A largish, masculine ring of solid platinum, set with seven precious stones within the royal family crest of Adelheim. On the inside of the band is the inscription: “To thy brothers and thyself be true”
For each of the other Kings' Items that are found and pledged to the same cause, a stone on this ring will begin to glow softly. As each stone lights up, a new benefit is bestowed upon the wearer.
- Amethyst (purple): Bonuses to diplomacy. The bearer's words have additional weight, and the force of his presence is enhanced during all social encounters. For each other stone that lights up, these bonuses increase slightly.
- Pearl (black): Disguises. The bearer gains the ability to change details about his appearance. These increase in number and power as the other stones also light up.
- Topaz (golden yellow): Charms. The bearer gains the ability to put others around him at ease. The number of people affected (and the potency of the charm) increases as more stones become active.
- Jacinth (fiery orange): Ability to speak other languages. Acts as a universal translator, with the bearer gaining greater fluidity as more of the stones light up.
- Emerald (green): Protective ward against missiles. Hampers the ability of assassins using long-range weapons.
- Ruby (red): Invisibility. The bearer suppresses his force of personality, becoming almost completely unnoticeable by others around him. They may still "see" him, but they will not react.
- Star Sapphire (blue): Telepathy. The bearer is able to sense the thoughts and feelings of those in the same room with him. He may even be able to communicate with one of them silently by focusing his will.
As with the other Kings' Items, the price of betrayal is quite high. If the bearer of this ring ever severs the trust of those who carry the others, it will lose all but one of its powers and the other bearers will become instantly aware that one of their number has betrayed them. The ring then acts as a minor cursed item when it comes to social engagements. The wearer will say more than he meant to, or his words will be misconstrued in the worst possible way. Offense will be taken where only good intentions were meant, and attempts at intimidation will be laughed off.
Chosen by Pharius The Diplomat. Golden-eyed and honey-tongued, Pharius was already highly skilled at court intrigue before being crowned one of the Seven Kings of Adelheim on his 25th birthday. With this ring he kept the kingdom safe from outside conspiracy, and became a renowned negotiator in times of both peace and war. After his death, it was preserved as a family heirloom within the royal vaults.
While most of the King’s items have abilities that must be activated, several of the Ring’s abilities are engaged all the time. When the bearer gains the ability to speak other languages, for instance, that ability never fades (unless the Ring's user or the enough bearers of the other items abandon the cause). It is left up to the GM which abilities to make passive, though bonuses to diplomacy and the protective ward against missiles are also good candidates.
In association with Johnn Four, and all the fine folks subscribed to his Roleplaying Tips Weekly mailing list, we bring you our second collaborative Quest!
Here's the required stat block template to use for your entries:
* Awesome Name
For an awesome description and guide to these stat blocks, check out Johnn's post describing it.
There will be three sets of *random* prize draws: Nov 7, Nov 21 and Dec 5 -- XP awards per normal as well!)
All entries submitted before each date will be eligible for each random draw. So enter early and often.
Thanks to Gator Games for their prize sponsorship!
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (8)-8
I want it.
'One Ring to rule them all'....
While its powers are quite subtle and at first low-powered, its wielded would be impelled to keep the users of the other seven items together, and with the growing powers of the ring, that might become quite easy. The ring-wielder better make sure that the cause they all pledge to is very favorable for him!
Still, these items and their backstory are simply fantastic.
I approve of this ring.
I tried to graze the other subs to see how they connected but didn't hit on a key. Is there something the owner does to activate these different powers? Quests or judgements he has to do for them to light up? I also didn't know what other items were meant "the others" as far as knowing when they were betrayed and losing powers. Seems that would be a good spot to itemize the items that were connected...or explain how the king links items with the ring if that is how it works.
This was the first one I read of the 'sevens.' Now it makes sense. What confused me was that there are 8 sevens I think. They don't count themselves I guess. :)
This is nifty! Very useful and pushes collecting :)