1. A towering Flower of Glass, free from debris and sea-life. Glittering and beautiful, what secrets does it hold?
2. An upside down Castle Turret, embedded in the bottom like a thrown spear. Remarkably intact given the likely violence of its journey here.
3. A Giant Skeleton, festooned with rusted chains and anchors.
4. An immense Stone Gear, so large that it's nature would not be discovered without mapping it. Otherwise, it seems like a strange stone building.
5. A school of Magpie Octopuses. Thieving little wretches.
6. A Stone Archway, covered in kelp. Perhaps an inactive portal? Remnants of a lost city?
7. What appears to be an Iceberg, sunken to the bottom against all physics.
8. A Small Chest, bound with many chains and padlocks. It contains the live disembodied head of a fell sorcerer. He can cast some magic, but is weakened - much of his energy is spent keeping himself alive. He will say anything to be brought to the surface and be brought into contact with his old followers.
9. Shipwreck! An Ancient Bronze-plated Trireme inhabited by undead sailors who appear as vaguely humanoid figures of billowing ink. Their weapons are still intact spears and gladius-like blades.
10. An Immense Conch Shell, nearly 15' in height. It is filled with air and inside can be found a somewhat batty sea-witch. The air is sustained through the efforts of the witch's tamed octopus followers, who make trips to the surface with airtight baskets to bring fresh air down to her.
11. The Whale's Graveyard - normally, whales simply drift away from where they perish. The whales in this region - of all types from the smallest to the largest, have adopted this area as their final resting place. Whale-bone exists aplenty, and the bottom is also home to very large and aggressive crabs.
12. The Pipe. A massive metal pipe protrudes from the sea floor. A cloud of toxic water issues forth from it. Where does it come from?
13. A Black Cloud. A great mass of a coherent, ink like-substance can be seen moving - even against the current. It is not heading towards the players, but is charging ahead with apparent purpose in another direction.
14. Music from the deep, seeming to originate from waters deep below, the PCs hear surprisingly clear music.
15. A Wonderful Sword, free from rust and barnacles - obviously magical. And of course, it is cursed, tossed here in attempt to free someone from it.
16. The shapes and forms of Dozens of Gravestones on the bottom. No other structures can be found nearby, and the water is quite deep.
17. A standing Whirlpool - looking like a submersed tornado. Within, someone screams for help. Anyone touching the whirlpool will be drawn inside, releasing someone trapped within. If an occupant is rescued without someone replacing them (ropes, etc), the whirlpool dissipates.
18. An Oil Lamp sits in a Massive Open Oyster Shell, lit and burning. Bubbles filled with smoke drift upward rapidly. Two giant moray eels lair nearby, having grown fat from the fish drawn by the light.
19. An immense Statue of a Human, perhaps five stories high. It is covered with coral and at first its nature is not clear.
20. A sandy field of Gems! On close examination, they are nothing more than beach glass.. They could be the lure for some nasty underwater predator, or the bower for an amorous one.
21. Perhaps due to some vast upheaval, a Relic of the Trench Dwellers has been brought up into the shallows.
22. A Necronautalis is chained to a post here. It belly contains a random assortment of undead in its belly it will disgorge if intruders investigate.
23. A huge Stone Boulder, the size of a house, floats above the sea-floor like a displaced planet. It is covered with coral and other creatures, and appears to have been here for quite some time. Is there something inside?
24. A giant Net, incredibly strong, has snagged on rocks on the bottom. It is full of long dead, recently dead and currently struggling sea creatures of all description. Nothing short of powerful magic or superhuman strength can cut the threads, suggesting a powerful divine origin. This is certain to draw marine predators in droves.
25. A Hydra Anemone - a massive anemone with snake-headed tentacles. If severed too far from the head, say 3' or more, the detached tentacle will fight independently like a sea snake. Of course its bite is venomous.
26. Some anomaly has created a Swarm of Voracious Sea Slugs. There's got to be dozens of em!
27. A number of Shipwrecks are lined up carefully, almost as if at port. This is a ship collection created by a Black Leviathan who helped sink some of these vessels and would not appreciate intruders.
28. A young girl hosting an Imaginary Tea Party with her stuffed animal friend. Just the sort of tea party you'd expect to see at some point in nearly every young girl's life. Just... you know... not on the bottom of the ocean. She doesn't seem to understand any reference to her current location and thinks you're playing make believe. (submitted by Longspeak)
29. A swarm of Intact Parchment Sheets flowing together like a school of fish, though milling around randomly. The sheets are from a book that was partially protected magically. All pages and the covers are nearby and apart from being unbound, undamaged. Some may be hidden inside shellfish or other hiding places. The book, when completed, is a spellbook with potent spells or perhaps some other magical work.
30. A Petrified Forest - hundreds of tall, leafless tree trunks, surprisingly bare of coral and barnacles. To the careful eye, even individual species can be recognized. At night, ghostly figures can be seen walking through the leafless forest.
Underwater adventure is the focus of our spring quest. From alien submersibles, to hidden seas and lost aquatic cultures. Challenge your creativity and submit anything dealing with what lies beneath the waves!
Earn extra XP and glory for submissions meeting these requirements. Once the quest closes there will be a vote for the top 2 quests. Prizes for the winners!
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (17)-17
Out wit ye!
A nice little sub useful for any underwater adventure.
I really liked it
Excellent list, perfect for the parties unexpected foray into the ocean and coast areas, easily adapted in part for more high tech games like Bule Planet as well.
26. Some anomaly has created a Swarm of Voracious Slug'>Voracious Slug. There's got to be dozens of em!
Would you fix that? Yea there's lots of them but no reason to write their name 2 times.
That actually was a problem with the site's link posting code.
All right now, big thanks. Great sub, I like non-banal encounter tables. AD&D sets just a boring list of monsters no spark of life
That's a large part of the charm of the Citadel, you get ideas that are often better fleshed out, (and often better written) than many sourcebooks.
Shameless self Bump. I like this one.
Tagging this in fav, comment another day, cheers. Good weaving *thumbs up*
P.S. Dossta's back and then gone again so apparently I have to stand in as leader of Weavers once again *wink*
Missed this one when it first came out. I really like...the whirlpool 'exchange', the lit lamp inside the giant oyster shell, the anchor-festooned giant skeleton, and Ls's tea party is just the right kind of freaky/creepy.
Solid. That is thirty things, a good grouping of idea seeds, thanks for bumping this
4.5/5 what axle siad
Okay, today is the another day I alluded to above. This sub is sth in true form of the 100 words and other such challenges, so much potential packed into so few words.
By the way, is this a new formatting style for you, to hide links within other non-links using bold? :P