The Dragon Carved Egg
The Dragon Carved Egg, is a perfect crystal egg, the size of a goose egg, etched with images of a pride of dragons. It grants the one holding it immunity from Dragon. This item is another Legacy of Corvus the Mad. In fact, his signature is written in tiny script in the edtchings.
The Dragon Carved Egg, is a perfect crystal egg, the size of a goose egg, etched with images of a pride of dragons. It grants one immunity from Dragon magiks and breath (which is a type of magik).
That is the one power it is sought for and fought over. However, it has another. The ability to manipulate any dragon anywhere int he world. This ability is not granted to the person holding it. This ability is only exercised by the Egg itself. Like many of Corvus items, it is intelligent and a bit odd.
The Egg has studied Dragons for over 1100 years. It has come to a simple conclusion: Dragons are annoying creatures. It uses its abilities to keep Dragons out of civilized lands or minimizes their impact upon a country. While humans are not annoying, the Egg considers them 'not yet interesting' and will not bother to communicate mentally with one.
The Egg is aware of its surroundings. It spends most of its time in quiet contempation and meditation about the universe. However, if there is a great deal of rudness or stupidity about, a dragon might be summoned to take care of the problem. If one dragon would not do, the Egg will call forth an army of them.
Long ago, Corvus created a vast number of magikal crystal orbs of various sizes, most of which were incorporated into other items. These orbs housed magikally created intelligences with the following powers:
1) The ability to influence and manipulate the minds of those around it to some degree.
2) The ability to communicate with any other Orb at any range, if it desires. The Dragon Egg will frequently converse with its immortal orb 'siblings'. The only orbs that are commonly contacted are the Glow Orbs of the Great Library.
3) The ability to block or diffuse the power of another orb, 100% magik resistance against orb magik. It can sometimes grant that ability to others or use the power at range.
4) The ability to be nearly unbreakable (they are crystal after all) This item can only be broken if thrown into a volcanic pit or other similiarly naturally hot location.
5) 1-5 Magikal abilities to fufill its original purpose as a tool for Corvus. They were originally made as assistants and aides for Corvus. Since they have outlasted him and anyone who knew much about them, they are now free to follow their own agendas.
The ability to manipulate Dragons anywhere in the world.
Immunity to Dragon Magiks, Breath, and Abilities. (Not immunity to Dragon claws and tails... much to the suprise of many adventurers.)
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (7)
It has been a few months now. I am slowly begining to like this Orb.
As a vague curiosity, does it exert a charm-like effect over the dragons? Do they willingly serve it, seeing it as something potentially able to outlive them and thus potentially wiser? Are there dragons who might be immune to the sphere's control? Does it make a difference if the dragon in question is exceptionally stupid or intelligent?
Nope. It is an annoying dragon related artifact Kassil.
I have always seen this as mind control of the 'You think this is your idea' variety. It controls you so you think it was your idea to come here and do that.
Dragons do not willingly serve it, but they don't know they are.
It might be an interesting thing, if the Dragons did worship it. They strive to please it and it thinks they are beneith its notice. Makes for an interesting higher power dynamic.
An Orb that might like being in a Dragon's hoard,where it has it's own dragon to control.
It can control dragons just about anywhere in the world, so it can be anywhere it wants. It actually finds dragons vain, egotistical, self centered, and predictable. They are annoying. It keeps them out of civilized lands and in the hinterlands. Civilization actually has been able to thrive because of the lack of dragons, all because of the orb.
It can simply scry upon them anywhere that it thinks about, and control from where it is. Yes, it is that powerful. But it is following its own council, it does not do anything the person wielding it would ask. However, since it grants its "wielder" immunity from Dragon magics and breath, it is still a sought after item.
Updated: fixing freetext
I like the personality of the item - it is amusing that it finds Dragon's annoying.