Mages will often pick up lots of charms and nicknacks over their lives. Some will just be symbolic, minor pluses for casting certain spells and some will just be pretty (not quite symbolic enough). Some will be things they picked up when they vanquished an 'opponent'. Some of it might be useful to an Evil mage, while others might be useful to a Good Mage. Some might even be useful for you, but probably not. Since you don't want to release this hard earned swag (others might use it against you, or somebody might realize you eliminated the opponent since you have their stuff, or it supports mages of the other side), you just hang on to it. Given enough time and research, you might be able to determine how to use all the items and destroy those that are dangerous to you. For now, they are just in a nice jewelry box you have stashed away.
Of course then you die and all your heirs see is a box of cheap nicknacks and minor antiques. Such is the problem with being a secret Evil Cultist or magical super hero.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (9)-9
Quite nice - I like the idea that a mage's junk might actually be possibly useful but more likely just junk, just as is the case with the rest of us who hoard things and throw them away. It would be good if you provided some examples though, either in the main submission or in the form of a scroll.
Um. Have you seen the rest of the Garage Sale from Hell thread? The Class Ring, the Cross, and any number of soul binding items would be in said box.
I could so see this happen.
And the award for the Most Descriptive and Palpable Submission Title, goes to...!!
'Thank You.. Thank you... I would like to thank everyone in my Evil Cult for making this possible.'
So I encountered this thread in the Random.
It set me thinking.
So this little box can be the start of a campaign.
1) Friday the 13th returns: You unknowingly sell the box's contents. Now someone "Of Power" comes by and says, "Retrieve them before they do undo harm.... or else." (Okay, the "or else" could be.. your soul will be dammed, or before they are used to conquor the world, or any such dire motivation).
2) You got the box. A demon or two associated with the items in the box are now yours to command.
3) You get the box and people know it. You are now being hunted by "The Forces of Evil" who want items out of the box. You, not being the archmage, are seen as easier pickings.
4) You have the box. The good guys and the bad guys are fighting around you to get the items.
A rather basic frame tale, opening up all the possibilities of the Garage Sale from Hell items/threads/etc. But, since it can be used for other stuff too, it gets a little extra boost of vote.
Allways a good thing to have in a game.
This definitely has possibilities...