The Orb of Corvin is a powerful magik item in the hands of a wizard (or magik user). It is a large, unweildy thing, being a large ball of crystal one cubit (2.5 feet) in length. It glows softly with an eldrich light. The stand is carved in intricate detail and has been enchanted to prevent the breaking of what ever is kept on it. (Why make a super powerful, unbreakable enchanted item, when you can simply make a simple item to prevent it from accidently breaking?)
In the hands of a wizard it allows for viewing anywhere in the realms where magik or chaos is present. (Instead of chaos you can choose Evil, or the forces of X, etc). It allows you to cast spells upon the scene you are viewing as if you were there. Those spells have the effect of one or two ranks higher than wizard by itself.
This item is one of the Orbs created by Corvus. It is intelligent and immortal. Because of its lawful good orrientation, it tends to nudge people towards stopping the plans of the The Dark Eye. The Eye suspects that an Orb is out there doing this, but does not yet know.
Long ago, Corvus created a vast number of magikal crystal orbs of various sizes, most of which were incorporated into other items. These orbs housed magikally created intelligences with the following powers:
1) The ability to influence and manipulate the minds of those around it to some degree.
2) The ability to communicate with any other Orb at any range, if it desires.
3) The ability to block or diffuse the power of another orb, 100% magik resistance against orb magik. It can sometimes grant that ability to others or use the power at range.
4) The ability to be nearly unbreakable (they are crystal after all)
5) 1-5 Magikal abilities to fufill its original purpose as a tool for Corvus. They were originally made as assistants and aides for Corvus. Since they have outlasted him and anyone who knew much about them, they are now free to follow their own agendas.
The items are immortal. Mortals are their playthings, their chess pieces, their hands.
The Orb protects those serving its interests from the Dark Eye (as the Eye does from the Orb), usually from its Scying, but sometimes from its magik as well.
In the hands of a wizard it allows for viewing anywhere in the realms where magik or chaos is present. (Instead of Chaos you can choose Evil, or the forces of X, etc). It allows you to cast spells upon the scene you are viewing as if you were there. Those spells have the effect of one or two ranks higher than wizard by itself.