For a Modern or Pulp Super Campaign. Could be adapted to other genres and settings.
Called simply Billy, or Doctor Feldsham, he likes to be called that. In his late twenties, he is an intern at St.Paul’s ER. Young, wild haircut, decent looks, he sure likes to flirt with the personnel and patients alike. He can be annoying, but he looks promising.
But Billy does have a secret. He can… smell. He found out only a year ago, when he was suddenly assaulted by all smells around. The adjustment period was pretty harsh, he refers to it now as ‘that horrible cold’. He learns to integrate it into his life, perhaps to do some good as a doctor.
Billy is a smart guy, but this is really not his specialty. He decided to keep it a secret, and it turned out a good decision. Okay, a few of his relatives know… and a friend or two… and most of his girlfriends learn quickly about his nose. Mostly not the full truth. Oh, and there is another doctor in his hospital he slept with once. Their relationship is strained, but she knows his potential, and helps him to cover it up.
Privately, there is not much to tell. Well, there is a brother and sister, and a mum that goes on his nerves about settling down, but that’s about it. Dad has died a few years ago.
Billy comes from the city he studied and works at. Some day, he wants to travel around a bit.
What he specializes on, are people. For a doctor a good nose offers a surprising amount of hints. That someone has drunk alcohol is trivial, the intake of more exotic substances takes some time to notice.
- With concentration and time, he can sense cancerous growths, that are not too deep in the body.
- If no other open wound is present, he can smell blood loss, even from covered places.
- He is quite sensitive to hormones, easily able to pick out women "in the mood". His love life has become so much more exciting… but not stable.
- Lately, he started picking up the more extreme moods of his colleagues and patients. One day, he might be able to detect lies from purely physical reactions.
- He also starts to pick up the ‘personal scents’ of people, and knows when people get close. So far it has cost him a girlfriend, and almost the friendship of his mentor.
- What he didn’t try yet, but may be able of, is to track by scent as a hound dog.
The friend - Billy can be a hero’s doctor, understanding well how can strange abilities bring you into trouble. Only his ability to keep secrets needs to improve.
The expert - need to find about a specific smell? Drag him out of the latest party, or from his new flame, and get him to work.
The suspect - his attempt to sniff at a patient closely was misinterpreted… now he needs to save his career without revealing himself. Help!
The finder - what if he finds someone very strange, or with no scent at all? What if becomes able to sense others with special abilities? Or you need someone to find the latest batch of robotic duplicates posing as humans.