This Glyph is a morass of molten metals, constantly shifting in an everlasting dance of silver, gold, and platinum. The surface of the Glyph slowly changes, but is always cool to the touch. It is roughly half a foot across and tall.
The symbol itself is etched with acid directly into the strange material used to create the Glyph. It seems to writhe when closely scrutinized, and anyone who tries to study the Glyph in depth usually ends of with a splitting headache. Although the number of lines used to create the Glyph are finite, they have never been counted.
The Glyph of Change can only be inscribed onto shields, amulets, or other relatively large, flat pieces of metal. Whenever its power is invoked, the Glyph glows brightly and produces one of thousands of possible, random effects. The Glyph must be targetted at a specific object or creature to work. Examples are:
1) Strands of webbing explode from the Glyph, entangling the target.
2) Ghostly corpselight illuminates the surrounding area in a 30-foot sphere, demoralizing the living and strengthining the undead.
3) The target immediately grows half of a foot.
4) The skin of the target begins to bubble and run, flesh turning molten and swirling into itself. Despite the horrific appearence, the target becomes immune to lesser wounds, which simply disappear into the tide of swirling flesh.
5) The target instantly changes gender.
6) A furious demon-portal is opened directly in front of the Glyph, and a monster of unspeakable horror suddenly sparks into existence.
7) Time stops for everyone except for the wielder and the target.
8) 101 doves explode out from the Glyph.
9) With a single sonorous note, the Glyph inspires feelings of peace in a sphere 100 feet in diameter.
10) The target is turned to solid gold.
11) A burning ray of sunlight strikes the target, searing his flesh.
12) The target immediately lays an egg, which is relative to its size. The egg does not hatch.
13) A psychic bond links the target and the wielder, and the winner of the mental duel that ensues seizes control of the other's body.
14) The wielder is immediately clothed in robes of the darkest shadow. The target is immediately covered with shimmering robes of white.
15) A spear manifests directly out of the Glyph and is hurled in a random direction. It homes in on the nearest living thing.
16) A large chair pops into existence directly behind the target.
17) The target immediately feels nourished and full.
18) The ears of everyone within a 50 foot sphere grow half a foot in length.
19) An enormous hand suddenly manifests halfway between the wielder and the target.
20) The target and everything (including floor, furniture, and atmosphere) in a sphere 10 feet wide are teleported 100 feet in the air.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (10)
'Impress your friends with your wand of wonder clone! Scribble this Glyph on a flat peice of metal and let the choas begin! Great at parties! Be the first on your blck to get one!'
Wand of wonder clone. not original at all.
I want to give you a two because it's well written, but it's just so over done.
Ouch. I was thinking of labelling this as an expansion to a wand of wonder, but decided to tie it in to a campaign theme. Guess not *grin*.
This sort of item (random effect, what could be better? Wee!) has been done to death.
On the upside, fairly interesting presentation, though one would think that people would come up with something more interesting to represent chaos than shifting colors. Meh. Y'know, just my cantakerousness speaking.
2/5, 'cuz I'm a generous guy and I like you, dig?
No background whatsoever. No sense or theme to the powers.
So why would the universe create a run of cosmic power run amok? Rune/ Glyphs have very specific purposes in every mystic tradition that has them... much like letters have specific sounds/ meanings.
This is just a way to create random effect charts for people who just like to mess around and feel powerful?
Besides, if it takes no skill or knowledge to make one of them... the world should be filled with them as traps and such. Don't like someone, slip this on their chair?
It would soon become against the law in most places to inscribe one of these (or have one).
2/5 because it's well written.
Understand that I love glyphs and such, and they are of importance to my setting. They are, to me, what orbs are to Moon (or what I presume orbs are to Moon :)).
Why on earth would anyone create such a glyph? Unless it was the very god of insanity and chaos himself who created this rune, out of some mischievous whim, it seems entirely illogical.
And... Have you read Dragonlance lately? The writhing runes reminded me of when I read about Raistlin, an 'evil' twin brother in that series, and when he tried to decipher a tome from another 'evil' magician. The runes were silver upon black leather and they were writhing, defying logic and causing him a headache.
I really like Randomness Items... I didnt think it was that bad.
I do thing random items have their place, maybe not in a serious campaign. I've seem some pretty funny episodes come from these types of items (Wand of wonder & Deck of many things).
If there was more to the item then just a list of random effects, I think it would be better received.
I hate random tables in games, but that is just me, I know some people that love them. This post just got run over by gaming snobs at the corner of dogma and bias. It is okay.