7 Hidden Blades
Sometimes it is not wise to carry a weapon. Noble dignitaries can't very well bring a sword to negotiate with a rival family, an assassin cannot walk into a public event with daggers on his belt and a priest with a dangerous past cannot risk his position in the church by carrying a dangerous weapon. However, that doesn't mean that carrying a weapon is not necessary. The following is a list of seemingly mundane items that contain a deadly, hidden blade.
- Fan: With a dark wooden frame and delicate white lace this fan is the perfect accessory for a fashion forward, victorian lady. And though the fluttering of her fan makes her seem innocent and genteel the fan itself holds a dark secret. Upon closer inspection the fan never closes completely, but sticks in a partially open state unless direct pressure forces it to close. Upon closing it completely a thin sharp blade slides out of the butt of the fan with a click, not particularly threatening but enough to kill whichever unsuspecting man happens to be dancing with her at the time.
- Umbrella: Even when its dark and rainy some must still walk through the dangerous streets to return home after a night on the town. For those people this umbrella might be useful. The umbrella is simple, a silver pole with black fabric. When the umbrella is open you can see a small button around the half way mark of the pole, just above a slit that goes around the circumference of the pole. When the button is pressed the top of the umbrella can be slid up to reveal a long, rapier-like blade which can be used to fend off an attacker.
- Hair Sticks: Geisha's are well known for the decorative sticks they wear in their hair. However, when a geisha is asked to entertain a man or group known for crime and cruelty this particular item could come in handy. When firmly placed in a hairstyle this item appears like a completely normal decoration: white with cherry blossoms painted in great detail. When pulled out of the hair it becomes clear it is anything but. The bottom half of the chopstick has been replaced with a thin dagger blade, sharp and deadly.
- Miniature Model: Many enjoy collecting small models or statues to remember the places they've been or events from their past. However, this is perhaps the only miniature model that could help you survive a break in. The model itself is a 7 inch long metal representation of the statue of liberty. Someone with a discerning eye would see that lady liberty's arm can easily be detached from its socket. What they might not see is that the shoulder is attached to a thin blade powerful enough to take an intruder off his guard.
- Crucifix: A hooded monk could be holding many secrets, the first of which he could be holding in his hands. This beautiful crucifix is gold plated and elaborately carved to honour the lord. It is large, perhaps ten inches long. One would normally hold the base of the crucifix, however, if one held the top of the crucifix they would feel that the halo carved just above the head of Jesus can be pressed in, at which point a blade suddenly slides out of the bottom of the cross. The blade is only slightly shorter than the Crucifix, essentially turning the cross into a short sword, easily capable of defending ones self against revenge seekers.
- Tube of Lipstick: This item was designed to protect oneself while in the bathroom retouching makeup. Upon noticing the approach of an attacker simply take this tube of lipstick out of your makeup bag and open the tube revealing a small pointed blade. This small blade is not capable of doing to much damage but can shock or stun an opponent if aimed for the right parts of their body.
- Comb: This comb is another item great for protecting yourself while retouching in the bathroom. The comb itself is purple and made of plastic with the comb section approximately 7 inches and the rounded handle another 7 inches. However, the two parts can easily be removed from each other revealing a dagger like blade attached to the handle, perfect for slashing at would be attackers.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (5)-5
Useful in any country where weapons are restricted or banned outright.
This sub deserves more then just me voting on it.
I like that it is based in reality, is well-written, and an altogether practical list.
I've seen ideas like a lot of these, but the blade hidden in the statue is new to me. Usually you think of a hidden blade as being something that can be hidden on your person, but home defense is rarely something that crosses one's mind in fantasy settings, beyond monsters and traps.
Nicely done. Succinct, practical, and useful!