Large towns or cities are great places for chance encounters because much of the world will pass through them at some time or another. In adventures a chance meeting can be a useful way to pass on a clue or a piece of information that the characters have missed or could be of use to them. They can also be used as the starter for a new adventure!
- A Wizard or Mage that the characters have dealt with before has returned to the city to visit the headquater of his order. On his way through the bustling city streets he might bump into one or all of the characters.
- A minor member of the clergy that the characters know has been summoned to the towns temple for an important meeting. He has barely any time to stop and speak with the characters and is visibly nervous about the upcoming appointment.
- A merchant the characters have had dealings with in the past is in town. If the characters should happen to pass by his stall he will recognise them and eagerly call them over to chat with them.
- A noble with connections to the players is in the capitol city to attend court. He becomes aware of the characters presence in the city and sends them an invitation to visit him where he is staying.
- A criminal contact has come to the city in search of the big score. His efforts haven't been rewarded yet but he is eager to catch up with the characters and to find out if they know anything that might help him out. He is more than willing to share some of the spoils should he be successful.
- A foreign character, possibly one the characters have met in a distant land has came to the city on business. He is somewhat bewildered by the country he is visiting, and is highly relieved to find the characters, whom he knows.
- A petty trader the characters know well, and ideally helped, came to the city and has struck it lucky. Now a member of the nouveau rich, he is delighted to see his old friends and keen to show off his new wealth. (This could possibly be combined with No.5)
- Someone the characters knew in a prosperous position tries to beg a few coppers from them before recognising them and eaglery introducing himself. He is keen to tell his sob story and wants help to regain something of his former status.
- The child of a contact has been sent to the city to study at its university in an attempt by his/her father to get him/her to grow up and make something of themselves, is living a riotous student life, which brings him into contact with the characters.
- A person the charactersn rescued from a criminal organisation (or other evil) is now in the city, training to become a member of the city watch. Far wiser and grimmer than he was, he is willing to aid the characters with his advice and contacts.
'It is by chance that we met, and by choice that we became friends.' - Unknown.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (8)-8
Good start....embrace the 30! ;)
I don't seem to have much of a choice, do I?
Certainly a good start. Many of those seem like the beginning of adventure hooks. If I feel inspired I may add a few ideas of my own.
A nice twist on plot hooks. Some philosophers will tell you that there is no such thing as a 'chance' meeting or encounter, but that is neither here nor there :)
Good! And this may inspire a Generator!