Needed-An ethical character with a long history of promiscuity and/or, preferably, a past love relationship.
Characters stop at a tavern or inn and find themselves the receivers of a sealed note by the proprietor. It is given to one particular character that fits the requirements above. Upon opening is a poorly scribed letter with the following:
It has been a long time since the caves of Thoras (insert one of the characters famous exploits that happened near a town where the character made love to a woman, or if he had a love interest the location could be anywhere). You may have forgotten me but I have far from forgotten you.
Remember in Thoras when you entered the throne room and killed the man wielding two swords? Well, that just happen to be my son. At first I thought to kill you would be my greatest triumph, but since then I have found a better end. What could equal the price that I had to pay I have wondered for such a long time. Well I finally found that equal price. The town of Warget (town of love interest or affair) familiar? I have your son!
He yet lives, for now. Go to the Timberwolves Gap and we shall see if you will be able to save him.'
Note: Takes some rather specific requirements to make it work but should be fun if it does.
1) The character should obviously have to care that he is a father. The town mentioned would be a storm of memories either from a past love or a favorite 'house of ill repute.' The fact that he could have had a child should be overwhelming.
2) Perhaps use an enemy that has been their nemisis and trying to kill them for quite a while. This enemy could have just recently stumbled upon, or finally found, the fact that the player has an offspring.
3) Through notes, the enemy could lead the players on a host of false leads and wrong turns into some rather dangerous surroundings and/or booby traps. Through clues at each site, or questioning of key enemies they could possibly discover the true location of the player's son.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (8)
What if the whole thing is a case of mistaken ID, & it wasn't the charcter they were after (nor is it his son, but he doesn't know).
so simple. yet so ingenious. Thanks for creating my next campaign hook!
here's an old candidate for a new scroll. Tales of Adventure! Should I link it Strolen, or do you want to touch it up first? :)
Great simple starter! Right ready to go!
I agree with Melvins Cat: this would be fun to play as a mistaken identity. Not only would the characters feel compelled to save a child, but it would add the mystery of tracking down the real father. Even better if there is a chance one of the characters is the father but finds out through the course of the adventure that he is not.
Alright, so my party's mage is probably not ethical enough right now for me to pull this off, but who knows where he'll be in 9 months of game time? I'm probably voting it higher than I normally would for such a short submission, but it is so perfect for my needs, so easily adaptable and so much fun, that I have to. Thanks for the idea -- and the evil grin.
A fun way to throw an unexpected twist into the adventuring lifestyle of the group, with bonus points if the kids location is inside a kingdom/land the characters are now exiled from or otherwise enemies with the rightful rulers of.
Quite the hidden treasure lurking in the crypts Strolen!