Adventurers are hired by a local guild to collect some overdue debts. Many of their jobs go by with no or a lot of trouble. They finally come across the rather large debt of Lord Hubet. A few questions and following a couple leads the PCs come to find that Lord Hubet has taken out quite a few advances from a couple different guilds. Just enough to dodge the prying questions but enough to make the guilds more then a little angry. Seems it was a job that only could have been pulled off by somebody that was/is on the inside. If any of the loans were only 100 gold more they guilds would have dug into Lord Hubet and verified his stories. As it was though he chose an amount to arise no suspicion, hence no probing questions.
They were all told that the would be reimbursed the past week when his caravan arrived.
More investigation will dig that not too long ago one of the less lawful guilds robbed a coach of a few boxes they hoped contain valuables. They only got boxes of clothes and marble statues for their troubles. But the box of clothes and one of the guild apprentices has disappeared. The apprentice was very new so the guild would find him sooner or later and he went by the name Jimmy.
1)Jimmy could be from a rival guild from a different city sent to infiltrate and embarrass the guilds of this new city.
2)Could be just a smart street rat that got his money and ran
3)Could be really Lord Hubert that doesn't like the lordship too much and only dresses/acts the part when he needs something. Otherwise he enjoys mingling with the common folk. The caravan is simply late and Lord Hubert was simply stalling till it arrived. He knows the borrowing limits from the guilds in his city and simply didn't want a big stink going on about his arrival.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (3)-4
4) Maybe Lord Hubert was being duped by the guilds: they could have found out about his little monetary scheme and hijacked the caravan themselves (via the less reputable guild), before sending in the collectors. The collectors would then be caught between the wishes of their nefarious employers and the will to do justice. They could even try and break into the guilds' headquarters to find incriminating evidence.
Nice simple plot. The write up was a little hard to follow.
Collections agents - now that could be a good job for a bunch of PCs - having to walk the fine line between legitimacy and larceny.