30 Odd Laws
Laws can be strange things - things that made sense at one time become silly or nonsensical. Apart from creating unique anecdotes, laws can help illustrate the values of the people that made them and help build up the culture. More actively, some laws can act as traps for foreigners and other outsiders, allowing blackmail, imprisonment or worse.
In Work - Public
1. Dogs are forbidden in the Temple District, on pain of death. To the Cult of Elhindir Dogs an an athema, for the child of the Great Queen was devoured by a wild pack. Deaths is proscribed for both dog and owner.
2. One specific day of the year, archery in all its forms is forbidden, for that is the day great King Alsaphir was struck down by an arrow while at tourney. His Queen, now ruler, so decreed. Punishment is removal of several fingers on the archer's drawing hand, and in the case of a crossbowman, the entire hand. Should the offender be caught by the Queen herself, a worse punishment is likely.
3. Only vessels of clay or metal may be used to contain wine, for the Lord of the Land ..
4. Puppets may only be constructed by members of the Puppetmaker guild. This law is taken very seriously.
The truth is the town is haunted by a demon who could only possess puppets, and so careful rituals need to applied on their construction.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (3)-3
OOOOOH. Finish this one!
Open for suggestions. I ran dry pretty darn fast on this one :)
Tagged this in my Favs, might be able to contribute some from this ancient Chinese novel that I read or just dreamed up a few of my own.