The Peculiar Flask of Ever-Changing Oddities is found.
When the flask is found, it should be locked away with three scrolls. One scroll documents all known effects the flask has on the drinker. Another scroll has the history of the flask and how it ended up here. The third scoll contains the following research done by the self-proclaimed, "world-renowned" alchemist, Fitchinger (fitch-in-ger) the Great. This research into the magical properties of the flask states: "Bavmor could not possibly have known that the flask was incomplete due to the magical method of creating this flask. Had Bavmor taken an alchemical approach, he would have known that 10 more ingredients have yet to be found. Being an invalid, I, Fitchinger the Great, cannot venture forth to gathering the remaining ingredients. These obvious formulae precisely dictate what the remaining ingredients are. Each ingredient will refine the magic of the flask by will removing 2 negative and 2 positive outcomes from the flasks random effects." The scroll then details elaborate formulae that don't make any sense. The missing ingredients are listed thus:
- The beak of a vulture who ate from the body of a human, ground to powder using a crystal from the Hyperion Mines.
- A tear from virgin princess.
- The ashes of a piece of cloth soaked in the sweat of a priest.
- A platinum coin smelted in the fires of a dragon's breath.
- An ounce of tar from the underwater tar lake in the Blackened Swamp.
- A wing from a pixie, frozen and broken into crumbs.
- The canine tooth of a vampire smashed to powder by a dwarven smithing hammer.
- A child's dream.
- An ounce of milk exposed to the wail of a banshee.
- A strand of hair from siren.
For each ingredient added to the flask, allow the owner to select any two outcomes to be stricken from the list. As GM, you should select two positive outcomes. By the time all ten ingredients have been added, the flask should be safe to drink and not too overpowered for your campaign.
Each ingredient should require some preparation, but they should not require an entire quest. Give the players a Dream Catcher NPC who claims that he can catch dreams in a bottle for a price. Make a quest that requires the players to venture near the Blackened Swamp, and put them on a ship where the captain warns them of a nearby siren.
With each ingredient, carefully select very positive and powerful outcomes to remove. Let the players know what outcomes were removed. This will give them full knowledge to choose to add more ingredients or to settle with what they have.