A Field Guide to Werewolves - Lycan
There are two forms of these peculiar species of Were's. In order to explain the two we need to go back to antiquity to the original lycan. Lycaen Botheric was of noble birth, honor bound and dutiful to his family and subjects, always placing others before his needs. The Gods saw this and doubted his resolve and tested him countless times to see his worth. Always placed others before himself and suffered for it but never once faltered. Then after years of this punishment the Gods saw him fit and his soul true and went to him.
*Side note. Rumor had me following a trail of dusty clues to a remote part of the northern mountains were I met a man strong of arm and shoulder, a kind yet predatory gleam in his eye, a small wisp of gray peppering his crown. The small town he was in was not on any map I could find and all had similar looks to them as if a long family line was bred there. I spoke at length with this man who was seemingly in charge of my travels and my adventures. Although when asked he simply said he did what was asked and offered much more. He had a small family around him. A wife and three children all with the same caring yet predatory eyes. When I spoke of hunting were creatures I could tell his eyes were saddened but also did not judge. He enveloped me with his entrusting nature that could not be overcome. As I write this I now believe him to have been Lycaen Botheric who has been silently growing a family of fellow Lycans around him for the centuries he has been absent from the world. Perhaps to combat his youngest son Lycaon and his packs of ill tempered brood.
- They all stand on two legs and are covered in thick fur.
- Their claws are elongated, five fingered hands that can shear through planks of wood and cut deep into the flesh of horse. * I have seen one disembowel a man almost severing his top from his legs. Ghastly sight that was. I've still have dreams about it.
- Lycan's can change at will.
- Lycaon's can only change on the full or new moon.
- All Lycaon's are ill tempered and have a thirst for blood where Lycan's are individuals who choose their path.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (7)
Tis' a worthy project. A catalogue of lycanthropy, starting with the grand-daddy of them all. The original were-wolf. I also like the distinction you provide for Lycan/Lycaon. Good amount of pertinent detail in this one! So this is Jim Butcher inspired.
Yes sir it was...
Not creatures to mess with.
I like the history; that sets it apart from and makes it unique.
Please continue! The only downpoint is that the name Lycan and similar reminds me of the disasters that are the Underground-movies...
The word Lycan was taken as an abbreviated form of Lycanthrope... the similarities between the name and the movies are simply that, just a similarity. But rereading these has made me want to finish the codex.