llamaenterhear

Author Topic: The Citadel's Fiction Anthology has a 'new' issue on Amazon.  (Read 1573 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
“I love having written, I hate writing.”
Dorothy Parker

We had the copy editing done in January, and the epub is out in June. 

Fade.

I Faded. There was never a conscious choice to delay releasing the epub.   I always intended to work on the epub and most days I did not.  I could blame things, but that is irrelevant, I said I would do it and I did not do it.  So, this five-month delay of the release is all on me. 

But the Day You Die issue was never on time.

We kicked this effort off in December 2017.  Why did it take over a year?

The project needed a motivator/leader.  I underappreciated this. I thought as long we created place for people to put their writing and paid them for it, they would write. But looking back,  throughout this process it took encouragement, proding, and antagonism to get people to write. Writing doesn’t give you quite the positive feedback of playing a song well, or even running an RPG for your friends. So when pushing people to write I’ve found they need direction, timelines and an audience.   I wasn’t able to be the ring master this time. We also needed people to write to a task and deadline and not fault their muse or whatever BS.  In 2017 I had a new job, a new baby and started a company. I wanted to write but didn’t manage my time and energy well enough to also dedicate space to cultivating and encouraging writers.  So we were always short on content.

Fiction is not what the citadel is about. The Citadel is an idea guild and RPG hub.  Writers, who want to craft prose and tell complete stories go somewhere else.  We got a lot of people that had ideas for things like motorcycle cults or religious themed steam punk mechs, but didn’t have storytelling or writing in mind.  So we, in this community are not supportive of this type of writing, and don’t have framework for editing or finishing.  So we were always short on content.

My Story:  My story got out of hand.  I wanted to do to two things with my story, put a Dashel Hammet/Raymond Chandler style character and setting in Lovecraft type plot and describe comicbook images through prose.   It wasn’t a story I loved.  But it was ambitious project.Too ambitous for this thing, I spent a lot of time working on it. I didn’t publish an academic paper cause I was working on this d**n story.  And at the end of the day it is still just a punch line story.  But I had to finish it.   I am glad I did, I enjoyed the process, but being that we were always short on content, I should have chosen a simpler less self-indulgent project.

This epub has been a stone around my neck for a year.  I haven’t written for fun in all that time cause I should have been working on this d**n thing.   But it is out there.  We went through three copy editors, we rejected more stories than we ever had before and it was lot of work just to get to January, but it is out there.  And I proud of it, warts and all.

My favorite part of this process was working with Tim on his story.  Tim (Mageek) wrote this fantastic setting and imaginative setting, and he knew the story he wanted to tell.  I find it so gratify when the writers get share the creative process, look at the bones of the story, discuss what works and what doesn’t work.  The discussion and dissection of the stories on the road to a finished product is what I love the most.  So thanks to all of you for letting me be a part of that.

Please Citadel Members go read this latest issue of Excursions.   

Special Thanks to those that supported the writers.

Vaaladar for the Cover Art

Fantomax for the cover design

And Strolen for being the story editor.

Please check out the latest issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4KLJ94/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Day+You+Die+Excursions&qid=1560561930&s=gateway&sr=8-1

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:36:16 PM by axlerowes »