llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [DungeonCrawl] Expressions of Interest  (Read 2906 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
[DungeonCrawl] Expressions of Interest
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:22 AM »
DungeonCrawl!

Welcome to DungeonCrawl! In celebration of me finally getting my first proper core rulebook (Pathfinder, for father's day.), I thought it would be fun if I made up a forum game which focused largely on Dungeoneering! Traps, Monsters, Mysteries, Loot and XP all lie within the walls of the Dungeons!

The game will be largely set within a single dungeon. There will probably be options to return to town if necessary to rest and heal or get more gear, but the main segment of the game is the dungeon.

Characters will be made using the Pathfinder System, and any of the core classes and races may be used. Knowing the basics of Pathfinder would be handy, but it isn't 100% necessary (i'm still learning myself!) I'll roll the dice for some things (Such as skills like perception, and initiative in combat situations). If you need help creating your character i'd be happy to try and help out (though there are probably more qualified people than I to help on this site!)

The life of the game will probably be somewhat limited in nature (Completing the dungeon), but if the game is a success there will be options to continue with further dungeons using your characters (and the xp, levels and gear they earned from their previous dungeon!), and i'll expand it to be a more in-depth game, but for now i'm trying to focus on simplicity and fun than detail.

I'm thinking 3-4 players max. Players start at level 1 and can have a have a previous relationship with other players (feel free to work it out with one another), or have just met them recently in the town. It would be handy if the party got along moderately well - a little drama or eccentricity is fine of course, but lets veer away from loners and chaotically evil personalities.

Below is a quick overview of the region I will be playing this game in.

Sen-Rab

Welcome to Sen-Rab - a swampy region rife with crocodiles, snakes and brigands. The marshy jungle is the perfect place to hide for many thieves and ne'er-do-wells!

To the South lies Gama-Sol, the thriving capital of Sen-Rab, which lies atop a hill, rising outside of the marshes and overlooking the massive forest below.

To the West lies the tumultuous JadeSea, named for the way it appears to shine a brilliant green with the rising and setting of the sun.

To the North is the forboding Karikun Desert; a place known for it's harsh, unforgiving terrain, savage natives and deep mystery.

The East of Sen-Rab borders the plains of Ralkhara, it's borders defined by the rapids of the mighty Nyhaul river. This river floods incessantly, but due to all of Ralkhara being a higher terrain, the flood water spills throughout Sen-Rab; largely the reason that the land is so swampy.
The Ralkharans and Sen-Rabbins hold a flimsy truce, though war and skirmishes often erupt between the two nations.

Somewhere just north of the center of Sen-Rab is a patch of swamp called The Muck. It is where water pools and large amounts of rotting plant matter create a stagnant area which, though rife with disease is also abundant with life - Mosquitoes attract their superiors in the food chain and animals gather here to feed.
It is here in The Muck that the settlement of Werstone lies.

Werstone

Werstone is a ramshackle settlement built of hardy ironwood; it is constructed on a slight hilly rise within the Muck that is comparatively dry and safe from flooding. In the surrounding land, farmers make a living by growing hardy plant-life such as mushrooms, and rearing Swamp Turkeys and a breed of Giant Capybara known for their sweet flesh.

With a population of only about 1500, and another couple hundred farmers about, most people with Werstone know each other - and just as well, because the nearest village is several hours away. The relatively dry and pleasant Gama-Sol is some days travel to the south.

Due to their isolation, the folk of Werstone are often left to fend for themselves when faced with obstacles such as bandits or other hazards. The Royal Guard is loath to travel out into the Muck.

The Scenario

There have been problems down in the Muck. At first it was just farmers complaining that some of their Swamp Turkeys and Capybaras had been stolen, prompting thoughts that a carnivore was getting brave and poaching from the farms; especially when panther tracks were spotted around Gefri's farm. But when farmer Tar-Sul went missing along with half the possessions in his farmhouse, the folk of Werstone realized something more sinister was afoot!

Demy-Sefrab, the grizzled leader of the Werstone, sent a hunting party out to find traces of farmer, and panther and boot tracks were found, leading them to the entrance of a natural cave always thought to be haunted, several miles into The Muck. As always, rumor spread: Stories surfaced about a crazed hermit and his panther pets, preying on farmers in the area. More fantastic tales abound of a crazed Druid out for blood who can turn into a panther, dubbed Nightpaws by the locals. Whatever the case, it cannot be left un-investigated.

Demy-Sefrab is offering 500 gold pieces to whoever - local or traveler - is brave enough to enter the cave and uncover the mystery of Werstone's stalker.

Where you come in!

You and a few others have offered to investigate this cave for Demy-Sefrab to see if you can find the missing farmer and learn what is going on in The Muck! You have all traveled together through the muddy jungle and have arrived at the entrance of the cave. The next moves are up to you!

Character Background Aid

Below is a list of several societies and nationalities which could be made into characters. Feel free to make your own up if you like - just run it by me via PM first. Otherwise, take your pick from below. They each have recommended races and classes but this is by no means a strict list - you can make any nationality into any class or race you like if you wish.

Sen-Rabbins: Very prominent ancient Egypt influences, if Egyptians happened to live in a swampy jungle. The leader; the Khira, is worshiped nearly as a god-on-earth. Other gods are represented by the animals native to region (Crocodiles, Snakes, Rats, Mosquitoes, Panthers), usually in the form of an animal-headed human. Slavery is not uncommon, and great tombs are erected throughout the jungle by them in homage to past Khiras - many of which are forgotten and lost within the jungle and overrun with villains, vicious animals or worse. Outside of Gama-Sol (the capital) Most Sen-Rab inhabitants live in smaller settlements within the Jungle, farming and hunting to make a living and sending tribute in form of a percentage of whatever gold they make to Gama-Sol and the Khira.

Recommended Classes: Hunters, Sorcerers, Druids, Clerics.
Recommended Races: Humans, Elves, Half-Elves.

Ralkharans: Knights and Valor, Castles and Honor. The Ralkharans live their lives under the rule of the King and his Lords and Dukes. Ralkharan Society shares similarities with Medieval England and Knights-of-the-round influences. The Ralkharans tend to believe in the One-God; a single deific entity. Some Ralkharan zealots are very strong-minded on this subject and take it on themselves to send missionaries into other lands to try and spread the word of the One-God. This is the cause of many conflicts in neighboring countries; especially Sen-Rab whose Khira swiftly and violently rebukes all suggestions of gods outside of the Sen-Rabbin pantheon.

Recommended Classes: Paladins, Fighters, Clerics, Wizards.
Recommended Races: Humans, Half-Elves, Gnomes, Dwarves.

Hyparican Seafarers: The isles of Hyparica rest in the eastern Jade Sea and is technically part of the Sen-Rabbin borders, though the Hyparicans will laugh at such a ridiculous notion. Fishermen, Pirates, merchants and swashbucklers are they; tellers of tales and sea-hardened old-salts. The Hyparicans believe in the same pantheon that Sen-Rabbins do, however they don't much care for the idea of the Khira and his supposed god-like state. Hyparican Seafarers travel to the mainland often to trade fish and collect supplies. They are considered friendly enough but untrustworthy and are treated with suspicion - the Gypsies of the seas; often more things than supplies go missing after a Hyparican visit, it is said; teenagers swayed by the lure of freedom on the seas are thought to sometimes run away with them, setting sail with the Hyparicans when they leave for their isle.

Recommended Classes: Rogues, Barbarians, Warriors, Bards.
Recommended Races: Humans, Half-Orcs, Halflings, Dwarf.

Ouzquin Dremorix: Sen-Rab's border technically includes the Karikun desert, and centuries ago the Khira of the time sent vast armies within the desert to tame it and properly claim it's denizens as his own. What his armies met within the desert was Horror and slaughter. The savages of the desert defended the harsh desert fervently and with unmatched skill, and the Khira declared the Karikun desert as a place of death, cursed by the gods.
Times have changed, though: recently, the 'savages' of the Karikun Desert have begun to branch out. The Ouzquin Dremorix are an ancient, honorable race; they revere glass, lightning and storms through their god, Axtrami. They follow the will of Axtrami; to be like glass - Hard and Sharp and clear, hiding nothing about themselves and biting back if mishandled. They usually wield a spear-like weapon called an Ouzala, which boasts jagged glass teeth along the entire shaft which is used to saw their enemies. They fight viciously but with a finesse that is hard to match. Physical prowess is not the Ouzquin Dremorix's only domain, though; magical talent flows through through many Quinnix bodies, and they make accomplished Wizards.
The Ouzquin Dremorix are still treated with a superstitious fear by some Sen-Rabbins, but the Ralkharans and Hyparicans are more curious than fearful of the Quinnix folk.

Recommended Classes: Monks, Fighters, Hunters, Wizards, Clerics.
Recommended Races: Human

At the end of the day, this is just an expressions-of-interest thread - I would like to see who is interested in playing a game like this, and if it's worth drawing out a dungeon to play it. So! If this sounds like something you could get into, let me know!

:zap:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:00:31 AM by Shadoweagle »
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
Re: [DungeonCrawl] Expressions of Interest
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
Colour me interested. No ideas yet, and I prefer roleplaying over battles, but I'll try anything once and the more Campaigns active, the more likely that at least one of them is updated. Plus it'll be fun to see how you're like as a GM. :)
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
I have thought long and hard on whether to venture into the sick, twisted depths of whatever dungeon you could conjure up, shadoweagle, and I have made a decision. I shall be the Ouzquin Dremorix cleric, delving into the swamp with my Ouzala in hand in the name of Axtrami. Prepare for death, ye monsters in the Muck; for Axtrami's light shall wash over you, and you will see your death in the mirrors of his eyes.  :mace:

So, yeah, I'm in. And I call cleric, if you didn't catch that from the above.

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
An auspicious choice, Caesar!

Also, lets let this thread be a discussion board about what players want, too: if there are things youi would to see or experience, let me know. For example, Gossamer says she likes the roleplaying aspect of forum games, so i think i will add opportunity to do that in game, too.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
I think I'll join. Need some time to come up with a character concept. :)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Okey doke, three seems like a good number to start on. If anyone else would still like to join in, make your interest known in this thread!

Now, I know Caesar has already called an OD Cleric, but just a thought: how would you guys like it if we kept all info, stats and classes to ourselves, to be revealed though gaming and role playing? Or if you want you can reveal classes and description for some balance (although I really dont mind if there's stacked classes; I can work with it :D) If we choose to hide all info, Caesar, you are welcome to stay as that cleric or pick again.

We dont have to do it this way; I just thought it might be a fun option - three strangers band together with no prior knowledge of their personalities or abilities, and it is all revealed as they struggle to stay alive in a hostile environment! Who knows how they will react to one another!?

What are your thoughts?

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
I think thats a great idea. I do think we should reveal the bare minimum, however, such as race, class, and country of origin (unless, of course, there isn't enough physical differences to differentiate between two the natives of two areas). That way we don't get, say, all bards, and get slaughtered when a goblin taps us on the shoulder ;). Basically, just tell each other right off the things we'd be able to see. If your really strong, id think that my character would be able to see bulging muscles, though the actual number would be a mystery.

Besides that, how are we determining ability scores?

caesar193
LEVEL SEVEN
Dwarf-level one

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
Yup, im cool with that Caesar, if everyone else is. Class, region of origin, race and basic physical description including things such as height, frame, hair, clothing; whatever you would see of someone at a glance.

Also Caesar, check your inbox - I sent you your scores already as well as a bit of extra into re: ouzquin dremorix.

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
So we keep the character sheets to ourselves then(with the exception of the GM of course)? Got it.  :chain:

Some questions;

Are any races/classes off limits?
Do we get traits?
Is there any equipment that doesn't exist in your world, like gunpowder technology for instance?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:14:19 AM by Gossamer »

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
No races or classes are off limits, except for an Ouzquin Dremorix Paladin (I have plans for them not related to the game, but for now, there are no paladins of Axtrami.)

You may each start with two traits.

Classic fantasy/medieval type equipment - no Gunpowder :)

Also, regarding questions on spell recharging and languages by Gossamer:
I was tossing up being strict and saying that you'll have to return to town or rest up somewhere at your own peril for 8 hours, but now i'm reconsidering. I don't think I want you to just be able to recharge instantly after every battle, but running back to town non-stop could get tedious :p
Let me see...

How about this: To recharge your spells, you need an hour of rest, plus an hour of study, so two hours of pausing to fill up your spell reserves. This way, you can't just throw spells around willy-nilly, but you're not left with a squishy wizard once your spells are drained. You must decide whether it's worth stopping the group to rest up, or just soldiering on. Also, resting may or may not have repercussions; there could be interruptions, and it potentially gives dungeon dwellers time to move around and such (They may also notice signs of you).
Other spellcasters will have the same spell recharging rules.

How's that sound?

Also, regarding languages; Each of the races will have their own language, and there will be common, which everyone will know - I haven't thought too much on languages though. So lets say there's languages for each classic race (such as Dwarf, Elf, Gnome etc.) and then there's languages for each area (Quinnix (Ouzquin Dremorix), Rabble (Sen-Rab) and Ralkharan. There's also Esgol, which will be the language of the Dwarves of Esgoloth, a high-altitude, mountainous frozen region north of the Desert and Ralkhara.)

Don't sweat the small stuff, this world's a work in progress, and it will be expanded as the game progresses, hopefully! :)

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
Is there one more spot? I hear dungeons are full of Echoes ;)
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:50 AM »
Sure thing Echo! Thattle cap it for now, though I think!  :thumbup: Still, if others are interested they can still register their interest in this thread.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
In regards to the sped up spell-reset system; it will be on a trial run through this dungeon. If and when the game continues on after the dungeon, I may put it up for review :D

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
For those of your considering an Ouzquin Dremorix, here's some miscellaneous info for you:

___
As an Ouzquin Dremorix, you will start with an Ouzala. These are varied, but are usually roughly 6-8 feet long, wooden and gently curved, with a glass spearhead and teeth 1-2 inches long, running down one edge. Apart from this, they can be personalized to however your character sees fit. Feathers adorning it, or inscriptions carved into the wood are common decorations.
Ouzalas are a stabbing and slashing weapon, and deal 1d10 damage, 19/20 x2 crit..

All Ouzquin Dremorix wear a sturdy circlet upon their heads, in which is set their glass sphere which represents their life. The sphere is adorned with an engraving of your choice (For example, my old OD character, Moruz, had a scorpion engraved on his.)

Names (and the language) of the Ouzquin Dremorix are often harsh, and usually make use of X, Z, S, A, I and T.

Example male names: Azli, Kezami, Vix, Inariel.

Example Female names: Sezzat, Caxli, Trisli.

All Ouzquin Dremorix have faith in Axtrami, although the way they see their god differs from most traditional beliefs: They see Axtrami as the giver of trials: Axtrami is not the guardian standing in front of the cowering subject, protecting them from danger - he is the person at their back, laughing as he pushes his faithful into harms way, but congratulating them when they overcome the danger.
As far as the Ouzquin Dremorix are concerned, the trials and tribulations of the world are Axtrami's doing, but only so one may learn to overcome it.

This kind of ideology gives most Ouzquin Dremorix an accepting attitude of just getting the job done, and gives them a wry sense of humour outlandish to others:  they tend to find it amusing when things take a turn for the worse.

Saying Axtrami's name in vain and cursing is perfectly acceptable. Also, Axtrami's followers are usually pretty accepting of other religions

All this info is generalized, though -> Feel free to make your character however you like!

God: Axtrami
Alignment: Neutral (Clerics can be NG, NE, LN, CN.)
Portfolio: God of Storms, The Desert and Glass.
Domains: Weather, Earth, Artifice, Knowledge, Repose. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains)
Favored Weapon: Ouzala

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »
I am finished with my character, so I figured I'd post now what my fellow PCs will see:

He is a human Ouzquin Dremorix, as is apparent by the ouzala he carries easily in one hand when traveling and by the plain circlet with its glass orb prominently featured. He wears leather armor to permit air flow. Thrown over his shoulders is a backpack, travel worn, which has a curious stench of certain alchemical pastes and compounds.

His skin is bronzed from his years in the desert, and he has dark black hair and brown eyes. He keeps his face clean-shaven.

He is, by the way, a cleric, and has the healing niche of the party covered.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:01:42 PM by caesar193 »

caesar193
LEVEL SEVEN
Dwarf-level one

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
So, the world we are in is called Asydia; i've been filling out bits and pieces of it, and it has several threads in the Setting Forge section (http://strolen.com/guild/index.php/board,13.0.html). I've done some basic info on Esgoloth and Ralkhara, and Sen-Rab is next.

http://strolen.com/guild/index.php/board,13.0.html

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »
Likewise finished with my character!

Sigurd is a Ralkharan, long red hair braided, beard trimmed short, blue-eyed and tall, of a sunny disposition.
According to attire, he's a knight of the realm, and clad in Ralkharan 'casual' fashion, i.e. scale mail, horned helm and large shield.
The muck of the swamp has done its best to sully his blue-white tabard, but otherwise, he's as well-kept as the circumstances permit.

I'll fulfill a tanky-fighty role, if the above did not make it clear.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
Very good! We are nearing completion!

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
Nim-Ty-Lin is a young woman and apparent scholar, with the pale skin and dark hair typical for the Sen-Rabbin.
She is very good looking but has only a single pair of silver sun-shaped earrings,  somewhat atypical for the ladies of her people.
The crossbow she carries casually would appear somewhat out of place if it were not for the harshness of their surroundings.

She has given away her caster nature through the casual use of her Mage Hand cantrip.

(Such a sweet cantrip.. )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:50:58 AM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
*I wanted to wait till after I found a picture, but it's soooo hard to find a picture of a guy with a tiara/coronet kind of thing.

Zelas, is a middleaged human male Ouzquin Dremorix, broad of shoulders and reasonably tall, not neccessarily overly muscular, but quite burly with the beginnings of a beer gut. Seen either with a well groomed beard or cleanly shaved. He's clad in a colourful robe, with a big backpack. Perhaps strangest of all, is the jar of leeches hanging by his side and the wrapped baby peeking up from his left shoulder. He smells of smoke and sour beer. By his right leg hangs an ouzala of exceptional quality.

And he is a wizard.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »
Very good, everyone! I have tomorrow off and expect to begin the journey then! We have some interesting characters and I'm actually more excited to see the roleplaying aspect of not knowing squat about each other than the dungeon! :D

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
General house rules and thoughts

Just a couple of things I thought i'd run by you all which will hopefully make the game run a little tidier. All these thoughts are up for discussion and negotiation if you don't agree with them.

Initiative

To make life easier and speed up the game slightly, I thought that I would roll initiative for everyone whenever a combat starts. That way we won't have to wait for everyone (and their timezones) to roll their initiative before anything can happen. When combat begins i'll post up the initiative order in the OOC thread (which will be a separate thread from this), and everyone can post in the respective order. If someone fails to post for 24 hours (real life does happen; don't stress about it!) and it's their turn on the initiative list, i'll post their action based on their Standing Orders (See below) to keep the game-flow going.
Before anyone's next action is registered, everyone must have a turn (I've learned my lesson from previous games :D); the exception being if someone is disabled in some way.

Outside of combat, people may make actions in whichever order they wish.

Standing Orders

I would like everyone to PM me their standing orders. These are actions that I will take in your absence in the event that you are unable to post. This way, I can keep  generally in-line with what your character would do in a combat situation. I don't want anything fancy, just some very basic guidelines. Here is an example:

Moruz: Fighter lvl 1 - Standing Orders
Normal: Moruz will attempt to perform Power Attacks with his Melee Weapon.
Low HP: Moruz will either fight defensively, or retreat to range and attempt to use his crossbow.
Special: If someone else has low HP, Moruz will try and attack and distract whoever is attacking that person.

Combat Rolls

You may make all combat rolls if you like (I will trust and assume you know your characters' bonuses etc), or if you do not wish to make the rolls, I can make them for you once you post your action. You are in direct control of every action your character takes - you cannot take control of other characters or NPC's (with some leniency given: Basically, this is here to make sure you don't say "I swing my axe. The bad guy dies!") I will post the results of your attacks and actions.

Skill Rolls

All Knowledge rolls, Perception rolls and Stealth and disguise rolls will be made by me - if you roll for these, I will re-roll my own dice and use my own results. The purpose of this is that I may not want you to know the results. All you need to do is mention that you are attempting these things (whether through roleplaying or the spoiler tags for OOC chat)

When Knowledge, Sense Motive and Perception checks are made, the results will be PMed to whoever performed them. If you want the others to know the results, you must roleplay it: The other characters will not be aware of the information learned unless it is mentioned by the character.

Sometimes these checks, if made by multiple people, may yield different results via PM. I did not make a mistake (probably :P ); it is merely that your characters' perception based on the rolls I make.

All other checks may be rolled by you if you like.

Equipment

I have written everyone's character sheet and equipment in a notebook, and i'll try to remember to keep it relatively updated, however I will probably forget to add things from time to time. It may not hurt to keep a physical or mental note about what you own.

Experience

Experience will be given at the end of a scenario (e.g. a dungeon, or an encounter in the wild etc...). XP gains will be boosted somewhat. Bonuses will be granted for good roleplaying and storytelling, or clever ideas.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Goss: I was half-considering making you take some Handle 'Animal' checks to keep the baby under control in some situations - I may still do that! A baby is probably the last thing you want when you're trying to be sneaky!  :razz:

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
Goss: I was half-considering making you take some Handle 'Animal' checks to keep the baby under control in some situations - I may still do that! A baby is probably the last thing you want when you're trying to be sneaky!  :razz:

I wasn't planning on bringing the baby down into the dungeons with me!  :shock: I'm gonna find someone to take care of her for me.