llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Kobolds!?! - What are they?  (Read 3803 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Kobolds!?! - What are they?
« on: March 13, 2004, 09:04:14 PM »
:arrow: Kobolds seem to make an apperance in in  many Role-Playing games vut they vary substantially from one to another and I intend to once and for all discover the true koboldWill you help me?

The Kobolds im used to are small reptiallian creatures that are sneaky and clever but not really intelligent otherwise, i have also seem kobolds that are Gobliniods and are smarted cousins of Goblins. The sizes vary, the creature type varies, but they all seem to like mining... I think its time we united our views on Kobolds and made the one true kobold!

My Thoughts - I like the idea of Kobolds having dragon ancestry, maybe even Gobliniods with Dragon ancestors. The whole mining and building traps thing is good as well, but i want to know what you think a Kobold is or should be.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 10:49:09 PM »
I always disliked the idea of kobolds as being in any way dragon-like or related to dragons.
My kobolds are always sort of rodent-like and they live underground and mine.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 01:12:23 AM »
I dislike them being related to dragons in any way as well. Dragons are supposed to be powerful creatures capable of terror. Kobolds are like cockroaches, irritating as individuals, but major annoyances as massive groups.

I think the feel of kobolds has been more or less consistent in the games I've seen them. They are weak and not real bright, but wily, cunning and quite unscrupulous. They do work in groups, but without a lot of coordination. Undisciplened and unruly, but capable of following orders that give them gratification.

Appearance wise, I think of them more as rodent or dog like, a short, sometimes narrow snout, small tail, and light frame. Like an anthropomorphic chiuaua grifter.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 09:12:25 AM »
Personally, my mental image of a kobold will always be skewed by the AD&D Monstrous Manual, which has them pictured as this freaky rat-dog-thing walking around as a biped.

They're small, weak, but potentially rather clever; used correctly, a lone kobold can be more of a challenge than an entire army of trolls.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 11:47:29 PM »
It's from the Middle High German & means "goblin."  Alternate definitions describe it as a being a type of elf, spirit, or gnome (note that these are not distinctively different from one another in mythology), and inhabits/haunts underground spaces or homes.  

Any physical characteristics, game mechanics, or personality traits are all modern inventions, and are based on whatever game system you are using at the time.  While D&D kobolde (proper plural of "kobold") are as described above, other games are different, such as the Palladium kobolde who are highly skilled metalworkers.  

Personally, I've often wondered how much of the current D&D view of kobolde were based on an artist's interpretation, rather than the other way around.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Alia Clerya G. Sukory

• ~Arcain mage~
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 01:00:13 PM »
Kobolds are Wolf or dog looking creatures...
That's all I can say...
Don't worry I used the back of the sword... oops it's double sided, sorry....
My long journey for immortality is also known as fame....

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 01:14:39 PM »
And they taste of chicken.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Alia Clerya G. Sukory

• ~Arcain mage~
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 01:18:35 PM »
Quote from: "Kinslayer"

They taste of chiken what do you mean??
Don't worry I used the back of the sword... oops it's double sided, sorry....
My long journey for immortality is also known as fame....

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 04:57:29 PM »
Old Kobs as in corn husks?

Quote from: "Kassil"
AD&D Monstrous Manual

What is this you speak of?

Palladium, cough, the one true commercial RP system, cough, has them as cousins to goblins and orcs but a smarter, meaner version.

Live underground, as most worthy monsters, but are only bested by dwarves in the creation of armor and weapons. In Jewelry and silver their quality is unmatched.

Their skill in metalwork makes them a sought after "friend" to other monster breeds which sort of makes kobolds movers and shakers.

Kobolds rock!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 06:16:14 PM »
Most Dungeon crawlers (Dungeons and Dragons players) remember the Kobold as the lowliest of monsters, not even a full hit die worth of hit points. In combat, the mage could best a kobold or three with his staff, while the warrior could defeat them with his off hand, sword sheathed. Generally played out as the little brothers of goblins, just as the goblins were the little brothers of orcs. You know what rolls downhill, as the expression goes.

I was captivated by a single word, Koboldwerk, in reference to kobold crafted chainmail. it was excellently made and black iron, a far cry from the ultra-light magic friendly mithril elven chainmail. All of a sudden they became something different to me, not just the first layer of sword fodder in the dungeon.

They were delvers, and makers, smithies and builders. They naturally compete with the dwarves, and perhaps instead of being a diminutive dog-faced mini-goblin they are more potent rivals. They craft steel and black iron weapons, sheath their bodies in chain armor, and though lacking the stubborn courage of the dwarves compensate with a cunning that makes them seem more animalistic than the stoic dwarves. Its all a matter of PR

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 11:43:23 AM »
Quote from: "Alia Clerya G. Sukory"
Quote from: "Kinslayer"

They taste of chiken what do you mean??

You can barbecue it,
boil it,
broil it,
bake it,
saute it.
There's uh, kobold-kabobs,
kobold creole,
kobold gumbo,
pan fried,
deep fried,
stir-fried.
There's pineapple kobold,
lemon kobold,
coconut kobold,
pepper kobold,
kobold soup,
kobold stew,
kobold salad,
kobold and potatoes,
kobold burger,
kobold sandwich.

That... that's about it.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »
A chicken is a small fowl-bird with atavistic wings and too much weight in meat to fly. They are used as food animals in many of the major nations of the Earth, especially in the modern age, where global commerce has brought the onset of chicken as the staple food of pretty much everyone.
Stereotyped as a barnyard animal, they are characterized by their call: "bok-bok-bok-bok".

Offline Rei

• ~Cursed Demi-God~
  • Master
  • "Death to all sinners"
    • My happy gallery xD
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 08:34:36 AM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
A chicken is a small fowl-bird with atavistic wings and too much weight in meat to fly. They are used as food animals in many of the major nations of the Earth, especially in the modern age, where global commerce has brought the onset of chicken as the staple food of pretty much everyone.
Stereotyped as a barnyard animal, they are characterized by their call: "bok-bok-bok-bok".

Cocka-doodel-dooooo!
"Mostly... Mothers have the best mood destroying ability"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 08:01:40 PM »
Exactly!

Offline Loki

• Apprentice
    • http://symphonyexperimental.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 06:23:36 AM »
Info on Kobolds here Kolbold and as far as I know, Knockers are a type of Kobold or are related to them too somehow.
I'm a god. I can shape-shift. I can create stuff out of nothingness. I can alter the fabric of reality. So please quit being a knucklehead.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:38 AM »
Uh. Yeah... Well, I like Draconic Kobolds and I'm pretty sure that Kobolds highly enjoy the taste of Babies and Onions. I know them to be skilled trapmakes and cowardly when encountered alone.  :D
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 03:02:03 PM »
Everyone enjoys the taste of babies.

I'm a D&D guy, and have been biased with dog-lizards that hate gnomes, but do prefer the wolfish more "tunnel under the forest," chicken-flavored kobold.