llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Languages  (Read 10855 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadow1973

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Languages
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 09:12:47 PM »
Well I havn't read all the posts but what about other races, are there no other creatures that come from other planes of existance? What about magical beings, Unicons and Elementals and such. I like to think in my games that each race has their own language or a diealect of the basic language. That is just the creatures on the land, what about the creatures in the oceans?  The mer-folk would get ticked if the had to speak dwarven..

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Languages
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 11:27:16 PM »
Err.... That's the idea, Shadow. That's the way it is in most settings. The majority of races have their own language.
I should think that would be obvious.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Priv8eye

• Nomad
    • Awards
Languages
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 05:49:50 AM »
One that I have come across before is the common tongue theme, but then that each area after has its own individual dialect.  Each area can be understood by the others, sometimes it requires a little talking slowly and carefully, but then eahc area may also slip into its own dialect thus making it hard for those not of that area to understand.

Have experianced this for myself whern meeing people less than 50 miles away with a strong local dialect which was virtually a foreign language if they didn't slow down.