llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A list of questions ?  (Read 3106 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Mashvie

• Apprentice
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« on: December 26, 2003, 05:35:32 AM »
*waves to you as youre eyes find their way to this thread* Hello, firstly im honoured that youre actually reading this *grins* but now to the topic.
I'm really new to these forums and when i came to look around and read some of the numerous threads a lot of questions came to mind.'
I have been encouraged to ask them  :oops: and although im usually not one for asking questions, this is a site that seems to have inspired a lot of interest  :)
If you have any ways of helping me clear some of these things up in my mind (or even feele like scolding me for bad spelling/grammar, even stupidity), then i would be honoured to hear what you would say.

Here it goes...

• There seem to be a lot of ways to play on this site with a character (talking mainly about the freeform roleplaying). How would one describe a charachter when it is role played? Does the past and appearance go within the role play as it progresses?
  • When one role play is finished, can that same character reatain any abilities/appearance changes that it may have aquired during the role play? And if so, does that mean that the character's story develops through many role plays (ofcourse starting with some sort of past at the start)?
  • I've noticed that spelling and grammar is really important (completely agree on this) however how much chat speak is really allowed? Besides the emotion icons that are available when youer making a post, is it still okay to use symbols such as '>_<' '^_^' '~_^' (there are many more of them) and so on?
  • How powerful does a character have to be? I am guessing overall it is common sense and respect to those around you, however is there any general things that are expected of making a character?
  • Can the character be any living or non living thing? I mean not only a human/humanoid but also an animal, insect or even a tree or an elemental? And are there any 'types' of characters that should not be played, such as vampires etc?
  • When making a post in the "Freeform Roleplaying" forum, is it okay to haev any story line at all? Or do the ideas have to come from something that already exists and not from that little world that lives in your head? (It is alive I tell you....alive)
  • (Stupid question this one)I am also hoping that it is alright to incert stupid noises into ones post  :shock: because if not, i am in trouble oork :oops:
  • And lastly, if you have any other tips or ideas that might beat my stupid mind into action, please have a say. I would really like to get to know what sort of conduct is required from anyone here.

I'm sorry if i have asked questions which have already been answered in other posts, I havent had the time to read most things and dont think will ever be able to seeing there are so many other threads! Meep :) but thankyou for reading, overall this site has given me a feeling of "family" looks like everyone looks out for one another. *bows and retreats* once again thankyou
In life, those who choose to stand alone facing their fears with only their conscience to guide them.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 06:17:41 AM »
Maaaaan. I thought I could answer anything but I haven't been in the freeform enough to be certain I am answering correctly.

I will try and answer the site level questions....well, because it makes sense that way. The roleplaying portions will come from those with more experience then I. I may stick my foot in my mouth too, so if anybody contradicts me....go with the contradiction.

Most of your answers will have to be answered per game/thread. Each game started will sort of have their own unspoken rules, but should be pretty easy to gather from the other posts. Some games will allow (or require) more powerful creatures/elements/etc., Many people will simply do an OOC question directly in the thread to OK what they want to do (or ask specific questions about the thread). We are real loose so as long as you aren't spamming and flaming they will be happy to answer any thread specific questions.

Freeform really is freeform. With a few exceptions, each game is a growing story that each person adds to whatever they think is appropriate. If there is somebody guiding the story, they will let you know.

Don't like chat speak that much. There are others that *really* don't like it. Better use full sentences and stay away from it if you can. Hopefully if there are slips they won't be too harsh on you....

Stupid noises are fine....as long as there is content associated with it :)

more answers are sure to come....

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 06:02:23 PM »
NO CHAT SPEAK!
CHAT SPEAK MAKES PENGUIN MAD!
URAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
But seriously, folks...

-When you describe a character, just write out what they look like. You don't have to describe their past, it might come up later or something.
Example: "Zanto adjusted his green silk robe and ran his fingers through his black hair." or you could just say it "He had black hair and wore a green silk kimono".
-If you want to use the same character in a different roleplay, you can, though many roleplays don't happen in the same setting or world. There's nothing wrong with using the same character in every roleplay, like long-lost Adel used to.
-You can use emoticons, but don't expect me to understand them very well. Chat speak is absolutely unacceptable in the forum.
-The power level of the character and allowed races depend on the roleplay and what the GM wants.
-It's pretty essential for the roleplay to have some sort of storyline. Otherwise it's an utterly random group of events and that just sucks. SUCKS, I TELL YOU!
-Weird noises are fine. They're weird, but fine.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 10:07:15 PM »
You can play anything you want, within reason.  At one point we had a couple of people playing cats, will o' the wisps, etc.  Just as long as it makes some sort of sense.  If you want people to take your char's background into consideration when they play, but you don't want to just plop the whole thing into the thread, post your character in the Citadel proper.  Powerwise, your character should be able keep up with the others, but that's not always the case.  We've never actually managed to get as far as finishing a role-play, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep playing the same char.  Specifics about characters depend on the thread, as Strolen said.

I think that's about it.  If you have any other questions, let us know.  That's why we're here.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Mashvie

• Apprentice
    • Awards
A list of questions ?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 05:55:26 AM »
Thankyou guys :) this really helps, at least now i have a basic idea of what is expected of role playing and general chat
*glares at Penguin* you scare me! oh yes you really scare me! *backs away into dark dark corner somewhere far away* however no chat speak it is, those mileys get too addictive anyway thankyou for notifying me about that :D
In life, those who choose to stand alone facing their fears with only their conscience to guide them.