llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arth  (Read 13178 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Arth
« on: December 26, 2003, 02:52:11 AM »
Arth was my fantasy world when I started GMing The Fantasy Trip (a viable alternative to ADnD... would be known to you as GURPs v0.0) back in 1978-79.  I ran Arth for groups of various sizes (1-20) at least once a week for 8 years.  It was hugely popular game due mostly to my GMing abilities (Storytelling and Character generated storylines back in the day when you had to convince people to have a reason and theme for their dungeon rather than just a clever set of traps and monsters).  Why am I babbling about this?  I found some of my old notes.  They would mean little to most people, but they triggered the encyclepedic work I did on the world.  Since this was "back in the day", I was winging everything with scant notes and feeble game support. I had yet to discover cue cards, world packs, super sheets, dice heraldy or any number of things to make a game run easier. (That all started in 83 when I was doing convention work for Tri-Tac and Fringeworthy and Hero System).  This world was a great one.  I should bring it to life and provide it for others.  So hopefully you think it is as interesting as I do.

Guide
**PAGE 1**
Post 1   Intro
Post 2   Overview of Arth
Post 3   Future TOC
Post 5   Gold GMing Rules
Post 6   Strengths and Weakness and how to use them.
Post 7   Encylopedia Arthica... In Progress
Post 8   Thumbnail - Elventi
Post 12 Thumbnail - Humanti
Post 13 Thumbnail - Dwarventi
Post 14 Thumbnail - Orcenti
Post 15 Cards and Calanders

**PAGE 2**
Post 16  Some special words
Post 17  Religious Views/ ideals
Post 18  Dieties and examples of the elemental associations.
Post 19  The Way of Magik in the known world.
Post 20  A brief history of the Known World
Post 21  Languages of the Known World
Post 22  FirstLand Summary
Post 23  SecondLand Overview
Post 24  SecondLand - Humanti Clan Lands -West
Post 25  SecondLand - Amazonti -Central
Post 26  SecondLand - Warp Swamp - East
Post 27  SecondLand - Nikhon Island
Post 28  ThirdLand Overview

**Page 3**
Post 31  NorthLand Overview
Post 32  Northland - CrashDown
Post 34  Elventi Appendium- StarElventi
Post 35  MaskLand Overview
Post 36  MaskLand biomes
Post 37  FourthLand Overview.
Post 38  FourthLand Costal/ Lamic
Post 39  FourthLand Interior/ Ngeti
Post 40  FourthLand Spike Mountains
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Thumbnail view
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 04:06:56 AM »
Inspirations for Arth... Well of Souls series (though Midnight was the only one written at the time), Land of the Lost, and the fact that I had more ideas than could be contained in a conventional world.  Originally I thought I would just be copying things, but I found out my own ideas were more than enough.  

Arth is a geographically huge. (Bigger than a ringworld kind of huge)

It is made up of semi-continuous biomes.

Each biome follows its own way, thus it has its own unique weather, ecology, social patterns, and rules for magic and tech.  Most biomes are very, very similar to their neighboring biomes (hence the semi-continuous). Some are not.  In some biomes they have different weather than the others, or a different moon, or a notably different ecology, or way for society. No matter what the way of the biome, each biome has a Pylon in it that seems to be the center of control for it.  

GE-EM, the first god, is a collector. It collects/ copies things from other spheres and incorporates them upon its own world.  It created a number of lesser dieties to aid in the "administration" of Arth.  Thus a spiritual heirachy of five tiers was created. These dieties are everywhere on Arth.  
Second Tier: GE-EM (post creating other dieties), Lady Arth (Mother Earth), Yi-Ang (Balance/ Chance)
Third Tier: Masters of Death, Time, and Luminance who become 4th tier light and dark.  
Fourth Tier: Masters of the Five (Six) Elements: Fire, Earth, Air, Water, and Luminance/ Spirit- Light and Dark
Fifth Tier: Masters of XXX. These are the vast number of spirits in charge of everything else.  

The Known World is the Elventi Imperium.

The Imperium is a Mid European Renaissance level tech world, with a well developed low level magic system.  This is the "average" of all the biomes.

It is run by The Emperor (whos common name has come to mean Emperor over the centuries) and the Noble High Elventi.  Each Land has its own High Elventi Governor.  Administration below that is up to the local's choice.  So your old king and his fedual lords, or your first senator, or your tribal chief, run the show for the Elventi.  Those that rebel... usually don't last very long.  

High Elves are immortal being of great power... imagine an immortal experienced Captain America/Batman, with access to IronMan/ Green Lantern power level item, and knowledge to rival a realm sorcerer (Dr. Strange/ Dr. Fate/ Tim) and has access to gate technology.   There are not very many High Elves in comparison to the other races, but the standing imperial army only has 32 members and is enough to rule a surface area akin to the Earth's.  Many of the Noble High Elventi have served in the Army for a century or four. Others follow more refined pursuits.  

High Elves are full elves who have achieved the "next level". This process is a combination of physical, spiritual, and mental perfection, plus good genes and being in the right place at the right time.

The Elventi (Full Elves and High Elves) live on FirstLand. This area has 7 large biomes.  Each biome is a Dukedom.  

SecondLand has a number of biomes and one warp point (a place where stuff from other places "find" themselves.  It is the current home of the 12 Humanti clans, the Amazonti, The Wapti (Landdwelling Squidish beings), and the Nikhon Orcenti (Our samurai are orcs). It is the home of 19 biomes (12 human, 2 amazonti, 4 of the great swamp/ wapti, and one of the island for the Nikhon.)

Thirdland is the second largest land in the Known World.  It is filled with fractured biomes (a huge number of biomes of smaller than average size).  The Imperium originally had mining colonies here (they shipped the humans here).  Thirdland has the most biologic diversity as it has Elventi (including "wild" ones), Humanti (in a wide variety), Dwarfenti, Orcenti (Orcs of four types, Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Gremlins), Centaurs, Kerrenti (Wolf Folk), Putti (Cat Folk), and Gargoyles to name most of them. Note: things without the -enti designation are made species.

The main geographic features are the Three Human City States (Antioch, Amar, and Avon), The Kingdoms (Princedoms really... mostly agrarian feudal areas), The Wastes, The Great Plains, the Great Ridge (Huge Mountain Range home to Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, and Skyfolk), and all those places inbetween.  It is made up of hundred and eighty or so biomes.  

Thirdland is the place where I tend to start a campaign group.  

Northland is the largest land area.  It is four times the area of Eurasia plus India.  It is a preserve, untouched by the Imperium.  In addition to being the home of the StarElventi, it contains giant mansized insects and godzilla sized monsters.  A change from the two brutal meta races whos near constant conflict that makes travel there difficult if not deadly that I had originally placed here.

MaskLand is a 9 biome land that "appeared" a scant hundred years ago.  The Masklanders (who are human) have a very unique culture based upon masques and costumes.  They were brought here whole cloth from their world.  They are the most "alien" of Imperial Peoples.  

FourthLand: This is a 22 smaller biome land segregated between the coastal Lamic people (who are urbane, civilized, and religious zelots) and the more "primative" Engeti people of the interior (who see themselves of the caretakers of their world).  It has only recently been brought into the Imperium, as both peoples have accepted Imperial rule (the Engeti accepting it first).

First Ocean is an 5 biome oceanic biome area where aquatic races live.  

There is a "race" to find another Land to the far south of SecondLand (and East of Fourthland).  Predictions show one is there. Some are exploring north of Northland, but so far nothing but terrible storms have been found.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
TOC
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 05:31:24 AM »
Arthology: How Arth goes together and Works
History- Epic and Known World

Religion: About the various dieties and how people go about dealing with them.  

General Magic/ Cosmology.

Greater Races: Aresians, Ergi, Deamons, and Elventi
Lesser Races: Elventi, Humanti, Dwarventi, Orcenti, Golinti (hob and other).
Created Races/ Fur races: Kern, Putti, Centaur.

Imperium:

BigPlot threads: Shift of Monotheism, Rebalancing the world

FirstLand
SecondLand
ThirdLand
    Each major region may need to be broken down into smaller ones...
NorthLand
FourthLand
MaskLand
FirstOcean
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Arth
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 05:55:22 PM »
Moon...
You must give me lessons.
I'm such a sucky GM...
Especially when compared to you...
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Before we get too far off track....
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 03:29:55 AM »
There are two gold rules when GMing...

First, you need to work at it.  GMing, at its best,  is a combination of fiction writing, film directing, and theater.  Think about how you GM, what you do, and what your players like.  Be critical of yourself, as nobody is perfect.  (You don't have to be, you just need to strive for it).  You need to know your strengths (and play to them) and your weaknesses (and work to improve them or find innovative ways to avoid them).  

You don't have to make a life's study of it all.  Just make a conscious effort to be a better gamer.  Look for good ideas in the game books and the internet (all my game tips make a good start). Look for ideas in different areas (like I did with screen plays recently.. it has amped up my story telling skills).   Remember what has worked for other great GMs of your acquaintance and do that.  You are allowed to GM before you can "grab the stone from my palm" grasshopper.  The point is you need to keep working at it until you are truly worthy of being a GM.    

The second gold rule is simple.  Get deeply involved in your game and strive to make it as good as or better than a movie/ series of books/ tv series that you like.   Anytime you get a new character, insert a new npc, or set up a new story arch or plotline, ask yourself one thing above all else:

Does that add to my game in such a way that if it was a Movie/Book/Episode would someone besides me want to watch it?

If your plot is not as good as an action TV series, then you need to improve it.  If this NPC you are adding does not do anything for the story... ingnore them despite how cool you think the character is. If the player wants to bring in a new character and the character is flat and boring, then have them make another one.  It is all about the game and making it as good as the movie/ book/ episode.  Don't get lazy.  Your game is only as good as you the GM make it!!!!

And if you think the players are the problem with your game, either work on players to improve their gamecraft or dump the losers and get new players.
(Note: If it keeps being the players being the problem.. then the problem is probably with you.)
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
For Example
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 03:42:28 AM »
Know your strengths and weaknesses...

I have a good idea for intersting things.  This has made selecting things to add to my world fairly easy.  And by making a world that copies of other times and places are made, I can just import things whole cloth.  I could also have strange components next to each other because they did not "evolve" they appeared AND the various parts of "reality" insured that each area maintained it's own Way.  

I can't map well.  I know this.  So I designed Arth to be flow chart rather than a traditional map.  The biome concept, borrowed from Chalker's book, mashed together with a sort of fey world, allowed me not to have any maps that were not of a specific local area.  

I also did not want to invest that much time into drawing out every village and city like my contemporaires did. (Arth has a lot of them AND there is a lot of travelling in the campaign).  It seemed like a waste of time.  So I shifted to the vauge description of times, distances, and streets, rather than the dungeon/ tactical oriented, "you go to the intersection, you turn right... you go down a few feet and turn left to the alley."   It was never that way in a book, why should it be that way in a game?

Besides most people don't have "mental maps" of the areas they live in. Why should they know the "arial view" of the new village they are in?

It seem to work well, my players responded positively, so it became part of GM techniques that I have used ever since.  Narrate them.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Encyclopedia Arthica
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 01:41:01 AM »
check this area often, as I am always adding things to it.

Artificial: Arth is a construct, rather than a "naturally created sphere". However, since Arth was created by its universe's highest power, it is "natural" in the technical sense, it is the way things are here.  

Biome: A region of area with its own way bounded by a shimmer wall. It is a self contained ecology and sociology, with its own weather, sky pattern, number of moons, and power pattern (the way magic and technology works).  Most biomes are similar to the ones next to it, so there is gradual change over distance.  

Blue Fog This effect occurs when dimensional barriers are weakened. Almost always occurs when a stranger is brought to Arth.  Related to the shimmer wall effect.  

Dwarventi: This short and stocky humanoid species lives a semi-subterranean life on ThirdLand.  

Elventi: This tall, thin, humanoid species known for its almond shaped eyes and pointed ears, are the dominant species in the KnownWorld in terms of political and magical power.  

Gate, Imperial:  These 2.3 meter wide hexagonal "rings" made of a very tough magikally create granite, similar to imperial road materials.  High Elven Sorcerers use them to anchor magikal gateways that allow Imperial Officials to travel between The Court and the rest of the Imperium.  A Sorcerer must cast the gate each time it is open, preventing "unathorized use".  

Humanti: These are tall humanoids with round eyes and ears.  They are the most numerous of the known species in the KnownWorld.  They are found on almost every "land" and in many sea biomes.  

Key Stones  These are 5-10 CM orbs that pulse and glow with power.  They are found in conjunction with Plyons in Biomes. Like Plyons, they are indestructable. Their purpose has yet to be determined by the people of the known world, but the more keys a pylon has the more advantagous the biome seems to be.  Thus many biomes send people out to hunt for keys for their pylons.  In addition, keys in the hand of a sorcerer (a powerful magic user, usually High Elven)  allow for spectacular/ reality altering magics.  They can boost ever regular magic users' and wizards' powers.

Kretch Worship of the Pantheon in the known world centers around a Kretch.  A kretch is a wall nook or small table, usually by the entrance, but sometimes in the main room, where small devotional nicknacks are found (elemental symbols, mirrors, candles, glyph stones, etc).  While there are temples and preists, most people do their religious duty as they pass by a Kretch and mumble a prayer.

Marker, Imperial These are one meter tall stones, approximately one deci-meter (1/10th) wide at the top and twice that at the bottom. Their shape inspired by The Pylons. These are informational locations, listing the names of the place, directions to get there, and any special warnings.  You will see them on any offspur of the main imperial road. They will also preceed a shimmer wall when the biome "nextdoor" may be dangerous or tricky.  They are written in Imperial lettering, but everyone who can read seems to be able to read them.  

Moons: Most biomes have one moon in the sky. It is fairly good sized and quite bright, taking 6 days to cycle.  Occasionally there will be biomes with a second moon.  In NorthLand, MaskLand, and certain biomes in ThirdLand there are three moons.

Orcenti: This hairsuite and violent humanoid species has been found on every land of the KnownWorld.  Orcenti normally live in hives and are the only intelligent species that gives birth to litters.  

Pantheon: Except for dedicated priests, Fourthlanders, and MaskLanders, everyone worships the full Pantheon of Arthian Dieties.  This pantheon hold GE-EM (Head diety- begining and endings), Mother Arth, Yi-Ang (balance), Death, time, and luminance (which becomes the two dieties of the elementry tier), the six elemental dieties, Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Light, Dark, and the near infinite number of masters of XXX (Master of Bricks, Master Red Bricks, Master of This Brick, at infinatum).  People project their prayers to the appropriate diety of the Pantheon for their concern.  While certain people feel "favored" by certain dieties, they will not neglect the others (Sure the God of Light loves me, but when I need to make a good business deal I pray to the God of Earth and the Master of Commerace like everyone else.)

Pylons: Every biome has a pylon.  These 2.2 meter tall square based, tapered structures have a goldish finish, a warm metallic feel, and are indestructable. On the top of a plyon is a place where Key Stones can be inserted (they merge in).  The biome is often in the center of the biome, but does not have to be.  In some places, the biome's pylon has yet to be found (perhaps buried or mystically hidden or even destroyed by some cosmic force).    

Road, Imperial A magically created roadway of incredible durability.  Cobble sized stones (or similar stones) are summoned from the surrounding biome along the section of road being created.  They are then "smited", taking much of their exposed top off, creating a nearly smooth surface.  Mystically binding the stones together make a fairly smooth road that has near perfect traction under most conditions.  There are three road smiths for the entire Imperium.  They travel to an area by gate, create a few hundred feet of road, then gate to a new location. This means nine road segments can be created a day.  This odd proces means roads are "fairly" created at equal rates all over the Imperium.  

Shimmer Wall: A curtain of "force" that is totally permuable. It marks the barrier between biomes. In most cases, you can not see the "wall".  All you see is the landscape continuing.  As you approach the wall, it becomes somewhat visable and sensable.  It is most often just a "wave", like heat flicker of a piece of asphalt. The more shimmery/ opaque the wall is, the greater the difference between the biomes.  If the weather or terrain changes notably, the wall will be visable.  The scariest thing to encounter is a shimmer wall that is totally opaque, and when you walk through nothing appears to have changed (thus implying there are notable changes in the two biome's less material "ways").  

Star Stone  This blue crystaline structures draws in and hold magikal energy. They are said to fall from the sky.  Most deposits are from meteor strikes, as large clusters fall and as they cool break into smaller nearly circular stones.   Star Stones are used to power many magikal items. Elves actively search for these items (it is said wearing star stone increases your chance of becoming a high elventi). Dwarves and must subterrainians will not touch the deposits.  Humans, not knowing any better will dig for it since there is always a market. The city of Antioch is built upon a played out large deposit of star stone.  The original reasons for Antioch was as a human mining camp.  

Strangers: These are beings from other spheres that are brough to Arth via a warp or blue fog (or other means).  People both respect them and fear them, as they are often agents of change- disrupting the status quo.  The term stranger means a person not from around here. There is a pronunciation change when it is a stranger from Arth, and a stranger from elsewhere (Are you a stranger or a STRANger?).  

Helping a Stranger is supposed to be good luck, so many people try to teach strangers "how thing are" or give them small gifts (drinks, small foods, etc).  

Way: Each biome has its own rules or "Way things are".  These rules effect not only ecology, biology, meteorology, and power flow, but social and emtional structures.  The Status Quo is highly maintained here.

Year: A year on Arth is 216 days.  The Imperial calander breaks this down to 6 months of 6 weeks (corresponding to each season normally found in the Known World), of 6 days each (corresponding to the primary lunar cycle).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Races- Thumbnails
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 06:42:38 AM »
All intelligent species on Arth are supposed to follow the elemental path, that is to say there is five (six) expected variations of a given race.

The races in order of discovery by the Imperium.  

Elventi
Elventi are the dominant race culturally, but one of the lesser races numerically.  Elventi tend to be thin, long limbed, graceful, and about five feet tall.  Their eyes are large and almond shaped, with strong cheekbones and pointed ears.   All elventi have a slight metallic shine to their skin, eyes, and hair.  They mature at 30 and live for an average of about 500 years.  

1) Air - These are light skinned, fair hair, blue to purpled eyed elventi of FirstLand. They have slight silver tones to their skin, hair, and eyes.  
2) Fire - As yet to be discovered.  
3) Earth - Elventi do not acknowledge that the Wild Elves of ThirdLand exist and do not acknowledge their place in the five types of Elventi.  Human scholars place them there.  These Elventi are taller and human-like in build.  They are moderate in skin tone (because of the sun).  They have redish blond to copper hair, and brown to green eyes.  They also have copper tones to their skin, hair, and eyes.  
4) Water - SeaElventi Aquatic adaptions of the Elventi line.  They are pale to tan (dependent on sun), blue/ purple/ or green eyes, and black hair. They have slight gem tones to their skin/ hair, but not eyes.  

5) High Elventi: These are the pinacles of Elventi development.  Mostly they are from Air stock, but sometimes they come from others.  

High Elves are Elventi who have achieved the "next level" of development. This process is a combination of physical, spiritual, and mental perfection, plus good genes and being in the right place at the right time.  They become unaging and immortal, with great mystical abilities.  

High Elves are immortal being of great power... imagine an immortal experienced Captain America/Batman, with access to IronMan/ Green Lantern power level item, and knowledge to rival a realm sorcerer (Dr. Strange/ Dr. Fate/ Tim) and has access to gate technology.   There are not very many High Elves in comparison to the other races, but the standing imperial army only has 32 members and is enough to rule a surface area akin to the Earth's.  Many of the Noble High Elventi have served in the Army for a century or so. Others follow more refined pursuits.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Arth
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 02:58:01 PM »
Imitates a Master of XXX:

"I am the Lord of This Brick!"
"I am the Lord of Lipton Instant Noodles!"
"I am the Lord of Angular Velocity!"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Kind of like Noblis that way...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 12:36:09 AM »
Yet these masters are basically just spirits with a little more responsibility.  They have little in the way of actual power.  

Think of them as the Shinto spirits of "everything".  They sort of round out the pantheon.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline nitouken

• Adept
    • Awards
Re: Encyclopedia Arthica
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 04:43:13 PM »
There is a pronunciation change when it is a stranger from Arth, and a stranger from elsewhere (Are you a stranger or a STRANger?).  

Perhaps STRAY-njr, versus STRAH-njr, or less distinct than that? (I'm cribbing this idea, and I want to know what you were thinking. :lol: :?: :lol: )

From MoonHunter
STRAHN- jr. However the emphasis you would like to pronouce it with an emphasis on the first syllable, instead of the second.
If they cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go.
                               -Mark Twain

There are no Absoluts in life, only vodka.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Races Continued
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 01:25:42 AM »
Humanti
Humanti is the most numerous of the various races of the known world.  They are the most variable of the races, with a human ranging 5'6" to 6'6", 120 to 300 stones, and a variety of body types. Humans become mature at 18, and live for about 100 years (remember the year has 216 days).  

There are six types corresponding to the mystic elements.  

Fire: Mostly found in Antioch CityState, Thirdland.  They are fairer toned skin, blondish brown to brown to red hair, green eyes. They are more thin and graceful in their build and movements.  

Earth: Southers of Thirdland, and south western clan holdings on Secondland. They are taller, stockier, and stronger than most humans.  They tend to be blond, brown to green eyes, and fair skin that does not tan nor burn.  Southers of Thirdland have a distinctive square jaw and hook nose.  

Air: Most of Secondland and Thirdland. Average skin tones, Brown to Black hair, Blue eyes. There are some regional groups that are identifiable by shape of nose/ chin/ cheeks.  

Water:  Masklanders: Pale skin, deep blue eyes, black hair. (Not that you would see that with most masklanders). They tend to be smaller than most Humanti.  There are small pockets of water folk around, but they are not a notable ethnic group.  Some of the high families of Amar are water folk.  

Darkness: ForthLanders.  Dark skin, black wirey hair, dark eyes. Scholars were wondering how humans were going to manifest the 5th element.  They have decided that instead of High Humans, there will be two human types.    

Light: Not yet discovered. Some people thing Light Humans are Elves.  

Note: Amazonti are a human group, living in the Central region of Secondland (betweem the rest of the people and the warp swamp).  Most people list them as Earth People, which they are according to build (though their hair and eye color is more variable).  However the Amazonti female tends to be 6' to 7' in height (and be of a stocky or athletic build), while the male is 5' to 6' tall (and very thin, graceful, and delicate).  Humans claim they are a differen species, though most scholars claim they are just an odd human variation.  Either way they tend to "break" the mystic elemental classification system for humans.

Oh, and except for a few strangers, no Humanti of Asian appearing descent are found in the Known World.  When they do show up, they will force the re-evaluation of the mystic spectrum theory of races.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dwarventi
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 05:04:03 AM »
These are shorter, broad shouldered, large eyed partially subterranian humanoids. They appear more human than most partially subterranian races, Goblinenti. Their ears are oversized, but still round. They run from 4'5" to 5'5", and 120 to 200 stones.  They mature at 24 and live for approximately 200 years.  

These peoples are only found on Thirdland in the Known World.  Their mountanous biomes are some of the Northmost on Thirdland.  They tend to live in large clan lodges that are both above ground and below it (with caves or carved out areas). They are natural metalcrafters, miners, and technologists.  There larger settlements are wonders of engineering, just like the Elventi settlements are wonders of magic and harmony with nature.    

Their clannish nature blends quite nicely with the traditional human social structure (clans or guilds). Each clan has its own distinctive braid (for hair and/ or beard) and fabric pattern (like Tartans).  There are some 20 Dwarventi clans.  

There are only three elements represented in the Dwarventi of The Known World.  

Earth:  The most common of all Dwarventi.  They are a strong and stoic group, with hairs and eye colors that range from light brown to dark brown.  (A Dwarventi's eye colors alway match their hair color.).  The have a warrior orrientation, as most of their biomes are periodically distrubed by Goblin and Hobgoblins intrusions.  There primary weapon is the Hammer or Mace.  

Water:  These are the Dark Dwarventi, living in greater seclusion than most Dwarventi. Their halls and towns are almost exclusively underground.  Their hair and eyes are black to blue black. Their skin is practicaly pallid. They are the most emotional of all the Dwarventi (and some would say the most paranoid and secretive).  They are also masters of enchanting.  It is only in recent times, since the "technological revolution" created in Antioch, that they have ventured forth to see this "new way of thinking".  

Fire: Found in the western most Mountain Biomes, with a few low land and hilly biomes in areas of "The villages".  They are more surface orriented than most Dwarventi.  They are also stubbern and stoic, with bouts of emotional exuberence (usually tied to alcohol).  Their colors range from a goldish blond to a reddish blond.  The three clans of Fire Dwarventi use Axes as their military weapon of choice.

Once the Elventi discovered the Dwarventi (they were gate prospecting for Star Stones- holy items for Dwarventi), they asked them to be part of the Imperium.  They refused. A war ensued.  It took 12 High Elventi soldier (and a few hundred Elventi conscripts) six months to conquer the 20,000 Dwarventi of the time.  The Dwarventi are still bitter about being conquered so casually.

The conquest is one of the reasons why Dwarventi culture is so militant, so that the next time the Elventi come, it will take a hundred of them many years.

There are frequenty issues with the Dwarventi and the Imperium. Many clan holdings have "disappeared" over the last few centuries, as they rebelled against the leinent rules of the Imperium.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Orcenti
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 06:12:22 AM »
Orcenti are one of the strangest races of the Known World.  They are from 4-6 feet in height, from 130- to 250 stones heavy. Their eyes are large in iris and pupil (giving them good night vision). Their heads are more "round" than most races.  Instead of a nose, then have slits and some anxcillary material, so they appear to have their nose "cut off".  They are quite hairy, nearly hairsuite in a couple of cases. Their nails can be groomed into claws. Until a female Orcenti breeds, "she" appears to be a male of slightly smaller build, except for close inspection.  When she becomes pregnant, she develops what most races would consider female characteristics (physically and mentally).

Orcenti are the only intelligent race to have litters of four to six. Since they mature (physically) at 6 and expire around 40, this allows them to replace any lost members. They can be quite intelligent, but they do not mature emotionally until they are 20 or so.  They are also the most traditional of races. They are born with an "instinct" for the skills and knowledge their ancestors have had. They are able to learn what their ancestors have known in a fraction of the time any other race could.  Change is difficult for them.  

At first blush, they appear to be quite variable... having more than two types scholars assure us they have.  

Grey Orcentis: Nikhon Orcenti and the various tribes of the Eastern Plains of Thirdland.  These Orcs tend to be taller, less hairy, and greyish in skin tone. Their hair/ fur colors tend to range from white to black.  These are Orcenti are considered "civilized", as they have social structures similar to humanti (Nipponese Feudal and Tribal/clans respectively).  They are the only Orcenti that people will normally see in civilized Biomes.

Nikhon Orcenti of Secondland were taught their "civilized" pattern of living by a Stranger (A samurai) who guided their firstclan for generations (for about 60 years). Except for a slightly brutal streak and even less regard for life, they appear to be Feudal Japanese. They are an isolated people, who's ronin are sometime seen as merchant bodyguards.

Tribal Eastern Plains Orcenti appear to be Great Plains Indians with skills and technologies of those around 1850s. They are in sporatic conflict with the "Wild" Elventi of the Eastern Plains (who are less "civilized" than the Orcenti).  

Wild Orcenti : These are the most variable in size and coloration.  Their skin, when visable, is quite sallow. Their hair colors range from blond, to red, to brown, to green, to black.  Each colony of Orcenti is ruled by a breeding Queen who lives in a subterrainian nest.  The rest of the orcs forage and support the nest.  Those nests near "civilized" areas will slowly develop some technology, usually stolen from the civilized people.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
15 Calender, Holidays, and playing cards
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 03:17:32 AM »
Arth is the Interplay of the Five elements:  Fire, Air, Earth, Water, Luminance (which is normally broken down into Light and Dark making six elements).  Once you grasp the associations, making things for Arth are quite simple.  If you are tuning in from the interesting magic post, take heed.  

A Deck of Cards in the Known world are either 42 or 49 cards (if the deck has trumps).  
Each of the six suits has six number cards and one court card.

Trump decks uses slightly different suits and adds one trump card to each suit, plus a joker.  The trumps very from tradition to tradition. Some common ones are listed.  Each person should have their own trumps based on their personal mythology and personality elements.

Earth's suit is Shields and court card is King . Its trump suit is Jewel and most common trump is Craftsman.

Air's suit is Disks and court card is Queen. Its trump suit is Wheel and most common trump is Mad One.

Fire's suit is Trees and court card is Warrior. Its trump suit is Sword and most common trump is Destroyer.

Water's suit is Hearts and court card is Princess. Its trump suit is Rainbow and most common trump is Healer.

Darkness's suit is Wands and court card is Mage. Its trump suit is Staves and most common trump is Archpriest.

Light's suit is Triangles and court card is Priestess. Its trump suit is Temples and most common trump is Demon.

Calander
The Year is 216 days long, with six months of six weeks, with six days each week.  

Each month is approximately a season long
Month 1  Lumos    Spring      Cool Bright
Month 2  Storos     Storm      Windy/ Rainy
Month 3  Thermos  Summer  Hot
Month 4  Geos       Harvest    Indian Summer/ Cold snaps
Month 5  Lemos     Fall         Cold/ lt snow
Month 6  Fremos    Winter     Cold and Snow.

Each season's weather starts +/-2 days from the begining of the month.  Transition weather starts 1-6 days before that.  

The Day (usually 24 hours) is marked by two cycles of elements, one for day, one for night.  Dawn (6 am) starts the first cycle. It usually ends at approximately sunset (6pm). Noon occurs at the begining of the 4th cycle. Most people call the cycle either a candlemark, or one hour (which is two European hours).  
Light, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Darkness, is the day cycle
Darkness, Water, Earth, Air, Fire, Light, is the new cycle.

Each of the six weeks start when the primary moon reaches a given state
Week 1  Full Moon
Week 2  Old Gibbon
Week 3  Old Crescent
Week 4  New Moon
Week 5  New Crescent
Week 6  New Gibbon

Each day of the week has an elemental and social association
Day 1   Ibis       Magic/ Darkness
Day 2   Arbol     Nature/ Fire      Unofficial 1/2 day in good weather
Day 3   Tredos   Craft/ Earth      Half day, except for merchants/ trades
Day 4   Creedos Faith/ Light      Half day for most people, allowing worship
Day 5   Armos    Art/Love/ Water Half day for non merchants/ tradesmen
Day 6   Mesch    Knowledge/ Air

Yes there is no "weekend" but everyone except priests get two half days off together.

Holidays
Lumos 1 (Day of the Dead) Unofficial holiday. People rest if they can.
Lumos 7-12  Spring Festivals: Community Parties/ Carnivals

Storos 22  Prayer Day: Praying for the end of the storms.  It is an outdated holiday, but the only real holiday in Storos.

Thermos 1-6  Holy Week: Days of General Piousness, Subdued festivals, vows, ceremonies, etc.

Thermos 20  Prayer day: Prayer for relief from the heat.  Like Storos 22, it is outdated.  

Geos 14-20 Harvest days (usually)
Geos 21-27 Harvest Day Festivals - Big Markets everywhere. The biggest are usually on the 27th.

Lemos 16  Day of Spirits/ Masters - Thanksgiving for luck and departed ones.
Lemos 19  Day of Deamons (Halloween/ Masquarades)

Fremos 34: Day of Gods- Holy Day of worship and family gatherings
Fremos 35: Day of the People: Day for friendships, family, loved ones. Token gifts are sometimes given.
Fremos 36: Day of the NewYear: PARTY like you were a Dwarventi! Gift giving.

Unofficial Holidays/ Antioch Holidays
Storos 30  Short Day- Today everyone is a Dwarf.  Work super hard for half a day and party... well Drink the rest of the day.  Practiced in SecondLand and Thirdland.

Lumos 14  GreenDay: Today everyone is a friendly elf, even the Dwarventi. It is time to be frivolous in nature. Play in the park, minor pranks, forgive enemies, renew friends.   (ELF DAY).  Practiced in SecondLand and Thirdland.

Lumos 17  Heart's Day: Today is the day when romantic energies flow most freely through Arth.  Today is the day to be in love, try to be in love, or pretend to be in love.  Practiced in Firstland, SecondLand, and Thirdland.

Thermos 13 Greble: A combination of April's Fools day and Halloween.  Dress up strangely. Try on a different personality or even sex for today. Be different.  It is known as HumanDay by the Elventi and Dwarventi, as this is how they think humans are every day.  Practiced in FirstLand and Thirdland, with some people adopting it in SecondLand and Maskland.

Lemos 2: Anniversary of the Last Hobgoblin invasion.
Two hundred and seventy six years ago, the city of Antioch managed to stop "The Great Goblin Horde". Before that time, the Goblin Horde would sweep down every 12 to 24 years, usually sacking or nearly sacking the city and looting everything between The Northern Mountains and Antioch.

Two hundred and seventy six years ago, while the horde managed to breach the city and destroy a good part of it, the militia managed to hold them off from reaching the plyon in the central plaza and killed their leader. The goblins broke rank and left. They have not been back since.

The city has been completely rebuilt since then along "magikal/ scientific" lines. Antioch is the most modern city in all the Eleven Imperium. It has inner walls for defense, a well laid out civic plan, waterways/ sewers, and many other features that other people marvel at.

Every year since then, there is a parade of current and retired militia and guard (the last Elventi vetran is the grand marshall of the parade in his wheeled chair). The last battle is re-ennacted. The goblins are ex-guardsmen in paper mache goblin masks.

There is a street fair (since the central plaza is being used for the re-creation). Those who are goblins, get to "disturb the peace" in the fair, while they are in costume. Most of it is clowning around, but there are mock fights (and a few non-mock fights), chases, and some less savory activity. This is usually done between late morning and the late afternoon recreation. Being a goblin is supposed to be good luck, so many vie for the chance.

note: The real reason the Goblins have not attacked since then is that a temple of monks was blue misted into the pass the Goblins need to boil through to get to Antioch (and Avalon and all parts south). These Shaolin monks defeat these little scourges every few seasons they come down. Otherwise they would of been back 12-24 years later.

Lemos 7-12  Election Week: Guild leaders are elected this week. In Antioch, this is a big deal, as it determines who is on the guild council.

Lemos 15  Last Major Outdoor/ Open air markets.

Fremos 31 Traditional Graduation day for apprentices.

Fremost 33: Largest Market day of Fremos, and some say all year.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Some words...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 03:48:36 AM »
Most words translate directly to your language, but some come up differently.  They are

X-smith: Person who makes something.  Woodsmith, Wordsmith, Claysmith, Jewelrysmith.

X-craft: works with X-material or object. GodCraft is a common word for what priests do.  IronCraft, WoodCraft, Goldcraft, Foodcraft. Sneakcraft is what theives do.  

Di:  Next level up on the rank.  So a priest in charge of a group of priests would be a DiPriest
Arch: Next level up from Di. A priest in charge of many DiPriests would be the ArchPriest for a region.

Prime: First, Most Important, Public Face
Sece': Shadow or secondary aspect. A slang word for lover or very close friend.

Don: A name's prefix to mean respect of their superior station.
Lady: Female Don.  Abbrv. Ld.
Lord: Clan Head/ Nobility/ and sometimes Guild Heads
Lady Lord: Female Clan Head/Nobility/
Knight: Someone sworn to a person's service. No matter what their job. So a Knight Assasin and KnightBreadsmith are possible.

Sir: Married man
Dame: Married Lady
No prefix for either gender for miss or mister for unpartnered people.

X-enti  Race

KnownWorld can translate to Andaran (based on the family name of the Emperor).  So the Andaran social pattern, or the Andaran Government, are example uses.

Note how the inclusion of a few words can make the world seem that different when you think about it.  It now seems a bit more real and a bit different from your everyday world.  All thanks to a few odd words.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
17) Religion and religous ideas...
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 03:40:11 AM »
Religious Ideals

Every religion on Arth eventually comes around to worshiping these gods, no matter how they couch the terms.  After all, they are here.  Magic is a skill that you learn, be you a wizard or a cleric.  Clerics spend less energy and need less skill to generate effects because they are plugged into the dieties.  In addition, they are allowed to effect the fifth element- luminance/ spirit.  Mages, are only allowed to effect the other ones AND the material manifestations of luminance.

The religion of the humans of The Elven Imperium/ Known World is very different from its original form, the kind practiced by Firstland Elventi.  

The original form was more mono-theistic, with the other Gods and Masters being ancillary/ supporting spirits... like Angels and Saints are for most religions of The Book (i.e. Christian/ Jewish/ Moslem).  

The current practices put more emphasis on the various deities, shifting it from one priesthood, to one general priesthood, with 8 or so main sects.  

Though this form changes, the core ideals do not.

Law/ Order vs Chaos are the important precepts of the religion.  Order is structure, controlled motion, the way of things. Chaos is more of uncontrolled change, total randomness without (apparent) purpose, entropy/ things breaking down, and other things that the people of Arth find totally scary.  

EAch biome has a "way".  This is the patterns that are most common for the biome.  These patterns are natural, organic, material, mystical, and social.  Some things are dictated by the way, while others are not.  Thus if there are no mystical rules in the biome's way, there will be no restrictions on magic, its type or form.  If the way has mystical rules, then magic/ spirit will not function unless it conforms.  So if the way says that all spell energy comes from blood, unless you bleed your spells will not work... no matter how skilled you are.

A crude material example is a building.  If the building is not built in the style and out of appropriate materials for the way of the biome, it is more likely to collapse, need repair, need upkeep, than a building that is compliant with the way.  

If you have a farm and bring in new animals to be domestic from somewhere else.  If these animals do not "fit" the way of a given biome, they will frequently not be very fertile.  They will also be more sickly and die young.  

Way is very important, as it determine how the universe should be on the macroscopic level, as well as the biome and personal level.  No compliance with the way of the universe or biome creates chaos to bring the world more into line with what it should be.  

The way of a given place or person can change over time.  Change that is too slow or too fast is disruptive to the way, thus generate chaos.  

They recognize that too much law/ order is a bad thing. A gentle balance is desired. While balance is desired, everyone should have a side.  It is hard to walk a tightrope and not fall. So choose who and what you are, and acknolwedge that there will be others to balance you.

Good and Evil are social, not religious concepts.  Good is group/ clan/ guild orriented, while Evil is orriented towards self.  Again a balance between the two must be struck, leaning towards Good of course.  But these are social concerns, not religious ones.

Each master controls the flow of energies that empower certain that aspected to that element/ master.  The more energy something has, the more powerful/ likely to happen/ most likely to be part of the "way".  

All gods/ masters are worshiped as appropriate.  Need luck, pray to darkness. Business deal, pray to Earth. Love affair, Water and or the master of love.  You might have a patron diety, one that you feel the strongest affinitity for, but you always pray to the appropriate diety.

Note that most masters are allied or have an aspect to one of the elemental ones.  

Religion is mostly ignored, but you pay constant lip service to.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Pantheon
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 04:02:01 AM »
Like all things in Arth, there are sixes everywhere. Thus all spirits are categorized in the six tiers, dieties being the most powerful spirits and plants/ animals being the least.  

Ge-Em moved from a transental entity to one of the first tier when it created all the other dieties.  

First Tier
    Spirits of the first tier are more transadental than other things.  They do not have primary and sece' forms.  They just are, and we beings of a lower level are lucky to be able to know they exist.  
     These dieties have associated sub-dieties.  They are the third Tier.  Since Ge-Em started as a superior diety, his subdiety (Luminance/ Spirit) manifests itself as the two elemental subforms of Luminance/ Spirit- Light and Darkness.  

Ge-Em
* Omin form: Anything required.  Assumed male, but could be female.
* Associations: None and All.  
* Element: Space
* Color: Any single true (rainbow) color
* Symbol: A Star of Solomon, sometimes incribed in a circle.  
* Profession Prime: Creative, Beginings.
* Profession Sece":  Destructive, Endings.
* Cards: The Deck Itself.

Mother Arth aka Arth-A aka Mother Nature
* Omin form: Any female of any race, depends on local worshipers.  
* Associations: Passive, but creatively active
* Element: Flora and Fauna
* Color: Bright Colors.  Many use colors found predominantly in nature, Green, Brown, Blue.
* Symbol:   A simple circle
* Profession Prime: Birthing /Fertility
* Profession Sece":  The living of life with "the way of life".  
* Cards: The Court Cards

Yi-Ang
* Omin form: A balanced male and female form. Depicted in one of three ways 1) Right half male, Left half female, 2) Two humanoids (male and female) joined as if they are holding hands, 3) As a womanly beautiful man (used least because it confuses people).  The female aspects are red or have red on them, while the male aspects are blue or have blue on them.  
* Associations: Chance and Balance.
* Element: The Dance: The way things interact.  
* Color: Red and Blue in equal measures
* Symbol:   Circle with an equal division (straight line or wave sign), one part red the other blue.
* Profession Prime: Gambler, Risk taker
* Profession Sece': Measurer/ Diviner
* Cards: Trumps

Tier 2

Light
* Associations: Passive, Positive, Submissive, LAW
* Prime form: Goddess: Law/Order-Stagnant. Things to stay the way they are right now.  Appears as an inhumanly beautiful female bathed in light, with crystal staff and sparkly clothing/ items.
* Sece' form: God: Law/Order-Dynamic. Things to become stable and stop chaos.  Appears as a beautiful male with wings.  
* Element: Luminance/ Spirit- Light, links between things.
* Color: White and Lighter Greys, colors one shade off white.
* Symbol:   Equilateral Triangle pointed right
* Profession Prime: Acolyte: Faithful. Desire for faith/ spirit
* Profession Sece':  Archpriest: Control. Desire for dominance.
* Cards: Triangle/Temple, Priestess

Darkness
* Associations: Active, Negative, Dominant, CHAOS
* Prime form: God: Chaos Dynamic. Desire for changes to happen. Appearance: A dark haired, dark eyed man with a staff of ebony. Often in robes, but dressed for the situation.    
* Sece' form: Goddess: Chaos Stagnant - Changes to occur only along current lines. Things to change as they are changing right now.  Appearance: Dark Haired female in a long simple black dress.
* Element: Luminance- Darkness, magic and deception/illusion
* Color: Black and Darker Greys. Colors one shade off black.
* Symbol:   Equilateral Triangle pointed left
* Profession Prime: Mage- worker of magic. Agent of change.
* Profession Sece': Thief and Actor, workers of mind/illusion.  
* Cards: Staves/ Wands, Mage

Earth
* Associations: Passive, Negative, Dominant, LAW
* Prime form: God: Doer/ Leader. Does what needs to be done. Often seen as a king/ prince, but more correctly as a powerful man dressed as a guild leader or craftsman.  
* Sece' form: Goddess: Protectress: Aids/ Helps/ Defends those in need.  A female warrior of large stature or a sturdy healer in green.  
* Element: Metal and Rock, Craft shops
* Color: Brown/ Greys/ Metallics
* Symbol:  Equilateral triangle point down with a horizontal slash halfway through.
* Profession Prime: Merchantile/ Transactionsmiths
* Profession Sece':  Crafter- Excellence in their craft
* Cards: Shield/ Jewel, King

Air
* Associations: Active, Negative, Submissive, CHAOS
* Prime form: Goddess: Thinker, Maker of Knowledge- Gain Wisdom. Apperance: A handsome, older woman, dressed well.
* Sece' form: God: Inventor/ Teacher- User of knowledge and wisdom. Appearance: Older, handsome male, dressed in what was once very nice, but is now threadworn.
* Element: Wind/ Cloud/ Weather  Libraries/ Schools
* Color: Blue, White, Silver
* Symbol: :  Equilateral triangle point up with a horizontal slash halfway through.
* Profession Prime: Teacher - Vessel of knowledge
* Profession Sece':  Writer/ Scribe - Recoder of knowledge
* Cards: Disks/ Wheels, Queen

Fire
* Associations: Active, Positive, Dominant, CHAOS
* Prime form: God: Leaders- Foresight and charisma. Promotes growth. A red haired young man, handsome, usually in military garb, but any clothing will do.  
* Sece' form: Goddess: Destroyers- Those who lead people down the wrong path. Promotes destruction, which allows for future growth. Appearance: A female with firey hair and too many weapons.  
* Element: Fire/ Lightning/ Smoke   The Wilds
* Color: Red and yellow, smacks of green
* Symbol: Equilateral triangle point up.
* Profession Prime: Travellers and Wardens (those that live in the wilds)
* Profession Sece':  Farmers, Trappers, Loggers (those that use the wilds)
* Cards: Trees/ Swords, Knight

Water
* Associations:  Passive, Positive, Submissive, LAW
* Prime form: Goddess: Feeling, Caring, Mental balance, Love (All positive or controlled emotions). Appearance: A beatiful maid with very long hair that "puddles" at her feet.
* Sece' form: God: Lover. Passions, Drives, and all emotions imbalanced, out of control, and all negative emotions.
* Element: Water, Oceans, Sailing, Healing
* Color: Blue Greens (tiny smacks of pink/red)
* Symbol:   Equilateral triangle point down.  
* Profession Prime: Art, Artists, Producers of Beauty
* Profession Sece':  Courtisan, people who help people, healers, skills and edication to do so.  
* Cards: Heart, Rainbow, Princess

Tier 3

Chro-No
* Prime form: God: Watcher/ Keeper of time and the flow of things. Apperance: Old Man
* Sece' form: Goddess: maker of time, definer of the flow of things: Appearance: A young girl with star field eyes.  
* Associations: Yi-Ang, Balance
* Element: Time
* Color: Grey, Grey with sparkles
* Symbol:   HourGlass
* Profession Prime: Historians
* Profession Sece':  Historical Figures
* Cards: Pile of cards to draw
He is the keeper of time. The maker of destiny. One of the weavers of Ge-Em's master pattern.

Deth as to keep it seperate from Death
* Prime form: God. Simple robed figures or fairly normal looking person.
* Sece' form: Goddess? Exotic looking, playing upon the fears those have of death
* Associations: Life, Balance, Ge-Em
* Element: Spirit
* Color:  Black and Gold/ Irridescence
* Symbol:   Circle half black and half white.
* Profession Prime:
* Profession Sece':  
* Cards: Discard pile
The collector of used/ lost/ disembodied spirits for his mother to use.  He is the collector/ recycler of destroyed and used things.  He holds on to them while Ge-Em gets ready to use them.  

Luminance aka Balance of Spirit
* omin form: A pool of light in the darkness
* Sece' form: Two different Gods
* Element:  Spirit
* Color: White/ Yellow surrounded by darkness
* Symbol:  Circle of white/yellow surrounded by darkness. A star.
* Profession Prime: Goddess of Light
* Profession Sece':  God of Darkness
* Cards: #6 of all suits in the deck
This Diety is actually two dieties at once.  The cosmology gets fuzzy at this point, so most people just accept Luminance, balance of Spirit as a theoretical construct, rather than an actual diety.  

Tier 4
The Master
These are spirits charged with "administrating" a specific archetype. They are spirits of each primary things.  They are sort of the patron saints of given places or things.  Of these spirits their is a heirarchy of sorts, as masters of well defined archetypes report to masters of broader archetypes.  So the master of Wolves and the master of Dogs report to the masters of Canines, who reports to the master of animals.  Sometimes they will report to the master of the biome they are in.  

Masters are of races, object classes, places, events, customs (manners, traditions, holidays), and times.  

Masters control the flow of power to something they administer.  So if you want knowledge about something, the master can flow it into you.  If you want your swords to strike home, the master will flow it power to make it so. And so on.  

In short, Gods get all the glory, Masters do all the work (at the directions of the higher entities).

How they are used is that you pray to the appropriate first to third tier diety, and include the master.  Oh God of Chance, and master of horses and master of races, help my horse with this race.

Some important masters
These are sort of worshiped on their own.

Danu Master of Masques:  There is a whole dominant religion based around this master in Maskland.  Masques, is the controlling abstract for the physical noun masks.  In the MaskLander's home tongue, mask/ masque has many additional meanings... the most important of which is the appearance of all things which is different than their core.  Danu is a deceiver (hiding truths), a revealer (exposing truths), teacher (leading those to truth), and the core of which the natural universe is merely a mask. In short Danu, is associated with GM.  Most people in the known world do not understand how these crazy people can ignore "The Gods" and just deal with a simple master of masks.  

Master of Magik: This is the right hand being of The God of Darkness.  This is the master of magik spells and the magik of life. Power use in all its forms are his providence.  Those that practice power use (magic users, priests) all have a special place in their hearts and spells for this master.  

Master of Sailors and Mistress of Sea:  Folklore has them married. She is fickle, honest, fair, but when angered beware.  He is strong, steady, handsome, but prone to party a bit too hard.  The interplay of sea and sailor is played out in a variety of folk tales surrounding these dieties.  

Mistress of Cold:  Cold is the called by some the seventh element.  This master is quite a powerful one.  This master actually has a prime (Frost/ Ice - cold and beautiful Goddess) and sece' (Snow- happy and fat god).  There are a variety of folk stories about her, fire, and water.  Some have her as his mistress. Some have her as their daughter. Some have her as the actual tier two diety, with fire being her sece' form.  

Master of weather: One of the most commonly called upon masters. This master is in charge of all the others (wind, rain, snow, lightning, sun, heat, humidity, etc).  He is the one who coordinates the weather between Air and Water.  

Masters of Years, Months, Days, Hours:
There is a series of thrones overseeing a party of many masters.  Each Master of a year, sits for their year overseeing the party.  Each master of Months, likewise.  The six masters of days, trade between themselves, a throne.  The masters of hours likewise.  The masters of specific months, days, hours, act as servants at the party for their time.  

There are many folk tales and parables built around these dieties, from tier 1 on down.  Most did not actually happen, but they are alegorical.  

Tier 5
These are the spirits of sentient things.  That is all peoples, deamons, and elder races.

Tier 6
These are the spirits of all subsentient things, animals and plants.  Strangely enough, these spirits are more powerful than one would expect because they are not burdened with thought.  They are part of the Way.

Key:   (Note magic is built upon these same assumptions)
Active/ Air, Fire, Darkness
These promote change or motion in a system
Passive/ "Law" Earth, Water, Light
These promote stability and resistance to change.

Positive/  Fire, Water, Light.
Things are for the better, growth/ development
Negative/  Air, Earth, Darkness
Things are for the worse, or removed/ redeveloped

Dominant/  Earth, Fire, Darkness
In charge or controls situation
Submissive/ Air, Water, Light
reliquishes control of situation.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
19) The way of magik
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 02:21:15 AM »
In most parts of the Known World, magik will function as follows.

Magik is a skill, a skill of channeling ones own spirit into moving the cosmic forces about it.  While anyone can learn the skill of magik (and cast effects), only those who constantly work at magik (developing sensativities, avoiding things to diminish them, etc) who can do powerful magiks.  This process is fatiguing, both spiritually and physically.  

All spell effects must be empowered. Nothing is for free. Energy tied up in a spell can not be recovered untill the duration is over.  If you create a permanent spell, the energy used to cast it is not recovered until the spell or item is destroyed.  (Hence most magic items are foci giving you the ability to cast spells).  

Spells are a process or task, not a "thing".  

Most spells are not flashy or of great power (and most people will not sacrifice that much power and effort to boost up smaller spells to make them truly powerful.  Gurps spell lists are good examples.  

Star Stone is a crystyline material that will focus energies.  It occurs seemingly randomly thoughout Arth.  Dwarventi find it holy and will not mine it.  Elventi desire it, as it makes all their magics easier.  Humans see it as a tool and a commodity.  

Spell casting also must follow the way of the biome it is in. What works in one biome, may not work in another.  There are biomes that require a power focus, others that require time and effort to finally move energy, and hundreds of variations.  

There are four categories of magik users.

Spell Casters:  These are people who know a spell or two.  Each one is an expensive skill to learn (or requires a feat or gift).  The reason this is, is that they have to learn a variety of related elements, as rote recitals of words and simple mental techniques will not work most of the time.

Mages: The bulk of all magik users.  They have practiced sensitivities, understand at some level the forces and how they interact, and have a strong spirit conduit.  Most of their abilities are trained and learned, through they usually have some natural aptitude to travel down this path.  For a mage, spells are just skills to be learned.

Wizards:  A small percentage of the magik using population (10% is generous).  These people have a great deal of natural aptitude and have dedicated themselves to magikcraft.  Their studies allow them to cast spells more easily and with less energy costs.  Their understanding of things allow them enough insight to create new mystical spell processes.  

Sorcerers:  A tiny percentage of the magik using population.  Sorcerers have moved beyond basic magiks.  They directly focus cosmic elemental forces.  They can manipulate reality around them (limited by their knowledge of it, their concentration, and endurance) and produce new spell like effects on a moment's notice.  While most Elder Elves are magic users of some kind, they are known to be Sorcerers of some kind.  Sorcerers tend to use Key Orbs and Plyons in their spell casting.  

Mutants/ Elder Races: Okay, so there is a fifth category, but they are a limited one.  Every Elder race has innate mystical abilities, spells hard coded into their nervous systems.  These instinctive abilities are honed by practice, just like balanced walking or swimming.  Every now and again, a being will be born with a hardwired spell (or small set of related spells).  Mutants tend to function everywhere, but when the way prohibits them, then tend to get sick and will soon die if they stay in the biome.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
20) Brief History
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 04:09:46 AM »
The first tribe of Elventi find themselves on Firstland.  The Elventi expand and intergrate themselves into the ecologies of the Firstland biomes.  This occured vastly before any recorded activity on the other lands.  

after some time
The Dwarventi begin to spread amongst the mountains of Thirdland.
As the Dwarventi expand, they encounter Orcenti.  The Dwarventi begin to carve out their great halls. This process takes several hundred years and is occuring when the Humanti arrive.  

after some more time
Note: Secondland is a land with a warp, a place where people and things from other worlds.  It is in the "eastern swamp biome".  

The Humanti tribes move from the swamp around the warp, and expand into the 14 other biomes of Secondland.  Over the next few hundred years they change from stone age peoples to an early bronze age peoples.  

The Wapti, an odd multipod species, came through the warp.  Being antagonistic and zenophobic, they began to attack the Humanti.  They initially drove them from the coasts that were their livelyhoods. Realizing the Humantis had taken to the high ground, they attempted to drive them from there with a series of offensives. Pushed and trapped, the Humanti tribes made secret runs to the sea.  The Humanti tribes took to the sea, to paddle away from the monsters.  

They eventually found their way, in waves, to Firstland.  At first the Elventi were concerned and admused by these primative peoples.  Taking a paternal interest in the Humanti, the Elventi of the Imperium taught them the way of civilizations (adjusted for the short humanti attention span).  The Humanti became knights and vassels of the Elventi Imperium.  

It was from the Humanti that the Elventi discovered the rest of the lands.  Bringing Humanti soldiers along, the Elventi swept the Wapti back into the warp swamp biomes.  The "civilized humans" then "uplifted" the remaining "highlanders" (those that had survived the Wapti offensives and did not run to the sea).  The Humanti took to the task of building a Humanti civilization on Secondland and defending themselves from the Wapti.  

While Humanti society was developing on SecondLand, the Elventi used their new found knowledge of "tuning into pylons" to gate to other "lands" near FirstLand.  With a small militia of Elventi augmenting the Elder Elventi army, they managed to "conquer" all the peoples of ThirdLand.  In some places, the conquest was military (as with the Dwarventi).  In others, it was merely administrative (they came, they negociated, the natives accepted).  FirstOcean was contacted and eventually brought under Imperial rule.  Northland was found, and except for an embasy to the StarElventi, has been left unadministered. Though technically part of the Imperium, the Imperium has no presence there.  

Humans from Firstland and a few from SecondLand colonized most of ThirdLand.  The Elventi were delighted to gate the initial colonists, though eventually the Humanti were able to ply the sea biomes between the Lands.  Those Humanti initially gated paid for their passage by working in StarStone mines, or other projects for the Imperium.  

It was durring this time that the Amazonenti and the Nikhonese Orcenti came throught the warp.  The Amazonenti tribe that came through the Warp, fought their way out of the swamp. After some intial conflicts with the Humanti of SecondLand, the Imperium granted them biomes adjacent and charged them with the task of stopping Wapti agression.  The Orcenti Nikhonese actually did not come through the Warp. The GrandOne, a warrior elite from another land (A Samurai), came through the Warp, eluded the Wapti and made it to the coast.  He saw an island that he thought was home.  He realized his mistake once he was there.  The venerated FirstMother watched this warrior save some of her children.  From then on, each generation learned and was taught.  

Humanti spread throughout ThirdLand, encountering a number of lesser peoples (Small Folks, Gargoyles, Dwarventi, Kern, WildElves, Wastelanders (technically Humanti, but....), Goblins, HobGoblins, and a few others).  The three great city states (Imperial regions) of Amar, Antioch, and Avaon were formed to administer Western Thirdland.  The Principalities and Dwarventi Clans administer the Northern regions.  The Various Tribes of the Western Wastes, and Eastern Plains administer there.  The peoples found the appropriate Ways for each of their biomes and live in harmony with the Lands.  

Note: Most of the "made" races on ThirdLand can trace their origins to a small set of biomes in the South East of ThirdLand.  These Biomes are filled with ruined cities.  The Human "Makers" had a thriving society based on alchemy and "shifting" living things.  Many centuries ago, there was a crisis of some kind.  Now there is nothing but ruins there.  

In the last century, Humanti sailors have discovered two new Lands.  The first, MaskLand literally appeared via the blue fog. (Witnessed by some Dolphin Clan Sailors).  An Imperial Envoy and three Guards were sent to explain to the Masklanders the "way of things".  The MaskLanders accepted graciously.  In the last 30 years or so, the Humanti sailors discovered FourthLand (which had appeared in much the same way as MaskLand, but had done so about 200 years earlier).  Again Envoys were sent to both peoples of Forthland (Lamic and Ngetti Humanti).  While they are in constant conflict with each other, they both agreed to be part of the Imperium. (And the Ngetti actually seem to be the people the Imperium most approve of, to the annoyance of the apparently more civilized Lamnic peoples).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
21) languages
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 05:30:23 AM »
Imperial High: This is the highest and most proper form of the Elventi Language.  It sounds has a sound and cadence like Chinese.  When translated, it is filled with flowery and descriptive metaphors. Keep in mind that this is the language of ritualistic immortals (or near immortals).  The average baron's title takes two minutes to complete and the Emperor's takes fifteen.  

Keep in mind that all Imperial Tongues use the sounds and patterns that allow for the manipulation of mystic forces (i.e. it is the language of magic).  All spell effects cast in Imperial receive a bonus to cast or effect.

Imperial- Elventi: This is the more common form of the Imperial tongue, spoken by Elventi.  It has the same cadence and sound as Chinese, but it is vastly more compact in its description.  

Imperial - Humanti: The best way to describe this is Imperial Elventi mashed with the Humanti base tongue.  This is the bastard langauge developed by the short lived humanti allowing them some level of communication.  Humanti has adopted a number of words from other languages and peoples, adding them to this bastard version of Imperial. This is the closest thing to a "common tongue" that the Imperium has.  In short, it sort of sounds like English.

Most peoples have given up on their native tongues, in favor of Imperial of some flavor.  

Humantal: This is the "mother tongue" of the Humanti of SecondLand.  For centuries, it was only used by the Highland Humanti. In the last decade or so, there has been a movement towards using this language.  It is a way for Humanti to declare their independence from the Elventi.  It is currently being used in a few Secondland biomes and the Thirdland CityState of Amar.  It has a French and old English sound to the language.  This language originally had no written equivalent, so it uses Imperial script.

Deep Dwarventi: This is the common language of the Dwarventi.  It is the formal language of the deep people.  It is normally used in official and ritual situations, or when two dwarventi do not speak the same dialect of Shallow Dwarventi.  The Sound of Deep Dwarven is Germanic with touches of Russian.  It uses a rune alphabet, but is easily adapted to Imperial script.  

Shallow Dwarventi: These are the "local" languages for each hall.  Each clan and each hall has its own variations of pronuciation and vocabulary.  The more you have in common with the person you are speaking with (clan, region, hall) , the more you can understand.  It is very possible that two dwarventi from different regions and clans will have no clue what each are saying if they use Shallow Dwarventi.  Thus they will tend to use Deep Dwarventi.  

Orish: The language of all Orcenti of Secondland. It is the genetic tongue that all Orcenti know.  It sounds a great deal like Dwarventi, but is more gutteral and is known for "punching out" one sylable at a time.

Plains Speak: There are dozens of variations of this language, but it is a very simple and basic language spoken by the various races of the Plains.  Most speakers can follow what someone speaking a variation is saying.  This language is also spoken by the WildMen of the Western Wastes as well.  

Odds:
Nikhonese: A language that is reminicent of Imperial. It is Japanese with a sound and cadence that is more natural to the Orcenti mouth.  

Amazonenti: A language that is very similar to Humanti Imperial.  It is thought that their original language was simply translated into Imperial by the way of the Warp.

MaskLander: A language that is very similar to Humanti Imperial, however it uses a different word order. To the gamer's mind, it is called "Yoda Speak".  It is thought that their original language was simply translated into Imperial by the way of the Warp.

Lamic: A language that is very similar to Humanti Imperial. It is known for very short, very concise sentences. It is thought that their original language was simply translated into Imperial by the way of the Warp.

Ngeti tongue: A language that is very similar to Elventi Imperial.  It is thought that their original language was simply translated into Imperial by the way of the Warp.

Wapti: This telepathic langauge can only be spoken by Wapti or High Elventi.  Others only hear it in their own tongue.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
22) FirstLand OverView
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 04:48:46 AM »
Firstland is the home of the Imperial Seat and most of the Elventi of the known world (though Thirdland will soon surpass them).

It is a seven major biome landmass, that looks like a flattened and elonged hexagon. The FirstBiome, Key, is the central one. The other six surround it. The other six have three facesides, facing ocean. Despite being near an ocean, the Elventi never became sailors.

Elventi living here live in their own pattern. Living with a longer view of things, and a dedication to their family and descendents, means all Elventi societial elements are planned for the long term. Given the number of Elventi, their slow rate of breeding, and their view of things, there is always times to plan for things. Elventi Cities are built under domes of magical force, which mutes most of the inclement weather and averages out the temperature inside. Homes and most buildings are built out of huge magically sculpted trees. They are linked together via bridging branches, sculpted walkways, and beautiful garden paths. The population in an Elventi "city" is still vastly more distributed than in an Humanti city. Even more so because of the various levels of the city. Elventi farms/ or fields are carefully planted in and amoungst the natural plants even in city areas. The untrained eye might spot an Elventi field, but the trained eye will notice the increased number of certain plants. Everything is done with an eye to the rythm of life.

Over the last century or two, the ocean level has been rising notably. In the coastal biomes, many of the lowlands and river areas have an influx of sea water. This has made for a salty marsh like environment. Many trees are growing gnarled and stumpy because of this. The common Elventi response is "the sea rises and the sea lowers. It will lower again". Despite these protests of "everything is under control and going according to our plan", many FirstLand communities are getting "crowded" for dispersed Elventi communities. This is putting some strain on the carefully managed communities. It is because of this rising ocean level that many Elventi are "visiting" Thirdland.

Biomes of Note
FirstBiome - Key: This is the Imperial seat of power. The biome's geography is huge number of gently rolling hills piled upon each other. This gently "bumpy" terrain means the altitude generally goes up as you head towards the center of the biome. The ecology is one of a giant redwood forest. The weather is fairly mild, even for Firstland. It has been termed perfect by almost all who have gone there.

The Imperium is run out of the Imperial Center. This is a magnificent building. Though made of stone and glass, it appears to be a natural extension of the world. Inside is contained the Imperial Court, most High Elventi, the Imperial Militia's training grounds and Barracks, and several gate terminals.

Surrounding the Imperial Center is a series of cities, each built upon a series of continuous hills.

All the roads between these cities are Imperial Roads. In fact all the main "True roads" are imperial roads made via magic to be immune to time and weather.

SecondBiome: Barrony of Northwoods
In the "12 o'clock position", the Northwoods was the first Biome the Elventi colonized after FirstBiome. Of all the biomes on FirstLand, it is the most like FirstBiome. In terms of Terrain and Ecology, it is almost the same. The rolling hills get lower and lower as the land meets the sea. The weather of the Northwoods is what is different. It is cooler and wetter than FirstBiome. There is almost always an ocean mist shrouding the hills here. While snow is extremely rare in FirstBiome, a light dusting of snow happens every winter here.

The people of Northwoods are very traditional Elventi. (Some would say stubborn). If noted for a craft, it is their wood working and wood weaving abilities that come to mind. Life here is much like it has always been, little from the other people of the Imperium is found here. And that is the way they like it. They also supply most of the Low Elventi support for the Militia.

Barron Northwood, appointed by The Emperor to rule here, has overseen his people's move to this biome and everything they have done since. He is an orderly man, staunchly supporting Law.

This biome is the least effected of the biomes by the flooding. What flooding does occur seem to subside every year or three. They see nothing wrong, just a fluxuation in the way.

ThirdBiome: Barrony of Blue Twine.
This biome is in the "10 o'clock" position of the contient. It is more horizontally long than wide biome. It is a deep pine forest biome. Meandering slowly through the hilly and rocky terrain are dozens of streams and rivers. This maze of blue flows are what give the barony its name. A few young low Elventi explored this biome without Imperial permission while looking for materials to build The Imperial Seat. They were pardoned, as the variety and quality of stones in the hills are without compare. They also found easily accessed iron here. Smiths (crafters) were dispatched, gates were set up, and the first encampments were set up. One of the impertinant low Elventi, ascended a decade later. He became first the OverSeer and then the Barron of the Biome.

While several hometrees have been imported here, they have nearly all failed to thrive. The Elventi are coaxing the local pines to an appropriate size, but they are not as strong. Many of the buildings here are incredibly crafted stoneworks. Many of which look like natural extensions of stone. Wooden buildings, similar to what Humanti make exist here. Though the craftsmanship is beyond any Humanti hands.

Barron BlueTwine is an amusing man who will frequently send Elventi to investigate possible sources of material and new techniques. It was through his insistance that the near genocide of the Dwarventi was halted (all conditional of their accepting Elventi rule of course). He and his Smiths have learned much from the Dwarventi, as well as Humanti. The Smiths (crafters) here are know to take any technique developed by another peoples and to extend it, perfecting. He is currently organizing a group who will investigate the ruins in the SouthEastern Biomes of Thirdland. The ruins are from the society that created the Puti and almost all the created races on Thirdland. There is talk of a Elventi Colony there.

The rising sea has had little impact here. Instead of flooding lands, the shoreline has simply moved inland, making for less livable land.  

Forthbiome: NewHome:
In the "8 o'clock" position, this biome is a more horizontally long than wide biome, like Blue Twine. Using magicks, the Elventi have change the biome to make it much like that of FirstBiome. Except for the weather, which is more extreme (both hotter and colder and wetter, with more pronounced seasons), they have succeeded. The hills here flow down from Firstbiome to the shore. The colonizing of NewHome was performed after a brief baby boom in FirstBiome. The NewHome area was prepared for the increased population. It is currently the second most populated biome on Firstland.

Lady Lord NewHome, considered all who lived here her guest. This attitude was tested when the short and smelly Humanti came ashore here. They had arrived here unnoticed for a time. They "dispoiled" the local shoreline with their ugly dwellings. She asked for a guard to join her when she asked them to leave. Using her formitable telepathic gifts, she discovered that they were fleeing the distruction of their own lands by the Ugly Wapti. Taking pity on them, and their increasing numbers, she allowed them to stay. She took a hands on approach to them, insisting that if they stay they must behave properly. It is Lady NewHome that is specifically responsible for the civilizing of the Humanti.

The Humanti lived on Firstland for a number of Humanti generations. They formed an underclass in Elventi society here. They worked as Servants, Smiths, and Laborers, under Elventi direction. Eventually, the Army attempted to train the Humanti to be proper warriors. While there attention span was too short, they made adequite warriors who assisted the Elventi in liberating SecondLand and civilizing the SecondLand Highlanders.

The ocean level is creeping up here, and encroaching upon habitated lands.  The various large trees are begining to warp and twist under the influance of the salty water.  

FifthBiome: StoneForrest
This Barrony is in the "6'oclock" position of FirstLand. It was one of the three biomes the Emperor decreed must be colonized on FirstLand. It is a biome filled with a deep blue green pine. The terrain is deep rocky ravines with large natural standing stones jutting from the ground. One of the other noted features is the dozens, upon dozens of rope bridges that cross the many ravines. It is both warmer and colder than most of the southern biomes. As the upper hills heat up, they draw moisture from the sea. Most ravines are shrouded in sea clouds (fog) moving either inland (day) or out to sea (night). So it is occasionally warmer here than else where, but the fog makes it cooler.

The Lord of StoneForrest is one CloudsSlidingAcrossTheMountains. He has not adopted this Barony as his own. In fact, he had to accept this "honor" inspite of his attempts to avoid it and the machinations of others. It was a political manuver to honor a member of Court for his contributions, yet keep him out of court. To say he is upset, these several centuries later, is an understatement. However, most of the time he hides it behind a stoic facade. Many others, who found themselves here for similar reasons, have adopted this stoic attitude. There is little joy among the Stones here.

When the Humans came, The Elventi of StoneForrest had originally driven them away, usually quite permanently. It was only after Lady NewHome made a formal announcement of their presence on FirstLand at Court that the practice of removing humans was stopped. He only allowed them along the coast and lowlands, so he would not be seen as a ungracious host. When the talk of retaking SecondLand first started, he immediately began to train his humans unmercifully to be proper warriors. There was only a very small number of Humanti left in StoneForrest until recently, as The Barron made sure most of them were gated back to their new homeland.

The rising of the Sea Level is causing issues here. The sea water has completed flooded the lower ravines, destroying the Humanti towns.  Many of the various hills are now small islands surrounded by water.  Trees are begining to shift slightly here at the lower elevations.  

SixthBiome: WhiteWoods
This biome is in the "2 o'clock" position on Firstland.  The Terrain here is even, though gently sloping downward from sea.  The shimmer wall between here and all the other biomes is nearly opaque, as the weather here is very different.  Here, it snows. Thermos (summer) is the only time there is not snow on the ground. There is only a light snow, in Lumos, Storos and Lemos. Lemos and Fremos have deep snows.  HomeTrees will grow here, though slowly even with magic.  Most of the trees are a bright emerald green pine like trees.  

The people of WhiteWoods are a calm and group orriented by nature.  There are so few Elventi, that there are no "cities" here. There are not Elventi to focus and create city domes, and they would probably be against the "way" of the biome anyways.  The Elventi here tend to live in great lodge homes made of wood, stone, living trees, and in some areas ice where several familities of a given area/ town live together.  Even those in HomeTrees will live in large communal areas.  The long winters huddled around magical HearthStones gives them an odd sense of privacy (all privacy is mental, everything else is not important).  

Lord and Lady Lord WhiteWood are "co-rulers", sharing the duties of Barron, for the Biome.  They are elderly, even for High Elventi standards. They are the image of the stately, proper, High Elventi. They both have long flowing white hair. Most Elventi born to this area have the same.  

This is the only Northern Biome that has Humanti. They adopted a handful of them when the WhiteWoods noticed they were being "mistreated" on a visit to StoneForrest.  The Humans brought their domesticated animals with them (Dogs, Cats, Chickens).  With the Elventi help, they soon domesticated the Great Elk of WhiteWoods, as beasts of burden (pulling Humanti invented Sleds) and sources of milk.

Like BlueTwine, the flooding has done nothing but shift the coastline inward.  Since no one was living near the coast, there has been little in the way of disruption of WhiteWood society. A few people are indefinitely visiting their inland relatives.

SeventhBiome: WhiteCliffs
This biome is in the "4 o'clock" position on FirstLand. This biome has three plains or plateus (Highland, Midlands, LowLands) all bordered by tall white stone cliffs (or the ocean).  The LowLands have HomeTrees, the Midland a mix of pines/ oaks/ and HomeTrees, and the Highlands only Pines and Scrubs.  The temperatures are "perfect"/moderate at lower levels, and only slightly unpleasant on the HighLands.

In WhiteCliffs, almost all the buildings are made of sculpted trees of all variety.  Though this is a new "colony" of Elventi, the art of tree shaping has been perfected here.  Even the Humanti art of WoodSmithing, has been expanded into an Elventi acceptable artform, with a level of carving, joining, and manufacturing unequalled in all the Known World.

Lord WhiteCliff is different from most of his Elventi companions. To the Court, and most Elventi, he is a reactionary, manic, worry wart.  He no longer lives in the timeless state of cyclic life known as "elventi time".  He, and all his people are living in "Humanti time".

In the begining, he was indifferent to the Humans that found their way to his biome. He treated them like guests and children.  Their woodsmith skills were interesting, but nothing outstanding.  He was just like all the other Elventi; that was, until the sea floods started.  

Most of the population in WhiteCliffs lives on the vast LowLand Plain.  The Lord was most stressed by the change of sea level.  Lord WhiteCliff quickly learned that this was no mere rising and lowering of sea levels. The Lower Plain was flooding. The Great Trees and other Treehomes were sickening and dying, as the land became a salty swamp.  It was the humanti of WhiteCliffs who saved the trees. They Humanti saw that the Elventi were worrying and fretting, but not doing anything. They owed their Elventi mentors so much, they began just to save what they could, creating emergency canals and dykes, and filter ponds to create fresh water and salt. They worked at such a fever pitch, doing what needed to be done, when it needed to be done, that they saves all the endangered trees AND even extended the amount of arriable land beyond the previous shoreline.  Most of the Elventi recoilled in horror at such randomness and non traditional actions, yet they were amazed that their beloved trees were saved.  If it had not been for their Humanti and their "Humanti time" pace and way of thinking, there would be only a scant number of Elventi left in WhiteCliffs living in the less pleasant HighLands.  

Thus the Elventi of WhiteCliffs now have adopted the Humanti Time way of life.  Their biome is a bustle of activity as new things are being done, new projects are being started, and the Elventi and Humanti work side by side. This is the only place on Firstland that seems like ThirdLand.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
23) SecondLand Overview
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 07:08:24 AM »
SecondLand is the "second land" that the Empire adopted as their own.  Since the Humanti natives did not have a name for where they came from except "Home", it has become the official name of the land.  

The Template for SecondLand is Early Italian Renaissance City States.  Lots of Intrigue. Lots of plots. Lots of people waundering about with Fencing Blades.  Add to that The Amazonti (who are adopting part of the Humanti ways), the Great Warp Swamp, and the Nikhonese Island, and you have an interesting place.  

There are 12 Humanti Clans here.  Each clan basically controls one biome.  The clan head is normally installed as the regional Prince. Even if they are not the head of the official government of the biome, they are the one in change.  Each Biome sends one representative to the DiPrince's Council (An ambassador). Though usually it is the Clan Head, it does not have to be.  The Highlander clans send three ambassadors and the Amazonti send one. (The Wapti and Nihkonese have been invited to send one, but have impolitely declined).  The DiPrince council is the advisory for the DiPrince, which they select from one of their members. The DiPrince acts as the Governer of SecondLand for the Empire. (Note this is the only place where a non High Elventi is such a ruler).  Every clan head strives to be The DiPrince, as they can then forward policies and trade arrangements that are benificial to their clan.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
24) Western Part of SecondLand - The Clans
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 01:36:15 AM »
The Twelve Humanti Territories

Each clan is from one of the three regions, which confusingly are called Western, Central, Eastern. There is a range of hills and mountains dividing each region to the North and South.  Every Northern Biome will have hills and Low mountains in the south; while Southern Biomes will have them to the North.  Each of the three regions has a good pass to reach the North/ South supporting trade and transportation.  

The Central Part of SecondLand includes the two eastmost Humanti biomes (#5 and #11) and the two Amazonti biomes.  The Eastern Part is the Warp Swamp and Nikhonese island.  

1) Archerius:
A North Central region clan. They are allied with The Magicus (who they share the ends of the central pass with) and The Quieticus (who have been staunch supporter of theirs since the return) and foes of The Gladius (whom they conflict over the ownership of a lake bisected by the two biomes) . The clan's name represents Archery. This clan was known for its archery before they were trained by the Elventi Archer  "ArcheroftheSwiftDeathflyingSilentlyfromAfar". Now they are near legendary.  This clan is known for their military skills, most notably archery.  This clan specializes in making weapons as well.  The Archerius clan lord is the current DiPrince. His son is now the current Prince of their biome.  

2) Carians
A North Eastern region clan. They are allied with The Iarians and foes of The Oarians. The origin of the clan's name has been lost to antiquity. This clan is known for ShipSmithing and the most beautiful women in all of SecondLand.  The men of Carians do the building and sailing, the women do the trading and entertaining.   The women doing the trading has cause some conflict with their Iarian trading partners (they think the women might be in cohoots with the Amazonti, combined with their prejudice against women).  

3) Excellius
An North Western region clan. They are allied with The Quietous and The Whiterious whom they share the north end of the dual pass that exits in both their territories.  They oppose Keeprians because of their continued attacks since time began (some nonsense about a feud that really does not exist, kept up as an excuse to take over). The clan's name represents excellence, a virtue they have learned from the Elventi.  This clan's biome has a variety of resources, including mines, forrests, and rich off shore kelp beds.  Excellence is what every smith (crafter) strives for in this biome.  And it shows.  These people make the finest items, including swords, in all of SecondLand.  

4) Gladius
A North Central region clan. They are currently allied with anyone causing trouble for the Archerious, being long time foes of The Archerious (over the ownership of the large lake that borders both their biomes). They also oppose The Oarians (over a series of broken marriage alliances) and the Stonians (whom support the HighLander's cause). The clan's name comes from the sword that they used to retake their homeland. This clan is known for its dueling skills. Some of the finest bladesmen in SecondLand are trained in Gladius schools.  However, fine swordsmanship in a duel does not translate well into military prowess in the large scale.  Not helping matters is the Gladius's Vinyards.  Some very fine wines are made in this territory. Between duels and drunken brawls, the Gladius are so busy with each other that they can not take what they think of as their proper place in the world.  

Note: The HighLander clans in this biome are either brigands of the worst kind or freedom fighters trying to throw out the "invading" Gladius clans.  Most of this biome is "highlands" filled with hills and mountains. The Gladius have displaced the HighLanders to less desireable areas.  The HighLanders have fought an on and off campaign against these "invaders".

5) Iarians
A North Eastern region clan. They are allied with Carians, and foes of Uritican (whom they blame for allowing the Amazonti to take their second eastern biome) and Amazonti. The clan's name represents Iarian an Air Elventi Militia DiLeader who lead these peoples to conquer this area of SecondLand and to pacify the HighLanders. For a time, he was even their Prince. Upon his death, his subLeader took over for him and renamed the clan. Though they have had a noble origin, they have yet to maintain it.  Of all the SecondLanders, these people are the most bigoted.  They dislike non-SecondLanders, Amazonti, Wapti, and Orcenti, in about that order. They look down upon women, which has not helped their relationship with the Amazonti.  The terrain in their biome is excellent for fruit trees. They have an Orchard Festival that all of SecondLand wishes to attend.  They also make a wide variety of Fruit Alcohols that are highly prized and even grace the Imperial Table.  

6) Keeprian
An Northern Western region clan. They are allied with Gladius (as they attack Archerians), and foes of Archerians (whom do not see them as opposed) and Magicus (who are strongly allied with Archerians) and Excellius (whom they have had an ongoing feud with them since they clans returned.  Their opposition to Archerians are rooted in recent history. The Keeprian's lost control over their own clan region's government about 50 years ago.  The Archerian's being DiPrince at the time, installed a puppet Prince of the Archerian line, to run the Biome. Twenty years ago, there was a revolt and the Keeprians retook the Princedom.  Since then they have done what they could to break Archerius power.  Other than a swampy terrain known for growing rice and swamp fruit trees, there is nothing remarkable about this biome.  

7) Magicus
A South Central region clan. They are allied with Archerius (though marriage and their shared ownership of the Central pass). Unlike most clans, they have no real allies or enemies. They take a studied position of neutrality and advisory roles. The clan's name represents Wisdom. Something the clan has been known for since days gone by.  The finest University of SecondLand is found in the Hilltop city of A-terras.  

8) Oarians
A South Eastern region clan. They are allied with The Stonians (shared blood). They have long term issues with the Gladius (over a number of broken dowery promises) and Carians (whom they fight over the Eastern Pass for Tax revenue). The clan's name represents come from their old outrigger clan name. While competent sailors, they are better known for their fine cloths and contton products.  They are also the most fun loving and gregorious people of all SecondLand.  Their outgoing nature is made more pronounced by their neighboring clan's more stoic and tacturn natures.  

9) Quietous
A South Western  region clan. They are allied with The Archerious and The Excellius (whom they share excellent trading relations, and foes of the Keeprians (who see them as Archerious lackey's). The clan's name represents "the quiet", mental stillness that leads to great thoughts and deeds, a concept they learned from the Elventi. This medative ideal, learned from Elventi Sorcerers, is a common thread in Quietous culture. This trait is credited in allowing the small Quietous ships to travel as far as they do, with fewer supplies and problems than any other Humanti fleet.

Clan's lands are cold and often dusted in snow. While they came from WhiteWoods and WhiteCliff, they have not adopted their name.  This biome also has the best ports on the Western region of SecondLand.

10) Stonian
A South Central region clan. They are allied with Orians and foes of The Hated Gladius. The clan's name represents Stone Strength. These people had lived for a time in StoneForrest because of the Land's name.  They adopted the stoic outlook of all StoneForresters.  The Stonian biome is filled with rolling hills and mountains. One can not tell where "the highlands" begin and end here. That is why The Stonians have good relations with the HighLanders. (Some people just consider the Stonians a large HighLand clan).  There is some farming here, but mostly there is just sheep and cattle.  

The Stonians are often in the minority of all DiPrince council decisions.  However, they have a great deal of power, as their vote sways the HighLander Ambassadors (most of the time).  

11) Uritican
A South Eastern region clan. They are allied with Amazonti and have an antagonistic relationship with all the other Humanti clans.  When the Amazonti first came to SecondLand, they had been ignored and treated badly by the Humanti.  The Uritican's were no exception. Even more so than other clans, since they controlled their own biome and one to the east.  Durring a time of an intra-clan conflict, where several branches were fighting over the princedom, the Wapti made a focused offensive into their lands.  The Uriticans long ago were fierce fighters and held The Wapti at bay. They were the clan of the First DiPrince and had several ceremonial duties to the Imperium.  Over time, the clan's martial might slipped towards dueling and the arts. They became merchants and sailors rather than soldiers and generals. The Wapti were poised to conquer their biomes and no other Humanti clan offered aid.  The Amazonti, who had already fought the Wapti Nation, rallied.  They lead the counter offensive against the Wapti. Given the Dry Ground and support of the Uritican's, they drove them back to the Swamps.  In gratitude, the Uritican's gave them their East most biome. The Clan's name comes from what the Humanti originally called this region of "Home"/ SecondLand.  The Clan is known for sailing and merchantile prowess. Their biome has a wondeful natural harbour.  (It was Uritican's who first sailed to ThirdLand from SecondLand. The Uriticans are also known for tradition, pomp, parades, and flashy uniforms.

12) Whiterous:
An South Western region clan. They are allied with The Excellius (fine trading partners), and foes of The Gladius (over an insult in the DiPrince's council 200 years ago). The clan's name represents comes from WhiteWoods Biome.  This clan was once the Dog People. They were rescued by the Lords of WhiteWoods from oppression by the StoneForrest Elventi. In gratitude, they took their current name. This clan is known for its jewelry (silvercraft) and its DogCraft (raising, breeding, and using Dogs). The clan's lands are very cold, just like the White Woods.    

Western Region  Clans 3, 6, 9, 12
Central Region  Clans 1, 4, 7, 10
Eastern Region  Clans  2, 5, 8, 11

Northern Clans 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Southern Clans 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

3 - 6 - 1 - 4 - 2 - 5 - A - W - W    O    
9 -12- 7 -10- 8 -11- A - W -W  

There are also dozens of highland clans. These clans are nominally allied with each other and with the Lowland clan of their biome.  However, highland clans are really just a function of bloodline sorting and a reason to duel and thieve other people who are not related to you.

Note: Any SecondLander will have a name of the following format,

Personal Name OF THE (insert clan name).
Example: Arionous of the Archerious

Some will include a family line inside the clan after, so it would be:
Personal Name Of The (clan) of family (family name)
Example: Arionous of the Archerious of the GreenFeather family.

HighLanders do basically the same thing, except they use "Of the Clan"
Greggorius of the Clan Stonepeaks.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
25) Central SecondLand - Amazonti Territory
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 01:36:30 AM »
The Two Amazonti biomes are two "thick" areas, longer than wide.  They are broad flat grasslands, punctuated by jungle areas were there is good underground water. These biomes are more tropical than the rest of SecondLand with a wide variety of exotic lifeforms.  (The Lifeform here are Pleistocene/ post last ice age mammals and birds)

The least of the exotics are the Amazonti themselves.

Four Hundred plus years ago, people from the Island City of Amazonia found themselves, and parts of their cities, pulled from their homeworld and deposited in the Warp Swamp of SecondLand. They attempted peaceful contact with the Wapti, but were met with a zenophobic attack.  The Amazonti packed what they could, destroyed the rest, and marched west in the hope of getting away from the Wapti and their dangerous swamp.  

Through a series of dangerous manuvers and some military action, they escaped the Warp Swamp. They had lost almost half their number in the Swamps.  When the emerged, they were lucky enough to soon encounter some Humantis in their watch towers.  These guards were the "lucky" souls to defend SecondLand from the Wapti.  Learning of "civilization" to the East, the Amazonti made there way across the plains.  

Upon reaching civilization, they discovered it was only slightly better than the swamp monsters and plains monsters they had left behind.  No one biome was able to absorb such a inswell of population, so the DiPrince council asked the Amazonti to "spread themselves" between the various biomes.  They did as they were asked.  In smaller numbers they found themselves victims of prejudice (at worst) and unease (at best).  They were seen as forces of Chaos, unnatural to the Way of things.  They would surely bring chaos to the Lands.

A handful found their way to ThirdLand, but it was a wilder and stranger place than SecondLand.  

A few years later, The Wapti decided to strike. For the first time in centuries, they make an organized assault upon the Humanti lands.  Somehow they managed to overcome the forces of the Watchtowers in such a way that the Alarm (a magical summons to call an Imperial warrior or two) was never sounded.  The Wapti followed the Imperial road to Uritican lands.  Assuming that they were unable to stop the Wapti entrenched in Uritican lands, the DiPrince ordered the forces to defend their biome borders adjacent to the Uritican's.  

The Amazonti head of their plight and the presence of Wapti and decided, almost as one, to defend these people from the "Evil Swamp Monsters".  The Amazonti swarmed across the land and struck at the Wapti with such force that they managed to dislodge the entrenched Wapti.  They forced them out of Uritican lands, and across the plains, and deep into their swamps.  

The Uritican Lord, one Lord Chrisius of Uritican, gave the Amazonti both the clan's eternal gratitude, half their lands, and gold from their treasury.  The Uritican Lord petitioned the DiPrince to allow them all the "Middle Lands", with the implied promise that they would guard SecondLand from another Wapti attack.  The plan was opposed by the Iarians who did not wish to give away their source of exotic pelts and ivory.  The DiPrince thought the solution was a good one, especially when an Imperial advisor suggested it was a good idea.  

Thus the two biomes Norte and Sur were given to the Amazonti.  In Sur they have built a new Amazonti capital. Parts of the city were built from pieces of their original city they dragged from the swamp. This new city was called Achris, as a token to the Uritican who made it possible.  (A side note: an Imperial road was put straight to the city immediately, rather than waiting for decades like most places). A few other Amazonti towns sprang up along the Imperial road. Now there are a few small cities/ town in Norte now.  

Note: Biology
Amazonti are a human group, living in the Central region of Secondland (betweem the rest of the people and the warp swamp).  Most people list them as Earth People, which they are according to build (though their hair and eye color is more variable).  However the Amazonti female tends to be 6' to 7' in height (and be of a stocky or athletic build), while the male is 5' to 6' tall (and very thin, graceful, and delicate).

Humans claim they are a differen species, though most scholars claim they are just an odd human variation.  Either way they tend to "break" the mystic elemental classification system for humans.

Amazonti society
Amazonti society is matriarchal. The First Speaker in their democracy is normally a woman, who serves for 20 years.  She is supported by a direct decisions put to the vote of the populace.

To most players and character's minds, the gender roles are reversed.  The females, being bigger/ stronger, take on physical roles, while men take on the caring and supportive roles. Their society does embrace more variation that most of the Known World, so people with different gender persuasions/ preferences, or wish to pursue non standard jobs/ roles (for their culture) are seen as odd, but nothing more.  

This society has a greater appreciation for arts and music than most societies.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©