llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Books of True Language */  (Read 5485 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Books of True Language */
« on: December 22, 2003, 06:26:45 AM »
The True Language is the primal language of the multiverse, the language spoken by the elements of The Prime. The True Language is communication in its more prime form, encompassing voice/ thought/ image, and symbol all in one stream of thought.  It actually transends the written word. No mere mortal can speak it, as the power associated with it would simply turn them to "goo" and ash and destroy a great deal of the surrounding area.  

No mortal can speak it. Yet mortals are an inventive breed. They found a way. They write it.  

Mortals can not write it directly, as it is powerful enough that the act of reading can destroy the mind of the reader.  

If the language is based on an echo of the primal language, it can be used to write The True Language. The Scribes understand the secret of embedding True Language in a page of properly written text. The entire book must be written describing the subject place. Once read, the matrix of the true language comes to fore, making reality out of The Word.  The more that is read, the more of what is read is made real.  

The book can not change the reality it is in, as that would require the "frist book" of the given sphere/ reality.  It can however make other reality.

Upon reading several pages of a book of True Language, the reader begins to see/ feel pictures and sounds of the location described in the book, as those places are right "now".  Even if the reader stops reading, the effect will continue for a time.  If one touches the image, they will enter it... and find themselves in a sphere/ reality defined by the book.  

Smart scribes always include the presence of a book of True Language back to their book in the last few pages, that way when they enter a book of true language, they can get back to where they started from, the book of True Language.  
 Â 

The People of the Scribes have a society founded upon Books of True Language. Skertos is their native language and it is a strong echo of the primal tongue.  The Great Library in their The City holds tens of thousands of Books of True Language, in addition to regular books from everywhere in the cosmos.  They create books for places that have easy to gather resources. The Lower levels of the library are much like a train station where things are coming and going.   Many books of True Language are simply beautiful places or interesting settings. Some books of True Language even have characters in them.  

Remember, on any world they travel, there is usually a book there that will lead to the Scribe's great city.  So in some library or temple pedistal there is a seldom used book allowing travel to the People of Skertos.

Note: (If the books has interesting characters, sometimes a reader becomes a character in the story or becomes a person of that world that interacts with the characters... thus character books are carefully monitored, just in case a person gets lost in one.  )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:47:10 PM by MoonHunter »
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Pictures of True Language
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 06:33:45 AM »
The trick of true pictures was stumbled upon a Scribe of Skertos who liked to illuminate his manuscipts.  Normally illustrations and illuminated letters disrupted the pattern of the True Language. In a flash of insight, the scribe used brush stroked based upon True Language and incorporated small elements of True Language in the image.  

Thus when viewed by someone who knows it is a True Picture, the image can "come alive" allowing the person to see not the image, but what the image depicts at that moment.  These images can allow you to travel to the place or item depicted, as long as the place or item is not on the First World (The world where the Scribes of Skertos are).  Portraits of True Pictures are possible, allowing mind to mind contact and if the subject of the portrait is not in the True World, even travel.  

Most of these images are done in oils on canvas.  Others are done on cardstock in playing card.  The True Picture strengthens what ever substance it is placed upon, making it transparent to damage.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 04:05:00 PM »
WOW. Brain bumbling over trying to soundly grasp the idea. As I tend to do, I try and relate it to other things to make the idea come into focus.

I see it first off like the Neverending Story, where you get so involved in the book that the experiences of everything in it are witnessed first handed by the reader. Then it continues like that but then I see it as the Hallowdeck of Star Trek where you can enter a new world depending on the book and be immersed in it.

The problem with these books, as I understand it, is that you can be sucked right into it and never get out. Granted if a scribe is good will have another book to get you back...but...Here king is a book by BlahBlah for your enjoyment. Muahahahaha. Bye Bye king. Trapped in book.

So can physically interact with everything if we enter into the sphere/reality. From the description of the lower areas of the library it sounds as if we can take stuff out of that sphere too. Does that mean an author can create anything and be able to go in and retrieve it? or is it still just a grand illusion?

Is the True Language a style of writing or an actual new kind of written language that must be learned? So can peasant Joe that can read pick up one of these books and join Shrek in his misadventures? With tens of thousands of books I am assuming it is a style of writing that is somewhat easily mastered. And if books are that available then most kingdoms would probably have thier own collection. Heck, this is better the TV and look what kind of zombies we (in general) have turned into with it. Imagine if something like this was available?

I see it also going towards a use on armor with your second post.

Man this is a warped idea. I think it starts out too big for my taste. I would scale it down to a single item ;) I don't understand the entire concept yet but I am definately intriqued.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 03:01:05 AM »
Yes you can take something out of a book when you come back...
   However, you have to go into the book and get it.
   The item is in a "natural setting". For a raw resource, this usually requires digging, chopping, hauling.  For finished products, it means someone who made the thing must be negociated with.  
   I am sure there is an upper limit to size, probably based upon the size of the book.
   The process of mining another world would require a person to shepard each coal cart of material.  So the process, as I see it, is to bring the book down to a central "landing area", open the portal and go.  People who already traveled there give you product that you drag back to the book... and "land".  Those items are then wheeled away to appropriate places out of appropriate doors.

Arriving somewhere means you pop up were the book is.  So if there is a "expedition" to a given book/ world, I am sure that book is in a rack where there is some space for you to arrive.  

True Language is actually a form of communication mere mortals can not use (see ash/ ooze).  However, you can carefully encode the symbols/ sounds of true language in a page of the book.  The language of the book must be a language with a divine echo. Languages on our planet are said to be Sandscrit, Hebrew, English, and Enochian.  This encoding is just like a Bible code (a variety of ways to look at passages, creating a matrix of letters and numbers that spell out things). While anyone can write in a divine language, you must carefully plan out the work so the sounds representing True Language fit the matrix.  

A given world might not have a native language that is a divine echo.  

There are tens of thousands of books because there are several hundred scribes at a given time, over several centuries, and tens of copies of valuable books.  It might take several years to write a new book, but only a couple of weeks to copy it.

It is not a hard concept, once you get past the actual process.  Reading a special book allows you to travel to that sphere/ reality.  Imagine the society based upon that.

There are two well known fictional sources inspiring all of this. One is even a video game.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline nitouken

• Adept
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 09:59:57 AM »
Hehe, glad you mentioned it. :) I was going to point out that this sounds an awful lot like the D'ni, but it is an excellent idea. Kudos!
If they cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go.
                               -Mark Twain

There are no Absoluts in life, only vodka.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
It is a combination of things
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 01:34:17 AM »
The function of the library echos back to that one STOS episode and some good gate protocols they served up in Future World.  

The language and how it works was inspired by D'ni with Amber, with some references to Enochian.  (D'ni was a swipe from Amber in a way, so it all comes around).  I "explained" how it works and why, by embeding the empowered language in the mundane one.  (Reread a work on Enochian and the cover blurb of DaVinci Code).  

The fun part of this is that you can litter these works around your worlds, and your characters can cross over.  These works are great ways to change the setting of your campaign, without making everyone start over.  

I have used a variety of gate systems, blue fog (explained as the natural reaction of two spheres interfacing), D-matrixes, and other methods of ED movement in my campaigns for decades.  Even if the game does not center around ed travel, ED sources can be used for "new villians", "new threats", as well as way to revitialize a game with a "new setting".  

Some references....
(I should really get around to reading those novels.  I was aware of their existance, but never realized how many there were).  
http://www.dnidesk.com/
http://www.drcsite.org/
http://www.riven.com/Online/D'ni/DniHome

And there is so much stuff on Amber floating out on the net, you can look it up yourself.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 08:22:03 AM »
Random thoughts...

In its simplest form, it is a teleport. Yep, the classical teleport. What limits does it have? First, it is not a mass transport, only one may use it at a time. You must know how to read, not everyone knows that. More important, you must know the secret. How generous are the Scribes with it? Transporting a single individual anywhere is not too dangerous, but there are dark uses, for spies and assasins. Luckily, you must write an entire book about the subject, that takes time. And obviously not everybody can do it, you must have the skill and possibly talent.

What are the possibilities of the True Language? If it would be some kind of 'primary magical language', you could simply cast spells through writing.

As I see it, it is a kind of 'Godly Speech'. Wherever you think to be, you are. Gods and a few other powerful beings travel this way around the world(s). How much of the Language has to be used? Enough for the target location to be uniquely identified. If you describe some generic plains, nothing happens. You must describe the place as exactly as possible, and put some of your personal knowledge and emotions inside. Question is, what happens if the place the book describes becomes so different you would not recognize it anymore. Does the book become useless?

Hmmm... if it's use is limited to travelling on other worlds than your own, how did the Scribes discover all those places? If it is a high-magic setting, where you have lots of teleporting spells, devices, plane-shifts and who-knows-whats, then it is simply another way of teleporting, long to prepare but not requiring great magical power. But if it is a low-magic setting (as I favour for this idea), everyone should have a hard time to get to another world. So how can they get elsewhere? Mortals cannot create new places. Maybe, they get to know them in their dreams. Am unsure about this.

---

Conversely, this idea might be applied to a single world, with travel being possible only in it. (Or if no one knows what other worlds look like, it ends up the same way.) Particularly if it is a low-magic world, where teleporting around is very hard, or was impossible until this invention, it may change a lot.

The kingdom these Scribes reside in will most probably protect this secret, and use it for their best spies. All other kingdoms will try to get this secret as soon as they know about it. Even small units of elite soldiers can change history at an unexpected place (probably not in battle, writing a book in a day is too hard...).
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 02:15:46 PM »
Even if the locations already exist, the Scribes might believe they're creating them. After all, intelligent life seems to have a built-in conceit and egotism...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 03:49:27 AM »
Unfortunately, you can only teleport to the one spot designated when creating the book AND back to any book from that world.  More of a gate than a teleport.  

What are the possibilities of the True Language? If it would be some kind of 'primary magical language', you could simply cast spells through writing.
See Goo and Ash above.  But more seriously, it defines new realities.  It does not allow you to change your existing reality.  

Perhaps echos of this language is what allows for traditional magic.  Magikal words have True Language sounds embeded in them, much the same way the books do.  Thus why you have to study and meditate so much when dealing with magic.  

The technique to write a book, in theory is quite simple.  In practice, I could see someone taking decades to perfect this.  (Given how long it takes someone to master Enochian, and the square, this is not unreasonable. In addition, if you have looked at the various bible codes.. seems easy enoguh until you try to do it.)  So it may be something of a secret. There may not be a written text, it may require apprenticeship.  This gives the scribes a monopoly, while they might be free with the concept behind the secret (knowing they are pretty safe, as long as one of the scribes does not defect).  

If Myst (D'Ni), they say the books only open portals to the place that is closest to the world described (thus allowing for interesting complications to exist that the original author did not foresee).  In Amber, the world already existed, but it was not "real" yet, until an Amberite learned of it, thought about it, and made it so.  So as long as the amberite is careful they will get exactly what they wanted. If they are messy in their shifting, it is not.  

Here?  I like the concept that everything is equally real.  The book just acts as a bridge between your real reality and the probability that this other place is.  This also explains why you can't alter your own world with a book. (Either that, or someone else has your world's book).  

The reason for this is the book should continue to write themselves... technically, as time advanced.  If you could read the book without getting sucked, in you might even see new pages develop.

Perhaps scribes add pages to books who become difficult to link to.  Or if they note changes, perhaps they add appendix's to the original books.

Or as long as the world changes along its natural paths, it does not need additions. It is only when outsiders radically change a world that additional pages are needed.  

Or maybe it does not matter, as it created a link as the world was... AT THAT TIME.  From there, time proceeds normally.  In addition it could explain why the world is never quite what you originally described (think of it as the differences everyone has in how they see a fictional world, as they each read the same book).  

I see this world as being magic rich, rather than a high magic world.  What magic is there is potent, but there really isn't a lot of it (unless you are a scribe and that is one long ritual in making the item).   Hubris is very possible.  It depends on how you want to play or install this into your game world.  They could be a humble people, knowing that they were blessed with a divine language, that they were a favored people by the diety (and could be unblessed just as easily).  They could be total arrogant fools, pillaging all these "echos" because only their reality is real and these other places just imaginary.  Perhaps they are secretive and cautious, as other people could just as easily link to their world. There may be a variety of opinions on the realness and uses of these worlds, so the issue might be muddled.  

I would believe that scholars have a tendancy to be polite and tend to overthink issues. If they delve into philosophy too much, they could easily have an intricate ethical code about what is and is not acceptable in a true book (though not what is possible...).  Insert as you see fit for your campaign.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Plots
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 11:11:32 AM »
It was just a book....

http://www.strolen.com/plots/viewplot.php?plot_id=272&index=2

The original book is a true book. The book the three are carrying is a special book, it leads to a true world. It is extremely important to the scholars of Skotos. All of these people will talk to the players like they already know what is going on and know the basics of books of true langauge. The players will have no idea about the significance of any of this.

There are many branching options in this scenario.

These books are useful tools for campaigns. They litterally can be dropped into any campaign. Someone writes an illegal book (or a book for personal purposes). Then somewhere, the return book appears. The Scribes of Skotos could become trading partners, interested visiting scholars, or invading armies.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Books of True Language
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 11:06:23 AM »
The Sir Francis Bacon Code is another way to cypher the True Language. It is performed by using two similar fonts, one being A, one being B. The cypher either uses the first letter of each word or every letter of each word. The order is written down in groups of five. The order determining the True Character of the Message (AAAAB = A, AAABA = B, AAABB = C, and so on to use the English example).

To use this with the True Language, you would have to memorize the pattern of the letters. After it has become properly imprinted in your mind, your mind would be unconsciously translating it... unleashing the power of the true language in your mind... and into reality.

I admit. I am bringing this one up to see what your ideas and responses are to it. I know what I have done with it, but what do you see as its uses?

So what would you do with this in your campaigns?

Do you have any comments?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Re: Books of True Language */
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Bueller, Bueller......   Anyone?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 04:50:01 PM »
Having looked at the Bacon Code, I'm impressed with the ingenuity of it, but the main problem with learning such a code would be that you'd have to learn the code-words and their effects, not the original words the code-words represent. This would then mean that you need to make sure you don't mistranslate (which, studying Latin, I know is a very hard thing not to do), and going back to the original outline, how would this magical language develop? After all, humans can't speak the words and can't directly read the words, because to do so would eliminate them with extreme prejudice. How then would they know all of the backstory behind the magic? If all they know is that ABBAA = fireball, then wouldn't the code itself just become the magical language, replacing the True Language in everything but ultimate GM truth? If the GM and the Players themselves are the only ones to know something, doesn't that reduce it to uselessness for story purposes?
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 05:08:52 PM »
The whole point of these "codes" is to help create mental "distance" between your fragile mortal mind and The True Language. 

Thus having to go through the filter of the patterned code, to be a letter, to make up part of the world (and possibly mispelled at that),  to avoid goo and ash in not impiossible.   

The code itself is just an example on how to embed additional information in a page of printed text.

I do like the idea that the calligraphy gives a hint of the shape of a letter of the True Language. 

However it is done... it is all about mentally distancing yourself.   
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 06:35:17 PM »
I should finish this some day

Society - Scribes of Skotos - The scribes in charges of the books.
System - Books of True Language
Location - An Example Arrival/Arena/Library

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©