llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tell Me About Your Writing Station  (Read 1026 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Tell Me About Your Writing Station
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Tell me a little about your writing station, simple enough.

For me, it's a laptop, sitting on the sofa, typically with a cat over my shoulder (I have 4 cats, they take turns)

I like ambient background noise, and for that my typical go to is www.coffitivity.com/. It's generic and it's free. Alternately I have Sirius XM satellite Radio through my cable TV provider and will listen to Octane (new hard rock) Lithium (90s, Alt, and Grunge) or if I'm feeling distracted, XMU Coffeehouse (crappy acoustic versions of popular songs, you must be listening to Coffeehouse!)

I also have a google window open to a stop watch, which helps me keep my focus, I can better pay attention to when I go off task, looking for some information on Wikipedia, or doing reference research, or just looking at boobs and cat pictures.

I also have one of those wax scent diffusers with the light bulb in it (see 4 cats comment) and currently I am running honeysuckle and lemon citrus wax in it.

Morning writing sessions have coffee, evening writing sessions have beer, and I alternate between PBR and craft brew (you can't really appreciate steak if you don't eat some bologna from time to time)

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: Tell Me About Your Writing Station
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:09:11 AM »
For me it is in my office, which is a place my wife has decorated, but in which I have introduced boyish manly props, to try to make the setting my own.

I am somewhat of a scatterbrain, so I will jump from this interest to that while trying to write. I will read the news, then watch some horror prank youtube clips, then I will get caught up in my Twitter stream, and try to catch up with what interests me in this world.

Then I will write some words, lose focus and wind up at Instagram, looking at all the nice pictures that people deem fit to upload. (I have to confess, their threshold of uploading pics is lower than mine).

By now I realize that I have to produce something, so I turn on classical and/or theatrical movie music for fantasy or sci-fi films. Then I start a typing, and I type and type for an hour or three. Then I get caught up in an interesting turn of events, and I -need- to make it grand, so I lock my workstation and leave my desk.

I go for a walk, for an hour or two, and I think about what I should write.

Then I return to the workstation with whatever ideas I got, and I write them down.

Note:
I used to be better at this process, and ten years ago my field trips would include me, whispering and cursing, preparing for my roleplaying session with high pitched shrieks and low grumbles.

Yes, I got a few odd stares back then... but it was fun.

Oh, and my preferred workstation is a 2 year old gamer PC. It has the most comfy setup, but I also have numerous laptops I could utilize. Currently my Asus Gamer's Republic laptop is my laptop of choice, except for watching movies, in which case I use a smaller Lenovo Yoga 2 Ideapad. Earlier I used a 13" Airbook, but it seems dated now.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »
I write like I code but I code much more often but it is mostly the same.

I always need noise. Mixings and Mashups when I code but often just have http://rain.simplynoise.com/ with some thunder and such in the background. I love the rain, it makes me pretend that I am stuck inside.

I am a huge fan of Scrivener and have notes out the gazoo that I really need to sit down and really flesh out.

I usually have a hot earl grey in the winter (but like to change flavors a lot but if it is good enough for Picard, it is good enough for me) and iced earl grey in the summer. Need my caffeine fix for sure. Some nice ambient LEDs give me my mood lighting glowing through my glass computer desk and I am set. I have various inspirational pictures and quotes (Cult of Done) and some print outs by the Citadel artists that keep me motivated.

New house, there will be new digs. Still deciding which room to put the desks in. The front room that I guess is used as a formal dining room (we don't do formal dining so eat off the kitchen) or the room with the fireplace. Probably the latter but it allows for more distractions...but will be much more comfortable. Time will tell.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
I write like I code but I code much more often but it is mostly the same.

I always need noise. Mixings and Mashups when I code but often just have http://rain.simplynoise.com/ with some thunder and such in the background. I love the rain, it makes me pretend that I am stuck inside.

I am a huge fan of Scrivener and have notes out the gazoo that I really need to sit down and really flesh out.

I usually have a hot earl grey in the winter (but like to change flavors a lot but if it is good enough for Picard, it is good enough for me) and iced earl grey in the summer. Need my caffeine fix for sure. Some nice ambient LEDs give me my mood lighting glowing through my glass computer desk and I am set. I have various inspirational pictures and quotes (Cult of Done) and some print outs by the Citadel artists that keep me motivated.

New house, there will be new digs. Still deciding which room to put the desks in. The front room that I guess is used as a formal dining room (we don't do formal dining so eat off the kitchen) or the room with the fireplace. Probably the latter but it allows for more distractions...but will be much more comfortable. Time will tell.

Checking out simply rain now, I kinda dig the vibe it puts out. I might have to investigate some of that moon lighting too.

Cult of Done is awesome, and has helped me get a lot of stuff done

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Questor 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
It never occurred to me to have one dedicated space for writing. I have a few of them, I guess. I think I just start to nest wherever I find myself, making space for writing wherever I happen to land.
  • Home: Small, folding table pushed next to the bed with a Chromebook on it and a random assortment of items: notepad with shorthand scribbles, headphones, pencil, etc.
  • Office #1: Workstation and 4 monitors in a grid pattern with a smattering of windows spread about. Multitasking is a must here, and when I do write, it's usually during a break or while on my lunch, and it can be interrupted at any time. Being behind locked doors and a ways away from all other workspaces, I am rarely interrupted in person (though phone calls and emails still get through) and am also able to blast music to my heart's content.
  • Office #2: Small, sparsely furnished, with no internet connection (outside of my phone). 15" monitor with an Atom-powered "netbox" and Linux. Not much I can do with that box other than write. This is my "no interruptions place" in a building that tends to be pretty quiet, but I also don't seem to be there often enough.
  • Outdoors: Picnic bench off in a deserted corner wherever I can find it. Just need my notepad and a pencil. The better and more natural my shorthand gets, the more I expect to do this kind of writing.
Loud music is usually a must when I write. If I can't blast it, I put on a set of headphones. There's something about the right kind of noise that juices up my brain and gets me going. I also rarely write for more than an hour at a time, so each of the above spaces also doubles as some other kind of area.

Not sure why, but I usually get the munchies when I write (or code). Lately, I've been keeping an assortment of fruit around, which seems to do the trick much better because I don't get the sudden spikes and drops of sugar that crap food gives me.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.