llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Paper Shrine of Laymeret and the Lake of Rage  (Read 2023 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline FASTFIRE

• Nomad
    • Awards
The Paper Shrine of Laymeret and the Lake of Rage
« on: December 17, 2003, 03:41:30 AM »
Hi, you guys got any ideas fleshing these out and posting them so they can be used for more then just AD&D games (Thats the only game I'v played so far so that the only game I know. Sad, is it not!). Also, where would I post these. I'm thinking in "Ideas", but I like for others to vote on them. Hope you can help and thanks

The Paper Shrine of Laymeret
Location:   The town of Laymeret, on the south-eastern coast of Kingdom Name

Location Type:    Large Town

Environment Type: Coastal

Description:   This large shrine the god Sunglory, is not famous for religious reasons as for architectural reasons. The shrine is made from white marble with black marble used for detail, and the columns covered in highly polished gold and sliver. The architectural nature of the shrine is ordered yet free flowing and seems to be almost eleven in nature. The numerous arched and vaulted roofs, ceilings, and windows are made from ½ inch thick layer of white marble that is semi-transparent. Further more, the marble has all been acid-etched to give it a paper-like appearance and feel. On sunny or even overcast days, natural light comes thru the roof and ceiling.

Location History:   The “Paper Shrine of Laymeretâ€? was built in the year 9674*1363 to replace a shrine that had burned down in a city wide fire that destroyed 2/3 of the city twelve years earlier. This being the “time of great shrineâ€?, a time comparable to earth’s cathedral craze of the middle ages or  even earth’s skyscraper boom of the early 20th century and the city losing it city center in the fire and thus it’s reputation (In till the fire, Laymeret was famous of it’s huge market place).  

Magical Effect:    No, although magic was used in its initial construction, the “Paper Shrine of Laymeretâ€? is not inherently magical itself. However, the local towns people will use any means necessary to protect it including the use of magic. Due to the nature of the construction, the roofs and ceilings are quite fragile and will shatter like glass when hit for more then 12 points of damage, and has an AC of 1. Falling shards will do 1d8 on each hit. The city has a law that forbids the carrying of missile weapons on the grounds of the “paper shrineâ€?, doing so will land someone with a week of jail time and a large fine (500+GP). To willing attack the shrine with a missile weapon  carries the sentence of losing ones own life hand, but no one has tried as of yet.  

Lake of Rage

Location Type:    Lake

Environment Type: Northern Temperate

Description:   The lake of rage is set high into the south eastern foothills of Mt Ardel. The lakes appearance of a small pristine C-shaped lake with no apparent water source (rain feed). Strangely, only plant life can be found living in and around the lake itself. There About ten miles from the lake, there is a three foot stone border that in encircles the whole lake. This stone border carved with an unreadable script and every forty feet there rises a pillar with a 9x9 foot base and if unbroken, all forty towers thirty feet tall and is 1x1 with a 3x3 foot top stone.

Location History:   Up in till three hundred years ago, the infamous lake of rage was  a sacred grove to a group of elfin druids call “nameâ€?. All was well till a small theological debate blew up and all but three of the druids preceded it kill each other off (most of them drown each other in the lake itself). The lake is now considered to be a cursed grove by all local druids and a gate to the nine hells by all other.

Magical Effect:    Those who come in contact with the water must save vs. spell or go in to a violent rage and will attack the closest target (friend or foe) in till the lake water is washed and or dries off + 2d6 rounds. If drank, save vs. spell at -2 or alignment permanently changes to chaotic evil till “remove curseâ€? then a “Restorationâ€? is use. The lake water can be made save to use by removing then casting of a “blessâ€? spell on the water that one want to make safe (1 8oz cup per level), or leaving a holy symbol in it for 1d4 turns. To cleanse and sanctified the lake, a druid of good alignment must destroy all water that is in the lake then let the rain fill it naturally (No Magic Help or outside water allowed)!!!

Offline kalabar

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 06:09:40 AM »
Thumbs up that was great *applause
-If you want me to think outside the box, then can you please open the box and let me out-

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 07:57:13 AM »
There's just one problem:
We aren't an AD&D site. We're non-system.
But we welcome your input anyway.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Ignore them... we often do...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 01:08:42 AM »
CP.. do you have a "hot key" with that response?  Chill. A little system is allowable and most people can translate. You might frighten away one of the best of the new crop. (No slight to the other members...)

The Paper Shrine of Laymeret
I love this small piece of "chrome".  Chrome being those small odd bits that are littered around a game environment that embelish it and make it more real seeming.  You not only gave the environment, in good detail, but included little gems of back history to explain why it came to be and odd laws related to the piece of chrome.  In short a nice, concise, piece of description.  

The game mechanics are unneccisary, you can just explain in story terms, what is going on. It is your first post... so ....

This could be a good "setting" entry off the first page.

Now what sort of advice do you need on this?  How to expand the world? Ideas on other temples? Things that might of grown up around this?

Lake of Rage
Pretty much what I said in the first part.  It is clear and well defined.  The effect seems in line with the cause. It is clear and "realistic" (or should I say consistant.

If this was a D20 site, the magikal effects game mechanics would of been spot on. For us... use story mechanics with a few generic dice.  The mechanics you listed seem to have game balance and realistic responses, so silver star for those.  Converting them to story responses, would work well.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline FASTFIRE

• Nomad
    • Awards
Thanks, I do what you said to do
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 02:33:12 AM »
I'll do what you said to do to it. :D

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 02:38:56 AM »
I will agree with Moonhunter on most everything. These would fit perfectly as they are right now into the settings on the main site.

Replace the stats, like Moon says, and describe the effects in story terms and that would be great.

Hope to see more of your ideas!!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.