Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

D&D Alignements and Cruel Gods

<< < (6/7) > >>

MysticMoon:
A lot of the systems I've looked at treat it quite differently. Rather than have alignments which all characters must select, any strong moral/immoral stance which affects how the character is played is chosen as some kind of disadvantage/trait/weakness. This might provide extra feats/advantages/positive traits/experience points in order to offset greater power with restrictions. I am much more a fan of this approach.

For example, a Cavalier might take a disadvantage of "code of honor" which prevents him from doing things like attacking unarmed opponents. This gives him a few extra points which he can put into combat skills, horsemanship, etc.

Gossamer:

--- Quote from: MysticMoon on March 20, 2013, 08:35:16 AM ---A lot of the systems I've looked at treat it quite differently. Rather than have alignments which all characters must select, any strong moral/immoral stance which affects how the character is played is chosen as some kind of disadvantage/trait/weakness. This might provide extra feats/advantages/positive traits/experience points in order to offset greater power with restrictions. I am much more a fan of this approach.

For example, a Cavalier might take a disadvantage of "code of honor" which prevents him from doing things like attacking unarmed opponents. This gives him a few extra points which he can put into combat skills, horsemanship, etc.

--- End quote ---

You're thinking about GURPS?
By the way, what does IIRC stand for?

MysticMoon:
GURPS is one such system but there are many others. Savage Worlds, Cortex, D6 variants, to name a few.

IIRC - if I recall correctly.

Gossamer:
Here it is, my first post. That somewhat pertains to this discussion, regarding empathy. Or how you want to look at it...
http://strolen.com/viewing/But_theyre_only_minions

young0ne2:
One of the ways that "We" have tried to aleave this issue of Alignment in my games has come down to the DM choosing it for you, in the sense that the DM would put every at Neutral ( unless a class, such as paladin, said other wise) and then we would make the players Write a back story about their lives to date in the game. The DM would then adjust the alignment as they saw fit for your character.

THEN as we played, at the end of each game session the DM would look at your actions and intentions that you showed during the game and adjust your alignment accordingly ~OR~ give a tally mark in a direction of an alignment.
~~~> Example: if you were a "NG" person and in the game you killed a few animals for entertainment, nothing else, just because you were bored, you might get a mark in Neutral, if that character tourchered said animals in the process, a mark in Evil.
Then once you got so many marks in one area ( like 5-10) your alignment would shift accordingly.

It's a nice way to make your players really think about their actions and the bigger picture. If you have a PC who's dream is to join The Order of Insert-every-day-good-god-here and they failed the test because their actions didnt reflect what the church looked for in their members, it would not only give the DM some more Storyline stuff, but it also gives the PC some drive to achieve their goal.

We did this once before in a small, 3 person game, and it worked pritty well. Not saying this is for everyone, or that your PC's are going to like it, their was one time we had some one about have a B#$% Fit because they felt they met the requirement to join an organisation ( in this case, a perstige class of some church) and the DM had to recall all the actions, good and bad, that worked for and against the PC.
It worked out in the end, but its a bit more work on the DM's part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version