llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: hello - help with my Campaign Design Questionnaire?  (Read 1924 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Erebus

• Journeyman
    • http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/terrestia/
    • Awards
hello - help with my Campaign Design Questionnaire?
« on: December 03, 2003, 05:03:12 PM »
Greetings - I'm new to the forums here and have thus far been impressed with a lot of the material I've seen here in the various ideas sections.

I was wondering whether you could help me flesh out some questions I want to ask myself when creating a new campaign setting.

Here is the theory:

1. I don't like to keep using the same elves, dwarves etc ecology in campaign settings as my PC's are so familiar with that it doesn't hold much wonder for them.

2. At the end of a campaign I wish I'd known everything about the world I now know at the start!

3. I find a lot of info in published campaign settings to be redundant and of little practical use in game play.

Anyway - it's far from perfect but here are the questions I have drafted for consideration in designing a campaign setting.   I welcome ideas on other questions that ought to be considered.  Thanks.

What are the three core species of the World?  (suggest chose untypical races - preferably from independant publishers such as Sword and Sorcery)

What geographical features support/compliment the dominance of these species?

Who are the major factions within the PC’s species?

What apparent threats exist as part of the natural environment?

What apparent threats exist as a result of sentient activity?

What secret threats exist?

What possibilities exist for unique exploration – between worlds?  in astral form?  after death?

Do God's exist?  How involved are they in mortal affairs.

~ I welcome other ideas for questions - thanks, Erebus.
Blood Make Us One!

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 12:44:47 AM »
This is a good topic and one you seem to have fairly well in hand. I also applaud you for being able to spell sentient correctly, I use spell check and still take about 5 minutes.

Maybe instead of flesh it out, you could post this in the Articles/ Essays thread? I'm sure others here have a similar kind of questionare they go through as they create new worlds. *nudges Moonhunter*

I can't think of anything constructive to add to your list and look forward to seeing your other thoughts.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
I will generate a listing.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 03:35:25 AM »
Some tips on how to better build a world...

http://www.openroleplaying.org/tools/tips/search.cgi?t=A+ruler+and+some+tape

http://www.openroleplaying.org/tools/tips/search.cgi?t=the+march

Other tips can get achieved at http://www.silven.com 's ezine and soon at gamecraft.rpgcitadel.com

I can not find my list on the net, so in the next few days I will pull up a list of things to consider when making a world.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Erebus

• Journeyman
    • http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/terrestia/
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 08:25:22 AM »
Thanks for your supportive comments - I'm hoping that by starting with lead races - which will be chosen for their interesting ecology - that many other ideas and themes will arise and - hopefully - fall into place!
Blood Make Us One!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 05:47:27 AM »
Stumbled across this in one of Moonhunter's lists.

http://www.io.com/~eighner/world_builder/world_builder_index.html

Asks some good questions to force some answers about your world. I know I found a text document full of this stuff but haven't stumbled across it yet.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 05:53:04 AM »
Ah ha, just never spent the time searching for it.

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm

Great list of questions and thoughts for you while you build up your world.

I compiled the thing and printed it and have highlighting all over it. Now just need to sit down and use it ;)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Shameless Bump
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 07:19:48 AM »
Now that we have split off the "I don't want to change Elves/Dwarves and Common Sucks thread", I felt I should bump this thread so it can get back on topic.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
I thought I had posted this...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 04:00:12 AM »
The important things to consider when creating a game environment are: Terrain and Weather, Flora/Fauna, Resources, Races and People, Cultural Overview, Calendar and Holidays, Standards of weights and measures, Institutions (Religions, Governments, Guilds, Large Businesses), Laws and Morals, Family life, Social Classes, Political, Economics, Religion, Technology, Transportation, Arts/ Literature, Shadow (Criminals and those in the shadows of society), Power (Magik, psionics, etc), Paranormal (beasties, monsters, etc), History of the area, and Rule Modifications to accommodate the game environment.  

Each game environment be it a continent, country, city, temple, village, or dungeon/ place of adventure, needs these areas addressed.  

Any "sub area", a smaller region in the larger one, needs to keep the larger area's answers in mind.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©