Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

Help wanted on eastern flavored part of the world

(1/3) > >>

Ylorea:
I am in the process of setting up a new part of my world and I know that I lack some knowledge, but I think that some people here might be very good at providing some extra information...

In total I have seventeen clans and I would like to have "eastern" sounding names for the different clans. In general I am going to use the already available english names, but for the sake of being complete, I would like to find the eastern names as well.

The elves have seven clans named after their totem animal:
Bear, Dolphin, Dragon, Eagle, Parrot, Unicorn and Wolf

The dwarves boast five clans named after the elements of magic:
Air, Earth, Fire, Void, Water

The humans have been divided into five clans named after crystals:
Amethyst, Corundum, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire

(Especialy among humans there are a lot of minor clans, which are also called after minerals, but typicaly after minerals that are less and less expensive. No clan however shall be called after the sacred jade.)
Any help would be appreciated. Oh yes, I was realy looking for japanese names, but if you can provide me with "translations" to korean or Mandarin, I would be most gratefull as well.
Yours,

Ylorea

manfred:
Not sure if this helps, but try http://www.20000-names.com/. There are Chinese and Japanese names, with their meanings. Other than that, try some web translator.

CaptainPenguin:
You are aware that Rubies, Emeralds, and Sapphires are all just various types of Corundrums, right?

Ylorea:
ehhhh nope ?!? Actualy I started out with the dutch names and the stone I was thinking about is called a toermalijn in dutch. I already was not to sure about the Corundrum translation, as it seemed to be the translation for a family of precious stones....

Hmpwh... Back to the drawing board...

@ manfred: I tried a couple of webtranslators, but they translate into chinese or japanese characters. What I am looking for is the kind of translation:

Dwarf = Korobokuru
I have not been able to find a thing like that on the web...

Yours, Ylorea

MoonHunter:
If you find that kind of translator on the web (or one for Arabic) post it up here. I have been looking for one on and off for two years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version