llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Zackhar the Jaded Shaman  (Read 138 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Rizaleous

• Apprentice
  • Skittering from the Shadows
    • Awards
Zackhar the Jaded Shaman
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
Hey Folks,

As a DM in the games i run i occasionally roll up characters for the players to interact with, and to satisfy my secret desire to participate in my own games. Grated the characters i play are not meta'd at all, i usually use them as just random passerbys, story hooks or just unique fluff encounters that help the players to solve the story as a whole.

My latest creature is an Oread Shaman named Zackhar who i modeled the personality of after Grigori Rasputin. More precisely the rumors of rasputin having made a pact with the devil which is why he was so impossibly difficult to kill. Zackhar is an Oread Shaman who's primary spirit is the shadow spirit which has given him a scorpion as a spirit animal which is then rendered ethereal so nobody else (minus those with the skill which allows ethereal sight) can see it. It's also sentient so it's constantly commenting on the surroundings of zackhar, in the form of whispers in his ears. I also took the liberty of loading Zackhar out to basically be the master of poisoning anyone who throws a wayward glance his way, and some mild necromancy powers to boot.

Zackhar is not traveling alone however. Another character i created is a Gippli (read sentient frog person) who is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a frog prince and all he needs is one kiss from a beautiful  and fair princess to transform back to his normal state of being a human. He is also convinced that he is the only sentient frog in the world. Unfortunately for him, he's about as charismatic as the dark god Nurgle. This being the case, the gippli "prince" has also conceeded that perhaps a kiss from 1000 ladies of the night might work equally as well as the one kiss from a beautiful and fair maiden... He's at 39 on the ladies of the night. One day, as the gippli was traveling about his merry way, he saw Zackhar in a life threatening situation to which he literally jumped straight into action and rescued Zackhar. Since then, Zackhar has been trying to protect the naive fool from getting himself killed while he tries to travel across the land and kiss 1000 ladies of the night. Zackhar is 100% knowledgable that there is an entire race of Gipplis and refuses to tell the "prince".

The "prince" has continued to demonstrate his low charisma over the months of traveling with Zackhar by expressing his firm belief that anyone who is not a swordfighter by trade is lowly squalor and must be viewed upon with pity. This has agitated Zackhar quite a bit and caused him to try and poison the "prince" nightly with frog poison to try and kill him, unbeknownst to him, the frog poison has no affect on the "prince" because he's a frog.

Cutting to the chase before i write a novel, i'm looking for ways to add more depth to Zackhar. make him more interesting. He refuses to speak to anyone unless they insult him in any way in which he says horribly morbid things in russian to them. the Gippli is convinced he's the nicest guy in the world. Anything you guys could suggest to make him more entertaining to be around when he comes into the game would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks  :bow:

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Zackhar the Jaded Shaman
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
Allow the spirit animal to spy on the PCs and then whisper "nonsensical" things in Zackhar's ear in which he may mumble aloud within earshot of the characters. These nonsensical things either deepen the mystery the PCs are dealing with, allude to something in their future that they realize Zachhar has predicted or maybe the spirit animal wants to help these PCs for some selfish reason and bugs the hell out of Zackhar till he gruffly gives the PCs something they need (directions, an item, a contact's name) and then tells them to leave him alone. Just odd, off the wall comments. Then when the PCs beseech him for more he gets more and more pissed at them. PCs have no idea why he is helpful but then pissed when they acknowledge it.

Trying to figure out the Gippli relationship in it. I see Gippli as the kind of nice old woman (i know it is "male") but provides a "Zackhar, now don't be so rude" type thing. The Good Cop to his Bad Cop. If Zackhar refuses any compensation or thanks, Gippli always implies a drink would be welcome and leads them to a House of Ill Repute and tries to score another kiss. The PCs can usually find them again if they need to in one of those houses. Zackhar is so crabby and unhappy that maybe he doesn't care where he goes, it is all crap. Perhaps he becomes an unwilling protector of some of the Houses too. Through Gippli's interactions with the women, missteps with other clients and Zackhar's grumpyness that it is easier to sve Gipplie, protect the women and satisfy the sentient voice in his ear than to refuse.

Zackhar needs some motivation though that matches with Gippli I think. Why are they traveling? What purpose binds them. Zachar might be after revenge from a womanizer of some type (just happens to be a womanizer, not the reason he is after him) which allows him to not like ruffians, would have a little interest in protecting the girls and a reason for them to travel together.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts. Sound fun!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • Get off my lawn!!!
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:24 AM »
The pair sounds fascinating, and as I read through their story I kept coming back to Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza as Zackhar and the Prince, with his spirit scorpion shooting off the one liners and jokes, with Zackhar picking up the punchlines, or doing the breaking the fourth wall bits. I enjoy both what you've written, and cracked up putting Costanza in a frog suit and making him the Prince

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Rizaleous

• Apprentice
  • Skittering from the Shadows
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
Awesome ideas! Thanks for the responses. These characters were definitely entertaining to develop and i'll definitely consider some of the comments here when developing them further. Very fun quirks to be sure.