Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

questions about P&P RPG game play

(1/3) > >>

tarock ashar:
Ok.  I have some questions

First off
So far with the rpgs I have played (that being D&D) I have used a board and little peices to play.  The Game play seems to revolve around playing on the board.

But I have been thinking of other ways to play without a board.  I was thinking of trying a more Zork TExt Adventure type of map.  
for those who are not familiar with text adventures basicly you have a bunch of squares connected by lines.  Up is north, down is south, left is west and right is east.  Each square have a name.

I was thinking of playing like this.  With the DM describing each square when the player enters the room and having Feet or Meters as the base measurement used for interacting in the stuff in the room. Fett or meters basically take over the squares found on the board.

So the DM has a complete map and as the player's play he draws the square with a name and describes it and puts lines going out to other places they can go.  As the players explore they connect all the lines with squares.  

this will make the most sence to people who have played zork and/or text adventures.  

I have more questions on P&P game play (I think the nexts ones are mor theoretical game play rules)

But I am tired and gonna go to bed now.
Night all.

Ria Hawk:
Actually, I think that what you described is fairly close to a regular tabletop/p&p game.  I know that when I play realside, the gm has a map, but the players never see one, nor do they need to.  I suppose it depends on what level of description you like, and what your players want.

manfred:

--- Quote from: "tarock ashar" ---I was thinking of playing like this.  With the DM describing each square when the player enters the room and having Feet or Meters as the base measurement used for interacting in the stuff in the room. Feet or meters basically take over the squares found on the board.

--- End quote ---

Like Ria said, it all depends on the level of detail you want at the given moment. Most of the time, you even don't need to tell the actual size of the rooms (very few eyes are that good... ), unless they measure it. Of course, intense combat may need a map, at least for the location.

Yes. The game play does not revolve around the board. It is in your mind and the players' minds. Use whatever you and your players are comfortible with.

CaptainPenguin:
Uuh....I've never played an RPG with pieces and a board, except for Warhammer.

MoonHunter:
For CP: Change the words Board for Battle Mat/map and Pieces for Miniatures, and I think you might of done it.  

I play in narration, using no maps/ markers until I have a tactical situation that movement/ initiative/ speed/ and exact actions must be measured.  

If I am running a tomb raiding or infiltration, my personal maps are little boxes connected by lines, with no real measurements.  I know about how big they boxes are by the descriptions/ flavor text (See CueCards and Riffing) and draw the map up as I need it. They are designed in much the same way as Zork text maps and rooms are done.  

Most of my players do not need a map and markers to visualize the situation.  When we do need one, we draw out a crude one and mark the locations inthe room and use dice to show where the mobile people/ things are.  

My players also trust me.  They know I will not screw them over with positioning and space, because normally we do not keep track of exact positioning and space.  If you are going to run a game without a map or battleboard, you need to de-emphasize the "playing field" aspect of the game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version