llamaenterhear

Author Topic: [Interest Thread] - Forum RP.  (Read 294817 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
  • Does God hide in the heavens fearing his creation?
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
[Interest Thread] - Forum RP.
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
Good afternoon all!

It's been a while since I've been here but on coming back a few months ago I've rediscovered my itch to RP and it needs to be scratched!

I spoke with EchoMirage about possibly getting something going and I believe he is up for it, provided we can gather a couple more people.

System is as yet to be decided. This is merely a placeholder until we can get a group together and then go from there.

So, on this loosest and blandest of interest threads, who's up for a delve into the uncertain?

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild
    • Awards
Re: [Interest Thread] - Forum RP.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
I'm always game. :)

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:55:26 AM »
Game is good!

What would you want to play? Anything in particular? The earlier I can start plotting the better :)

Any other takers?

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
Well, I've just been musing today that I wouldn't mind some neat dieselpunk. Post-WW1 empires vying for influence in various parts of the world before the inevitable next conflict; player characters are capable agents of such a power. The drama comes from plots and intrigue, action, and exploration. Get your Mauser ready!
Could be Earth, a parallel Earth, or not-Earth. I'd prefer one of the latter two, as the future events in both cases are not fixed.
Fantastical elements are not necessary, but possible (i.e. Germanic occultism, Ark of the Covenant, what have you).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:55:14 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »
That does sound pretty sweet! Not something I'd ever have tried otherwise so why not delve into something new?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »
The valadaar has not spoken yet, and who'd be the third?
Also, would the Kassy be GMing?
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
We need a cunning plan to rope in another of the regular lurkers!

I don't mind being the GM, though I will admit to being a touch intimidated by the detail and descriptive ability of the rest of you in comparison! That said; without practice I will never improve! :)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
I'm good with pretty much anything, though I distinctly lack the cycles to GM.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 05:57:59 AM »
Scras said he's in. So, we need to decide what to run :)
> Setting
> Tone and contrast
> Key themes we'd like to see, and styles of adventure we'd like to experience
> Character concepts and their ties & common history
> A system that supports the above

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
I'm down to play whatever
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
That makes 3 players, plus GM.

I am happy to play anything and with EM and val (I think?) mentioning they might be up for a Hollen's Prize continuation/reboot, in addition to Scras' amazing Cosmic Era submissions; I'm inclined to make it Sci-Fi. Not going to lie, I'm massively intrigued by the CE setting but my God is it so vast I would struggle to do it justice. That's not to say that I don't plan on experimenting heavily with some of it, if we decide to go with SF.

Rulesystem to be used: *shrug* I only have access to Shadowrun 5th ed core rulebook in hardback and lost my other systems that I'd downloaded digitally (grrr). If anyone knows of a basic system that would lend itself well to forum pbp games then please let me know here so I can check it out.

In addition I'd prefer to run this 'rules-lite', in order to focus on the storytelling and keep things flowing.

While these don't answer most of EM's points it at least gives more of an idea of what I'd like to achieve.

What do you guys think? What are you in the mood to try?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
As for system, we could go very light with some minimalist version of D6 or WoD.
> WoD: you roll a number of D10s equal to attribute+skill, each 8+ is a success, each 10 can be rolled again. The GM states the number of successes needed to pass. With attacks, successes simply equal damage.
> D6: you roll a number of D6s equal to attribute+skill, and the sum has to meet a target number set by the GM.
Both systems don't require a lot of hence and forth to determine success (e.g., the defense values are static).

I do have a neat semi-homebrew for sci-fi, but that requires back and forth for resolution, and would not be viable in the forum, but rather only via Discord or similar.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:38:48 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
As for story, I want to pitch the following:
"Star Trek Voyager, but with more realism, and done right" - a space ship encountering amazing sci fi adventures on its way home. Resources are tight, there's a persistent crew, but it's still in episodes (which makes it easier for players and the GM). The setting, as it's by definition unknown, gets created piece by piece. The only part of the setting that needs to exist in advance is our distant home.

What do you think?

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
I've used D6 before when playing the Star Wars RPG, that was pretty simple iirc.

Confession: I have not seen any Star Trek, ever. I'm sorry Echo!

I do like the idea of a Ship on return from a voyage/exploration mission. Possibly to report it's findings. On the way back various encounters occur, some of significance, others as fun/filler etc. I think I have a few ideas for hooks, mustn't spoil them here though! :P

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
It's not necessary to have seen Star Trek Voyager, and, given that the excellent premise was poorly executed, it's perhaps better if you did not :D

Basically: A ship of the Federation finds itself very far from home after it's handwaved to the other end of the galaxy, and the crew find they will have to be very ingenious if they want to make it home. Their resources will be stretched thin. The safety net of the Federation is absent, and danger abounds. And their ideals will be challenged - can you hold on to your moral high ground in this barbaric part of space? And can you make the trip actually into something of value, via discoveries, alliances, relationships, and personal growth?

Also, I'd vote for fancier uniforms than Star Trek pajamas.

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
That sounds pretty neat. Not neat enough for me to want to dedicate the time to watching it, but neat enough to do something similar ourselves.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
Really, don't watch Voyager, IMHO it's a huge disappointment with a good premise.

As for Scras' notion on describing a seasoned spacer:
Like the first thought that comes to mind is to have everyone introduce their character by describing the last time they experienced hard vacuum. This could either be like an interview process to be approved for a specific mission, or maybe even a support group for spacers. Was is a minor issue, where the hull had a rupture and the air escaped but you were largely shielded, was there a major rupture and the character tumbled through space for 30 seconds while fighting to get their helmet on, space suit failure. Did you know that space smells like burning meat and sounds like screaming from hell? (yeah its probably smelling the olfactory nerves themselves cooking, and god knows what hard vacuum does to the eardrum)

And I would roll from there, with experienced, seasoned characters

The description certainly hinges on the setting we would use - are there playable alien species and transhumans or posthumans? They'd experience hard vacuum differently. Or do we stick with baseline humans?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 06:25:07 AM »
So, it's up to Scras to decide! :)

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:03 PM »
I'm thinking light transhuman, cybernetics and light genetic mods (like max 10-25% mod). I might allow one person to play a full robot or synth, but this would be at my discretion. I want the majority of players to be human
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 12:47:01 PM »
Ok, Scras has spoken, he's the GM.
I'll come with a hard vacuum story soon. Where do I post it?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
"What's my first experience of exposure to hard vacuum? Curious that you would ask me that - don't Fed marines have cameras on their cute blue shells? Those that provide the footage for those adorable compilations the 'core uses in their recruitment vids? One of them had to have recorded me when they spaced me. Regardless..."
He stood up, and, as if it was his own office, unerringly found the bar, poured himself a little rum, more to smell than to drink. Cradling the glass in his palm, he sat down next to the flabbergasted agent and poured her a little as well.
"The first thing it reminds you of is how much you wish to live. If you ever felt listless, depressed, overcome with existential dread, a few seconds out there will awaken a ravenous hunger for life unlike any other. Though, there are probably less extreme and more pleasant steps you could take to rekindle your joie de vivre. Suffice to say, it brings your mind into a very narrow focus, as all viable..." he chuckled "...solutions have to be feasible in thirty seconds. You cannot swim in space - but you can jump. So I did. First off the airlock, then off some debris. Ten seconds. Then, I was on the Hyperion's hull, thumbing through the access cards I had taken not too long prior, all untested." He took a stack of playing cards on the table, flicking them away one by one. "It hurts, a pain that is made even more imminent by the knowledge that it will only increase throughout your lifetime. We have not evolved to understand this kind of all-encompassing pain, a cold fire all over. Luckily, the fourth chip fit, and the Hyperion's internal sensor systems were down. I stowed away, made my way back home, and continued my ways, until I switched sides and joined with you adorable lot during the Forty Days Battle at Jupiter's L4, but you do have that on file. Why? The offer was too good, and you kept your side of the bargain. Proud Fed ever since, gold and blue, and my track record will tell you that the Federation made the right choice."
He smelled the glass, and drank the fragrant drop within. "What did my space walk teach me? I want to live. Life is beautiful, but short. What are your plans for today after we are done here, agent?"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:37:57 AM by EchoMirage »