llamaenterhear

Author Topic: The Silk Road Act 1: Old Cairo  (Read 7131 times)

0 Members and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Re: The Silk Road Act 1: Old Cairo
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
"Surprising friendly around here. Not used to that."

Jerome was sitting in his armored flight suit, helmet on with visor open so he could offer some signs of humanity.

"Anything about this area you can tell us about, Captain?  I've heard strange stories but they never really got into detail."

The friendliness of the river people is dependent on how armed you are, we are very well armed, so they are very friendly, Arjun said. I also imagine the djinn is making an impression with his antics back there on the gun. Don't smile, dont keep eye contact, dont speak unless they speak first, dont accept gifts, and dont offer any, there is a very complicated barter system here, outside of the city. Bullets and water are the most valuable things, and we are closer to the time of the prophet than the modern day out here.

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
"I heard that an arcanotech 'Mech got taken out in Victoria lake, and was thought lost - only to come downstream a year later, piloted by some strange goo. After they took it out, it came back again and again.
Apparently, the experimental tech on board kept duplicating the thing in some sort of spatiotemporal anomaly. They had to nuke the site."
Blue laughed. "May be true, may not. Regardless, many exotic things come down the Nile. The croco-krakens are my favourite. Always make for a great spectacle when they come to shore in town."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
Jerome just shook his head.  Had things always been this weird?

Jerome patched his sat data into the vehicles navigation system.  "Around here is where we want to go.  And here. " he pointed to the scavenger's camp, " is where we don't want to.  Too many hostiles."

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
The turbo tank cruises through the path that Jerome has charted out for it, making easy work of the rough terrain. It does start slowing down as they enter rougher terrain, and they are close to making the cut east towards the salt pan with a bullet ricochets off the armor shroud of the vehicle.

'Low velocity, large caliber,' Arjan says, grabbing another gear and throwing the vehicle forward.

Outside, Blue is slung around in the gunner's position. He sees the shooters, there are a good dozen of them, on horses and camels. They aren't raiders like he's seen before, these are kill fetishes, people who like to dress up in borderline bondage gear and go out with guns and knives and kill people for fun.

More rounds ping off the armor, from a single shooter. He has an antique rifle, and the rest of the killers seem to have much better weapons, but arent using them

Note - The Thrill Killers have the high ground, and are mounted, there are 10 of them, and they are all armed. Turbo tank is heading up a wide desert wash/flood plain, and the TKs are to the right side of the vehicle, approx 100 meters away
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
"Captain?"  She would know this terrain better then he. Not sure about Blue.  He closed his visor and checked his rocket rifle.  The rockets had much less range in an atmosphere, but their heat-seekers should work nicely.

"Aim for the horses Blue. Better targets and if they are ground-poundin' they ain't a threat." Well, less of one.

"If they persist, forget what I said about the Scavangers. Draw them together and get the hell out in the confusion. Unless you got a better plan Ma'am."

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:43:27 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »
"I think they may be just trolling, or whatever the wastelanders call this sort of entertainment - why else would they be using such a crude slugthrower first, and nothing else? I know it may sound strange from me, but what if we don't shoot for a moment?" Drat, Blue wanted to shoot them so much. But at the same time, the draenei wanted to live, and test how well the fount within could handle such a situation.

With a deep breath, the neo-ethnic ducked behind the plating around the gun post, and focused that inner fount outward, into a barrier of pure turbulent force between them and the Thrill Killers, imbuing it with a little of the structured chaos so idiosyncratic of Blue. Projectiles entering the barrier would veer off randomly, or rather, randomly in any direction except the tank. At least that was the plan.
The inner gate opened, and Blue guided that strange energy to follow mortal will.

"Floor it."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
The fount opened, and Blue felt his skin turn to ice. He could feel the air, the moisture, the vibration, and the pulse of the River. It was palatable, and it pulsed through him. On the ridge, the Thrill-killers amusedly kept taking pot shots at turbo tank, but the rounds missed. The few that did hit the vehicle were either tumbling wildly or glanced off the armor at strange angles. This made the killers angry and they gave pursuit for a short distance, but their biological mounts couldn't match the speed of the tank.

Arjan looked over at Jerome, 'Why does the djinn not shoot?' she asked.

They put a few miles between them and the killers, as Arjan brings the vehicle to a halt near a cluster of dingy white metal towers. A transponder, a moisture evaporator, and a solar power generator... one of the terraforming stations that could be randomly found across the world, relics from when the world almost died.

'One who DOES NOT SHOOT AT QATIWE TARIQ!' Arjun barked at Blue, 'Plug us up to the charger.'

She looked at Jerome and his bots, 'We need protection while we charge, and while I make sure those tariq didnt hurt my tank'

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
"No @!#$'n idea," shrugged Jerome as he dismounted from the turbo tank.

He shouldered his rocket rifle and activated its infrared tracker.  A few mental commands - rerouted through implants of course -  he was no Psiker, and a couple of his bots dismounted as well.
One could only use the rifle 'buttoned up' as the backblast from the rockets could easily burn or blind an unprotected operator. 

He directed one robot - a suicider - to about 100m between the tank and the likely approach from the Thrill-Killers or 'Qatiwe Tariq'. It quickly buried itself leaving nothing but a filament aerial sticking up.  Another, a small camera drone, he sent up near the top of the white tower where it alighted and began a wide scan with its camera.   The rest of the bots - including a pair of Skelbots currently folded into awkward positions inside their 'privacy' cocoons, he put on standby.  Tom and Jerry were quite useful, but not the most reliable things on God's creation.

Now, to wait and hope for boredom.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:00:00 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 06:56:19 AM »
"Sorry there, I thought that first shot was just a challenge, and din't want to start the morning like a murder-hobo. If you don't shoot back, they grow bored, no?"
If looks could kill, their gazes would have scorched blue into a crisp.
Truth be told, killing got Blue *going*, in many ways. Take a life, feel alive. Which may not be the best thing every single time. Thanks to papa and mama genetic engineer, tacho-womb environment programmer, or whoever messed with the original design, Blue frankly enjoyed homicide, but as with many things we thoroughly enjoy, it's sometimes not easy to stop. Leave the last potato chip in the bag - can you?
"I solemnly promise to thoroughly murder them now that my misconception stands corrected."
Blue settled behind the gun again, swiveling hence and forth between possible approach vectors.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
'Murder hobo?' Arjan said, her lip curling. 'They are murder tourists, they will kill us for fun. If you shoot back, most will piss their pants and run away.' She spits on the ground and goes back to checking the hull of the vehicle, making sure the wheels and body are unharmed by the few shots that hit. She seems mostly pleased that the vehicle is okay.

Jerome's camera bot chirped in his ear, and flicked him a visual feed. The thrill killers seemed emboldened by their flight and were confidently riding up the way the tank had gone. The man in the lead had a sun hardened face, a local, likely their tracker. They weapons were in loose ready positions, but he could see that these were no soldiers or mercenaries, they were tourists going on a hunt off the radar. No one cared what happened the wastelands.

The camera drone chirped again, as it's motion detection picked out the thrill-killers dropship. It was a small job, expensive, sleek. Non-military so very low chance of being armed, which was good. It was a kilometer behind the TKs and about 100 meters above the ground, likely pinpointing them with it's own sensors

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 08:33:55 PM »
"We have company incoming.  Also, they have a dropship bout a klick out." 

Too bad he didn't still have his mobile mortar, that would end this charade real quick. But it was so expensive to feed.

He armed the suicider, and targeted the 3rd Thrill Killer in.  The kilogram of neo-rdx and fragmentation shell would probably put a damper on their expedition.

He fed his drone telemetry into his rocket rifle, all the better to smash the Thrill Killers. 

He waited for them to enter optimum range.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
The desert air - as long as the wind was calm - had one great advantage: lasers went far, and didn't scatter. Blue's laser sniper rifle would have a clear shot. A few sizzling kisses would prompt the Thrill-Killers either to advance more quickly into the waiting robot ambush, or send them off crying for mother (or whatever aberration birthed them). Once (and if) they came closer, the Draenei would switch to the machine gun, and spray away.
With an afterthought, Blue informed the rest of the band of this intent: "I figure I should say, got a sniper rifle here, will shoot a few to make up for earlier, okay?" The best pearl-white grin followed after.
At least the gene techs did a good job on the teeth. And the skin. The joint work on the legs was ingenious. Coordination? Worth every penny. All they did mess up was my head. Is it messed up, though? Or is it just not to specifications? Definitely messed up; one has just to see one of the episodes. Euphemism. But, would I prefer to be as ordered, docile, eager to please? Nay. Worth the occasional ... emotional outburst.
"Anyways, ready to fire at your command. Honestly. Command me."

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 11:39:33 AM »
Over the comm, "What's your best range, blue? I'd say still get the horses first - might make them think twice if they have to hoof it back to wherever the hell they are from. Plus, being thrown sucks."

"Captain' are you monitoring any of the other frequencies? Don't want anyone else crashin' this party."

"Take your shot Blue. I'll wait for them to get in close - mine advertises my position a bit."   

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
"No projectile drop, no wind impact, with the expected dispersion in this air I can do 2 and a half kilometers reasonably. If I go for the horses, I don't need to charge the capacitors for maximum power, they don't seem to be wearing armour or be shielded. I can max out the rate of fire, tune it up to heart's desire - or, to be specific, to what you could be used to from a projectile rifle. Which is way less terrific, but here we are."
Poor horses.
"I had a horse once. Sigificantly more pleasant than most people, by a margin at least as wide as its ass."

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Blue's rifle made quick and terrible work of the horses. The streams never get laser injuries right, they show the beam of light and then the people falling over, or things bursting in a spray of pyrotechnic sparks. In real life, it was much worse, there is carbonizing and vaporization of the flesh. Pockets of water flash boil, and explode. In the case of the handful of horses and camels, this was flash boiled blood, exploding sinus cavities, and bursting eyeballs. The ones who were shot in the head slumped to the ground as their skulls burst and boiled. Those were the lucky ones. The thrill killers were greatly disturbed by this turn of events, and quickly lose their swagger.

Those not already dismounted did so, and drew their weapons to attempt to lay down suppressing fire. They were not military, so their movements were not coordinated, and they were not accurate, luckily indicating none of them had SmartGuns. They still put up a wall of firepower that forced Blue and the others to either seek cover, or risk being hit by a random shot from a gyrojet rifle, magnetic coil gun, or hyper-velocity kinetic rifle.

Pew Pew, indeed.

One, a man, shouted something into his wrist, and the distant dropship started moving forward, either with reinforcements, or with back up for the hapless wanna be weekend murderers

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »
Obutsu's job was tedious, but that was what happened when you had your merc rating wrecked by EUdAS agents for working for a Nipponese zaibatsu. His target was a regular arco jerk-off, a suit who ended up on the wrong ship at the wrong time. He was looking for one Mx Adaeze, a gene spliced 7 foot tall Nigerian born woman with a class 3 neko splice, who happened to be the Director of Internal Affairs for the Kampala Arcoplex, and the Terragenesis Complex.

He didn't have the resources to have his own craft, which meant that he had to get a seat on a junker mag-rail and run north along the coast of the Sea of Victoria and try to triangulate the location of her downed shuttle. There was no rhyme or reason as to why a woman (most likely a woman) of such standing and importance would be on a low grade cargo ship on an unauthorized trajectory for Old Cairo, and for her to have been literally shot down by Kampalan aerospace fighters.

It was a s**tty job, and it stank to high heaven, but the alternative was sitting in the Hiring Hall outside Kampala, watching his merc rating continue to fall and his bank account creep closer and closer to negative numbers.

The pilot of the rail tramp told Obutsu that he had picked up energy spikes in their path, likely laser fire, and he wasnt getting paid to go into a hot zone, so either Obutsu could bail and take one of the leg suits from the cargo hatch and carry on on foot, or he could stay on until they reached the first stop, and then he could find passage to the Salt Pan from their himself, but that would take him a good 20 kilometers away from the target

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
Jerome cursed at the high volume of fire the thrill killers laid down, but they didn't have a monopoly on that.  The gun barrels would be glowing nicely in infrared, so he fired a burst of heat-seeking 20mm rockets from his gun, fired blind over the rock.  The small rockets flew down range, fanning out and then switching to seek mode.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
Jerome cursed at the high volume of fire the thrill killers laid down, but they didn't have a monopoly on that.  The gun barrels would be glowing nicely in infrared, so he fired a burst of heat-seeking 20mm rockets from his gun, fired blind over the rock.  The small rockets flew down range, fanning out and then switching to seek mode.

the three mini rockets found their targets with ease, homing in on glowing laser emitters. Two struck the barrels of the guns they were locked in on, exploding impressively, killing three of the thrill killers and wounded two others with shrapnel. The third came just short of it's target and hit a boulder near the third shooter, shattering the rock and filling the area with dust. The man behind the rock went down with severe injuries, and several others were take out of fighting as they choked on the dust and smoke from the explosions.

Those not incapacitated or otherwise injured decided to go for reinforcements, at the same time. The remaining four would be weekend assassins fled on foot for the approaching dropship. A single person in light armor was at the door of the dropship, manning a mounted weapon and was spraying across the gulley with it, in an attempt to lay down suppressing fire. His own people scattered, and one of the four went down in a burst of blood.

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
Jerome took advantage of the chaotic enemy and ordered his recon drone to enter the drop ships open door.  At the very least, if it took the door gunners aim high, there would be time to fire himself.

Its powersupply would burst equal to a flash-bang. Not enough to injure, but could really spook the pilot...

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
It wasn't much of a choice for Joao Matos. Heading into a firefight, more or less sufficiently armed, was part-and-parcel to his line of work. An extra delay wouldn't get him paid anymore. "Show me these leg suits," he said to the pilot.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:11 AM »
Grinning maniacally, Blue popped up again, having taken cover from the random fire previously. Charging the rifle's capacitor to full strength, the neo-ethnic locked the lightly armoured raider-gunner in the sights, and sent a maximum charge bolt towards the lifted face-plate.
"We're pursuing, yes? I hope so! Haven't even gotten the chance to use *our* mounted gun yet! Plus, we could use a shuttle.
The River welled up in Blue, wanting to be used on the escaping thrill-killers - or to disrupt an eventual take-off of the shuttle, it cared little. "A little closer..."
How far can I reach anyway these days?
Blue tried by pulling on the shuttle's mounted gun...

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »
The door gunner on the dropship swung the mounted gun to engage the drone, not knowing what the little hornet had in it. the shots going wide, but enough to engage the drone's evasion programming, sending it looping away from the dropship before Jerome was able to grab control of the drone back from the automatic systems. The drone smacked into the side of the dropship, it's remote aim not as good as it's inertial systems. The damage was enough that it kept the drone from self destruction.

Matos was issued a standard issue Bolt series leg suit (unarmed, and unarmored version of the All Terrain Recon Transport from Star Wars: The Clone Wars). It was thankfully fast, but lacking a pintle or screen his face is fairly sandblasted by the time he reaches the edge of the combat. He can see a civilian issue dropship ahead of him, markings put it as a short range glider out of Kampala. There is more shooting, and then a series of whumps that he recognizes as explosive munitions.

Blue fired his rifle, the almost invisible beam struck the door gunner perfectly square in the middle of the chest, evaporating organs and charring flesh. The man never even knew he died, the superheated blood cooking him from the inside out, as the beam bored a hole into the dropship and burning out the rear side, severely damaging the craft.

Bad round for the TKs

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
"Oh, I am *so* touching myself tonight!" Blue cheered as the shot went right through the gunner and shuttle. "Wait, is the mike still on? Sorry!"
Some of the Thrill-Killers were still running, much of the thrill of their vacation done.
"Can we pursue them? And run them over? And claim their shuttle? Please, Captain Arjan ma'am?" Blue pleaded while aligning a shot or two at whichever hostile target presented itself. Perhaps I could get the shuttle's pilot?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by EchoMirage »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
Obutsu did a quick visual scan of the scene. Death tourists and a random dropship? Nothing about it particularly interested him. Kampala was a big enough arco to host its fair share of unrelated scum; there was no reason to think the dropship had anything to do with his target.

Still. They were pretty much right in his way. And it seemed like it would be a relatively short fight. There was always the off-chance that the dropship and crew might have some useful intel.

Keeping his mouth shut to prevent any (more) sand from filling his mouth, he manuevered the leg suit at a steady stride toward the dropship,  unslinging his VD 10-60 and readying its trigger.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
It would be nice to capture it, thought Jerome for a moment. Then he thought better of it.  Pilot might want to take us with him..

He switched his rockets to direct fire and fired a burst straight at the jumpship. 

"Fire in the hole!"

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:54:14 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®