llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Cobb Test  (Read 148 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Cobb Test
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
The Turing test is the name given to the test that determines if a machine is actually sentient or just really clever at looking like it is.

The Cobb test is the name given to the test that a person does to determine if they are indeed in reality, or if they are in a simulation. Following the Maia experiment and Project Infinity, the fear of becoming lost in a simulation, or being placed in a simulation against your will or without your knowledge, is a serious concern.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming - would be the dream version of the Cobb test. This wouldn't work in the majority of immersive simluations since pain sensations are just another feedback loop and aren't going to kick you out of the simulation.

So, what is the Cobb test?

I don't want to have everyone in the CogNet toting around a pocket full of knickknacks and totems to see if they are in reality or a dream.

Thoughts, suggestions?
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: Cobb Test
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
Not sure knicknacks and totems can totally be avoided.

You carry a phylactery which only you can open(true end to end encryption, infinitely strong password, Cosmic Era Handwavium), and inside is a phrase only you would know.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
I would say that things like Peripheral area networks people are going to see things like consistent heads up displays, where you would see things like a person's public identity, general rating, and so forth, and the CogNet would look a lot like a Matrix version of an MMO, but if it were designed by Apple, Amazon, and the rest of the public mega-corporations. There would be 'eject' buttons, and 'Log Out' functions.   

The Cobb Test could certainly be a totem or 'what's in my pocket' test, but with the system being cognitive and immersive, I could see these sorts of tests failing because if you know something, the machine server is going to know it as well.

I think the Cobb test is going to be something that is random, and that the system wouldn't anticipate, or have an answer to, or the answer it would have would betray it's nature. Dramatic things would work, if you get hit by a car in a sim, you're fine. That's a terrible test, in case you are slightly disoriented and you jump in front of a real vehicle.

Like could the Cobb Test be as simple as talking gibberish to someone and see how they react?
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
If the machine knows everything you do, then I guess being 'you' has become irrelevant in this world.
I remember thinking about this a long time ago and once convention I had was that the color of the sky would be by default green as opposed to blue in a simulated universe. Of course, that was assuming a benevolent environment with no intent on deception.

I think given machines that know everything you do, and complete immersion, a true Cobb test seems impossible to me. Apart from the obviously terminal ones.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®