llamaenterhear

Author Topic: The Last Tomorrow, or, Tales of Great Moltholom  (Read 3858 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
The Last Tomorrow, or, Tales of Great Moltholom
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
A world so old its time is running out...

Lastland
The only continent (land mass) left, which has not been buried beneath the earth, nor swallowed by waters, nor burned by fire, nor torn apart by winds.

Great Moltholom
A city the size of a country, ruled by odious sorcerers and myopic wizards from their twisted towers. The myriad enchantments and spell runes etched all along the great walls, protect the city from the ravaging abominations outside it. But they too, like everything else, wane in power.

Psor
One of the few remaining cities of Lastland where humans still dwell. Women outnumber the men by a ratio of fifty to one here. And most of the men are sterile.

Throbbing Bogs
What used to be a sizable landmass of varied terrain, is now a vast, horror-filled, fetid bog of monstrosities and many dangers besides.

Deadsands
A unimaginably vast wasteland where nothing grows, no birds fly, and where almost no one or nothing dwells.

Old Place
One of the few cities remaining, aside from Great Moltholom, where lepers, beggars, and broken-men cling to the beyond-ancient stones, and pray to queer gods for salvation.

Sleeping Sea
Once a great ocean, now a vast "puddle", which is rarely more than waist deep on a man.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:53:13 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Re: The Last Tomorrow, or, Tales of Great Moltholom
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
Nice!!!
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »
To the tribesmen of the Lastland, we are Belphegor, the lord of the Dead.
To the magi of Great Moltholom, we are Thangirion Zomiel, whose visage causes Gods to turn away
To Tiphareth of Psor, we are called Husband.

Appearance
Casual - Dark gray chasuble under a black fanon marked with symbols representing unholy constellations and the signs of elder beasts. This is all under a light devouring cappa magna (or great cloak)

Formal - The Panoply of Zomiel, a full suit of orichalum armor including a head piece that is heavily ornamented and crenellated. The armor is layered with protective magics, studded with magic jewels, and produces it's own ghastly light. Also has the Staff of Zomiel, a powerful necromancer's tool imbued with ancient and hoary magics.

Belphegor Thangirion Zomiel is ancient and cadaverous, with chalky white flesh that is frequently brittle and dry to the touch. Despite his appearance, he still contains a great deal of physical strength. He has no hair, and seldom blinks, with deep set dark eyes that give his face a skeletal appearance.

Magic

Thang's magic flows from two major sources, necromancy and the abomination magics of the elder gods, which flows in disturbing patterns, with emphasis on corruption, buffing others, summoning monsters, raising the dead, and controlling others through fear and displays of power.

(mixture of Lovecraft monsters, hardcore necromancy, and entropy/corruption)

Lair

The Graveyard of Dragons - Thangirion's crypt/stasis chamber was buried deep under a place known as the Graveyard of Dragons, where many dragons and other great beasts went to die. When he arose in the Last Age, his fortress rose from the dead earth, lifting rotting flesh and bone piles into the sky, decorating itself with their corpses.

One dragon was not completely dead, and was skewered by the central tower, Thangirion used his magic to preserve the dragon's leaving it broken and bound to the stone, but still hateful and alive enough to vomit fire and bile on those who tarry to close to the Graveyard Fortress.

Personality

Thangirion was formerly married to a beautiful woman, and her death lead him to search out the secrets of immortality. He found them, but it was too late to bring her back from the dead, so he created the Graveyard Fortress as a permanent mausoleum for the both of them. He has since been disturbed and woken, leaving him to see the the end results of his work is his own wretched immortality, and his beloved reduced to crumbling bone. He is very old, and his power diminished by the slow death of the world. He is a moral quandary, does he hasten the end of that world to end his own suffering, or does he try to do what she would have wanted, and been a force of goodness.

Thangirion is Chaotic Neutral, with deliberate effort to be either lawful, or good, leaving him wandering between lawful evil and chaotic good, with a melancholy neutral being the normal resting state.

Thangirion also speaks to himself in a plural form, as he is a bit cracked, and might have a few stolen souls and minds buried inside of his own. He manifests Zomiel as good, Thangirion as chaotic neutral, and Belphegor as pure evil.
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Icky the Awful and Thang the Necrope. Love it!!

Note: We will pay homage to Vance (obviously), but originalize (is that a word? nope.) the game a bit. So won't be literally stealing stuff from the books, but rather re-creating the dying earth genre to suit our own vile purposes (whatever those may be).

Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »
Thalonin the Pestilent

Appearance

Under cover of Illusion - Normal

When he chooses to make himself apparent, he appears as a merchant of fine goods. A long deep blue silk robe with the tips of overlong pointed shoes emerging at the bottom.  Black, perfectly tailored gloves and a shining black skullcap.  Long, salt-and-pepper hair frames his fine-featured face with his clear, blue eyes.

Under cover of Illusion - Low profile
A simple beggar, shabby clothes and worse smell. Old but looks even older due to the ravages of a life of want.

Without Illusions
Tall, and thick of frame, if not quite flabby. Skin of healthy pallor and with long unkempt hair.  He has long been transferring the ravages of time to others so appears - and is - far younger than his years.  Unremarkable even, with dark brown hair and eyes.  He wears numerous rings and small items of jewelry, along with a simple black silk robe with hundreds of hidden pockets, many magic. Some are full on portals to other worlds from whence he can draw upon things best left alone.  While not overpowering, he is constantly followed by an unwholesome odor - the mark of his studies into pestilence.

Magic
His magic is drawn from the realms of Pestilence and Illusion.  As the world dies, the scavengers and parasites grow fat. He foresaw the ascension of this domain early in his studies, aware of the chipping away of reality. He knows too, that even the rats and cockroaches will turn on each-other just before the end.   He specializes in weakening and misdirecting his foes.

Lair

Deep underneath the streets of Old Place - even lower than the cavernous sewers, can be found his demesne. Tunnels gnawed from the living earth by vast worms that he brought for the purpose.  They have long since departed the City, leaving long tunnels out to various corners of the world.
Here he maintains a menagerie of strange and foul creatures from beyond, as well as entire herds of swine he uses both as food and as surrogates for the price of his magic. He has a few of his enemies held here as well - serving as surrogates with the swine.

Personality

Remarkable aloof and unconcerned with most things beyond his personal survival.  He has an overriding fear of his own death, and has built layer upon layer of contingencies to protect himself.   He is torn between his efforts to survive to see the end of the world, and to act to perhaps delay this outcome.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »
I must regretfully decline. I have a conflict.

ooc  - I would like the story started before we start discussing in-character logistics. Thalonin, for one, would never share his spellbook with anyone. He thinks all other disciplines of magic are waning, and has little interest in them :)

My first draft is assuming we do in fact start off in our own humble abodes, and also assumes Muro will open a separate thread for the actual game posts rather then our characters and chat here...

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »
I must regretfully decline. I have a conflict.

ooc  - I would like the story started before we start discussing in-character logistics. Thalonin, for one, would never share his spellbook with anyone. He thinks all other disciplines of magic are waning, and has little interest in them :)

My first draft is assuming we do in fact start off in our own humble abodes, and also assumes Muro will open a separate thread for the actual game posts rather then our characters and chat here...
Ikela SLAMMS around srying chamber, composes himself  and says" Oh course, another time"
OOC no prob
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
This should have been posted by me a while ago  :poet:

(weird) creatures common to the setting:

Deodands: Deodands are humanoids which look like handsome, muscular human men, but twice as tall, with "dead black lustreless skin and long slit eyes." They are strong, murderous, and carnivorous creatures, but can be killed with offensive spells, which they fear. They can be made to serve by the more powerful wizards, but are always looking for a weakness in their master, which they can exploit.

Oasts: Oasts are creatures which appear to be very tall humans with pale skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, but are actually no more intelligent than livestock, and are kept as such. Some wizards and a few tribes of barbarians use them as food, mounts, and beasts of burden.

Twks: The Twks are tiny greenish men who ride on dragonflies. They are useful sources of information, and are willing to sell their knowledge. By the same token, they can be bribed to lie to others. The usual form of payment is salt, which they crave for unexplained reasons.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Thalonin stepped away from his crystal, muttering and rolling his eyes.  “Exchange spells he says. Bah. I’ll exchange spells with him, and he wouldn’t like it one bit. Icky indeed.” He drew a large, bizarrely colored beetle from one of his many pockets, really too large have come from that pocket.  “No, he wouldn’t, would he Gerich?” he said while stroking its carapace. 

Deeper down into his dwelling, he opened and entered a massive door, heavily protected by all manner of warding spells, including those that would convert intruders into wiggling piles of worms.

Here, dozens of rooms were gnawed into the bones of the earth. He entered one and a  low moan from the rooms lone occupant greeted him. If it were stronger it might have sounded defiant.

“Have you seen the error of your ways yet, Murnal? Have you figured out how to unbreak what you have broken?  No? Then abide while you ponder this.”
Thalonin strode away from the wretch, manacled, bound, and tied to a strange machine that seemed to pulse weakly.

To the next chamber he barely stuck his head in.
“Quadoth! Yes, you.  Do you have the answer? Need I bring back your little friends to spur your memory? No. Then get to it. You don’t have forever. None of of us do!”

Thalonin walked further on.  This room had a stall with several Oasts.  He made no attempt to converse with them, only noting that sufficient feed was available to them.  They too were attached to strange machines.

He completed his rounds, satisfied that all was in order. None of his ‘friends’ were on death’s door, nor seemed to be struggling effectively.  He was being merciful. He could have simply slain them, for they did transgress across that line, but no, now they would get to see the end of the world. Even if it was from deep inside the earth.  And, because they would, so would he.

At this point, he made his way back up to his library.  This room too was protected by a heavily ensorcelled door - and a second one beyond besides.  The walls, floor and ceiling were also protected from spells and scrying, with layers of metals, stones and runed surfaces to block teleportation, planar incursions and even simple mining.  For the library was his treasure.

“Kethathez! The Book of Ogrum’s Grace if you will!’  he ordered as he found his overstuffed chair near the illusionary fireplace. Not even a spark was allowed in here, so Thalonin made due with the illusionary heat the illusionary fire provided.  A moment later, and a huge, black, spider-thing presented Thalonin with the grimoire.

"Thank you, Kethathez. Share? Indeed....”

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
Ikela the Lawful (Icky the Awful to his enemies and monks in a bad mood, he hates this nickname)

(simple brown robes, arms folded across chest w/ scrolls in both hands, Bald, no eyebrows, white puples , black outside of eyes)

being Lawful Good(evil)I do not summon sanduskins and the like

St 18 Int 22 ws 13 dx 17 con 18 charisma 17

Spells memorized

Time Stop(10 rounds, NOTE although this is a very powerful spell, it is very common to major mages amd they often have defences against this)

Counter spell (lesser)

Dispel Magic (lesser)

Disintegrate

Mazarian's over All excellence(Incredible over all buff to physical abilities, another common spell)

Fireball minor

Time skip(cast two spells in one round) minor

Immunity

Scrolls in hand

(These scrolls are very hard to make and as such, I am loathe to use them unless I have avery good reason, spells are too powerful to be memorized)

Left Volcano

right Earthquake

Minor magic items

ring of feather fall

whistle of gryphon summoning

60 Ioun stones (recall one spell cast,detection of Time stop, able to cast minor spell "Stone Fist" x 5 (18 00 strength two handed +3 sword equivalant) Analyze magic x4, cast "armor spell" ,Plate x3)

Traquil Mansion is simple abbey (main guardians are 6 fearsome Gargoyles, immune to less than +2 weapons, claws shred magical defenses)

Abby is filled with 20 monk/mage/ martial artists, they take on my "sin" and damage when I do black magic or get hurt,The monks are lead by Kasak, my major domo who is frequently absent in search of new monk recruits as my "sins' kill them, they are attracted to a scholarly monastic order dedicated to supporting my LG will.

abbey is located high on "World Teat " mountain range in griffon country, Ikela has many trained griffons he uses as transportation as do the monks

World Teat's oldest mountain range, by far not the tallest filled with angry rams, yeti and white dragons, not to mention the gryffons, home to a fierce barbarian tribe made up of small family units scattered across range

Spell library and Research

I have never looked into transportation spells so no teleport , fly etc, I have the 3rd best library, number one on Religion as I am reasurching crossing the clerical and arcane streams,especially healing. I pine for a lost love,Lala , a female paladin who never returned my affection, now lost to time, her memory makes him bitter.

Spellbook

Minor

Fireball

major invisability

Mirror images

Super duper Stone fist

6 fould bounty of fire

6 fold bounty of healing

6 fold bounty of gold

counter spell

dispell magic

Major

earthquke

volcano

tidal wave

Winter storm

Rain storm

Greater Counter spell

Time Stop

Destroy Magic Items

Tranquil Abbey Locations(NOTE TO OTHER PLAYERS: Those of you not familiar w/ Vance/ Mage dwellings are normally sumptuous Mansions)

(The abbey is spartan in the extreme, no tapistries on walls or rugs)

Spell Library

Casting/experimental chamber

Tropical Garden complete w/ twik men and faeries, fresh fruit and herbs is harvested

Training grounds, monks stand here and soak sin and damage always 3 on duty(this is main front entrance)

Abbey santuary, this is converted into kitchen/ bedroom for all inhabitants and guests 50 beds and tables for same

secondary Library, monk library

secondary training grounds, martial arts training(mainly damage soaking is taught)

Hospital, where damaged monks go to heal, Rodrick the Red 5th L cleric on duty, also aids Me in my spell research.

Study small room with fresco's of Lost paladin and fladulation whip, no one except for me may enter

Outside abbey

small barbarian family tends the abbey's sheep

Tranquil Garden

hedge maze for mediation, rose bushes for walls

Character notes

severe LG to the point of spilling over into evil methods (Think Inquisition)

Realizes Monks are hard to replace so uses them carefully but if pressed will use them up compleatly, gryffons are disposable. Period.

Do not underestimate his pining for his lost paladin love, it is a constant reminder of mine

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
overvue
Ok there are approx 100 known spells

The Notches
they are technicly divided into 36 mental notches in your head a major spell is more or less 6 slots but some are up to 18,

Proposal
I say we all have 70% of the spells leaving 3 that only each of us know,

free casting
we can also have a spontaniously casting class if you want one you you can cast 7 spells you know 25 with out a spellbook, You can prepare from outside that 25 ahead of time
Hit points we each have 4000
Deodands/griffons do 1000 and have same

SPELLBOOK
Firebaii(minor) 2000 damage easily countered from over familierity of the spell
Disintigrate 3000/ always does 1500 despite any defences
Time Stop Major (7 pits)2 didpell magics will blast it
Time siezure Minor (3)pits triggered by others Time stop, one spell can be cast
Dispel Magic (minor),exactly can be used on overwatch as counter spell
Pestulance of Spider (minor) 3 pits army of 10,000 1 hd spiders has 3000 hp
Raise major dead army (major 6 pits) army of 500 3 hd skeletons,zombies and mummys  3000 HP
Contingancy (5 pits major) instantly cast on other prepared spell in responce to an attack
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:16:58 PM by Aramax »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
Re: above, i'll happily use your spell casting system, though I don't quite understand the mechanics fully.

Can you expound on that?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
It's a work in progress

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
OOC, Yes Ikels is a very dangourus and deranged individual, who would see both your characterers as abimnations(Scras a little bit more) HOWEVER That said he is not a fight starter and is respected for obeying the LETTER of the law amung the grand wizards., as such he does not plot against them AT ALL, BUT seeks to destroy those who are unworthy by following the Law. In following that law , he does not see all infractions as punishable by death unless the rules specificly call for it. He is a Re-acter not an initiater, this is well know about him, also I really like the idea that they created a "Sergant -at-Arms" position for him with absolutly no powers, except maybe too invoke a meeting if there is a threat to the council as a whole.(to placate him)

Muro: Now that I fleshed out my magic systema little. How do you feel about it?( basic idea is no die rolls) I'm kinda on the fence and I don't think Val wants structure like that (Val?)
So I'll go along with whatever the majority (or I suppose GM ) says.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:18:26 AM by Aramax »

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
Ok Scras told me he's not a "speelbook" fan, so that makes both other players out on that, so I guess we just "wing it"

EDIT I am a HUGE fan of the "memorization" type magic, but I totally get peeps who don't want to be bogged down w / th "paperwork", I'm goina stick with the mememorizarion and major and minor spells out of personal preferarance and using it for RPing
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:29:58 AM by Aramax »

Offline valadaar

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
I think in the end, we each define what is in our own spellbooks, and without stating it up front to potentially paint ourselves into the corner.  It might remove some of the challenge of making due with spells you have chosen, but I trust we are all going to be honest enough not to always have the super-best spell for any particular situation available.

Straight battle magics are no-brainers, but Ervads Potent Calmer of Rabid Oasts would be a bit contrived if we happen to  be set upon by a hoard of Rabid Oasts :)

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
I think in the end, we each define what is in our own spellbooks, and without stating it up front to potentially paint ourselves into the corner.  It might remove some of the challenge of making due with spells you have chosen, but I trust we are all going to be honest enough not to always have the super-best spell for any particular situation available.

Straight battle magics are no-brainers, but Ervads Potent Calmer of Rabid Oasts would be a bit contrived if we happen to  be set upon by a hoard of Rabid Oasts :)
I just wanna do it by the book(rping)