llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Purpose of Freeform?  (Read 2241 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Orik

• Nomad
    • Awards
Purpose of Freeform?
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:57:05 PM »
I just got on today and i was wondering what is the point to a forum based rpg?
I win!!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Purpose of Freeform?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 06:18:08 PM »
I'm not exactly sure that there is a point.  What's the point of a tabletop RPG, or a video game.  Having fun is the point, I suppose.  

By the way, I'm Ria Hawk.  Welcome.  Don't mind the grog that will shortly be carreening down the stairs.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
lurk
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 01:16:59 AM »
Forum based games allow you to do table top gaming without all having to be in the same place at the same time.  Instead of verbally acting out your actions, you type them in.  Yes, it is very, very slow, in comparison to a table top game. However, if you work at odd hours or are not near any games, it is a god send.

You can see a good one at www.rpol.net, contemporary, Slayer's dream- a Buffy game.
http://rpol.net/rpol/game.cgi?gi=210&gn=Slayer's+Dreams+A+Buffy+the+Vamp+Slayer+Game&date=1065075043

Freeform gaming, in my opinion is a little strange.  It is more like writing a cooperative story than playing a game.  But it makes people happy, so they do it.

While you can play by post here, most of the discussions deal with ideas you can use in a table top roleplaying game.

We have four worlds/ settings being developed, a number of ideas being fleshed out below for setting or magic systems, and about 37 articles on a variety of gaming subjects.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Purpose of Freeform?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 04:59:40 PM »
The point as planely as i can put it. Is that we rpg here to give a combination of our ideas all at once and so that the DMs can have a chance to be players. If that helps you out at all, other than that there is really nothing else.
the road keeps on telling me to go on