llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Excursions From the Citadel: We want to publish your stories.  (Read 723 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
Excursions from the Citadel is an anthology fiction magazine that exclusively features work written by members of Strolen’s Citadel.  The first issue is now for sale on amazon.  Being that Strolen’s Citadel is a roleplaying community, it is clear that the best way to introduce you to Excursions is through roleplaying.  In this scene we have an interview between a hard nose detective who follows her gut , and Excursions from the Citadel.

Detective:  Excursions from the Citadel is a stupid name.  How’d you come up with that?

Excursions from the Citadel:  Well an excursion is a journey or a trip and I hope that each story in me will take the reader somewhere: like an excursion.  From the Citadel because everything about me starts at the Citadel.

D: Okay, sending people on a trip huh? Are you talking human trafficking or ecstasy here?  What are you really all about! How did you get your start?

EC:  The project that became me started because a luminary of the Citadel website, Scrasamax, noted that self-publishing on Amazon was leading to more and more commercial success for new writers.  Look at the Martian for example, that was a self-published novel.    With all the great writing at the Citadel Scras thought it was foolish not to put some of it out Amazon.  So a group of writers responded to his call and I was born.

D: Scrasamax, huh, these street names get worse every year.  So what did you do? Did you just yank posts off the Citadel website?

EC:  No. No Citadel posts were harmed.   Every part of me was created specifically for me. Though I am from the Citadel, I am something independent.   I don’t want my existence to take anything away from the Citadel. Additionally, I have a different purpose than the Citadel.  The Citadel is about sharing ideas and roleplaying games.  I am also about sharing ideas but my primary goal is to tell stories through prose, though I do deal with poetry and visual art. 

D: Dealing huh? I will look into your Dealings.  But why can’t writers just post their stuff under the fiction tab on the Citadel? What makes you different. 

EC: My goals are different than the Citadel’s. One, I want to reach a different audience than the local community. Hopefully this will expand the Citadel’s audience as well. Two, I am a commercial endeavor, while I hope to eventually be profitable and kick back money to all my writers, my goal is to at least cover my own expenses with the money from my sales. Three, I try very had to make sure that all my prose is publication quality.

D:  Do you just let any member of the Citadel publish anything. 

EC: Well, all Citadel members are invited, but they can’t publish anything they want.  Everything has to be either science fiction or fantasy and it has to at least fit loosely with the theme of each issue.  The theme of my up-coming issue is Wizards.

D: What the %&*# is a wizard?

EC: For the purpose of issue 2's theme a wizard is a mortal, otherwise normal being, that during the coarse of their life acquired great supernatural power or is believed by some to have acquired great supernatural power. 

D:  Smells like dog breath to me, what if somebody doesn’t have anything to say about Wizards.

EC: There will be more issues.  The theme of issue 3 is “Steeds”. That is not just a horse but any form of transportation that the character or the plot has a direct and crucial relationship.  After I am also excepting ideas for a creation myth issue and others.  I am sure  there will be an issue theme that appeals to would-be writers.   In addition, we are running with 5 themes at any one time for stockpiling purposes.  But the process is very human and I can adapt to what other writers want to do.

D: So you got an Issue out now, next you release an issue on wizards and after that an about people that have relationship with their horses.  An issue about horse&%#ers? That is sick.   But let us pretend somebody wants to be part of this debacle how can they get on board.

EC:  There are two ways to submit your work.  The first way is to workshop your story.  Once, you get invited to access the shared Google drive you can post your story or part of your story in the story workshop.  There, other authors and volunteer reviewers will comment, copy edit and make suggestions on your story.  This process will help you develop your story prior to the first deadline (the intent deadline).  But if you don’t want to go through this whole workshop thing you can just upload your story at that deadline.

D: That makes no sense, what is the difference between workshopping your story and submitting your story cold at the deadline.

EC: When you submit your story at the deadline you will get more limited critiques.  In the workshop reviewers can go line by line through your story, commenting on word choice, asking questions, and making suggestions. The workshop is a really in-depth process.  If you submit at the deadline the story won’t necessarily be work-shopped.  The other authors will address a few set points of feedback.  I also have an official copy editor or proofreader, Moonlake, who will go through and check the grammar and spelling on your piece. 

D: So who decides if something fits with the issue or not?

EC: Each issue will have an editorial board.  That editorial board consists of every contributing author in the issue and one chief or senior editor.  Once the stories are completed every author reads the other stories, writes a short review and then submits it to the editor with an up or down vote.  The Editor also has a vote. The editor’s vote is weighted and equal to the sum of all the other votes.  So as long as the editor and one other person likes it is in, ties don’t go in.

D:  So who gets to be the editor?

EC: We will float editors between issues, the Editor for issue 2, Wizards, is Strolen.

D: Sounds harsh, all this work and then you just toss somebodies work out. 

EC: We don’t toss out any work. That is what makes me so different than other magazines.  If your story doesn’t pass the boards muster than, it is sent back for revisions.  I am committed to making your story the best it can be.   But I also have to trust the community of authors here.  I don’t want to exclude anything.  But stuff might get excluded.  It may be excluded for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the story. If the story doesn’t fit with the theme, or if there are too many similar stories in the same issue than it may be excluded.  But if the story just doesn’t win over the editor and other authors than it may get excluded.  But I committed to the stories as long as the author is committed to it.

D: Being committed might be the best choice for you, I don’t think you are playing with all your dice. But what are these deadlines your talking about, be specific. 

EC:  There are two deadlines an intent deadline and revision deadline.  The intent deadline (as in “I intend to be part of this project”) is when you sign up as an author.  At this point you have to have a complete story, doesn’t need to be perfect and polished but it has to be complete enough that it can be completed by the revision deadline.  You know how I was talking about the editorial board and the authors. Everybody that submits a story by the intent deadline is in that group.  The intent deadline for the Wizards issues is May 8th.

D: May 8th, Mother’s day… well your Mom can’t help you now.  What is this revision deadline?

EC: During the month after the intent deadline the stories will be voted on and revised.  As I found out with the last issue a lot can happen with a story in a month. But after a certain point the revisions have to stop and the editor will let the publisher know what is going into the issue.  The revision deadline for the Wizard’s issue is June 10th.

D: Editors, publisher, deadlines…this all sound really formal, but I thought this was a community project, I mean everybody is part of the citadel and everybody is reviewing each others work.  So what are you; a super formal or a fun group project.

EC:  I am a fun group project.  I am a community project, I don’t have a paid staff.  I exist because people took time out of their day to make me.    The formal stuff is just there to be safety nets.  I don’t anticipate anybody submitting a work of crap and I don’t think people will insist on ignoring my themes.   But I need deadlines and I need people with some weight to their choices to make sure stuff gets done and I continue to exist.  By joining me, and submitting at the very least you will have a group of interested and thoughtful people read your stories and try to make them better.  Please contact Moonlake, Aramax or Axlerowes via PM if you want join.  You can also check out the Excursions from the Citadel facebook page.
Modify message

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: Excursions From the Citadel: We want to publish your stories.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
We(theThree)
arm for battle
a call to arms!
help!
become WE the Many!
but if three we must
then three it be!
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »

Signup Deadline for Submission to Next Issue (themed wizards) is May 8th.

Deadline for final submission is June 10th.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »
Steeds.... I am told Don Quixote had a steed of sorts.   Perseus had a famous Steed.  So did Han Solo and Michael Knight.

Can anyone think of more famous examples of stories that are about a man/woman and their horse/ride?