llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Authors pooping on authors  (Read 1639 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Authors pooping on authors
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
1. “There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the other is to read Pope."
- Oscar Wilde on Alexander Pope
2. “Miss Austen’s novels . . . seem to me vulgar in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in the wretched conventions of English society, without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson on Jane Austen
3. “He’s a full-fledged housewife from Kansas with all the prejudices.”
- Gore Vidal on Truman Capote
4. “He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”
- William Faulkner on Ernest Hemingway 

5. “Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?”
- Ernest Hemingway on William Faulkner

6. “[There] is no eminent writer...whom I can despise so entirely as I despise Shakespeare. The intensity of my impatience with him occasionally reaches such a pitch, that it would positively be a relief to me to dig him up and throw stones at him.”
- George Bernard Shaw

7. “...I read him for the first time in the early 'forties, something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it.”
- Vladimir Nabokov on Ernest Hemingway

8. "A great cow full of ink."
- Gustave Flaubert on George Sand

9. “Here are Johnny Keats' piss-a-bed poetry, and three novels by God knows whom... No more Keats, I entreat: flay him alive; if some of you don't I must skin him myself: there is no bearing the drivelling idiotism of the Mankin.”
- Lord Byron on John Keats

10. “I am reading Proust for the first time. Very poor stuff. I think he was mentally defective.”
- Evelyn Waugh on Marcel Proust
11. “Wordsworth was a tea-time bore, the great Frost of literature, the verbose, the humourless, the platitudinary reporter of Nature in her dullest moods. Open him at any page: and there lies the English language...in a large, sultry, and unhygienic box. Degutted and desouled.”
- Dylan Thomas on William Wordsworth

12. "The awful Whitman. This post-mortem poet. This poet with the private soul leaking out of him all the time. All his privacy leaking out in a sort of dribble, oozing into the universe."
- D.H. Lawrence on Walt Whitman

13. “An unmanly sort of man whose love-life seems to have been largely confined to crying in laps and playing mouse.”
- W.H. Auden on Edgar Allan Poe

14. “An idiot child screaming in the hospital."
- H.G. Wells on George Bernard Shaw

15. “…the king of nincompoops, the prince of the superficial, the anti-artist, the spokesman of janitresses, the Father Gigone of the editors of Siecle.”
- Charles Baudelaire on Voltaire
16. “His vast paragraphs sweat and struggle ... And all for tales of nothingness … It is leviathan retrieving pebbles. It is a magnificent but painful hippopotamus resolved at any cost, even at the cost of its dignity, upon picking up a pea which has got into a corner of its den.”
- H.G. Wells on Henry James

17. “A hack writer who would not have been considered a fourth rate in Europe, who tricked out a few of the old proven 'sure-fire' literary skeletons with sufficient local colour to intrigue the superficial and the lazy.”
- William Faulkner on Mark Twain

18. “Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”
- Mark Twain on Jane Austen
19. “That's not writing, it's typing."
- Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac

20. “My God, what a clumsy olla putrida James Joyce is! Nothing but old fags and cabbage stumps of quotations from the Bible and the rest stewed in the juice of deliberate, journalistic dirty-mindedness.”
- D.H. Lawrence on James Joyce
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
Re: Authors pooping on authors
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
Will Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway have a feud with each other and two male authors really hate Jane Austen is main take away. But seriously, I think all of them are just what I call style incompatibilities.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
That's your main takeaway? :)

Did you catch the "every" in "every time I read 'pride and prejudice'"?

These seem to me just humorous, tongue-in-cheek author sound-bytes and a few brilliant turns of the phrase (like #15 and #16) lol
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Some of them are written in prose like you said but yep, those were may main take-aways. And no, didn't catch the every time in P&P, seriously thought he didn't like P&P, it's not to everyone's taste, one gotta admit despite the fact that I really like Lizzy and Darcy together. Told you that I'm a serious-minded gal. Is this the first day you've known me? :o

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »
I have been exposed to too much internet (Tumblr, 4chan, and the rest of the cesspool) and I am really really really happy that this thread is just historical authors talking smack about each other and not something else

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
I have been exposed to too much internet (Tumblr, 4chan, and the rest of the cesspool) and I am really really really happy that this thread is just historical authors talking smack about each other and not something else
OMG I think I peed myself!!!!!!
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity