llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

Do you think this is a viable background?

yes
7 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 31, 2003, 06:37:15 AM

Author Topic: The world of Kerren  (Read 28059 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
#100 WOW!
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2003, 01:39:29 AM »
This is the 100th post in this thread.  I don't have my mojo back, but it is coming in spurts.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
#101 Guns
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2003, 02:37:03 AM »
Our happy colonists decided to come to a world without the technological and environmental horrors of Earth.  While they are living more simply than they originally expected (the lack of electricity to be specific), they still had technical adaptions not available to those of a lower technology level.

Our sailing ships are catamarans, fast and capable of handling Kerren Waters.

Our engineering still harkens back to all those cool developments in outdoors gear and such.

Yet, why aren't they carrying guns?  I mean it is not as cool or hightech as a blaster or laser, but not as primative as the spears we are carrying?

Ryders won't carry rifles, they can only use one handed weapons.  So handguns would be possible.  But why aren't colonists carrying rifles?

Will the bullets just annoy the megafauna who need serious tissue damage before their small brains even notice?

Is there no sulfer on the planet?  Nah this place is volcanicly active... so no dice on that.  

Since guns are more effective vs people than animals, especially hand guns, would the colonist not believe in them.. would it offend their new optimism about not needing weapons to use against each other?

The lack of metal is a good excuse? It is for everything else I guess.  And resin bullets would still work (and do today). But they have enough metal to make important things.  You think a few 50 cals would be important things.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2003, 01:58:08 AM »
No metal is always a good excuse. Maybe the polymers swell in the enviroment, taking away the few millimeter tolerence they need. I'm happy with no guns on Kerren.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
103 Guns... resolved.
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2003, 01:56:00 AM »
So generally there are no guns on Kerren.  

However, I know there is a secret stash somewhere. Just in case there comes a problem that Ryders can not imediately handle with their normal tools.  Thus if it ever came to war or invaders from space, out will pop the M-200s and shells will fly.  

I am sure in that same secret stash there are a few lasers/ blasters tucked away from the day of the ship.  

The colonists were supposed to be peaceful and eschew weapons. Yet, they were not supid.

The technolgy is there to make gunpowder, just not enough metal for guns.  Bombs would be possible.

Bangers (air dropped bomblets) would probably be used to disuade herds of Megafauna from heading towards the lands.  Not a weapon per say, but could be used as an anti-personel, anti-dragon weapon in a pinch.

Small bangers and a sling could be our evil weapon of choice.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2003, 02:47:24 AM »
No Guns
(Reason why not to use guns No.465 )

Of course they have a few cool advanced weapons aside, "just for the case". The thing is, most advanced weapons have some smart electronics inside, too. A weapon that attracts a great beast, harms it, but cannot kill it... no good.

(quoting Moonhunter)
...tucked away from the day of the ship...
(end of quote)

Please note the last words: The Day Of The Ship. It makes me think of a great anniversary, time to celebrate, but also to reconsider the last year, whether the colonists were true to their ideals, etc. Be careful to choose whether people give gifts to one another on this day, it may simply end up as X-mas in yet another guise. But if you want it so, no problem...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Landing Day
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2003, 02:54:28 AM »
Holidays... Doh! How could I forget.

Landing Day: This is the day the ship came to land on Kerren.  It is a day of general thanksgivings, getting together with families, new beginings (and forgiving people), and presents.  

Thank you Manfred

Founding Day: Each Warren/ Ward has its own founding day.  Some free clusters and villages have their own founding day.  It is a day that there is some kind of traditional party and silly game they play.  It could be a kite contest, it could be mountain climbing, log rolling, or dodging the stampeding herd of GIP (like running of the bulls except slower).

Solsticetide: This is the summer holiday on the longest day of the year, the
Summer solstice (Winter Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere).  Generally an excuse to drink and dance.  

Anything else?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#106 Religion
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2003, 03:43:27 AM »
The primary religion of Kerren is "Preservation." Dedicated to the preservation of society and community, Preservationism has strong roots in ecology movement.  As technology that can do more and more, it can destroy more and more.  

Preservers had a dispersed structure, much like a network.  There is no heirarchy or chain of command. You just are part of it or not.  Decisions are by concensus. You may think ecologicially, but you act locally, with the higher ideals in mind.  

Though Preservers do not see themselves acting in opposition to older religions or technology. They see themselves as the next step, to ensure the survival of community and society.  

One of Preservation's primary goals is the preservation and extension of planetary ecosystems.  Having failed on Earth, they are now trying to preserve the new colonial worlds.  

Better?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
More Holidays?
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2003, 01:49:32 AM »
Like we have holidays for great people in our history, perhaps they celebrate great days in the short history they have had there.

Dragon Ryder day. Day of great festivities and games to celebrate the first taming of a dragon.

Perhaps a few days to mourn. Like a day of rememberance of the first colony that got destroyed by the Zhan and made their presence something to be feared. A day of city wide training on the defense so everybody stays somewhat current on the dangers that are faced.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Well lets see..
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2003, 04:10:39 AM »
Onterio was the first Ryder.  He was Born on Kerren, so his birthday would a holiday.  Lets add a tragic note, that he died on his birthday... doing something dammably heroic.. like He and his old Edge fighting off a Pride of Grey Dragons (while the rest of the wings were out doing something else important).  

This would be important to Warren folk and less important to Cluster folk.  

To my thinking, none of the original colony sites were lost to Mega fauna, Zhan, or Zhan-mega fauna.  I am sure it came darn close. Those were the days when the Dragon Ryders were supported by the Hoppers (sub-orbital air lifters... kind of like the Eagles of Space 1999 except like cyberpunk/ blade runner vector thrust vehicles). Dragons plus machines with lasers makes for powerful attack force. (Of course, they did loose the cows, goats, and horses to predation early on).  

However, they have lost tons of villages and lesser clusters under construction.  (Once you have that 40 foot wall up and a cliff side, you have a fairly defensible position).  Population density inside a cluster is fairly high.  The lure of open space is why people migrate to villages and create new clusters.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Tournaments and lots of NPC activity
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2003, 02:29:03 AM »
In a Kerren game, you will have a large number of NPCs competing against other NPCs and Zhan falling.  Rather than rolling 1d20 for everyone every round (insert game mechanics of game system), like you would for PCs, another mechanic must be used.  

Rolls 3 1d6s  
If your NPCs are average, 3 or less is success. If they are above average 4 or less, exceptional 5, and of course below average 2 with novice as 1.

Count the number of successes...
3 full success
2 minor success
1 failure mixed with success
0 or more total failure.  

So you can run a tournament with 16 people, most of which are NPCs, quickly.  Player character events are played out with the tactical rules.  The NPCs (unless those who have dramatic reasons to win), roll 3 dice for each pair competing against each other.  The winner (Ryder with the most successes) goes on to the next round.  The GM can use the #of successes to determine the quality. (3 successes vs 0, a total route. 2 vs 2, a tough battle, both were hurt, and the judges had to decide).  If a great ryder fails the die rolls unexpectedly, come up with a reason like a saddle strap breaks or something random happened.  This gives you results and background color.  

For a zhan attack it would be 1d6 for each level of zhan storm.  Each success would count towards the successful strikes.  (You need 1-5 successful strikes per storm based on the size of the storm. The level determines the intensity.  

This mechanics can be used to simplify goons fighting goons, and other mass combats that you don't want to utilize the games specific rules.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2003, 05:30:39 AM »
I have read the term "Grey Land", and it got me thinking. Is there really no cure for Zhan? If not, it is likely the planet would be sooner or later overrun but it. Or is it only the dragons that burn it?

Perhaps there is some way local flora (or whatever) stops or slows the spreading. Nothing immediately useful for an infected human, but it slows up the cancer until the dragons find the spot and burn it. It might eventually be the base of a cure, if intensive scientific research is done.

It is likely that Kerren was "bombarded" with Zhan for millenia. The ecosystem should create some defense mechanisms against this invasion of alien life-forms. The dragons may be the most obvious part, yet not the only one.

Now the question of game usefullness remains. Say, the flora exudes a special toxin when in contact with Zhan. Maybe it is some 'suicide shot', deadly stuff that kills everything around, so don't come near to GreyLand yourself. It could be something harmful only to Zhan, so it could be a base for the before-mentioned cure. Or it is something potentially useful for Humans, perhaps some anorganic poison, for example Quicksilver? Think of something yourself. This could make approaching GreyLand valuable, as much as it is dangerous, and surely would be frowned upon publicly.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Grey zones...
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2003, 03:53:57 AM »
Zhan infection stops a lifeform's ability to breed. Zhan infection can only be transfered through a syrum transfter (bite saliva, injected toxins, etc).  So while "an area" can be infected, it eventually dies out and is reclaimed by native flora/ fauna.  

Remember zhan themselves are gloppy things that basically breakdown cell walls, and become part of the existing cell.. entering into a lifeform.  No true syrum transfer here, it is more like a viral infection- a dna exchange.  So a Zhan that can not find an animal to infect, eventually bleeds mass into the plants.. who become grey plants.  Greyzones are dangerous because the plants become predatory taking down animals with poisons, spikes, and the occasional trapping mechanism.

When plants are infected, they become more dangerous, but seldom predatory to other plants... therefore no syrum transfer. They do take out the occasional animal, most of which die, but not all (those that survive often become zhani). Animals infected become carnivores; original carnivores become really deadly.  They infect other creatures that survive their attacks (where spit or toxin), which is not likely as they are much more efficient as predators.

Note: urine is not normally considered syrum, in terms of transfer... so urinating zhan do not project the infection that way.

For zhan to take over the biosphere, you would need an herbavore to be infected and not become a carnavore.  As it eats leaves and grasses, it would infect those things.  If the herbavore ate regular plants and zhan infected ones (without succumbing to poisons and such), this herbavore zhani could spread the infection indefinately.  (Could happen in your saga)

I think the biosystem's defense against the Zhan is to shut down anything's ability to reproduce. Zhani are efficient predators, so if they could breed they would take over the food chain.  

Also the Dragon branch includes Hoppers (our veloceraptors), Gliders, SeaDragons, Mini-dragons, and probably one more.  All of them have increased para-sensory abilities because of the amount of nerves in their wing /glider /webbing.  These creatures are sensitive to warp (and electromagnetic fields) and things that came through warp (which allows them to know when Zhan are in the area).  (That extra neural web in their wings allow them to warp/ phase/ etc.).  So the dragons burn these things, but the other ones are known to attack them (and since they are able to sense their presence, more able to avoid zhani suprise attacks.  

Everything on Kerren is more sensative to electromagnetic fields than Terran creatures. Perhaps that is another part of the biosystem's defense.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Responding to the way back
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2003, 02:58:43 AM »
Wing Creation: I can not think of a way to create an "instant" wing, just roll dice on the chart. Each Dragon Wing of seven ryders will need to be defined groups of NPCs.

Okay I have.  It is just a huge chart with a number of generic unique traits that can be done.  Slap a Kerrenese name on it, determine its level, and build the character around the trait.  

Example characters or lists of Wings would be better.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
SCIENCE!
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2003, 06:15:15 AM »
Low oxygen and hot greenhouse conditions caused by intense volcanic activity may have caused widespread extinctions 250 million years ago and about 200 million years ago.

DINOSAURS FIRST APPEARED during a long period of low oxygen and therefore developed highly efficient breathing mechanisms that allowed them to thrive while many other species became extinct.
       The researchers arrived at the theory by tying in what is known about the physiology of dinosaurs with recent geological evidence suggesting that from 275 million to 175 million years ago, oxygen levels stayed very low — comparable to levels found now at altitudes of 14,000 feet (4,200 meters).
       Peter Ward, a University of Washington paleontologist, said he believes low oxygen and hot greenhouse conditions caused by intense volcanic activity may have caused widespread extinctions 250 million years ago, at the boundary between the Permian and Triassic periods, and about 200 million years ago, at the boundary between the Triassic and Jurassic periods.
       The Permian-Triassic extinction is believed to have eradicated 90 percent of all species on Earth, including most protomammals, the immediate ancestors of true mammals.
       The Triassic-Jurassic extinction killed more than half the species, including many mammals and mammal-like reptiles. But dinosaurs flourished.

PIECES OF THE PUZZLE
       Ward said he put together three pieces of the puzzle — the extremely efficient breathing systems of birds, the finding that many dinosaurs had similar physiology, and a report that came out earlier this year showing that oxygen levels were low during the two extinctions.
       ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Someone told me they had heard of or seen geese flying above (Mount) Everest — at 31,000 feet (10,000 meters),â€? said Ward, who presents his findings Tuesday to a meeting of the Geological Society of America.
       The air is thin up there.    
       ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“If you put a human at 30,000 feet they’d be very, very, quite dead. And the birds are not only up there, they are doing major heavy exercise,â€? Ward said
       Birds and dinosaurs both have holes in their bones. And many of the largest dinosaurs, such as brontosaurus or apatosaurus, seem to have had lungs attached to a series of thin-walled air sacs that may have acted something like bellows to move air through the body.
       ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“The reason the birds developed these systems is that they arose from dinosaurs halfway through the Jurassic period. They are how the dinosaurs survived,â€? Ward said.
       ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“The literature always said that the reason birds had sacs was so they could breathe when they fly. But I don’t know of any brontosaurus that could fly,â€? he added.  
         ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“However, when we considered that birds fly at altitudes where oxygen is significantly lower, we finally put it all together with the fact that the oxygen level at the surface was only 10 percent to 11 percent at the time the dinosaurs evolved.â€?
       Currently at sea level, atmospheric oxygen levels are 21 percent.

ADVANTAGE FOR DINOSAURS
       If giant dinosaurs had to breathe in a low-atmosphere environment, then such an efficient breathing system would have given them a survival advantage.
       ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You’d be really favored for survival in very bad, nasty, low-oxygen world,â€? Ward said.
       Dinosaurs dominated the world for hundreds of millions of years, perishing 65 million years ago. Most scientists say the impact of an asteroid or meteor was the catalyst for that extinction, although that hypothesis is currently the subject of fresh debate.

Ãƒâ€šÃ‚© 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

So does Kerren have a lower O2 content?  Does that explain the giant dinosaurs?  A little. The main reason they have dinosaurs on Kerren is because they are cool.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Re: The world of Kerren
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
Given a choice, I will only play games with a gift and flaw system (or whole point by system). For those of you that don't know this kind of system: gifts are small advantages or boons that the character can have, flaws are things which are detrimental to the character.  Gifts usually have a point cost, with a PC starting with X number of points (usually way to insufficient for most people's needs). Flaws are taken to offset that cost, as the more detrimental the flaw the more points it is worth.  I have grouped this Kerrenese specific gifts and flaws in categories of similar types. And if you don't get all the mechanics, no worries the descriptions are pretty vague enough that you can adapt them to your own game and taste.

GENRE

Social Status: Every character in Kerren has a social rank, a default trait. Social rank is a guideline as to who and what you are in Kerren Society, but even an Outlander could rise to be a Warden. It also does not automatically convey power or abilities, those must be given by society.  Every character has the campaign default (as set by the GM).  To have a higher social rank is a gift, a lower one a flaw.  The standard default is Warder Rank 2.  Using the standard default, to be an Outlander is a 2 trait flaw (0-2) while a HighBlood would be a two trait gift (4-2).  Many characters will take position sets, that grant them the INFLUENCE and Status for their positions, offset by their obligations. 
Rank 7    High Warden: The warden for the entire all world. 
Rank 6   High Councilor
Rank 5   Warden
Rank 4   HiBlood/ Wing Leader:
Rank 3   Well respected Warder (must be earned, can not be taken)
Rank 2   Warder
Rank 1   Cluster: Those that live in a village or town.
Rank 0    Outlander:
Rank –1   OutCast (See CHA Secondaries, this is not taken as a Rank Change)

Bonding: Every character in AtS has a Bonding level, a default trait. Bonding determines what level of bond, if any a character has to a dragon or animal.  The two most common default levels for a campaign are either 0 or 2.  If the default level is 2, and the character can not even be imprinted, it receives a 4 trait flaw (–2-2). A character normally starts with an appropriate bond beast for their level. (Sometimes players save a few extra traits from their creation so they can improve their bonding level immediately when the opportunity presents itself.  These extra traits can be listed as Karma: to be bonded.)

Rank 2   Dragon level Bond
Rank 1   Lesser level Bond, see OutWalker
Rank 0   None
Rank-1   Unable to be Bonded, Minimum allowed to be a Ryder. Can not
have BND AoE
Rank-2   Unable to be Imprinted. The character is unable to be a Ryder.

Imprinted (G1): This gift represents a dragon is imprinted upon the character, accepting it as a Ryder.  This is also a default trait.  If the campaign’s default is that characters are not automatically imprinted or imprintable, then to be imprinted is one trait gift.  (Sometimes players save one extra trait, just so they can be imprinted when the time comes.  This extra trait can be listed as Karma: to be imprinted.) To be bonded, you must be imprinted and have the Bond AoE or Gift.

Learning Karma (F?): This is a flaw that automatically is applied to characters who do not have enough traits to take the “upgraded” bonding, imprinting, or social rank (buying new traits or buying off old flaws).  (An Outlander who managed to be imprinted and bonded to a dragon that is part of a Ward, would need five traits.)  These become karmic flaws, expressing situations the character keeps getting into because of its inexperience. Think of them plotlines that a young character might experience in a fantasy story set in Kerren.   
Difficult Ryder, Social Gaff, Homesick, Confused, Annoyance nemesis: Councilor/ Rydermate/ Prime, Dragon gets sick

BODY
Other than some regional sets, there are no body traits that are specific to this milieu. If everyone is supposed to be of a given region or type, these regional sets can be adjusted. 

Pointers (S):  Those born of people from the Point, the large peninsula tend to be bigger and stronger than those in other areas. 
   PHY+2 “Large”, MPY-1 “weak bond strength”                 +.15x

Southern Women (S): The women of the Southern Lands are said to be the most beautiful in the world.
   DEX+1 “Graceful” +CHA+2 “Beautiful Faces”  “Beautiful hair”    +.30x

Westerners (S): Those of the Western Wards tend to have wavey chestnut hair, bright green eyes, and a certain quality, that makes them distinctive.
   DF: Westerner look  DEX+1, MEN+1                     +.25x

MENTAL
Bond Familiarities (G): Characters who are imprinted, but do not have the BND AoE, can take specific bond abilities to be performed with a Metaphysical DR. 

Bond Training (S) The character has received specialized training (or learned more in the basic training) in the skills and techniques of Bonding. For many bonded people, this is all the source of all their BND ranks.
BND+2                                        +.15x

Crafter Born (G2/S): Those who raised you were crafters and they taught you their craft.  You many not be a crafter now, but you still have memories of the time with your family. 
CRAFT+2 “Craft trait”  +.15x   or    CRAFT+1 “craft trait +TEC+1 “Trait” +.25x

Healer Trained (G2/S):  You have had some notable training in the Healer’s role when you were younger.  It could be you had a healer parent or friend, were an apprentice Healer or Healer assistant, or was a patient quite frequently.  The player must always define the reason for their experience. 
SCIENCE+1 “Healing”, DEDUCTION+1 “Diagnosis”, COMMUNICATION+1 “Talking Out Problems”  +.3x

Outland Born (G2/S):  You may not be an Outlander now, being accepted as part of a Cluster or Ward, but you spent most of your life away from a Cluster or Warren.  This makes you a bit odd, but good at surviving where other are afraid to go.  This secondary is also very common for current Outland and Wilds folks. The player must always define the reason for their experience.
SURVIVAL+2, PERCEPTION+1, ATHLETIC+1   +.4x

Saga Training (G1/S): The character has a greater than average knowledge of the Sagas.  The character might of been exposed to more sagas, have a knack for memorizing them, or been drilled by a relative. The player must always define the reason for their experience. The G1 trait would be a KNW-0 Sagas familiarity. 
   KNOWLEDGE+2 "Sagas” +COMMUNICATION+1 “StoryTelling”   +.3x

Talent (G1/S):  The character has an natural talent for music and storytelling.  There is no such thing as a “professional” entertainer in Kerren society.  Everyone is expected to contribute some entertainment to festivals/ events/ and long evenings equal to their talents. People with this gift or set will often be given invitations to functions they normally would not be invited to.  (Sometimes the giving of gifts or promises will bribe someone to perform more often or for longer duration than they would otherwise.)
   PERFORMANCE+2 +STATUS+1 “Talented”            +.25x

Trader Family (G1/S):  The character grew up in a Trader family.  They know all about trade and credit.  They may still have some credit left with their family or trader cousin.  A player must always define the reason for their experience. 
   INFLUENCE+1 Credit, BUSINESS+0 Barter, CONTACTS-0 “Traders”                +.2x

Warren born (G1/ S): The character was born and live some time in a warren, but because they were not imprintable nor high blooded, they lost their place in the Warren. 
   BKG: Warren (2), Bond Rank –2                     -0x or -.1x

Wing Leader(G/S) See Archetype and Experience secondaries. Can only be taken with GM permission. 

Zhan experience (S):  At sometime past, the character has a brush with a Zhan Monster.  As a gift or positive set, it expresses that you learned from the encounter and will be able to deal with future encounters.  As a flaw or negative set (negative EP MOD), it expresses that you still fear the monsters (though you may hide that fear well).  Characters with a negative Zhan experience have the ability to sense Zhan and Monsters in there immediate area, with a simple MPY PER DR.  While this might improve their survival chances, it could lead to paralysis and fear when some is not immediately needed.    Example Parts for sets
   ATHLETIC+1 “Running” (3)         Fear of Zhan Bite (-2)
   DECEPTION+2 Hiding   (4)      Must Hide when confronted by Monster (-3)
   L-COMBATIVE+2 “Fighting Zhan” (3)              L-COMCOMBATIVE-2”Fighting Zhan” (-3)
   PERCEPTION+2 “Paranoid” (3)      Mute in presence of Zhan (-2)

EMOTIONAL
Brash (G/F): A common Ryder emotional trait. 

Belief in Justice and the Law (G/F): All Ryders and Highborns are supposed to enforce the common law. Certain ones dedicate themselves to justice, fairness, and equality through the law.  They will pursue those who flee justice.  There dedication to the people makes them quite popular. Those with this trait receive +1 status and this reputation.   

Dedicated  (G/F): The character is always striving to perfect itself and its skills.  The character spends more time in training and practice than almost anyone else.  Those who are dedicated frequently become Wing Leaders and Edges. 

Insider/ Fear of Open Space/Wilds (G/F): Most people, including Outlanders, are cautions of the wild areas, because of the dangerous animals and the possibility of Zhan Monsters.  Many living in Clusters and Warrens take this caution to a greater extreme.  They will avoid leaving their safe places and will distrust those who do. 

Romantic (G/F): Heart Bonds, Love triangles, unrequited love, affairs, and first loves are all things of the Sagas. The character has a belief in the power of love and attraction over all other things. 

Reckless (G/F):  A common Ryder emotional trait.  Similar traits are extreme confidence and over confidence. 

Skyfright/ Fear of Flying/ Heights (G/F): This trait could spell the end of a career for a Ryder or Ryder candidate. 

Support of XXX  (G/F): The character is dedicated to a certain faction in the Warren or Council. People will do anything to support their ideals.  Remember that the Wings of the World campaigns center around human drama, as well as the fairly common Zhan threat.

The Small Fear/ Fear of Enclosed places (G/F): Warders live in Warrens, caves and living spaces carved out of cliff and mountain sides.  These are the places Dragons wish to live, so must their Ryders. Some parts of the warrens are tight and confining, dark too if the light moss does not grow there.  If you can not live there, you can not be a warder.  If the frequency is great, the buildings of a Cluster or even small huts can cause discomfort is you remain in them long enough, and the character should seek a career as a Wilder. 

“The Vow” (G2/F3):  When a person has lost everything they care about to a Zhan, they are empty and lost.  The void is frequently filled with anger and hatred towards the Zhan.  The Vow is that the character will hunt down all Zhan monsters and kill them, or die trying, so no one else has to feel this empty.  Those who have the Vow will sacrifice anything and anyone (except an innocent) to destroy a monster.  Ryders may destroy Zhan in the course of their duties, but a Slayer lives only to destroy them.  (This is required if the character has the Slayer Archetype.)

“Wild thing” (G3/F3): Wild thing is often used to describe Ryders.  It expresses the idea that they live a dangerous life and live it to the fullest.  They take life and death chances on a whim, confident to the point of overconfident, and will do anything to complete their assignment... even kill themselves.  In their off hours they are rowdy, hedonistic, and nearly out of control (since they are the ones enforcing common law.. they don’t bend it too much when they are off duty).  This “code of behavior” is a full time life and death occupation, hence its worth.

Zhan Hatred towards (G/F): The hatred of Zhan is an understandable emotion.  Those with this trait take it to less rational extremes. 

Zhan, Fear of (G/F): A very common trait, as any sane person would be fearful of powerful monsters. 

METAPHYSICAL
Bonding: See Genre

Chirps (S):  The character has a non traditional bond with a Chirp, a microsized dragon.  Unlike most non-traditional bonds, the character can also be bonded with a Dragon (if they have that Bond Level).  However, this does not stop the Dragon (or another Dragon) from occasionally trying to snack on its hyper little cousin.
   L-Bond+2 “Empathy w/Chirp”                      +.1x

Dragon Speech (G3):  This generalized bond ability that allows the character to NearSpeak to all Dragons. 

Dragon of Interest (G1/F1): Your dragon has several “notable” traits.  The Dragon has two more notable traits that are selected or rolled for.  If this is a flaw, the pair of you will continuelly have to keep proving yourself. 

Empathy (G2): The character has the ability to sense the emotions of the living thing around it with a MPY+PER DR.  The character can project its feelings to others, so they honestly know what the character is feeling, by taking concentration action, two points of manna, and a MPY+3 DR.

Gifted (S): The character has a natural gift with Metaphysical skills. Many family lines are gifted as well.
   Gifted  MPY+2 and three traits to be applied to MPY, BND, or MPY gifts     +.3x
   Gifted Bloodline: MPY+1                   +.2x
   Gifted Bloodline: MPY+2 STA-1 “odd”, Irrational EMO trait –2   +0x

Greater Beast Bond (G1-3): See Genre. The character has a non traditional bond with a non Dragon that is unusual.  Most non Dragon bonds are with Pet Beasts (Dogs, Cat, Hawks) or Chirps.  Sometimes bond beasts are non pet beasts. Some of these beasts are nearly wild.  The cost of the non pet beast gift is based on its size and abilities (and GM’s abilities and campaign). 

HeartBond (G2/S): The character can have a special bond with a companion, loved one, or family member.  This functions like a beast bond to the loved one (excluding the warp ability).  The character must take appropriate bond traits to work bond abilities with their heartbond.
   Heartbond  L-BND+2 “Loved One”                  +.1x

Imprinted: See Genre

Learning Karma: See Genre

Mind Blocked (F2): The character is incapable to achieving any level of mental communication with its partner.  The character will have either the ANI AoE or BND but unable to use or have the following traits or basic abilities: Empathy, NearSpeak, See, Share, and Slip. 

Open Talent (G4):  The character has a “Unique” talent, the thing of elder sagas.  These talents are not as reliable as “normal” bond related talents, but allow the character to do things other only dream off.  Known open talents found in the Sagas are, precognition, post cognition, the ability to sense the recent dead, telekinesis (about 1 Kg), the ability to read surface thoughts, and the ability see any bond a living thing might have.  Some GMs require characters have talent or talented bloodlines to take an open talent.    These gifts are hugely expensive. If a normal gift costs one to three points, this costs 4 or moe.

Polybond (G2+1-5): A character may have more than one bond beast.  While not common (it requires a two trait gift plus a bond level), this is a known phenomena in the Sagas.  A polybond gets one beast for free, and must take every additional animal as if it was a gift (and must have a bond level that will allow them to bond with the animals chosen).  A dragon ryder with a chip beast will need a G2 and G1 gift, to have a bonded dragon and chip.  Remember that a Dragon considers most PetBeasts as food and Greater Beast as a threat.  Such mixed bonds usually end up badly.
Chirp (G1),  PetBeast (G2), Greater Beast (Cost of the greater bond beast plus one trait.), Dragon, if you want two dragons or already have a bond (G5)

Strong Bond (G1): The character has a stronger bond than most, receiving a +1 MOD to all BOND DRs. 

Strong Power (S): The character has a bond power that is significantly stronger than the character’s normal bond level. 
   L-BONDND+3 “trait”                     +.2x

Weak Bond (F1): The character has a weaker bond than most, receiving a -1 MOD to all BOND DRs. 

Weak Power (S): The character has a common bond power that is significantly weaker  than the character’s normal bond level. 
   L-BND-3 “trait”                                 -.2x

CHARISMA
While there is always the threat of Zhan and Monsters, most of the drama in a AtS campaigns come from human drama.  People have needs and desires (sometimes irrational) and relationships (which don’t always make sense). Groups often form around mutual needs or desires.  As groups or individuals with opposing ideals come into conflicts, the results can be far reaching, especially if those involved are wardens, councilors, or primes.

Age (G/F): The sagas are full of teenagers who have changed the world.  The most famous is Onterio of FirstDown, the first dragon Ryder and eventually the first Warden and High Warden. Ryders are frequently chosen as teenagers. 

Allies (G) Ryder, Warden, Councilor, Edge, Wing Warden An entire wing, a Prime, all are possible allies.  They should be part of the same factions as the character. 

Animal Follower (G 1-2): To have a super pet, that the character is not bonded to, requires this trait.  To have a pet beast who is normal, is free in terms of traits. 

Credit (G/F/S):  This is the equivalent of wealth secondary. 

Ex-Ryder (F3): Your mount died, but you survived. You are unwilling or unable to take on a new mount. You are able to live in the Warren, and do not have to have any real function.   You must have the dragon bond level to have this flaw.

Family (G/N/F/S) Related to Highbloods, common Cluster folk, or Outlander.  Many of these are found in the MEN secondaries.  Sometimes individual families will have traits or A-Lv MODs that every member has. Many GMs design family sets for every family in a Cluster or Ward.
   Important family  INFLUENCE+1 “Warren or Cluster”, STA+1 “Family name”
   Gifted Bloodline: METAPHYSICAL+1                   +.2x
   Clan Torkin PHY+1 “Wiry” and EMO: Bully –1                   +.05x

Famous/Influenceamous deed (G/F): The character has done something that has become a local story, and could some day evolve into being mentioned in a saga. People will always expect you to live up to your story.  Two times the number of secondary traits is the number of reputation points the event is worth. 

Female (G/N/F): Women in Kerren society have expected roles (Wing Warden, Scale, Healer, and Crafter).  They are not prohibited by law from taking other roles, but only by tradition.  Some women are accepted in these roles, once they prove their worth (neutral level).  Some women are automatically accepted in these masculine roles (gift), while others are never truly accepted in these men’s roles, no matter how well they perform (flaw). 

Fostered (G/F1): Some children are “given” or “traded” to other families. While this is most commonly done between high blood families, crafters are now seeing the advantages of the tradition.  These children adopted and grow up in their new family, with their new responsibilies. Fostering allows for diversity in the gene pool and a chance for the child to “step up” a level in social status.  Fostered children don’t have to have the same regional sets as everyone else around them.  If they have the gift, they still have connections to their old Ward and social groups (contacts).  If they have the flaw, they have lost their connection to others and are not treated well in their new family. 

Goods (G/N/F/S): If the character is to start with a metal weapon, harness, or notable item, they must have a goods gift. 

Heir (G/F/S): A prime position, high blood, a wardenhood, a shop, or a given weapon.

High blood (G2/S): You are a member of one of the prestigious families that can claim having a warden or a famous Ryder ancestor. This allows them to live in the Warren, rather than living in the Cluster, even if they are not Ryders. Ryders are frequently drawn from high blooded families.  However, there are many high blood families that have not contributed a Ryder in several generations.  If those families were not High blood, they would of asked to leave the warren. 
INFLUENCE+2 “Credit” or “Warren”, STA+2 High Blood.            +.4x

Nemesis (F):  Where there is human drama, there are nemesis.  If you believe in a faction or group’s belief, you are opposed by those who oppose the faction or group.  There could be those that oppose you for who you are, or because they do not like where you came from, or that your presence makes them nervous. Find someone who you think opposes you or leave this blank/ open to allow the GM to choose the secret nemesis.

Obligation (G/F):  All positions have a built in obligations.  Those that do not meet their obligations do not receive their share of foods and goods from the Ward’s or Cluster’s stores. This secondary is used for those that have extra obligations. 

Omega (F2): The character has the lowest social standing of anyone in the Warren (or social group).  This is the person that everyone can kick or ignore.  They have a reputation for being a screw up and useless.  If a warren folk, this reputation extends through the entire ward.

Outcast (F3): A ryder who has been “cast out” by the council, usually for some major criminal or traitorous action. Their dragon normally comes with them.  They can not stay in a Warren or Ward. They roam the countryside as either brigands or knights errant, so most people are very wary of them. 

Outlander (F1): You are seen as strange, being someone who actually wants to live away from a Cluster or Warren.  Appropriate for anyone who wants to live in a village or an active wilder or outwalker. 

Patron (G): As per ally.

*Position (S): These are sets that contain the INFLUENCE, STATUS, and obligations to a group (Wing, Council, Warren, Ward, or Family), that allow the character to do the job or position as determined by their social status. (Some will include secrets, blackmails, allies, contacts, patrons, to round them out.)  Note that some characters will not have all the power they need to do their job, while others will have more power than they should.  It all depends on their choice. 
   INFLUENCE+1, STATUS+1  Obligation to Wing/ Ward (-1)             +.15x
   INFLUENCE+3, STATUS +1 Obligation to Warren/Ward (-2)            +.3x
   INFLUENCE+5, STATUS +3  Obligation to Council/Kerren (-2), Obligation to allies (-2), Nemesis: Political Enemies (-2)                     +.5x
Some GM’s automatically grant these abilities as basic abilities to those with the social ranks.  That is why position sets are optional.

Reaction (G/F/S): Dragon bite, Zhan scar, Lame limbs (from falls), dueling scar.

Ryder by Vote (F2): A council member pushed the character successfully through the ryder test. The character may or may not be truly qualified to be a ryder, nor have any talent to be bonded or even imprinted, yet they can live in the Warren and be counted as a Ryder, dragon imprinted or not.  The other Ryders and Warren folk tend tend to look down upon Vote Ryders.  Ryders by Vote often have to work twice as hard to get equal recognition. 

Sigma (F): The character has the reputation as a troublemaker. In Kerren society, the troublemaker frequently is trying to be the Alpha, the leader, but nobody (or very few) wants them to be. 

Social Status (G/F/S) See Genre

Soft male (G/F/N): While it is not against the law for a male to be a wing warden, scale, or healer, it is very against tradition.  A male who takes a traditionally female role is frequently looked down upon as weak and less than a real man. (While the people of Kerren do not condemn alternative lifestyles when lived quietly, such rumors will circulate around the character.) It is also assumed that they can not perform as well as a female in those role. Some men are accepted in these roles, once they prove their worth (neutral level).  Some men are automatically accepted in these feminine roles (gift), while others are never truly accepted in these women’s roles, no matter how well they perform (flaw).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©