llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What the Citadel has Become  (Read 6536 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Longspeak

• SJW: Social Justice Weaver
  • Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Article Guild Elite Article Guild Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
Re: What the Citadel has Become
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
http://strolen.com/commentrules
I like it.

My only thought is, if I read a sub, things like grammar WILL impact how I feel about it. If I don't explain that, I'm just giving a reduced rating for "no reason." I suppose I can say "3.5/5 Will provide details on request." Or just not vote on those subs?

Offline Longspeak

• Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Article Guild Elite Article Guild Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »
In thinking about this...

I don't know the software...

Can you make a submission type that can be viewed, that would appear on the front wall, but that cannot be voted on?

If there was a mechanic to let it work by subtypes, that would be the best way.
The site points out when people want collaboration. What about a sub type that asks for extra critiquing? Or a type that prevents voting entirely, but still shows on the main page?

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
I think something we all should agree on:SOMETHING needs fixing
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »
Stubs use to be on the front page. You can make a stub as long a you want and there is no voting on it. You can also block comments I believe.

Thoughts on why the site doesn't have a large community. Here are several hypothesizes, no data to back this up, but they could be tested. 

1) Site resists being a true RPG site by denying the use of game specific contents, but site also tries to resist being a fiction site.  Thus doesn't appeal to the majority of either group (writers or gamers).  I suggest embracing both sides.  Allow the site to become a repository for character sheets, have system specific tabs and/or regions.  This would make the site more accessible to most gamers.  They already know what Traveller is (for example) and will want to participate. On the Other side embrace prose.  If we get the eBook out. (Losing hope there) People who may read it may be attracted to this website as a platform for writing. 

2) Not enough humor. There is an article regarding rhetorical criticism call "Gandhi in the Comic Frame" by Cheree Carlson.  I am sure some of you have heard of it.  If I may paraphrase when things are presented in the comic frame there are grey areas that become accessible, and allow people to approach ideas and situations more readily with less fear of major consequence. Even the art of the site is very stark and serious.  Perhaps a lighter presentation and theme would make people feel more invited. Of course what is funny...

3) Pacing of the site is too slow and doesn't provide enough feedback quickly.  Take this guy https://strolen.com/author/Arracor.  Joined at the end of last year. Wrote some nice stuff was active for several months.  But his stuff didn't get a lot of feedback. Furthermore people were not interested in discussing his ideas.   Some people just want to post, get a thankyou and move on but I imagine most people want to discuss their ideas.  Roleplayers and writers tend to be an intellectual group.  I imagine they want some discussion. So we have twenty active members.  If just half of them commented on the subs of newbies quickly than perhaps that we bring about more interaction.  When was the last time a sub got ten comments that weren't about somebody being angry.  This is what I meant by Halo around the newbies. Get some engine to get that stuff commented on.   

4) More utility content.  Another website I frequent is http://www.myth-weavers.com.  They have a lot of gaming tools.

5)Network with other sites.  Reach out to the admin folk on other websites and start hosting a friends link page.  See if we can get trans-site colabs going.

6) Redo the level system so those weird competitive people feel they have chance to make it to level 20.  Have the levels cycle over, either annually or monthly so you restart at level one.     Real writers like Scras and Longspeak don't give a crap about exp. and the ones that would be pushed to increase the pacing of participation.

7) More structured group projects.  Take Decathros for example, should have been a group project.  Yet not many authors incorporated ideas from other authors in their work.  If they did they would have had more of community. What if we had a write a Cosmic Era story game or write a Cold Forged Story Game?

anyway brain storming.  But I wasn't complaining about the site, I accept the site for what it is.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:23:08 AM by axlerowes »

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
@axle- I'm losing hope on ebook too

I've always thought that the non-specific nature of the site is a drag. I remember being'warned' that one of my subs came too CLOSE to having stats without a stat. If we sectioned off the site we could have our cake and eat it too.Catering to the 20 of us that are here is not working.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »
yeah, if not a game specific tab or region, how about game specific cross references.

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
Oh, what about a section for game stats that is hidden(on the sub) unless you click on it?

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »
This is probably the wrong place to say this cos it's really abt the ebook but don't lose hopes, Axle and Aramax. I'm still whittling away on my story (yes, whittling now cos I'm back to FT hours and also taken up tutoring so that eats further into writing time) but I'm still progressing.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Longspeak

• Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »
I want to hammer a point home. I LOVE this site.

I came here completely at random from a link in someone's signature line on RPG.Net. I saw people sharing ideas in a way I had never had the nerve to do outside of my gaming group and my daughter. Seriously, not even my WIFE had seen most of what I've written before. But what I saw here made me think, 'yeah, okay, I can put myself out there.'

And in two years I've put up more stuff for the general public to read than I had dared to do in the 46 years before that. The feedback - both the positive and the constructive - has kept me interested. I said above the feedback from PoisonAlchemist was the best, but I didn't say all the discussion sparked my my organic NPC sub thrilled me. Not the positive feedback, which is nice, but the actual discussion.

So yeah, I get where Strolen is coming from, and in thinking about it, I am coming to agree. I still think a certain polish is good, and encouraging people to find that polish is good, but Strolen, you're right when you say the primary focus should be on sharing ideas.

So... how can I help?

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »
I want to hammer a point home. I LOVE this site.

I came here completely at random from a link in someone's signature line on RPG.Net. I saw people sharing ideas in a way I had never had the nerve to do outside of my gaming group and my daughter. Seriously, not even my WIFE had seen most of what I've written before. But what I saw here made me think, 'yeah, okay, I can put myself out there.'

And in two years I've put up more stuff for the general public to read than I had dared to do in the 46 years before that. The feedback - both the positive and the constructive - has kept me interested. I said above the feedback from PoisonAlchemist was the best, but I didn't say all the discussion sparked my my organic NPC sub thrilled me. Not the positive feedback, which is nice, but the actual discussion.

So yeah, I get where Strolen is coming from, and in thinking about it, I am coming to agree. I still think a certain polish is good, and encouraging people to find that polish is good, but Strolen, you're right when you say the primary focus should be on sharing ideas.

So... how can I help?
Love this, Ditto

Offline Morningstar

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
One comment - we may very well publish some of these at some point, and I will day its a lot easier selecting subs closer to publication ready :)

Got to say right off the top, if anyone on this site is looking to get material published any way other than self-publishing, folks got to have the stomach for a whole hell of a lot harsher criticism than I've dished out.  Professional game companies aren't going to coddle you or give you prizes for good intentions.  They want professional-quality work, done according to their preferences, and I've never known an editor to break his back coming up with sweet euphemisms to avoid saying "This isn't good enough."

But with all of that, obviously Strolen thinks I'm a meanie-meanie for saying anything negative.  Not that that stops OTHER people.  I've put up less than a dozen subs, and I've had comments like:

"The characters, as a whole though, were not well developed as literary or RPG resources."
"Also we don’t get a lot of visceral or visual details regarding most of the characters."
"Also some of your sentences are kind rough." [sic]
"GM protected goofy NPCs that the PCs cannot touch just aren't very realistic, are they?"
"Genre / setting mixups is my primary pet peeve, and a huge bringer of ruin of the atmosphere."

So cut the crap, Strolen.  I've seen comments like these all over, and you coming off like no one does anything but toss rose petals here is just a leetle bit dishonest.  For myself, I'll rebut, but I've yet to do any public "Why are they PICKING ON MEEEE" whining: if I put my stuff up for review, then I expect people will review it, and I expect that not everyone will like my stuff, and that they might even tell me why.  Anyone who finds criticism to be "ego crushing," as you phrase it, is too d**n thin-skinned to put their work up on the Internet for others to review.

(You might also touch up on the definition of "rude."  It's NOT "He said something I don't like!"  It's phrases like "You can't write for crap" or "What's the matter with you, is that the best you can do?")

I'll just touch on your original rant on another couple things.  The sub wasn't written for me?  No kidding.  So what?  It's up for public review, isn't it?  So I get to say why I think it's deficient, according to my prejudices, the exact same way other posters have commented on my subs, and from the same motives.  Other commenters accepted it for what it was?  That's them.  I'm me.  We're not all clones who all think alike, parrot the exact same phrases and want the exact same things.  Is that what you expect of people?

One last thing before I take off -- and no, Strolen, you don't have to worry about me commenting OR posting ever again.  This is YOUR site.  YOU get to set the rules.  YOU get to set up the format.  If you don't like that this is too competitive a place, then YOU can cut out the voting element.  If you don't want any negative comment, then YOU get to post something prominently saying so.  If you think this is just a place to share ideas, and you don't want any criticism at all, then YOU get to disable comments, or change the settings so that the more thin-skinned people can do that for themselves if they will.  If you think the site's not newbie-friendly (gosh, however would anyone get THAT idea?), and you don't want people thinking that this is some insular clique who gets their hackles up whenever someone who hasn't been here a decade says anything that irks anyone, then it's up to YOU to change the tone, and put in something like Wikipedia's "Don't bite the newbies" rule.

And if YOU don't feel like bothering with any of that, and you'd rather wring your hands, then it's on you.

Out of here.   :piratedown:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:41:24 PM by Morningstar »

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
sigh

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Longspeak

• Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »
I hope you're still peeking. I think you fail to distinguish a few things, Morningstar.

First, Strolen doesn't "come off like no one throws anything but rose petals." His entire point is pretty much the opposite of that. He's troubled because the site has become a place where blunt and overcritical feedback is the norm and he wants it to be a place where ideas are shared and feedback is supportive. You know... HELPFUL. Strolen, I hope I've gotten that right. :P

Second, all of your examples of feedback given to you were less rude than your feedback on First of Cities and in other places I've seen you give feedback. It's the tone, not the thought, which bothers me.

And... I know rude. I've done my share. I'm not working in a vacuum here. Your words on the First of Cities pale to my worst feedback. There's at least one member here who can probably tell you that, and at least one other who isn't here to tell you anymore.

Edited to add: For clarity... I agreed with nearly all of your opinions on that sub. I disagreed only with the tone. For me, at least, the issue isn't "criticism." It's "unhelpful criticism."

But the answer is to realize that you also also not working in a vacuum. Those are real people you're slamming. Realize the intent of the work posted here, and to provide feedback accordingly. That was Strolen's intent in making this thread. Not "This is what the site is and you are bad for not going along," but "This is what I want the site to be, and I hope you will all help."

So, for what it's worth, I think leaving in response to this is a mistake. Instead, realize the intent of this entire thread is to FIX the perceived problems, to change the atmopshere, and try to be a bit more constructive when you offer feedback.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:37:12 PM by Longspeak »

Offline Morningstar

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
So, for what it's worth, I think leaving in response to this is a mistake. Instead, realize the intent of this entire thread is to FIX the perceived problems, to change the atmopshere, and try to be a bit more constructive when you offer feedback.
You lucked out, I popped back in to add a comment about rudeness I forgot to put in.

And no.  That's NOT the intent of the thread.  Strolen didn't go off on a general tendency -- he went off on MY comment.  He didn't call other people out -- he called ME out.  Let's be honest here, shall we?

For the rest, I'm sticking to the end of my post.  This is Strolen's site.  If he wanted change, there'd be change.   If he wanted a different atmosphere, he can make there be one.  This isn't the first time someone's thrown up his hands and walked, because I see posts going back YEARS on the same riff.  He's had YEARS to change things.

I've no idea why Strolen hasn't bothered to put in that effort.  Maybe it's just easier to carp about something than to do something about it.  But see?  The rude, mean, nasty poster is going away, and the clique can be back to business as usual.  You get what you want.  Why aren't you happier about it?

Offline Longspeak

• Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
Okay. See ya.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes,
smart enough to profit from them,
and strong enough to correct them.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »

Great time for platitudes!!!!!

The fights are so fierce cause the stakes are so low.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
A quick reply to axlerowes pretty good bullet list. This is partially sarcastic because I only have a few minutes.

1) Not a true RPG and not a true Fiction site.   Ummm. Correct. Hit it exactly on the head and exactly where I want it. Next version will have blogs and a better way to post fiction, but it remains anti-stat and core idea only. I just don't want to have to deal with it and I, Strolen, hate stats....so there is that.

2) Not enough humor: https://strolen.com/viewing/Whiffle_Accelerator

3) Aura around newbies for feedback: That does make sense. Maybe an aura for lack of comments on a sub and it stays on the frontpage till subdued. Red meaning none going down to orange or brown and transparent...not promising, just thinking out loud. Interesting thought and it would grab attention...hmmm

4) Gaming tools. Our random generators need to be better utilized in the site. They are simply awesome, but neglected....the shame in that for me!

5) Network with other sites: I have a "sponsored" type submission thing that I have been working on for about 6 years. Basically allows another site to post their contact on our pages with the ability to do some branding for themselves and link back to their site. I have no problem sending people off this site to other content and would love to expand that idea.

6) Level adjustments....hmmmmm. At one time I was actually thinking of it like health. You have to stay active to maintain your level. The longer you are gone, the lower your XP falls. When you come back, you can grow it back faster but you still start out as a lower level vs. visiting the site weekly or whatever. But playing with levels a little more is a possibility that will require a unanimous decision.

7) Group projects. This leads me to Wikis and Regions. Both not perfect by any stretch in implementation, but yes. Better collaboration ability...I would agree.

One thing I would like to concentrate is on World Building and the ability to connect all these subs. Whether you are building one from scratch or you are visiting and simply collecting stuff you want to use. Regions was a partial solution to that but I never did get around to making it good. I would like World Building, Guilds and Fiction to be two pieces of the new site that really get a workover so it is actually simple to use.

But you make a lot of excellent points, truly. No real answers for a lot of them but good stuff to chew on!

Level 3

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »
This is another diversion off the main topic of this thread but Morningstar has already worked off on the site and besides Strolen you made the subject line so broad and I'm really just responding off your latest comment, one dot point anyway.

Okay premable aside, I think this is my third time mentioning this (it might have been glossed over cos I always mention them in the feature suggestion portion of the forums): on the collaborative projects, can you add Wikis to the drop-down on the main page please? Currently, we are not seeing much use for this format cos we can't search for Wikis as a sub type in any way. So far as I know, besides the 30 gifts from (insert fantasy race) subs that sparked off this format in the first place, only me, Val and Muro had ever posted up a Wiki. Instead of being a means of inviting Citadel-wise collab (at least, that's what I thought it was promoted to the status of a new sub. type), it became used as: 1) a means to invite more entires for scrolly type subs: 30s and items scrolls re me and Muro the "Wiki duo" as I term the two of us; 2) a means for Val to put up all these utility stubs with general applicability to all Strolenati (all collab requested subs, all Freetext Friday freetexts etc.) and then to 'outsource' responsibility for updating them which hasn't been a very successful attempt cos only I ever do so when I'm in one of my 'service to the Citadel' mindsets. And that's it. So effectively, we have this sub type called Wikis that stay 'invisible ' to the Strolenati cos once a Wiki is not new anymore, it doesn't stay up but goes down into the backpile of 'old subs' and no body can find it again otherwise they go through some other of torturous routine to find a particular Wiki (everytime I tried to update one of Val's Wikis, I go to his profile, click on the Articles he wrote and then have to sift thru to find the one I want, I don't think that's any fun for anyone else).

Human (Level 2)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
Wiki freetext once you find them?

Eventually, sure, can probably do that. Priority level...not sure. Nothing in the next two weeks though. I think we almost need another thread that breaks down all the big type items that we will want identifiers for. I can build identifiers off freetext though, that is the best way to do it. All the Guilds are freetext that I just added a snippet to in order to show a small graphic. Could do the same with wiki without much work.

If you are willing to identify them, I am willing to prioritize a small graphic and have that show up on listings. You would still use the "wiki" freetext (tag) to find them though.

Edit: and yes, if you wanted wiki on the dropdown, I could add them. Simply be a link to the "wiki" tag page. Easy enough.

Level 3

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Or, we could have a Meta sub...... REGION!

Bwah ha ha ha :)

Seriously. We could.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Do it. You are all talk. :P

Level 3

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »
Nah, don't do it, it's too big a category, seriously. We have 2 types of meta subs: meta subs on Citadel function (eg. voting that you already have enough of) and meta subs on world building. Mixiing them together seems to me weird.

Human (Level 2)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
Regions is really just a way to organize submissions without writing a codex. Allows you to have them all in the right column as you go through them for easy reference. Could be useful if you are on a wiki binge. :)

Level 3

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
Yes,we have a number of non-region Regions, and not all created by me.

Eg.  https://strolen.com/regions/Of_Books_and_Things or https://strolen.com/regions/Science_Fiction
or closer to my point - https://strolen.com/regions/The_Workshop

And now we have Wikis - https://strolen.com/regions/21

Only found one so far, so point em out or add em. I"ll pretty up the region later.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:51:04 PM by Strolen »

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®