llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Greetings From An Experienced Yet Doubtful DM  (Read 909 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
  • Where's the Mountain Dew!?
    • Awards
Greetings From An Experienced Yet Doubtful DM
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
Greetings everyone! I am 18 years old and live in the U.S. I have been the DM for my friends for about 2-3 years now. I like to think that I'm pretty good at it, as they also say that I am, but when I come up with ideas or plot ideas, sometimes I second-guess myself and just toss the idea(s). We play Pathfinder, although I have never used the Golarion setting. Because of my limited group of friends, I usually only DM a game with 3 PCs maximum, and sometimes even just 1 PC, but usually just with my one friend who is better at roleplaying than the others. My biggest fault is that I have trouble coming up with fresh ideas and making a campaign compelling and interesting enough to make me want to continue it instead of drawing up five new worlds or considering ten new campaign ideas just because I am growing bored of an idea I once thought was great, and then I just feel like I'm disappointing the players. But enough of my ranting. I just discovered this site earlier today while poring through the vast and infinite tomes of the Internet. It seems like a pretty awesome community and I look forward to contributing in the future.

Offline fantomx11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: Greetings From An Experienced Yet Doubtful DM
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
I have the same problem with GM ADD. My current solution is to not plan long campaigns. Instead I plan short ones that should wrap up quickly enough that I don't lose interest. I find it easier to do this in a system that is lighter than d20 (my two goto systems are Fate and FU), but I never played it enough to truly master creating NPC stats for it the way I have other systems.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »
Welcome Veretrix. Sounds like a somewhat typical issue with us creatives which doesn't have a perfect solution.

When I started we were more of the type that wanted to experiment with every game system we could get our hands on. We spent over half the night each time we got together just putting together our characters. For us, that was d**n fun.

Later we settled on the game system that we enjoyed the most (Palladium) and we kinda ran into the problem you are having. (Not really a problem by the way, making stuff up is the fun part...challenge maybe?) Because we liked our characters and the DM ws eclectic, we often just reused our same players in whatever scenario he was in the mood for.  Because he was so good, we didn't care because it was always fun. So you could either turn them into some kind of magical hoppers zapping from challenge to challenge (in turn creating a sweet ass legend of them in the land and stories about them that percolate through time and space) or everyone just goes with the understanding that all the scenarios are like odd episodes of TV. Same characters, different time and space and ignore the reasoning for it in support of the fun.

Don't think too much into it. If you have a good groop, they just want to play. Let them know what you enjoy, take in what they enjoy and figure out a way to make it work.

Anyway, you have a problem many of us wish we had. There are a bunch of us that are wayward wanderers far from games and roleplaying companionship so we use this site to stretch our creative energies. Welcome to the site!!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Longspeak

• SJW: Social Justice Weaver
  • Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Coming out to Play-ay.
  • Awards Article Guild Elite Article Guild Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
Welcome.

That second-guessing thing will probably always be with you. :) But I think that's good. The key is learning to use it instead of letting it use you. Analyze your plans when the doubt hits you. You might find it helps you improve them. And as you gain confidence, you will find taking a look at them will remove the doubts from the best ones at the same time as it helps improve others.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »
Read your other thread...you got it!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline jedion357

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
Greetings Veretix, I think you'll be able to mine quite a few ideas from this site.