llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Chapter 3: Choices  (Read 12156 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »
"A-are ye sure Ah could jess... tajk em out? Whad if Ah brejk sumthang... Iffin it controls de doors we majt fanjd ourselfs trapped in'ere."

"Jess sayin..." She mumbled.

Carnegie studied the computer, what was it this thing did again? She fastened the stun stick at her belt, placed the unlit flashlight on the floor, bent down and looked for any screws or bolts on the console.

Should I make some kind of check?

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Looking around, Anya found several heavy metal parts- brackets or something, that might keep the door from closing fully.  However, there appeared to be a fairly powerful motor involved in closing the door, so it may not be a sure thing.

Carnegie found this unit opened fairly easily - there were several screws completely missing.  There was no question it was powered up though, indicator lights flickering within, and the soft whirring of fans.

She hesitated to actually remove anything - there seemed to be a fair number of large capacitors within, and it did seem that it could very well be associated with the door's operation.  Or perhaps hidden defenses.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Lady Wolf

• Lucky's Lady Wolf
  • Journeyman
  • Luckier than most people realize.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
(posting as Asha until her return)

"That is why we'll block the door open so if it malfunctions we won't become trapped inside." She responded with a smile, helping the others fetch anything large enough to make an effective door jam over into the entrance before turning her attention to the hulking armored security door, pulling on it once to ensure it was indeed locked before attempting to ply it open with her roguish tricks and skill.

"If you'd rather not risk taking apart the machine I understand, I have no wish to be trapped down here either."

(if a couple rolls happen to be needed for the door opening: (10:28:19) Minion: Lady_Wolf rolls 1d20 and gets 4. (10:28:59) Minion: Lady_Wolf rolls 1d20 and gets 20.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:30:03 AM by Lady Wolf »
No Fate

Offline Doc West

• Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
"Let's not be hasty now," Doc West cautioned gently, "I'm sure there are other devices in this place we could disassemble for spare parts if the need arises," He pulled out his pocket watch for a quick glance, the light jingle of chain seeming to echo in the silence. "We seem to have ample time before dark falls above to complete our task, and a door like that one," he gestured to the security door Asha worked to bypass, "Likely leads to a room with more electronics you could salvage from."

He gave the group a reassuring smile and leaned on his cane, alert for sounds or sign of approaching danger, but otherwise content to leave those better skilled to the immediate tasks at hand.
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
Asha was quietly working the lock, and was rewarded by the 'click' as it released its hold.  Why did it have a mechanical lock anyway? 

She shrugged to herself and listened carefully to see if she disturbed anything.  Silence reigned still, apart from the sounds of Carnegie puttering in the 'foyer'.

Satisfied nothing was woken up, she pulled the door open, glock in hand.

Another janitors closet or similar.   Moldered cardboard boxes stacked up in the thin and narrow room had broken sufficiently to show plastic bottles containing blue liquid.  A small shelf held a dozen yellow cans with skull and flame icons, all quite rusty.  A couple of brooms, and what appeared to be a half assembled cleaning robot.  Also, the desiccated corpse of an alarmingly large rat.

Oh well, she knew there were two more locked doors, and a locker she could try to open.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »
Carnegie got up and brushed some hair behind her ear. "Ye, Ah dun think Ah ought ta be messin with dis stuff..." She nodded at the Doc and looked around. "Uhm... S-shouddn't we check out any open spaces a'fore we go a'pokin at any locked doors though... Dere's no tellin how big dis place majt be, n'd when ya enter a den lajk dis, ya don' wanna get cornered..." Her voice dropping all the more as she went along. One door already opened, she didn't feel very confident they would stop now. Better be mindful of any cameras they found at least, right now, the element of surprise was all they had. She had an ominous feeling there was something she had forgotten...

I don't suppose I could shoehorn in, having disabled the cameras when we last left?

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 11:46:05 PM »
Finishing with helping lodge the door open, Creed looked over the work to see if it could be quickly dislodged in case of pursuit during their potential escape. Thinking back on his father’s work as a tunnel guard, and pulling up any memories that he could, Creed studied the makeshift brace before he set about to modify it as needed.

Satisfied that the brace could be quickly dislodged, Creed turns and unholsters both of his pistols. “We should check the areas that are open before open doors that could hold more enemies. Are their walkways above the flooring that people could hide on? If so then We should send a team onto them to provide an overwatch for the main party.”

(20:39:47) Minion: Tusserk rolls 1d20 and gets 18.
18+2 (Int Bonus) (No Proficiency Bonus... boo) = 20 on Investigation Skill or straight Intelligence Check

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
Asha eyed the closet contents briefly, panning her light around to ensure nothing of worth was overlooked before focusing her attention on the locker. "You coudl probably get most of the parts you need for that jammer from this half assembled cleaning bot." She told Carnegie, kicking it light with the toe of her right boot, nodding at Mr. Creeds suggestion.

She headed over to the locker and set to work opening it, "You've seen all the open areas available to us, there's probably some other doors deep in as well, if you'd rather we open them instead? This locker however might hold something of worth, the last one had a nice armored vest Marcus is using."

Open lock: Minion: Silveressa rolls 1d20 and gets 6.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
(+4 for Dex, +2 for Proficiency = 12.  Pass.)

Frowning, she worried the broken key with a pick, then a small squirt of machine oil.  Specially sharpened needle nose pliers in hand, she gripped the key and tried turning it. Must have been the wrong key, cause it wouldn't turn.  A little more effort had it out and she set to picking the lock normally.

Click!

Piece of cake.

Turns out it had stuff. Not bad.

Shotgun, 20 gauge.   (2d6, 5 round internal mag. Condition 2)

Box of shells (20x 20 gauge buckshot)
4 Taser-shells (2d4 damage + Con save vs Incapacitation for 1d4 rounds)

Plastic bag full of tie-wraps
Box of AA Entericell(tm) batteries (40)

Pair of good combat boots, size 8.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
Asha smiled in contentment at the lockers offerings, picking up the shotgun and cautiously racking the slide to check it's durability,  gesturing to the taser rounds as she spoke, "These will help us take down the next couple guards non lethally at least, anyone wear a size 8 and need a new pair of boots?"

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 04:03:09 PM »
Carnegie looked around at the others, hesitantly reached out and received the boots from Asha. "Thanks." She inspected them with approval. Her own boots had seen some wear and tear. Then she kneeled down by Asha to have a look at the cleaning-bot.

15 for scavenge or disassembling or whatever I'm doing.

Offline Elvis

• Hunting Dog Extraordinaire
  • Apprentice
  • "I ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
Elvis sniffed at the half assembled robot cautiously, the tang of rust and metal raising his hackles briefly before he satisfied himself it was no threat and sat at Carnegies feet expectantly, the silence of the bunker letting him easily hear any approach.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »
Ayna stepped back and tot he side slightly, ready to give covering fire should the doors Asha opened prove to have hostile forces behind them. She nodded at the discovery of the shotgun, looking at the rest of her companions, "Who takes the shotgun? I'm fine with my smg here," She patted the Uzi affectionately, "So it's up to the rest of you."

Offline Doc West

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
"My current weapons should prove most suitable," he responded with a quick shake of the head, "Should I find myself in need of heavier ordinance I trust one of you will make it available to me." He smiled politely and gave Mr. Creed a nod, gesturing to the still secured doors with his cane. "I suggest a degree of caution before opening any more of those, should we find more mind controlled inhabitants it would be advantageous for us to have Carnegie's jammer assembled and ready for use."
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »
Carengie poked through what was left of the robot. Its main processor was missing, leaving mostly motors and sensors.  Not quite what she would need for a jammer.

You have 2 units of Electronic parts, but no Quality parts. Need 1 point of Quality parts + 3 normal + batteries for your jammer.

Also, as mentioned before, without a salvaged chip, she has to design the scanner from scratch, guess the operating frequencies (and command codes) and then assemble it - both requiring difficult checks.  For adventuring timescales, your skills are good for repairs/operation/minor modifications of existing devices.  Building entire systems from scratch without a design is very, very difficult.

An EMP disrupter will be technically much easier, but still requires something _close_ to start with.

I am considering Schematics to be a treasure item, so you need to find them if you don't want to spend time developing them yourself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:49:02 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
“I usually prefer the more precise method when it comes to resolving conflict but the ability to speak to a large group instead of one on one is appealing when the numbers are unknown.” Tusserk holsters both pistols before taking the shotgun and shells.

Checking the weapon over, he nods before chambering five of the shells. Sliding the taser style shells into his hip pocket and the box of shells into the thigh pocket of his cargo pants. He keeps a wary watch over the doors.

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Elite NPC Guild 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 11:55:39 PM »
"Back in Stone Hammer we had a saying, the person with the shotgun takes point," Asha gave a wink and nod to Mr. Creed,  stepping back and starting to turn her attention to the next locked door before pausing, glancing over at the already ransacked armory. "It occurs to me the armory may have had a hidden floor safe or panel to store extra gear in the event of an emergency or mutiny, no harm in checking it out."

She turned and walked into the armory, glancing around and checking for any concealed compartments or hidden areas, before exiting to open the next locked door. (Unless she finds some anyway.)

For searching the armory for hidden sections: Minion: Silveressa rolls 1d20 and gets 18.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »
"Dis ain't enuff... Ah'll be needing ta fajnd more. Iffin only we's 'ad un a dem chips. Ah dun suppose de...bodies...are still dere? Or Dot12? E'ery wee bit 'elps, anythang dat looks electrical or, or..." She quieted, chewing the air. She sighed. The more she thought about it, the more it all seemed like such a tall order. Hopefully if they searched through all of this floor, there would be enough to actually get something done.

Carnegie scratched her head and adjusted her shoulder strap. She walked around and studied the doors, if any of them used a key-card they could check more rooms while Asha was checking hers.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
Asha poked and prodded about the Armory, but after several minutes was convinced there were no hidden compartments, or at least none that didn't require a cutting torch to find.

Carnegie, noticing the new new door had another camera, drew her glock and fired a single shot that smashed it.

No bodies. No wrecked robots in the areas shown on the map.  I'll put a labeled map up tonight so you can indicate which door you open first.

In the meantime:

There is a door to the far left - that short bit off the entrance room.  Big door, keycard lock. Another camera close to it but no visible guns.

The double-door at the north of the entrance - "The doors had metal grips and a slot-like opening that had small glowing red lights.  To its right was a computer terminal with small green-lit print."

Two locked doors between the Entrance room and the cafeteria.
Two doors at the north end of the Cafeteria. Not locked.

two doors on either side of the Elevator door. Neither locked.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:47:04 AM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
Asha turned to focus her attention on the large door with the keycard lock and camera, grateful her tolls and skills covered the operation of electronic locks as well as more primitive ones. "Get ready, whatever's behind here is likely well defended."

(If Mr. Creed or anyone else has a different idea of what door we should open next, feel free to speak up and I'll hold off on opening this one.)
To open the lock: (19:10:59) Minion: Silveressa rolls 1d20 and gets 17.

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:50 AM »
Sliding the rack forward to chamber the first shell, Tusserk palmed three more of the shells in his right hand to facilitate reloading. He taking a deep breathe in and placed himself on the far right side of the door. "Do not get ahead of my shoulders or else you could end up blown in half." Turning to look at the group to see if they heard, he then turned to Asha and nodded.

Offline Doc West

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
"I gathered that much from Asha's recollection of Stone Hammer etiquette." The doc added dryly, giving an approving nod to the group and standing behind and to the left of Mr. Creed, out of any direct line of fire once the door opened. He leaned his ebony cane against the wall casually, the silver wolfs head glinting in the artificial lighting, the sound of leather on iron as he readied his Lemat revolver all but a whisper. "I have some familiarity with cones of fire myself," He told the group, gesturing to the cavernous .68 caliber shotgun barrel that lurked underneath the much more diminutive .44 caliber one of his antique firearm.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Ayna positioned herself to the opposite side of Mr. Creed, her Uzi set on single shot as she prepared to enter the door behind him and assist with the room clearing, "This place had a busted gun turret in ceiling of the entryway," She reminded the group, "This room may have more that are less broken so be on guard."

Offline Elvis

• Hunting Dog Extraordinaire
  • Apprentice
  • "I ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 02:09:16 PM »
For his part Elvis stood next to Carnegie panting in eagerness, the nervous energy of the group reminding him of the excitement shared by those who accompanied his master on hunts, awaiting her command to charge forth and flush prey from wherever it may be hiding.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
Asha had worried the door to the best of her ability, but apart from a keycard slot and a little red blinking light, there was little for her tools to work with.  None of the doors mechanism was accessible - whatever fasteners it might have were likely on the reverse side of the door.  It was almost certain that if anything other than a card was inserted, alarms would be triggered.

"Jus' a min der Asha," said Carnegie, "Ah gots a keycard - maht work."   She held out the card that once belonged to Albert Tompson.

Thieve's tools do not include electronic hacking - there are electronic kits, demolition kits and hacking kits separate from thieve's tools. The thieves tools are good for physical lock and traps.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®