llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Chapter 3: Choices  (Read 11337 times)

0 Members and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Article Guild
    • Awards
Chapter 3: Choices
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Several days later...

Having left the Vault in the old school, Asha, Anya, Marcus, Carnegie and Elvis returned to find the town somewhat a little less aflame than they had left it.  The fire had been put out, and an attack from Raiders had been pushed back without major loss.

The Major had insisted on hearing everything that went on underground, and seemed especially alarmed by the device-dominated zombies.  Especially the warning they gave.

“The Deathlands he said?  Thats a place no one in their right mind would go.  Killing machines from Before are there, said to have been driven mad.  They don’t wander outside, so we have been safe so far. But if some _thing_ is going there it might be looking to stir em up. Not sure if we should try and intercept it or wait and see.  I may know someone who can speak to this. Let me get back to you on that.

“That Vault sounds like something dangerous to have at our back.  I’m considering having the door sealed by collapsing the building and burying it.  They’ve kept this long, they can keep a while longer. You have any other thoughts on that? Anything you want to do before we seal it?”

“And to top it all off, the Eastern Raiders have stepped up their activities, and they’re not continuing on to Stonehammer as usual. They have been making some attacks around Kenebac.  I’m looking to start organizing a punitive raid against them. See if we can get some of the outlying communities to lead us some hands for the effort.  Marcus, I’d like you to assist with that. I think it would be a good release for your - energies.”

“So thats the situation.  An old friend of mine has returned from his travels. Doc Sandoz.  Steady hand with scalpel or pistol. He’d be an excellent addition to your team, since I expect wherever you go will be harms way in some manner.  I think there are others you might be able to bring along.”

Tilly’s had returned more or less to normal. Bau’s wounds have been tended to. And their walls have had additional material added to them.

You have time to do a little bit of side activities before embarking on any of these efforts.  Tusserk can bring Mr. Creed into the discussion. Apart from Asha who is too new, everyone is familiar with him.  We can can adjust as needed.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »
The soft jingling of chainmail announced his presence as Creed stepped forward to listen to the story. His scarred face and ever present pistols glistened in the light as he nodded to the mayor. “We need intel on the raiders as well. Why have they not left the area for Stonehammer?”

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
"A Very good question, Mr. Creed. I'm wondering if recent events drew their attention here.  We've taken none of them prisoners, and nothing has been recovered that gives us any real clue as to why.  Maybe they got a real bloody nose the last time they hit Stonehammer, or their priests have make new declarations against us. No idea."

"Anyway, are there any further questions? I'm leaving it to you which way you want to go with this. "

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
Asha adjusted her sun glasses and gave a friendly nod to the arriving Mr. Creed, twirling a lockpick idly between her fingers. "In the vaults front room there was an armored sec door, I wouldn't mind seeing if I could pop the lock on it, it may be a back up armory for expeditions to the surface, a security station or even escape route from the overseers office, either way it might have some useful gear inside we can make use of and perhaps a way to override the machine mind controlling the place, it's worth a look at least."

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
Carnegie leaned against a wall with her arms around her, Elvis at her feet. She was feeling torn, on the one hand she wanted to save the people enslaved by the machine, and not dally about it, but on the other hand, if they went back in, more people were most likely going to die. At least the news about Doctor Sandoz returning was a spot of bright light, he was another one of those rare people who had shown her kindness since she came here, he had the right frame of mind and would probably back her up in this undertaking, and Asha had promised to try as well.

She started nibbling on a thumb nail, watching the others decide. She remembered the data discs they had recovered, those would probably play an important part when it came to shutting this machine off, if they could be trusted. She would have to remind Asha of this later, she didn't dare draw any attention to herself with this many people in the room.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
Ayna shook her head in disagreement with the mayors suggestion to cave in the entrance. "Burying the hatch may work in the short term, but if they have explosives or something they could dig themselves out over time, and I'm pretty sure some place that well built has at least one emergency exit in a different place."

She flicked her eyes over to Mr. Creed, considering the implications of his observation. "They seem to have a sudden interest in our little town, I wonder if maybe they captured some scout from the bunker and know of it so now want to take over the town so they can loot it for themselves?"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:59:38 PM by Ayna »

Offline Elvis

• Hunting Dog Extraordinaire
  • Apprentice
  • "I ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »
Elvis sniffed at Mr Creed in curiosity, snorting at the scent of oil on his chainmail before padding back over to lay under the near by table, panting contentedly, the pain from his earlier injury only a minor nuisance he scarcely noticed under the wash of energy and flood of new scents filling the room.

Offline Doc West

• Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
A soft thunk sounded outside the door, followed a moment later by it quietly opening, the 6' 4" height of Doctor Wessley Sandoz quickly filling the room as he strode in, a black ebony cane grasped in his right hand, the elderly mans face forming a warm smile as he spotted Carnegie and nodded a welcome before focusing his attention on the Mayor.

"My good friend, how nice to see you again!" His voice was a rich baritone, soothing in confidence and warmth as he leaned his cane against the nearby table and extended a hand for the mayor, the familiar surrounding of Kenebac making him feel immediately at ease, especially given the rumors of raider attacks on the rise. "I heard from your man at the gate you were having some troubles out of the ordinary?"
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
"Why Wesley, it been, nearly four months! You really know how to drift. Yes, things have been ... interesting."  He quickly filled in the Doctor on the current situation.

At Anya's comments, "Maybe, there has been no such indication - either way. And you are right, that place could have outputs anywhere.  Maybe we may need to finish the job, or at least trap the hell out of the entrance we know about."

Marcus seemed pleased by the Major's assignment, and looked over at Carnegie - "Try not to get yourself killed, okay. Luc wouldn't like that."  And with that Marcus left the room.

"So, do you have any other questions for me? We gots lots to do, and God knows not so much time."

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
"Who's Luc?" Asha asked no one in particular, giving a slight inclination of the head at Marcus's departure; given his abrasive personality she wasn't the least bit sorry to see him go, hopefully the new arrivals would prove more personable.

"If we can free the people enslaved by this machine mine from its control and keep the facility powered we'd have a handy shelter to hide from any raider attacks in the future. also if that machine mind can things like that dog monster I'd rather not having it under our feet cooking up all kinds of monstrosities for some other group of innocents to stumble across down the road."

There I go again with we, and us, acting like they've accepted me as part of their little hamlet, maybe in time it'll be the truth, it sure beats looking over my shoulder all the time in Stonehammer, and the company is a lot more agreeable, and easy on the eyes. She grinned slightly at her thoughts, shaking her head and reaching over to gently squeeze Carnegie's shoulder in support of her earlier desire to help the victims of the rogue A.I. "There's also the small matter of freeing those people enslaved by the machine mind, no one should have to live like that, a prisoner in their own body."

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
Carnegie straightened up as the doctor entered and returned the smile and the nod from the doctor. She thought about going up to him, but this probably wasn't the time. Soon though.

-

"Try not to get yourself killed, okay. Luc wouldn't like that."

Surprised, she nodded gravely at Marcus. She thought about saying something, but he left so abruptly that any thoughts was washed from her mind. She sighed, maybe he wasn't as bad as he seemed sometimes.

-

She gave a weak smile looking up at Asha, her eyes moving around the room wondering if anyone would remark, a slight blush growing on her cheeks but she didn't withdraw. She nodded meekly at her words. There was a lot still to be done. A lot to talk about the others about, but she'd sooner do so away from the mayor. She always felt like she ought to be saluting him or something, and at any rate, his scary wife could be lurking nearby. She swallowed heavily at that thought.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:33:09 PM »
The major looked down at a watch on hi wrist - it was a mechanical device he was inordinately proud of - one of his few oddities. His wife had arrived silently and was looking into the room. She gave a cold look at Carnegie - and Asha.

"Okay, that's all the time I have right now. Figure out what you're going to do, and get going. None of these are going away by themselves." the mayor turned to leave.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:25 AM »
Asha returned the womans icy stare with one of her own, biting back the commentary that rose to her lips, silently reminding herself she was still a new comer to the town and upsetting the balance of things was a choice she could ill afford. Once the woman had left her expression warmed and she continued to twirl the lock pick casually. "What's the woman's malfunction? She seems jealous of us gals talking with the mayor." She threw the question to the entire room with a shrug, resisting the urge to lock the door in the wake of her departure.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
Ayna shrugged indifferently at Asha's comment, "She's like that with everyone, so don't take it personally." She smiled at doc West and thought for a second about recent events, filling Mr. Creed and the doctor in on her experiences of recent events. "So after that gun fight I'm of hte mind we should head back in there and deal with this mechanical monstrosity before it starts kidnapping locals, or bandits and sticking stuff in them heads to make them puppets."

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 04:53:42 AM »
"A backdoor into the compound? That should take precedence over the raiders. The raiders may attack but we can spot them a ways out with lookouts. These mechanized slaves could be upon the town people before they wake up and can defend themselves." Creed caressed the threadbare book at his left hip as he thought out loud.

"Chapter three, verse seven states the worse policy is to attack cities. Attack cities only when there is no alternative." Creeds fingers ran over the verse as he studied the books pages. "Attacking this entrance into the compound is initially a bad idea, however I am loathe to allow a door into my home with wolves howling to come in. Ah here we go. Chapter six, verse eleven. When I wish to give battle, my enemy, even though protected by high walls and deep moats, cannot help but engage me, for I attack a position he must succor." Looking up at the group he continued, "Was there an area that seemed heavily defended and was there one that seemed to be either a medical area, ration storage, sleep quarters? We attack the one that continues to keep them strong and draw the guards away from the one they truly need to continue their threat."

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
"The robot waiter mentioned there was a medical area on a lower floor, and sleeping quarters, but attacking a different area as a diversion means we'll need some kind of bullet proof barricade to keep them from charging us or shooting us through it, and enough ammo, or slingshot stones to keep their attention for time."

She nodded thoughtfully, "We could make it look like we launched an attack, maybe find some rats and tie a few cans on strings around their tails and set them loose to run down corridors, it'd keep the guards running ragged while we slipped in a different way; really it think we should see what's behind the armored door int eh entry area and plan from there."

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
Carnegie allowed herself to breathe again as the Mayor left, shutting the door on the unstable woman. She rested her hand momentarily on Asha's back with a smile and slid away to take the opportunity to officially greet Dr. Sandoz.

She went up and touched his arm offering another smile, as he seemed momentarily distracted. "Doctor. S'nice ta see ya agin, ye look well. How are de people outsidea Kenebac holdin up? Was it Edgewater or Grey Fields what needed ya?"
She made quite the contrast, looking up at this tall man, who still somehow managed to seem non-threatening to her. Maybe it was the beard, he looked like a grandpa.

Offline Doc West

• Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »
His faltering smile returned in full force at Carengie's greeting, reaching out to place a hand on her shoulder in an almost grandfatherly gesture. "Things are okay, there was a small epidemic of dysentery in Edge Water forced me to take my leave of Rodeny's caravan but it's been cleared up and I thought it prudent to pay my old friend a visit and check up this small bright point of civilization on an otherwise less than tamed frontier, it seems I arrived in a hour of need as it were."

He listened to Asha and Mr. Creeds wisdom, nodding in agreement, "Faking an attack would also minimize casualties on both sides of the fight, until I see some of these implants for myself I can't tell you if they can be removed or not safely, but someone with more electrical know how may be able to take one from a deceased individual and rig up some sort of localized jammer that would give control back to those close enough to it?"

He cleared his throat and retrieved his cane, tapping it on the ground thoughtfully for a long moment. "And you are certain you can force the lock to this door miss Crescent? I see no reason not to at least try to gain access to whatever is behind it, does your good book have any advice on how to best handle subterfuge and sabotage Mr. Creed?" His voice held the warm confidence of one who was long since accustomed to finding themselves faced with difficult scenarios, and equally used to relying on the wisdom and know of others when appropriate to extract them from otherwise untenable situations.
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
"Unfortunately the chapter for spies and subterfuge was the last chapter of the Book. Those words have been lost to me." Slipping the old book from the binding, he turned it over to show the last third of the book was missing.

Offline Elvis

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »
Elvis gave a toothy growl at the the arrival of the mayors wife, lowering himself to the ground and regarding her cautiously as if she were a sun maddened predator, pushing himself against Carnegie's leg for comfort.

At her departure he sat down and panted happily, feeling once more safe among those his master considered friend.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »
"That's a shame," She shook her head at Mr. Creed's book, "but you know, this underground bunker has plenty of places, they may even have a library with a copy of your book in it, it might be worth a look anyway?" She suggested with a smile. "We all seem to be in agreement heading back down there and trying our luck on that door should be our next move, so lets get on with it unless someone has a better idea?" She glanced outside at the late morning sun, "We should get a move on before too much of the day goes by at the very least."

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
"Things are okay, there was a small epidemic of dysentery in Edge Water forced me to take my leave of Rodeny's caravan but it's been cleared up and I thought it prudent to pay my old friend a visit and check up this small bright point of civilization on an otherwise less than tamed frontier, it seems I arrived in a hour of need as it were."

Carnegie nodded happily. "Couddn't 'ave come at'a better tajm."

"Faking an attack would also minimize casualties on both sides of the fight, until I see some of these implants for myself I can't tell you if they can be removed or not safely, but someone with more electrical know how may be able to take one from a deceased individual and rig up some sort of localized jammer that would give control back to those close enough to it?"

Carny's mouth opened with excitement.
"Dat's a great idear doc! A-ah coudd mabbe make one a dem jammers." She paused to consider what materials she would need. "We's also gots thems rainbow glowy disc thangs dat 'ad ta do wiff computers. Et sed it taught ye how ta use 'em, but then agin, we's found em in dat computer infected place...y'all reckon them's safe?" She said looking at Asha.

She nodded her consent at Anya, they could talk while they walked, and she would need a moment to herself to figure out how to make the jammer the doctor had suggested.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
The sky was grey when they started out, and quickly switched to rain.  By the time they made the old school, they had all had a good dousing.  As they entered the school they noticed no new tracks - especially with the wet ground outside. A good sign.

They moved quietly, stealthily as they could, but only silence greeted them.

The dust had been disturbed going to the cafeteria - the combined effects of their prior visit and the guards that they had battled with.

There were no bodies to be found - a good thing, for they would have been quite ripe had they remained.  The bloodstains where they fell was still present.

Both robots were absent from the cafeteria.

It was very, very quiet. Absent even was the sound of any ventilation equipment.

Human Strolenati
            Strolenati Guild
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elvis

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »
Upon stepping inside the school shook the water from his fur anxiously, scenting the air and padding alongside Carnegie, whining softly as he recognized their return to the strange smelling place below the earth that so recently reeked of death and was the source of great pain. Upon hearing no unfamiliar noises his courage grew and he raises his head higher, alert for further danger, the smells and sounds of the new companions a distraction he was still growing accustomed to.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
"So where to first? Opening that armored door we bypassed last time?" She asked her friends, the submachine gun held comfortably in the crook of her arm as she studied her surroundings, the decision to leave behind the cumbersome sniper cannon one she knew was the right choice, even if she felt somewhat naked without it. "You might be able to get some components to make that jammier using the computer over there int he corner." She gestured to it in the entry room, keeping an eye on the interior hallway.

"It might be a smart idea to prop open the exit door with a pry bar or something," She suggested, eyeing the surroundings for a suitable object, "that way if forcing open that armored door triggers some kid of security lock down we don't become trapped in here?"