llamaenterhear

Author Topic: The Stolen (Strolen) World campaign (Star Whales in action!)  (Read 3063 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
The Stolen (Strolen) World campaign (Star Whales in action!)
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
S I was going to base a campaign around Scras' Star Whales and the epic,historical struggle against them in low level D&D. I'm going to try and use only Strolen subs(not mine) as my source material. I'll post what I steal here.

I see the Whales 'attacking' in three waves every 999 years. First they're food source attacks ,then the smaller and less numerous males and finally the pregnant  females. Going to draw on Asimov's Nightfall for a little also

Stay tuned......
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
Re: The Stolen (Strolen) World campaign (Star Whales in action!)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Heres a link to the subs Im using from hear. http://strolen.com/favorites/view/117
The Dragons are going to be re-branded as chimera
For some reason couldnt put Star Whales in my Fav's link http://strolen.com/viewing/Star_Whale
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:50:02 AM by Aramax »

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
I'm interested to see where this goes, and feel free to hit me up for additional information
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
I could use 2 suggestions to replace Orc/goblin to give setting unique feel,nothing w/wings

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
I'm interested to see where this goes, and feel free to hit me up for additional information
How much do you want to read?Just what applies to the Star Whales or do you want info on everything else?I'll provide what ever level of detail you would find interesting!!!!!!!

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
SCRAS= ok Ive decided that the world is cycling every 1000 years in destruction's, a few cycles back the civilization managed to hold out for one or two cycles through magic
need explanation of how they managed to hold on and why they finally fell
need legends of the event(multiples)as civilization reverts to barbarism after each attack.
need examples of the recurring civilizations=
need 3 ways to defeat in a setting where magic is limited to 4th L D&D spells(some ways being better than others)
keeeping in mind that they are coming in 3 increasingly destructive waves

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
SCRAS= ok Ive decided that the world is cycling every 1000 years in destruction's, a few cycles back the civilization managed to hold out for one or two cycles through magic
need explanation of how they managed to hold on and why they finally fell
need legends of the event(multiples)as civilization reverts to barbarism after each attack.
need examples of the recurring civilizations=
need 3 ways to defeat in a setting where magic is limited to 4th L D&D spells(some ways being better than others)
keeeping in mind that they are coming in 3 increasingly destructive waves

How did they manage to hold on? They used magic not to fight the whales, but to either hide from them, using magic to camouflage themselves, or to create a spell like effect (epic level) to repel the star whales when they do appear, much like small organisms hide in small places, and release toxins or ink to repel predators. Why did it fail? Not all star whales are the same 'species' and they were hunted out by a pod of smaller star whales who are attracted to magic and generally ignore non-magic using cultures. Cast epic spells eventually will attract them.

Legends are easy, insert primitive explanations for why everyone died, angering the gods is a good fall back, and then elevate the stories of the fallen cultures above what they were, for example, imagine if Atlantis was a pre-historic culture that rose, was advanced to roman level, and then destroyed. Thousands of years later, we look at them as if they were magical ancient astronauts and magicians.

Ways to defeat: Communion with a divine being, and persuade them that it is in their interests to fend off the star whales to preserve their human worshippers.

Cause massive war or widespread death that reduces the population to the point the whales are forced to go elsewhere for sustenance.

gotta think a little more on this
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »
Hadn't thought of the 'ink' idea, pure gold there a couple of things I should have mentioned
1 each cycle results in barbarism
2 a comet fortells the first coming and causes panic based on legends
3 not using traditional spells in D&D so plenty of room for rituals
any ideas you have Id welcome

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »
a couple more things
'god' are very, very minor and have arisen since current cycle, the major gods long dead in stand against whales
"gods' are 9th to poss 11th level non standard
campaign level cap is 7th
Total barbarism is assumed between cycles, all centers of anyone who can read and books destroyed with only survivors rural peasants and barbarians
prob no or very distant afterlife
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:07:46 AM by Aramax »

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
What if the barbarism is a side effect of the feeding of the star whale? Rather than just a loss of technology and cultural advancement, the proximity of such a massive but basically invisible predator causes a sort of biosphere madness. To recover from the loss of life energy and biomass, the survivors are driven to violence and to breed to replace what what lost? I find it fascinating that there were gods, and they were destroyed or badly weakened driving off previous encounters.

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »
again pure gold Scras, like the madness thing, Im sorry if Im not coherently communicating my ideas but my life is very tuff these day but I NEED this outlet and I want to make a 'mature' game.
I want the players to have to figure out EVERYTHING, no idea about the cycles and many misleading rumors. I plan on dungeons being logical and basically 'lifeboats'. Many common animals are long gone which they will metagame as a clue.also doing a limited monster base ,only ten kinds of monsters(with many
subcategories.

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
OOO OOOO what if the 'madness is spread from a small(couple of inches)parasite that is also carried in all three waves, so a 'babarism' plague is spread after the first attack of the pray species!

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
I'm sure there is more than just Scras who can contribute they're thoughts..................

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
again pure gold Scras, like the madness thing, Im sorry if Im not coherently communicating my ideas but my life is very tuff these day but I NEED this outlet and I want to make a 'mature' game.
I want the players to have to figure out EVERYTHING, no idea about the cycles and many misleading rumors. I plan on dungeons being logical and basically 'lifeboats'. Many common animals are long gone which they will metagame as a clue.also doing a limited monster base ,only ten kinds of monsters(with many
subcategories.

I like the idea of dungeons basically being bunkers against the onslaught of the star whales. This is really useful because rather than being places to put prisoners and things to be forgotten, the dungeons are repositories for things that people want remembered, the only way to maintain a cultural continuity as it were. By exploring the dungeons, the PCs will find the evidence, in scrolls, the writings of long dead philosophers and magi, and the writings of the wise men who went insane sitting out the last wave of feedings.

The limited wildlife makes sense, like Noah's Ark, the dungeons were arks to create seeds to regrow society, and that includes domesticated animals, wildlife, etc. With no competition when they emerged, a small number of species would quickly dominate the largely vacant world.

On question i do think of, 1000 years is a rather short cycle for star whales, I used Earth's regular extinction level events, millions and millions of years apart as a guideline. This could be a pod of star whale calves, living in the proverbial shoals, or could it be a small group of whales who are lost, stranded, or otherwise isolated and they are caught in a slow spiral of starvation.

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
The 1000 years was basically a way to  limit the regrowth of magic

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
I'm going to create a series of 'petty' gods that fit into my noo info to players plan. MMWWW is the first and I will be resubmitting XORD as a full sub ,Ive also got an Idea for a god of left socks...........

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »
I've already futsed around with the magic system of DnD, and am considering making the cycles cause an increase in ambient magic, and considering what that should entail. I going to have to run a placeholder series of games till I get this very ambitious project totally ready

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
I'm looking at a 2-4 year time frame IRL for this, attendance is great since my switch back to fantasy, I think I have to face the fact that I suck as a supers gm

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:08:34 AM »
Heres a link to an overview and the subs sofar
http://strolen.com/viewing/The_Stolen_World

Offline Aramax

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 08:17:26 AM »
After a long break from gaming Im going to continue this....sort of
The Greater Cosmos is going to be in a cataclysmic crisis with the many planes involved in a war that will only leave fragment that need to be anchored with " Stonehenges" to the Stolen world. Meaning that if the stonehenges go all the remaining mini planes will shatter. This fight vrs the Whales will be wiether or not the UNIVERSE survives