llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cosmic Era Novel  (Read 1869 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Cosmic Era Novel
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
In a request for activity, I have decided to start updating my novel writing progress here.

I am looking to have the first draft complete by Halloween, or my birthday (about a week later). Not close, not almost, but monkey fighting done. I plan on taking a hiatus from it at that point, a few weeks and then go into the revision process.

This first draft business is strange stuff, not going back to correct spelling or other issues, not rewriting paragraphs, just leaving notes and moving on. I'm 53 pages into the draft and it is centered around a common sort of man discovering that he is a genetically engineered and augmented super soldier. He is being manipulated by hidden factions in the Cosmic Era and will be going on a rampage through the oddities of the setting in a progression of events that will see him turn against the powers that are controlling him.

The synopsis is complete, and it's actually here, hidden in my private in work section.

When the book is published, in whatever form its published in, will feature a major shout out and thanks to the Citadel for everything it has done to support the gestation of the Cosmic Era.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
Re: Cosmic Era Novel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
Awesome!
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
Excellent! I'm looking forward to this.

If you need a beta-reader, I dropped lots of points into Grammar Nazi, so I'm available for proofing.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Excellent! I'm looking forward to this.

If you need a beta-reader, I dropped lots of points into Grammar Nazi, so I'm available for proofing.

I will keep you in mind, like I said, I'm in the first draft phase right now, so I would probably go for proofing after I finished the first revision, there are some things I want to adjust and change, but I am resisting the urge to backtrack and cover old ground in favor of blazing ahead.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
What is a Vingian Relay?

A Vingian Relay is a hybrid being composed of one decentralized mind and multiple (clone) bodies. The mind and 'soul' of a Vingian Relay is held half in the original human (also known as the Prime) and half in the CogNet.

Strengths: A Vingian can function as a single organism in close proximity without the need for verbal or electronic communication.

Destroying a body doesn't compromise the whole, and destroyed members can be replaced with fresh clones.

Shared minds and experiences give a Vingian the ability to learn and grow rapidly. The skills and abilities learned and exercised by one member are shared with all of the others. In game terms, each individual can grow in terms of skills and personal abilities, but any skills and such on the character sheet are shared with every other member of the collective, albeit at one level lower.

Vingians can remote dream and communicate through the CogNet in a dream like fashion that is an ultra secure mode of communication. What one member knows, they all know.

Weaknesses: If cut off completely from the CogNet, individuals who were part of the relay become increasingly unstable and are often unable to communicate with any competence or skill as their main mode of communication was virtual

If the Prime is slain/destroyed, the Relay retains it's functionality but stops growing in terms of skill, and the surviving relays begin to become mentally unstable. Killing a prime can cause all members of a relay to become catatonic, commit suicide, or otherwise implode mentally.

The shared mind is vulnerable to contamination, especially the cosmic horror sort. If one member becomes afflicted with a supernatural madness, this is transferred through the link to all the other members of the relay. A skilled psychosurgeon and hacker can also capture and use a member of a relay as a way to infiltrate and compromise a Vingian, though this is extremely difficult.

While a Vingian relay can survive the abrupt disconnect of the death of a member, it can be manipulated and controlled or even tortured provided that a skilled interrogator with the proper tools has a member of the relay in their custody. What one knows, they all know, and this includes psychological abuse (much more difficult though, as individuality is muted in a Relay) physical torture (this only works at short range) and so forth.