llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Cosmic Era Novel  (Read 3159 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Cosmic Era Novel
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
In a request for activity, I have decided to start updating my novel writing progress here.

I am looking to have the first draft complete by Halloween, or my birthday (about a week later). Not close, not almost, but monkey fighting done. I plan on taking a hiatus from it at that point, a few weeks and then go into the revision process.

This first draft business is strange stuff, not going back to correct spelling or other issues, not rewriting paragraphs, just leaving notes and moving on. I'm 53 pages into the draft and it is centered around a common sort of man discovering that he is a genetically engineered and augmented super soldier. He is being manipulated by hidden factions in the Cosmic Era and will be going on a rampage through the oddities of the setting in a progression of events that will see him turn against the powers that are controlling him.

The synopsis is complete, and it's actually here, hidden in my private in work section.

When the book is published, in whatever form its published in, will feature a major shout out and thanks to the Citadel for everything it has done to support the gestation of the Cosmic Era.

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline MysticMoon

• Progresstinator in training
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Mi serĉas vortojn
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
Re: Cosmic Era Novel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
Awesome!
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
Excellent! I'm looking forward to this.

If you need a beta-reader, I dropped lots of points into Grammar Nazi, so I'm available for proofing.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
Excellent! I'm looking forward to this.

If you need a beta-reader, I dropped lots of points into Grammar Nazi, so I'm available for proofing.

I will keep you in mind, like I said, I'm in the first draft phase right now, so I would probably go for proofing after I finished the first revision, there are some things I want to adjust and change, but I am resisting the urge to backtrack and cover old ground in favor of blazing ahead.

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 01:09:54 AM »
What is a Vingian Relay?

A Vingian Relay is a hybrid being composed of one decentralized mind and multiple (clone) bodies. The mind and 'soul' of a Vingian Relay is held half in the original human (also known as the Prime) and half in the CogNet.

Strengths: A Vingian can function as a single organism in close proximity without the need for verbal or electronic communication.

Destroying a body doesn't compromise the whole, and destroyed members can be replaced with fresh clones.

Shared minds and experiences give a Vingian the ability to learn and grow rapidly. The skills and abilities learned and exercised by one member are shared with all of the others. In game terms, each individual can grow in terms of skills and personal abilities, but any skills and such on the character sheet are shared with every other member of the collective, albeit at one level lower.

Vingians can remote dream and communicate through the CogNet in a dream like fashion that is an ultra secure mode of communication. What one member knows, they all know.

Weaknesses: If cut off completely from the CogNet, individuals who were part of the relay become increasingly unstable and are often unable to communicate with any competence or skill as their main mode of communication was virtual

If the Prime is slain/destroyed, the Relay retains it's functionality but stops growing in terms of skill, and the surviving relays begin to become mentally unstable. Killing a prime can cause all members of a relay to become catatonic, commit suicide, or otherwise implode mentally.

The shared mind is vulnerable to contamination, especially the cosmic horror sort. If one member becomes afflicted with a supernatural madness, this is transferred through the link to all the other members of the relay. A skilled psychosurgeon and hacker can also capture and use a member of a relay as a way to infiltrate and compromise a Vingian, though this is extremely difficult.

While a Vingian relay can survive the abrupt disconnect of the death of a member, it can be manipulated and controlled or even tortured provided that a skilled interrogator with the proper tools has a member of the relay in their custody. What one knows, they all know, and this includes psychological abuse (much more difficult though, as individuality is muted in a Relay) physical torture (this only works at short range) and so forth.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
Transhumanity, Post-Humanity, and Cul-de-sacs

Transhumanity is obviously transitional, hence the use of 'trans' and is a bridge from the previous/current iteration of humanity leading to a new plateau of humanity. What are the new humans? gene-cleaned, genetically engineered and tailored from the toes up, adapted not to a Hobbsian short and brutal life of survival, but a technology enclosed techno suburbanite, living in brave new worlds, under domes, in space stations, on colonies on other worlds.

But Transhumanity is the getting there, but retaining what it is to be human.

Post-Humanity is less obvious. The end result is the same, reaching to a new plateau of civilization, but where the transhuman path retains it's humanity in some form, the post-human path discards it. To the post-humanist many things we take for granted or strive for are not to the benefit or the self, nor the benefit of society, but are the echoes and vestiges of primitive ancestors, the lusts and hollow needs of primates. The post-human is divorced from such biological concepts as sexual reproduction, gender, and sexual orientation. The union is with the machine, with genetic perfection, and such things cannot come from sweaty grunts and spurts of reproductive fluids. Post humanity retains human intelligence, but does so without keeping the human, mammalian, primate identity. Their bodies are shells to be augmented, changed, and replaced as needed.

Then there are cul-de-sacs, branches of development that will not, and in some cases, cannot bear fruit.

In the light of genetic engineering and such, traditional eugenics and racism are comical. What make a human superior to another is not the color of their skin, but the expression of a strong genetic code, longevity, a healthy and productive life.

Sexualism, not sexism, but the exaltation of sex for no other purpose than itself (as opposed to procreation) and as a form of expression. Once gene engineering, programmable dreams, sentient machines, and so forth enters the mainstream, the cliques and enclaves devoted to deviant and non-basic sexuality either push further into the extreme to validate themselves, or wither because no one cares. The LGBTIAP coalition becomes something as ridiculous in the Cosmic Era as the 18th century spiritualist and transcendentalist movement can appear to the modern person (Shakers, phrenology, radium medicine, quack medicine, etc)

This is not a personal condemnation of these lifestyles, I just imagine/project that in a few centuries, this general time period is going to be looked at as an explosion of just weirdness for the sake of being weird. The number of letters in the soup will get longer and longer to a point where no one cares about what the next group is, and then it will start collapsing back down to the most basic iterations of alternate lifestyle. Then, like wondering if those new immigrants next door are Germans, dirty Irish, or thieving Dutchmen it will become completely irrelevant, because who cares if you enjoy sex with your own gender when the issues are forming marital relationships with machines, infomorphs, a post-human being, a construct of computer code, a clone, etc. After that weirdness no one cares. You're still a human in a relationship with a human. Those that fixate on the alternate lifestyle and try to change the world to suit them will be left behind.

Sexism: Once things go to the genetic level, and there are way more robots and such, the difference between men and women begins to shrink, as plumbing doesn't affect the ability to drive a mech, control a machine, or manifest parapsychic abilities. Sexism, while still present, is a social relic and a function of ingrained values rather than the continuation of long held anti-feminist beliefs. Plus machines and such are able to have children, taking the reproductive burden off of women.

more stuff, out of time. Time for work.

This is controversial stuff and it feels weird writing it.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:18:10 AM »
Randomness

After losing his spouse in an industrial/construction accident, a soldier uploads his deceased spouse' egomorph into his power armor suit. Things go downhill from there as he never accepts losing his partner, never processes the grief and while there are slapstick moments of comedy, things are serious because people are injured or killed because instead of being on point, he's arguing with the ghost of his spouse through his armor interface.

Hoog Expression
In a less favorable part of the world, Africa or the Middle East, there is a tradition of taking the head and upper torso of destroyed autons and skeletrons, hollowing them out, and making hat/cowls out of them, and incorporating them into wastelander patchwork armor. This isn't for effectiveness in combat, this makes the wearer seem much taller and more imposing, especially if they hide their own face, and do a little puppet work on the robot head and maybe arms. Rather than combat, Hoogs are entertainers, storytellers, and tinkers.

Verbrannerde

Given the manner in which arcos grew from petrol era cities, modern arcos are surrounded by square miles of slums and conurbation. Rather than rip everything down as fast as possible, the demolition and reclamation of this urban wasteland is determined by it's use. Abandoned and vacant areas are avoided until they are in the way, and the sections of slums that are the most prone to petty crime, vandalism, and otherwise antisocial sentiment are targeted. This is summed up in the neo-german philosophy of Verbrannerde, an approximation of Scorched Earth. It is also known by the more inflammatory plotzetotung, roach killing. Rather than address the underlying issues causing the crime, it is considered better to wipe out the area where it is happened and force the residents to relocate, thus disrupting their nests, breaking up syndicates and cartels, and flushing out wanted criminals in hiding.