llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Links for Retroclones, clones, and other free games.  (Read 3298 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Links for Retroclones, clones, and other free games.
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

I will start because well I did. 

http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/dd-retroclones.html

This is a list of most of the D&D retroclones and their variations. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: Links for Retroclones, clones, and other free games.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
Saved for future perusal  :read:

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Questor 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Links for Retroclones, clones, and other free games.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Just received my copy of Warriors of the Red Planet a couple days ago and tore my way through it. Even though it's only a beta, I'm really impressed with it. It's flavorful, succinct, and has my imagination kicking in. As a fan of the Sword & Planet genre, I feel they did an excellent job of boiling the ideas down to their most basic level while tweaking the OD&D rules to perfectly fit the concept. While I may end up converting it to Mini Six for familiarity, I see no problem with the rules as presented.

There are 4 basic classes: Fighting Men (Fighter), Scoundrels (Thief), Mentalist (Psionicist), and Scientist (using weird science instead of magic). The book includes numerous powers and gadgets for the Mentalist and Scientist classes. A fifth class, Sorcerer of the Black Gate, is added in an appendix and presents an optional magic system. Swords & Wizardry is recommended for expanding the magic options if the Sorcery aspect is used, which I assume means the rulesets are very similar.

While most of the book seems geared toward the John Carter of Mars series, it also provides instruction on creating new planets from scratch, along with numerous random charts and tables to assist with this task. A lot of the advice centers around defining only basic details and filling in the rest during gameplay (a tactic I prefer).

All in all, a wonderfully creative retroclone that perfectly adapts the rules to fit its target genre.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.