llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old School  (Read 129971 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »
As Asha finished speaking, she noticed one of Tilly's sons suddenly turn and bring up his weapon.

"Fu .." <blam>

Something was hurtling through the air, leaping into the enclosure.  A burst of sparks showed the gunshot hit, but the thing landed on its feet and oriented itself directly at Asha.  Doglike, it was a vision of hell in the flickering light; black, inorganic eyes; tattered fur; and wickedly serrated teeth.

The sentry prevented surprise for you. Please roll init. 
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Online Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
Whatever this mechanical construct was, Anya wasn't going to sit idly by and allow it to dismember her companions, no matter her current feelings towards them. Training and good discipline took over.

Quickly bringing the cannon up to her shoulder with her strength whilst crouching her muscular form to steady herself against the vengeful kick, she fired an armor piercing round at the thing, point blank. If this didn't put it out of business, she didn't know what would. She'd shot through armored APC's and even a tank with this thing.

As the beast roared, she immediately refocused and readied herself for another shot, should one prove necessary.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 57
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
Her gun was already in hand, and she fired without a seconds pause, her thumb flicking the G18's full auto switch a fraction of a second before her finger tightened on the trigger, machine or beast, it was getting a head full of .9mm and that would give it pause, hopefully enough time for the rest of her companions to finish it off.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Carnegie spun around startled. A hunter isn't used to being the hunted one, and so she made a mistake, she fired in haste. And the shot went wide. Her eyes grew large as she saw the cables hanging loose from the eye socket after Asha's shot, no ordinary animal indeed! "It's a clanker! Pour wat'r on de sucker!" She yelled out.

Rolled in chat with witnesses

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Ashas' flock of bullets found their home in the thing's head, rounds pounding into metal reinforced snout and forehead. An eye shattered and  dangled out, a chunk of fur came away exposing circuitry and slashed muscle. A third disappeared directly into the yawning mouth.

Moments later, its headlong charge towards Asha was nearly stopped by a massive .50 round slamming into its torso. Had it been flesh and blood, it would have fallen, shattered, but it pressed on, no fear, no sense of preservation, only the destruction of its prey.

Internal organs that it may once have counted as useful hung from it as it pressed on.

A shot came from one of the Tilly brothers,  but the others held fire due to the proximity of the beast to Asha.
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
With the beast in close proximity, Marcus swung his axe, but the thing managed to evade it.

The distraction was useful though, as Asha managed to sidestep the snapping metal jaws.


Round the next.  Init order as in prior posts.
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 57
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
She adjusted her aim and pulled the trigger a second time, sending another burst of bullets into the monstrosity, hoping to shatter is remaining eye, realizing her pappenheimer would be next to useless against a creature of metal, and her pistol was already in her hand.

(22:31:20) Minion: Silveressa rolls 1d20 and gets 16 (+1 for master crafted GLock, = 17 total plus any attack bonus for being in close quarters)
(22:44:23) Minion: Silveressa rolls 2d6 and gets 2,5. (+2 for burst fire) =9 points of damage assuming she hit.

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »
The bullets slammed home, ripping off more organic bits and denting the metal ones.  Smoke began billowing out from its back, aweful acrid stuff.

No longer moving as smoothly, it still pressed on its attack...


FYI: Your dex bonus applies to firearms :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:20:02 AM by valadaar »
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »
Another shot, another miss. She was a hunter after all, used to kill animals, but this... She wasn't even sure what this was. Why would someone create something like this, and who would be able to... It was enough to unnerve her.

Last time I'm using that bloody chatroller. It's always seeded on the low side.

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
Marcus smiled. People could be annoying at times and bothersome, but an enemy... an enemy is simple and clear. The enemy doesn't play games, an enemy simply goes for the kill. And in that regard, robots made the best kind of enemies.

But people needed him. And so he sprung into action. His comrades were shooting it, but that seemed to have not much of an affect on the beastie. Perhaps something more direct would.

Marcus yelled, something more to encourage himself than to discourage it, and did something that in hindsight was probably very stupid. He dropped his weapons, his axe and Qwell's rifle thudding as they hit the ground, and ran at the beast and tackled it.

Not quite sure if this counts as a bull rush or a grapple attempt, or even what modifiers I get. So I just rolled a d20 and got a 10.

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
The creature didn't seem to react to Marcus's charge, apart from a half-hearted snap of its jaws as Marcus managed to make contact.  Grabbing the thing, it was slowed down significantly.  None of Tilly's crew fired at the thing for fear of hittng Marcus.


There are Grapple rules. Your CMB (Combat manuver bonus) is your BAB (2) + Strength bonus (5), or 7, so your roll is 17.

The thing has a CMD of 7, amazingly enough, so you _just_ hit.

However, since you don't have Improved Grapple, you grant it an Attack of Opportunity, which it missed.

You do not cause any damage to it this round, though next round you could attempt to do so if it does not throw off the grappel.  Other than that:

Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple.






   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 57
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
With a blink in surprise Asha noticed Marcu's sudden appearance upon the beast as she paused in shock, taking a few steps back to put more distance between herself and the monstroisty while pulling out her flashlight, hoping to blind the beast in its remaining eye and halt its progress.



(09:43:04) Minion: Silveressa rolls 1d20 and gets 8. +4 for dex bonus = 12 on my roll to shine a flashlight in its eyes.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
Carnegie took some deep breaths and tried to steady her weapon, with Marcus holding it down and Asha shining a light on it, this should work dammit.
She held her breath and squeezed the trigger, her eyes looking down the length of the barrel... BAM!

Going back to using my own dice again. Rolled a 14 +7 +1, total of 22, -4 for shooting into melee. Dunno if the flash-light offers any additional bonuses. If hit, 5 +7, total of 12 +1 damage.

Online Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
Anya was momentarily taken aback by the things stubborn refusal to cease functioning. She then aimed at the thing, now with a grappling Marcus clinging onto it, and decided against firing another .50. If that thing hit Marcus, there wouldn't be much left. Switching instead to her Glock 20, she thumbed off the safety and fired at it's already exposed "eye" socket trying to hit the circuitry inside.

(10:47:13) Minion: Kassy rolls 1d20 and gets 9. +5 for dex iirc. Not sure what else I have to roll. d**ned unfamiliarity with system.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
Carniegie's shot struck something important as the dog writhed in Marcus's grip.  It fell limp catching Marcus by surprise.

At that point he noticed a bright flashing red light on the exposed circuitry of the cyberdog's head.  It reminded him of something....

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
Marcus stared down at the head for a moment, down at the red blinking light. He remembered a red blinking light. He did not appreciate seeing a red blinking light now.

"s**t!" he said, and then yelled, "Take cover!"

He stood, holding the head of the dog in one hand, the body in the other, and ripped, his musceles bulging, as he attempted to pull the dog's head, and the bomb with it, away from the body.

Rolled a 19, +5 St for 24. If that's enough to rip the dog's head off, then Marcus will throw the head off into a place without people, not necessarily a place without buildings. I roll a 10 for the throw.

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
The metal neck parted, sparks flew and the sound of arcing electricity snapped out, along with a short gush of blood.   A moment later, Marcus hurled the thing's head over the wall, the only sound being the wet thump as it hit the ground.

The body fell, silent and still as well.  No lights, no boom.

Everyone was quiet.

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 57
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
Asha nodded and quickly slammed home a fresh magazine into her Glock, scanning the area for any more of the monstrosities, speaking in quietly urgent tones, "Anyone injured? There may be more so stay alert."

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
"Gosh Ah sure hope not... De way dat thang was movin, n'd de armor onnit. Ah dun wanna see anymore a those." Carny shook her head. Pondering whether to climb a building for a better position, but decided against it, she needed to stay mobile. If nothing else turned up, she decided to investigate the clanker closer.

Never increase the AC when you're buffing enemies, just saying  :wink:

Online Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
"I'm good, what about you, that thing seemed pretty darn determined to end you," Anya said slowly, relieved that the thing had been put out of commission by Marcus tearing it's mechanical head off.

There hadn't been an explosion from the thrown head, so she turned to Marcus and said, "do you think that could be a tracking beacon that you saw instead of a bomb?" She shuddered at the thought of more of these prowling around, destroying the place she called home.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
"Ya think I have any idea if it was a tracker?" Marcus asked incredulously. "I'm here to hit things, not do machines. If you want to check out the head, be my guest. I'm stayin' on the safe side of the wall."

He turned to Carnegie, and said, "Think you can get some use out of the body? Scrap parts or somethin'?"

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
"Umm, well dis here thang's probably made a fancier bits n' stuff than Ahm used to. Ah'll have a look-see though..."

"Jess hopin it won't blow up in mah face..." She mumbled and approached the body, opting to prod it a couple of times first with the butt of her rifle.

Not sure what would be appropriate, I got a 19 on the roll though, so add whichever makes more sense;

engineering +5
knowledge (elec) +6
knowledge (mech) +6

I'm trying to find salvagable parts and/or find anything of interest in the body



Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »

Nothing came of the prodding, so Carnegie looked more closely.

While the dog was obviously outfitted with sub-dermal (mostly) armor and a number of unmarked enclosed boxes, it would seem that most of the electronics were either buried deep enough to require butchering the dog, or had been contained in the now absent head.  What bones were visible had a silvery rigid mesh over them.  Fibers ran from other boxes into the muscles.  The dog appeared to be about half and half robot to organic.  She also noticed scars here and there that were very hard too see - whoever or whatever stitched this dog together had done a very good job.  One box, high up and near the spine, sprouted a long, very thin metal rod.  The rod ran nearly the length of the spine, held close with metal  strips, stopping a few inches before the tail.  Might be an aerial.





   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
"Uh...g-guys? Ahm thinkin dis doggy majt be air-born. So uh... heads up." She said and worriedly scanned the dark skies, then she bent down and drew her knife to carve the corpse up.

Gonna butcher the corpse then, 9 +7 for survival.

Online valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3242
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »
Inside the Thoracic cavity, two plastic-enclosed cylinders could be found - one with an array of leads extending everywhere, and another with a single set of leads that appeared to have lead to the neck at one point.

Scars from the surgery that implanted these devices was apparent here, but again showed signs of very careful workmanship.

Tilly and her sons saw to Beau or were watching for additional attack.  Outside the sound of townsfolk working at extinguishing small fires could be heard.


btw-   aerial = Antenna


 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:31:32 AM by valadaar »
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®