llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old School  (Read 128412 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
"Indeed, there is dear, the walls have a good vantage, but by far the best, if you are adventurous, is the Red Tower itself.  Mind yourself climbing up if you do. The ladder is in pretty good shape, but by no means perfect."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »
"Thanks I'll check it out." She smiled and nodded again, following Tilly's directions to reach the tower, eyeing the ladder with uncertainty. With a deep breath she grasped it in her gloved hands and began the ascent carefully, idly wondering if she'd run into anyone else also enjoying the view once she reached the top.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »
As Asha climbed the ladder - a mix of old, rusted metal rungs, and recent wooden replacements, she got a better picture of the main Red Tower enclosure. Looked smaller up here.

Woops! That rung was loose. Someone would have to fix that. Still, she pressed on and reached the observation platform - it too a mix of old metal and new wood.

The sun was setting in the west, she saw the green expanse of Kenebac, a few houses poking up here and there, then the silvery river, and then the far hills she new blocked her view of the Deathlands, a land deadly with mechanical horrors.

A little to the left, she could see the top of the great white arcology she escaped from. 

Odd motion a few hundred meters from the Redwall fortifications caught her eye, but what it was escaped her.  Whatever it was, it was short and fast.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
After leaving the Mayor's office, Anya trekked slowly down to the Red Tower, meaning to set up her cannon to scour the surrounding area and further out for signs of activity. Forewarned is forarmed. She grinned to herself, memories of serving coming to the surface. These however, quickly turned grim at the flashing image of her buddy. There hadn't even been enough left to scrape up.

Get a'hold o' yourself girl! You'll hold out a little longer.

Making her way up the creaking and rusted ladder, she was surprised to see the lady they had rescued earlier up here. With that leg too. Suspicion flickered, then dimmed.

"It's beautiful up here isn't it?" she asked quietly, "I usually come up here on a night, do my through the looking glass act, then rest and seek solace in the sunsets."

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Asha nodded, pleasantly surprised to have companionship, Anya's arrival pushing her sighting of the unknown animal from her thoughts for the time being as she curled her legs under her and pulled down at the edge of her denim skirt slightly.

"Just sitting around Tilly's all evening was going to drive me nuts," She confessed with a grin, gesturing to the sunset, "Besides natures light show is free to enjoy, and my lack of funds precludes me from hanging out at the local watering hole, and there's @!#$-all-else to do around here for fun." She clarified with a laugh. "My leg didn't much enjoy the climb, but the breeze and view from up here is worth the trip, you said have a telescope you look up with?" She tilted her eyes skyward briefly, realizing the lack of light pollution would give someone a breathtaking view of the heavens in a town like this.

"Back in Stonehammer there was so much light from the city you'd be lucky to see anything over head beyond smoke, clouds and if you're lucky, the moon." She reached into her jackets inner pocket and produced a small flask, unscrewing the top and taking a quick swing before offering it to Anya with a smile and wink, "Go on, it's good stuff, I got it from an actual brewmaster in Stonehammer, it'll put the rot gut they have in most places to shame."

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
Taking the flask in her hand and raising to hold it under her nose, she tentatively gave it a sniff, her eyes lit up at the fiery fumes emanating from within and she smiled. She took a swig and let it burn down her throat, before handing it back to Asha with a grin spread across her face and flashing her slightly more pointed canines. "That is good! I might have to make a midnight.. excursion at some point." It'll do brilliantly for now, and kick back even better once I get some tablets!

"A telescope?" she mused, "Oh no dearie, I have this" Anya pointed toward the .50 she had laid against the barrier after climbing up. "She's my baby, my beautiful, roaring, lioness!"

She felt the pride rushing through her, almost adrenaline-like. Or perhaps that was the alcohol. She didn't mind which, it felt good.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Asha eyed the rifle with approval, having seen similar weapon in the towers of Stonehammer in the hands of decidedly trigger happy guardsman, wondering silently if the woman before her had more reserve. "Please, just call me Asha," She told her with a warmer smile, taking another swig from the flask before tucking back under her coat.

She eyed Anya's canines with a tilt of her head, wondering briefly if it was her imagination or if they were unnaturally lengthened? It would be nice to find other muties, or at least a place where being one won't get me strung up by a mob and killed. "So, have you lived here all your life?" She asked casually, admiring the sunset from behind her glasses, looking forward to the approaching darkness when they would be no longer necessary. "Compared to Stonehammer this place is down right-" She hesitated, finding the words droll, and quaint to seem a bit demeaning, "Tame and laid back, it's quite a change from what I'm used to." She confessed, patting the tower top next to her.

"Feel free to take a seat, I don't bite, well not unless a pretty girl asks me to, and even I'm gentle." She said with a wink and giggle.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »
Qwell's home was an array of old vans he had pushed together and patched up with wood.  Moldy seats were removed and replaced with wooden benches and the like and formed a small warren of structures.

He chose those with still good windshields and reasonably free of dents.

Then one window shattered violently, and moments later, other windows were suddenly painted red.

Asha and Anya could hear the sound of the shattered windshield from their high vantage point, but only barely.  A black blur could be seen leaving the small cluster of vehicles, heading toward some thick brush.

Anya rushed to grab her rifle, but the target was no longer visible when she had the scope up.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Asha half drew her Glock at the sound of shattering glass, the black blur well out of handgun range. "I saw that thing earlier near the wall!" She exclaimed, moving over to the ladder and quickly sliding down by holding the side rungs, a burst of adrenaline quelling the ache of her leg. Upon hitting the ground she moved towards the van house at a slightly less than brisk pace, gritting her teeth against the occasional painful twinge of her injury.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
"You'll fit in alright here, Asha, don't worry about it, it's through being a collection of oddballs that we become normal," Anya replied with a grin before adding "the pace is nice and gentle here, we patrol when something comes up, which isn't all too often.." She paused, in recent times things had picked up..

"Feel free to take a seat, I don't bite, well not unless a pretty girl asks me to, and even I'm gentle." She said with a wink and giggle.

Anya, felt a giggle of her own pass her lips at the woman's welcome forwardness. It had been a while. A long while, and her teasing statement intensified Anya's longing for closeness.

The smash and tinkling of glass ruined the moment and as Asha slid down the ladder, she yelled down after her "send a runner to the Mayor and our captain of the guard!"

She resumed scanning the area around the van, sweeping in wide arcs around it to detect any unusual movements or displacement of the surrounding area.

A single raider? They don't operate like that.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

• Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
Marcus sighed at Louis' comment, but wasted no more breathe in response. They heaved it ever closer to its destination when Marcus as well heard the windshield's destruction.

"What the @!#$ was that?" Marcus said, scanning the area, setting down his side of the weapon. "Come on, we should check it out."

Whatever it was, it had all ready done him a favor. For which he would repay it, if it was hostile, with a taste of his axe's steel.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:27:45 PM by Marcus Anthony Sauvage »

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
Nothing was visible in the open, apart from some very recent tracks, heading from the van to a lightly wooded area, though heavy with brush.

As they approached the van, the silence from it, and the amount of blood on the windows spoke to the scene inside. 

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
Marcus approached the van warily. He eyed the tracks leaving, attempting to judge what kind of monster it was, before he looked at the van. He noted the splattered blood, the shattered windshield, the ominous silence.

Still, he came to a decision. Qwell could still be alive somehow, though Marcus wished fervently, for Qwell's sake, that it were not so. The tracks could wait.

"Louis, can you guard the area, in case it comes back? I'm going in." So saying, he swung his body in through the windshield, dropping stealthily. Who knew, multiple beasties could have come in, and only some had left. Eyeing the scene, he went in search of the body. He had to see this for himself, had to see what manner of creature he faced, whether it was worthy of mercy.

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
Asha arrived just in time to see Marcus vanish into the interior, confident he could handle himself in the close confines alone without much difficulty. She gave Louis a polite nod before kneeling down next to the tracks, giving them a closer look. While she was no ranger, she did could at least tell the difference in tracks   to recognize dog from cat, or the more distinctive outline of a humanoid imprint.

(perception/lore roll please Val?)

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

The first thing that Marcus noticed were the eyes -lolled back as Qwell's head looked towards him, nearly severed by what appeared to have been a single, ferocious bite to the throat.  Blood covered the interior and was still quite wet.

Qwell's battered hunting rifle lay close at hand - a poor weapon in the enclosed space of his home.

--------------------------

Asha found the prints were quite clear - canine and deep, surprisingly so. 

Anya hear the sound of the breakage of sticks as something was running away in the distance, but the brush denied her any target...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
The crashing of the man or creature charging through the brush gave her a direction, but the brush itself obscured any targets. With everyone else behind the line she opened up into the area, loosing off 3 rounds each further away than the last.

With a yell from her position atop the tower, Anya directed the others into the brush before shouldering her rifle to grip the ladders rails and slide down herself. She then pulled her Glock and made to catch up with the others.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
Waited near the tracks, knowing that to charge blindly into the bush after a man killer right as full dark arrived was to offer herself as its next victim, night vision or no. "The trail will be there in the morning, and unless someone has some real powerful lightning, following it in the dark is a lost cause anyway, we're more likely to blunder into bandits or other predators than find this thing." She offered to those within ear shot.

She winced slightly at the sound of the high caliber rifle, mentally calculating the cost of every bullet, especially ones of such rare manufacture; hopefully the mayor was picking up the tab for ammo expenditure.

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
Marcus looked down at the scene, unable to look away for a couple of moments. He stared at the head, questions thundering in his head. If it was an animal, why didn't it eat the head? Or at least bring it as a snack for later. Maybe it came to kill, maybe it just loved the taste of murder. Whatever the case, a beast that could do this, that could sever head from neck with a single bite, needed to be removed.

He moved to leave the scene, when the rifle caught his eye. To take or not to take? He wanted a gun, and partly needed one, especially for its purpose: hunting. It wasn't like Qwell needed it. But it seemed a tad disrespectful to loot the place so soon after it owner was killed. He shrugged. Perhaps he could assuage the souls of the dead by killing their killer with their own weapon.

Marcus left with the hunting rifle in hand, stowing any extra ammo Qwell had in a pocket Marcus searches the place for ammo, taking nothing but ammo for the rifle. Stats for gun would be appreciated.. He blinked in the harsh sunlight.

"Qwell's dead. He died quick, far as I can tell," he told the assembled people gruffly. "If yer squeamish 'round blood, I wouldn't suggest goin' in there."

He eyed the approaching darkness, and then he eyed each person in turn: Anya, Louis, the new girl, and then he said, "Come on, we got a beast to kill."

With one eye on the trail, he set off into the woods, the night, and justice.

Marcus is not out of earshot or very far: you may choose to follow or talk him down

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
As Marcus was inspecting the van, and as he retrieved the rifle, he heard the Boom of the heavy caliber rifle.

A stump burst into splinters.

Boom!

A round buried itself into the dirt.

Boom!

A rock shattered into pieces.

Running feet flew deeper into the underbrush, unscathed but certainly hurried on its way.

Rifle has stats per 7.62 Remington.  2d10, 5 round internal storage (slow reload, each round needs inserted). -2 to hit due to damage, and fumble range increased to include nat 2 and 3.  Converted to blackpowder.   Rifle is currently loaded, and a box with 21 rounds was found quickly.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:19 AM »
Carny was in the bathroom, washing her hands after a long evening of tinkering with the old car wreck. Tilly's beau Sig had helped her out, but progress was slow. She pulled her pants down and sat down on the cold porcelain stool, it was broken of course, like everything else, but with a water bucket serving as a means to flushing it, it still served its original purpose as well as being a rare piece of luxury.

The cool evening air wafted in through the barred window, when the chorus of bugs was broken by rifle fire. One, two, three shots. Something must have happened. Carnegie hurriedly finished, pulled up her pants and ran back out to her room and geared up. A tired Elvis was roused by the activity and followed suit. Together they sprinted towards where Carny judged the sound to have emanated, rifle on her back.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »
Anya caught up to Marcus as he checked over the weapon he'd picked up near Qwell's remains. Messy.

The fast approaching darkness wouldn't help them track whoever, or whatever had caused this. "We'd be better off locking the town down. Posting dual sentries. See if there are any NVGs in the armoury that we can distribute."

"There's little to be gained by pursuing it now. We can do that on the morrow. For now, I suggest we secure this town." She said, nodding her approval at Asha's sensible words.

"That said, if you want to push on Marcus, you've got me at your shoulder."

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »
"Chasing a man killer in full dark is a great way to become its victim or blunder into a raider encampment, the trail will still be there in the morning, and we can follow it without lights giving away our position to  two legged predators," she suggested helpfully. "Shoring up whatever hole in the wall allowed it go get in here is a more pressing concern anyway I'd imagine."

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
Marcus paused as he listened to the two women, his eyes never straying from a particular spot of the forest before him, as if the maple leaf's gentle swaying held such mystique wonders to keep any sage of the world entranced. His sight never wavering, he spoke.

"Justice cannot wait, it must be sought and fought for; no one else in this desolate world in which we live will fight for it for you. True, as its you who's gettin' it, its equal parts justice and vengeance, but even so, it must be fought for. Justice, or the pursuit of it at least, is what separate man from beast," and here his voice dipped low, so low the others could barely hear it, even if they strained their ears, "even if both lie in the same creature."

Here he turned, to face his audience. "If you lot say wait, then I will wait, and we shall go hunting at first light. But if you say go, or even choose not to answer, then I will go. But you- you did not see what that thing did to him."

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
"What you're saying makes sense of course, and I agree with you."

Anya paused, nodding briefly at Asha's words, before continuing.

"We can pursue the killer tomorrow, after we have done our best to ensure the safety of the towns inhabitants. The main thing, as you've rightly pointed out, is to fix the holes in our perimeter. After which we should do a full sweep, to see if we can discover any further gaps we are unaware of."

Kassandra Quilldancer

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
The three shots had drawn the full attention of the garrison at Red Tower and the wall facing them bore a good number of armed Kenebacers.

Luis came up shortly, along with some others, including Kreadle and the Mayor.

"What the hell happened here?" said the mayor, "More coyotes? If so, never seen them do anything like that." he pointed to the red windshields. 

You are currently outside of the actually quite small walled portion of Red Tower.  The community is too sprawling to have a solid perimeter, and most of the homesteads are independantly fortified to some degree. Qwells was fairly lightly fortified, counting on the close proximity of the Red Tower fortress.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®