llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old School  (Read 130389 times)

0 Members and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3247
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Old School
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
The walk back to Red-Tower was uneventful after the coyotes and school, with few if any real answers.  What had killed the coyotes? What was behind that door in the basement, and why the hell did Luc’s crossbow end up incinerated.

Richards took their debriefing, and was quite interested to hear about the door in the basement.

For now, they could take a short break, things seemed a little quiet.  Nothing appeared to have happened during their expedition.

"Lets take a look at the junk we found," said Kredel.   

ooc - returning characters, please decide how the last few items will be divvyed.  There will be a bit of time to allow for new characters to join, and for the love of Pete, for Shadoweagle to return :P   
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline TherafterGM

  • Nomad
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

She had eluded the d**n Kings Marine for the third time today, though now she was holed up in an old factory of some kind. 


She heard something behind her - how the hell did _that_ get there? She was bringing her weapon around when there was a bright flash, momentary agony, and then nothing.


Where was she? Someplace far fancier. So much light, smooth floors. A bed? Restraints.

Needles!

Why can’t she remember his(?) face? Someone was here.

----

The cloud passed.  She was herself again and they missed something.  The locks were not that good - which was good given the tools she had.

That done, time to leave.

Alarms, running feet, she ran left and right through a maze of corridors.  More flashes of light but they missed.


It looked like a motorcycle though it lacked wheels, but it rose off the ground slightly at her approach - whining of some mechanism filling the air.  Lights near the handlebars glowed - they beaconed really - and she climbed on.  The exterior door appeared to open automatically - why? She was not really inclined to argue - the door to the hanger was being breached and she turned the throttle.  She did not expect the speed it put on as she blasted out into the open air.

The structure behind her was huge - white and clean, with many towers and windows  - a story-book castle - she had looked back to see if she was being chased.  She was. Another door had opened and out came a pair of similar vehicles.

Controlling the ‘bike’ was a bit challenging - it did not respond quite the same as motorbike, and her experience with _that_ had been minimal. 

The two pursuers had blocked her from reaching Stonehammer, though that place really did not represent safety.  The ‘Marine would certainly notice her buzzing in on this thing. 
Flying barely above treetops she took a random route - she had no idea where she was going. The occasional blast of energy nearby reminded her of her pursuit.   

Then another one ended it.

The Bike dropped out of the air like a stone - it had no surfaces to maintain lift - and she had little time to brace herself as she plummeted through the foliage.  It hit a heavy branch, spinning the bike and sending her on a different trajectory.

Which was good, as the bike slammed solidly into a tree and promptly exploded.

She slammed into the side of some wooden structure and smashed through.

As she lay stunned, two hoverbikes flew overhead unseen.  They turned and went back the way they came.

......

Some time after the division of spoils, such as they were..


The blast of the bike’s power supply could be heard all over Redtower, and much of Kenebac.

Kreadle looked up from the garden he was working on.

Marcus was beating on the door-shield he was building.

Carnegie was out on a walk with Elvis.  They had bonded even tighter thanks to their recent adventure.  Lucus had been keeping his distance, doubtless still put off by the destruction of his weapon, or was it something else?

Anya was walking back from the town’s makeshift range - they had come onto a good amount of ammo through trade and she had had the rare opportunity to practice.

The range was not far from Redtower and it was not long before the Mayor found her. “Anya, Get some people together and go see what’s up with that.“



------

“Is she dead?”

“Did you see the body? No? Then get the @!#$ back there and make sure. Bring me her teeth if thats all you find.”







« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:48:32 AM by TherafterGM »

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
Asha sat up painfully, the feeling of something broken under her left hip giving her a pang of fear coupled with a flash of anger. Rolling gently to the side she risked a quick look and winced, closing her eyes at the tear inducing sight.

Her violin, the antique Spruce and Maple wood cracked in multiple places, several strings curled in upon themselves, the tail piece broken entirely at the hilt.

"s**t." She cursed under her breath listening to the sounds of the hover bikes as they swindled into the distance, the weight of her handgun reassuring under her left shoulder, and the leather hand grip of her sword still firmly sheathed at her belt.

Time to move, put as much distance between here and the crash sight as possible, after the room stops spinning and I catch my breath.

Offline Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:15 AM »
_Ka-whoomph!_ The blast reverberated in the air around Anya, momentarily stunning her. there one moment, gone the next.. She shook her head, willing the image to subside. It wasn't every day that one heard such a blast. In fact, they hadn't had anything this large or close to them in quite a while.

The range was not far from Redtower and it was not long before the Mayor found her. “Anya, Get some people together and go see what’s up with that.“

Glancing up as the Mayor arrived, she gave him a nod to show she'd understood. Tasking acknowledged.

Before setting off, Anya made sure both her cannon and the Glock 20 had enough rounds to last in an extended firefight. The size and sound of that explosion was reason enough to believe that there would doubtless be follow-up elements en route. Possibly a SaR group, probably the opposite. They'd need the ammo.

----

She made sure everything was strapped down and set off at a quick jog to gather her group. Heading first to Kreadle and Luc, before coming to Marcus - that banging could only be caused by one person - "Get your axe ready, we gotta get Carny and then go check out that blast!".


Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline caesar193

  • Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • *
  • Posts: 457
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Marcus sighed heavily. All he wanted to do today was finish modifying this door. It seemed that both Anya and the Fates were conspiring against him. "Why the hurry?" He asked. "Threats wouldn't d**n well announce there presence like that." Unless its a big threat, with lots of pointy bits and weapons, he added silently. He looked around for a moment, then dropped the shield and ripped a page put of his journal, scrawling the words 'Marcus Sauvage's Door- Thieves shall perish in agony' on it, adding a quick sketch of what would happen to thieves for the illiterate, and dropped it on the door. He then eyed his newly sharpened axe and followed Anya.

"Though I do hope for a threat," he added confidentially. "Things have been pretty @!#$ing boring since we got back from them coyotes."

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 41
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
Carnegie and Elvis were already outside the walls when Anya and Marcus came running. Their goal was clear, no explanation needed. Find out the source of the sound. With the gait of a hunter well familiar with her hunting grounds, Carny moved stealthily towards the unknown, Elvis and the rest by her side.

(19:27:58) Minion: Gossamer rolls 1d20 and gets 12. 12 +10 for Stealth, total of 22.

and Perception (19:35:30) Minion: Gossamer rolls 1d20 and gets 15. +4 Total of 19.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3247
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
The small group found the epicenter fairly easily - a small column of smoke indicated a large tree blown in half by some type of explosion. Fragments of some metal vehical lay strewn about. The smell of something chemically filled the air, though none could identify it.

A nearby shed showed signs of recently broken wood - the silver grey giving way to clearer wood on its edges.

Have rolled for Marcus and Anya for their own stealth. Anya was not perfect, so Asha is aware of something out there.  Marcus and Carnegie were quiet.

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
Asha looked up in alarm, the sound of movement outside giving her a rush of adrenaline. The bikers? Back to make sure their kill was complete? Or predators drawn by the noise and smell of wreckage, the conflicts of man usually an indicator of food in some fashion for carrion eaters.

Drawing her Glock she carefully retreated into the shadows deeper within the buildings interior, the rusted hulk of some long forgotten piece of machinery providing ample cover and giving her a clear line of sight at the entry points.

Let it be just a curious animal, the last thing I need is combat, the soudn of gun fire will draw those hover bike goons back here in a hurry if they're still patrolling  anywhere  in sound of the gun shots.

Stealth roll for concealing herself in the building: Minion: Asha rolls 1d20 and gets 13. (+8 stealth bonus for a total of 21 before factoring in any situational modifiers)

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
Marcus silently cursed under his breathe. The silence seemed to accent Anya's mistread, as well as the nearness. He eyed the shed warily. There was always the chance that if there was something in there, it hadn't heard them. Of course, there could be someone somewhere else, and waiting for the group to trap themselves in the shed. He sighed. However much he liked the idea of kicking down the wall, it wasn't practical.

He waved to Carnegie to follow him in, and motioned to Anya to watch for enemies around the woods. Hoping they'd actually do that, Marcus continued to stalk forward, towards the shed, looking for a hole in the wall. In a practiced motion, he slung his shield out in front of him, holding his axe at the ready. Ears straining for the sound of an enemy, muscele's tensed to react to one, Marcus stealthily approached the shed.

Perception: 19+5=24, Stealth: 15+2=17

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3247
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
Anya and Carnegie approached the shed carefully behind Marcus, when Elvis began sniffing loudly.

A moment later, he began to bark and headed quickly to the shed...

Carnegie is closest to Elvis, and so first to act if she chooses to

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:10:53 PM by valadaar »
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
Asha adjusted the grip on her Glock slightly as the barking began, listening intently for the shouted commands of the animals owner, or the barks of other dogs that would indicate a feral pack had caught her scent.

She tensed slightly and readied herself for a quick evasion should the animal prove hostile, fervently hoping it's bark was an indication of discovery and not aggression.

Offline Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Anya crouched low, bringing her cannon to bear on the entrance to the shed and clicked the safety off.

"Marcus", she hissed, "don't do anything.. rash, when you go in there."

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 41
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Carnegie's fingers failed to grasp Elvis's fur. She grimaced and flung herself to the side of the doorway, crouched down and drew her gun. Lousy mutt, some hunting dog you are. If this was your last mistake... God help me. Carny's heart pounded in her chest, but she wasn't soppy enough to risk human lives over a dog's.

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »
Marcus had none of Carnegie's caution. He grinned at Anya, and said, "me? Do something rash? You have the wrong guy."

So saying, he walked straight into the doorway, though he did look for threats. Marcus walked in with an easy lope, his shield in front and his axe non-threatening. He figured any dangers in there might only expect him; Carnegie and Anya might still surprise them. Plus, he knew he looked the type to be not stealthy and screw up the stealthy approach.

The comparative darkness of the interior of the shed compared to outside it momentarily jarred his perception, but then he only really needed to look at Elvis. The dog would lead him right to whatever was in here. Even though it was probably only dog food.

"Where is it boy?" Marcus asked in the tone people reserve for interactions with dogs. "Whaddya smell?"

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3247
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »
Elvie ran straight through the door and quickly rounded the metal hulk contained within.  He stopped short of Asha, tail wagging, sniffing and panting at the occupant.

She also caught the words spoken outside the doorway, "Me, do something rash?"   She caught the darkening of an approaching figure well before he breached the doorway.

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
Asha tensed as the dog padded into the interior and nosed at her, followed by what she presumed was it's owner, who seemed cautious, but not overly hostile.

"Easy now," She said gently, stepping out from behind the rusted chunk of machinery, keeping her pistol held in both hands, but pointed down and to the side, her index finger up above the trigger alongside the weapons frame.

"I'm not looking for trouble, that boom you heard earlier was my bike, it suffered a malfunction and I lost control. I bailed before it blew up and fell in here. If this is your land just point me to the closest piece of civilization and I'll be off it as quick as I can." She reassured him, keeping one eye on the dog just in case it decided to get over friendly, the last thing she needed was it rooting through her rucksack for rations.

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
"This ain't my land," Marcus said. "Close as I can figure it, this is the town of Kenebac's land. We'll have to bring you there, to clear up this whole explosion business."

To make himself seem less threatening, he put away his shield and lowered his axe in an easy I'm-not-about-to-kill-you way, but still easy for him to raise and start chopping away of need be. He then called Carnegie and Anya in, telling them that it was safe.

"So. Who are you, and what the @!#$ are you doing biking 'round here?"

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
Asha grinned at his ready display of profanity, smoothly holsting her glock in a well practiced motion, crossing her arms in a relaxed manner; one could tell a lot about someone's culture and a bit about themselves from the way they talked.

She leaned against the wall comfortably, and held down a small piece of dried fish for the dog as she answered the mans questions. "I'm Asha, and I was running from a couple of bandits on hover bikes, this direction was the one I happened to be flying in when I crashed." She shrugged casually. "How far is Kenebac? An before we depart, I'd at least like to know the names of my escorts."

Offline Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 05:26:54 AM »
Marcus' shout telling them things were fine and an absence of combat noise, calmed Anya somewhat, but she wasn't going to let her guard down so easily. "I'd much prefer it if y'all came back out here, nice and slow and whoever you've found in there with their hands in plain sight!" Better to be overly cautious than dead.

Switching from her cannon to the Glock 20, she stood up and moved the relative safety of a thick tree, holding the weapon ready. Just in case.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Marcus Anthony Sauvage

  • Raging Brute with Big Axe
  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Barbarian of caesar193
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
Marcus sighed at Anya's words. Caution was all well and good, but too much caution...

"Here, come on. Let's get all the introductions done together," Marcus said to Asha. "Kenebac ain't far from here, but still, might as well keep the trip as, what's the word, ah, not-wary? As not-wary as possible."

So saying, Marcus ducked out of the shed, slipping his axe away as well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:54:33 PM by Marcus Anthony Sauvage »

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
Asha sighed, concerns about walking out into an ambush or quick imprisonment by slavers springing to mind, but slavers didn;t usually have friendly dogs, or seem to friendly.

She nodded slowly, after a moments consideration. "Fair enough, I'll wait for you to step out first and let your friends know you're not speaking under coercion and let them holster any weapons they might have trained on the door way, and then I'll be out with the dog here a few moments after."

She watched Marcus step outside, reaching down to gently scratch behind the dogs ears, slipping him another piece of dried fish. "Let's hope your owner is as nice as you are boy."


Offline Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 699
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »
Anya held her breath as Macus stepped back into the light, his curt nod and sheathed axe indicating to her indicating things were under control. She lowered her weapon back into its holster, keeping the clasp open just in case.

While waiting for the unknown to exit the shed, Anya did a quick sweep of her perimeter, checking for any unusual activity.


Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 41
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
Seeing Marcus come out alone, Carnegie asked worriedly. "Where's Elvis?" A quick explanation later, she too holstered her gun and took a few steps from the door. Curious about this new arrival, hoping she didn't try and use her dog as a hostage...

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
Asha peeked around the corner of the the opening briefly, noting the lack of readied weaponry and the over all dress of the arrivals indicated regular people, or at the least not slavers or mercenaries.

With a friendly smile and slight limp she stepped out of the doorway, giving the dog a gentle pat on the head and the group a polite nod.

"So, which way to Kenebec?"

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 41
    • Awards
Re: Old School
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
Carny bent down and grabbed Elvis's head. "Bad dog..." She mumbled. She released him and glanced at the woman limping. "Umm, are you hurt?" She queried, quickly looking down and blushed when she achieved eye contact. "...I...I can take a look at that leg..." She lamely finished.