llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Orc Civilisation  (Read 4515 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Plot Guild Article Guild Elite Article Guild Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Orc Civilisation
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »
I want ideas for " civilized " Orcs that are more then the typical tribes that one thinks of. Why should there not be an Orcish civilisation? What do you think one would be like, and is it possible with them still keeping to the Orcish values? I'm imagining the Orcish equivalent  of Byzantium here. A huge city filled with Orcs. Yes, it has it's criminals/criminal organizations and occasional riots, but most of the time all works well.

Offline Kassy

• [Disconnected]
  • Grand Master
  • Does God hide in the heavens fearing his creation?
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Orc Civilisation
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:16:19 AM »
You could have them be master craftsmen in a few unlikely trades too.

There's no reason why Orc's shouldn't be a civilised society. Their stigma is an unfair one, you shall enlighten the world Cheka!  :read:

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Too real.
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:23:02 AM »
Several guerilla Groups holds the orc nations in fear as the weak incompetent goverments pleads with other nations to send them aid. In addition, orcs have their own can-do attitude and re-creates inventions in a shoddy and cheap, yet functional style.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
There's still tribal/clan loyalty - that's just part of orcish culture. But instead of achieving negotiations through violence, they form councils not unlike the early Roman republic. The families and clans elect representatives (typically elders) to tribal councils, and the councils elect representatives to serve in an Overtribe Senate. While the tribal councils deal with local issues and conflicts - civil disputes, customary law, etc. - the Senate makes decisions for the orcish community as a whole. Still being orcs, the tribes are competitive and can't be expected to elect a single leader for the whole civilization. Instead they form committees and elect appropriate committeeorcs: this tribe is known for its trade, so its representative serves on the economic committee; these are raiders, they serve on the war council; etc., etc. The Senate also deals with tribal disputes over land, trade agreements, etc. Debate is still fierce, and occasionally breaks into fisticuffs, but being orcs this is just part of the debate process: some violence is part of the social tapestry, and even when there's voting it's often the mightiest warrior who is elected.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 07:32:42 AM »
I think looking to old Sparta would be a good place to start, a city w/o walls.

small 'knightly ' orders of like minded individuals
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
I want ideas for " civilized " Orcs that are more then the typical tribes that one thinks of. Why should there not be an Orcish civilisation? What do you think one would be like, and is it possible with them still keeping to the Orcish values? I'm imagining the Orcish equivalent  of Byzantium here. A huge city filled with Orcs. Yes, it has it's criminals/criminal organizations and occasional riots, but most of the time all works well.

If you're still interested in running with this, I'd be more than happy to contribute some ideas and even some fully developed subs. Let me know. Cheers.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline eldarbeast

• Apprentice
  • Is it fair for vegetarians to eat animal cookies?
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
They would have to demonstrate a massive alignment change, from chaotic to Lawful Evil at least... In order to maintain some continuity within themselves.

eldar
~ O.o ~ "I drank What...? = Socrates