llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What Mobile Games are you Playing?  (Read 1416 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
What Mobile Games are you Playing?
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »
There are a lot of mobile games out there for Smartphones, and most of them have free versions and some of them are really really good. What are you playing? What do you like or dislike about it, and what if any inspiration can you draw from it?

Flow Free
Big Duck Games LLC

A quirky game of connecting dots without cross the lines. While basically just a puzzle game, the way the patterns come together makes me think of circuit boards, or combination locks to virtual doors. If you know the puzzle you get past it easily, if you fumble with it long enough, activate security investigation and possibly countermeasures.

In game use? Bring up a nice vicious puzzle on a tablet, hand it to the PCs and start the timer. If they get it perfect, no alarm, if they get it but not on the first try, there is a snoop sent out, and if they run out of time, security countermeasures are deployed.

Dungeon Keeper
EA

This one I like, you build a dungeon, populate it with monsters and traps, and you raid other people's dungeons while at the same time making yours strong and dangerous enough to repel, intimidate or devour the raiding parties from other dungeon keepers. There is some flak over it as fans of the original PC games hate the mobile version and its freemium model.

The inspiration is obvious as you are building a dungeon. The challenge comes in creating dungeons that are not difficult to penetrate, but impossible to penetrate, while working with certain limitations (all rooms must be connected, rooms cannot touch, some units fly, etc). The multiplayer option also forces dungeon innovation because if you have a weak point, other players will find it and exploit it. Viciously.

Which gives you the option of making the biggest collection of traps and nastiness look like an overlooked chink in the defenses.

My dungeon is the Shark Tooth Vajina Dungeon. It eats lots of monsters and unwitting victims

GI Joe: Battleground
[i[Mobage[/i]

A standard collect the cards game with fusions, card leveling, and activated abilities that range from advanced attacks to calling in strikes from classive vehicles. Bonus is you can play both the Joes and Cobra, and can mix forces. Unlike other such games, there are maps, where you pick your path, item drops, boss battles, etc. I am particularly happy at the moment as I have a full Cobra team consisting of Baroness (starter, automatic elite) Cobra Commander (lucky rare drop) and Destro (log in bonus).

Nostalgia on high, explosions, but the interface is clunky, and I'd like to skip some animations. I like running the team and skipping the camp from the old series and going straight to the action. In the show my above team bickered, squabbled, blamed each other for their failures and kinda sucked from episode to episode. In the mobile game Baroness frequently employs Cheap Shot special attacks, calls in POGO artillery, Cobra Commander raises attack and defence values for the entire time, and Destro has a Bullet Storm attack that hits all enemies, and also calls in POGO artillery. Boom shaka laka

Hellfire: the Summoning
Mobage

A classic fantasy style collectible card game. Runs the standard common uncommon rare card tropes with solid artwork. I like the game for said artwork, and for the cooperative gameplay. There isn't a versus mode where you fight other players, which is good because on that level I am at best a casual player and in such games generally get my clock cleaned on a regular basis. I don't have the time to level grind, and wont spend the money to buy my way in.

Artwork provides the main interest, and there are regular themed events.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: What Mobile Games are you Playing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
I have a pokey windows phone so my app selection isn't that great. I do have an iPad as well though, and want to download dungeon keeper because i loved the old pc game.

I've been playing Blizzard's Hearthstone game, which is a Magic: the gathering type card game (which I've never played) and have been enjoying that - I'm a bit of a Blizzard buff. WoW and Diablo are both extensively played by me (Diablo 2 is my favourite game of all time). I always thought Hearthstone would make a good iPad game for playing in bed or whatnot, and lo and behold, they put it on there!
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline eleclipse

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:41:51 AM »

Dungeon Keeper
EA

This one I like, you build a dungeon, populate it with monsters and traps, and you raid other people's dungeons while at the same time making yours strong and dangerous enough to repel, intimidate or devour the raiding parties from other dungeon keepers. There is some flak over it as fans of the original PC games hate the mobile version and its freemium model.

The inspiration is obvious as you are building a dungeon. The challenge comes in creating dungeons that are not difficult to penetrate, but impossible to penetrate, while working with certain limitations (all rooms must be connected, rooms cannot touch, some units fly, etc). The multiplayer option also forces dungeon innovation because if you have a weak point, other players will find it and exploit it. Viciously.

Which gives you the option of making the biggest collection of traps and nastiness look like an overlooked chink in the defenses.

My dungeon is the Shark Tooth Vajina Dungeon. It eats lots of monsters and unwitting victims

If you like it i strongly recomend to get the original on gog.

This mobile reboot, imo, kinda suck a lot of the fun you could get with his system designed to push you to pay for almost everything.

Also if you like this kind of games i think you'll love evil genius, where you build your own evil lair to conquer the world :D

Sadly they are not mobile and they don't have a multiplayer.

Moral relativist – Strolenati Guild – Level 1

STR: 3 | END: 1 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

I don't need a reason!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
I am more inclined to play mobile games because if I've got time to sit at the computer to play games I'm probably going to either be writing instead or it will be that one day of the month I turn the PS3 on. Mobile games let me play at break our when I'm sittingin the car or some other time where I have a few minutes to kill.

I unfortunately have a busy schedule between my exercise routine, keeping up the housework, taking care of horses, and holding down a full-time job.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
Sitting in the lobby waiting for the car to be done in the shop, I downloaded and played the Star Wars Assault mobile game. It looks slick, and the art is good if uninspired, but the gameplay is predictable, the interface is cumbersome and slow, and the overall pace of gameplay is turn based, and even knowing that, feels slow.

If you slavishly adore the setting material, and the thought of having Han Solo, Chewie, a Gamorrian guard, and a rebel medic as a team gets you excited, this game is for you. Otherwise, plodding, heavy, and it wants to act like an RPG, but it is incredibly linear. The linear aspect is fine, most mobile games are, but this one tries to look like it's not, but you cannot advance until you open the highlighted chest, and there is no exploring. There is potential, but it is lost at the end of the day.

2/5 and a pass.