llamaenterhear

Author Topic: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald  (Read 29456 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
[Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
Inside his wood and stone carriage, Kuth rested on his massive bed; cave bear pelts making it comfortable to rest upon. Outside he heard the draft horses' hooves crunch down on mud and stone, and he heard Caldu and Enthril run on each side of the carriage in greyhound form. They were protecting their master, as was their job as apprentices. He was tired of reading, and a wyvern-leather bound tome, "The Mastery of Morphing - The Wyvern Form", slipped out of his fingers and down on the floor. Somewhere far away, he heard Vitoriel singing, her unearthly elven voice sending a tingle down his spine.



Aeomi walked beside Kuth's carriage, scrying into the Decuthrian Orb which she held in her left palm. In it she had bound the soul of Neckras - The Shadowfiend that had killed some of her kin in the village of Nurien. Whenever she thought of him, draining the life force of her infant great great great grandson, and then his mother, she felt the urge to study that orb hard and long, and she could feel Neckras studying her back. While she had warded the orb, so that his malicious essence could not influence the outside world, she could almost feel the enmity seep from him. Yet he was in her command, her eternal prisoner.

<Such a waste, Neb. A being of pure power, which could be used to fuel an artifact or at least a very powerful item, and you keep him as a piece of furniture>

Greta's presence retreated immediately. This was the first time she had heard from her in days.



Vitoriel sat in the foremost carriage, and Elquin sat beside her. She had sung "The Covenant of the Broken", a song of lamentation for the Refugee Elven Nation. Elquin could feel the hurt in the song, and tears ran down his cheeks uncontrollably.

"Mistress Vitoriel! We can see Treskenmauer downhill in the distance! Remember that we are in the Kingdom, Mistress. Time to play your roles!"



Looking down on Treskenmauer from their lofty position, the group could see about twenty white plaster houses with solid wood beams supporting the walls, thatched roofing and brick chimneys. The houses seemed to circle a marketplace and was surrounded by fields that seemed to have been sown recently. They could even see farmers behind their oxen, working the earth.

Two kilometers to the north and west of the village they saw a large forest, with deep green leaves and a canopy forty meters above the ground. It was an elder forest, and it seemed to stretch forever.

Vitoriel could sense the forest, even from up where she stood. It almost whispered to her, and she could smell it on the wind. It was an ancient place, and within those woods the fae dwelled, of that she was sure. She could sense the wisps at the edge of the forest, and the isolated pockets of Sylvan trees: The soul of the forest itself, with trees come alive. And there was magic therein; and she wondered what its source was, if it was the fae themselves, or a refugee coven of witches, or an elder entity. Whatever it was, she could smell its power.

Aeomi Nefertiri Nebuchadessar was lost in similar thoughts. She too sensed the magic hidden beneath that distant canopy, yet to her it seemed alien and dark. Her ghost attuned senses could feel the sorrow therein, and it was a place of much misery, of that she was sure.

Elquin stood still, like a deer sensing danger. He had walked that forest many times, for it was just outside the Golden City. Mirkast it was called by the residents of the Dreamscape, and within Mirkast was the Oracle, the Bringer of Prophecy. Elquin exhaled, and he felt excitement, but also fear. For the tales of the Guardian of the Oracle were numerous. And... he had not expected to find Mirkast here; in the false world of the waking.

Kuth stood flanked by Caldu and Enthril. The Half-Giant felt nothing but the glaring eyes of the villagers. He was in the shape of a fat merchant, flanked by his greyhounds. He hated Silmarites. He hated them. He could stand the presence of those within the Monestary, but here he was in the presence of pure ignorance, the blind, hateful mob of the Kingdom.

It was as if they all sighed at once, and then they began their descent down to Treskenmauer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:31:35 PM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
"Thank you, Elquin, for reminding me" Vitoriel smiled gratefully. "I will remind myself to either murder none of them - or all at once."
She was entirely earnest throughout the entire sequence.

The forest drew her curiosity in, her yearning for days gone and the innate longing of all earth-bound fey for Arcadia combining into a powerful affection for the shadowy boughs. A fascination with the dangers within, their ferocity and unbound nature, their fierce independence and defiance of the shackles of reality.
Her gaze turned back to Treskenmauer. Twenty houses today. Tomorrow the woods would be gone.

"Elquin, Ronal, find me a place for a ritual - preferrably in the hills. I have friends to call."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:50:34 AM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1860
  • Awards Golden Creator Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Elquin wiped his tear-streaked cheeks clean. It was not often that he was moved by happenings in the waking world of late, and Vitoriel's song granted him a reprieve from his own thoughts for a time. The tale sung of loss and sorrow, and embedded further into Elquin the impression that the Exiled Elves were a fey and curious race.
As Treskenmauer came into view and a rare display of unchecked emotion sneaked onto his features before hiding once more; a sneer of distaste. It seemed that even though he had spend most of his life in Ketange-Ishatal, Elquin's Ethenorden heritage was still reflected in his opinion of Silmar.


 Elquin then spotted the massive Elder forest, and he whispered "By the Stonewall of Sahr! Mirkast...! Can it be?" He was familiar with this forest; it had played nearly as large a part in his dreams as the Golden Palace. He remembered when he was but a child and before the Golden Princess felt his presence in the palace, He used to sit, hidden in the boughs of the great trees and catch glimpses of the Huntsman, leading his hounds through the forest to hunt the strange and wondrous beasts that existed in the Dream. A shiver ran down Elquin's spine... The huntsman only hunted in there in his dreams... Right?

But then a new thought came to his mind, unbidden. "Deep in the Forest Dark, " he said, not realizing he was speaking aloud, "Where the spirits thirst and long for blood. A sphere of cobalt hue lies in wait, submerged in crimson. Collect the marble, for though you have never owned it, it has always been yours. This is your first task."

"Elquin, Ronal, find me a place for a ritual - preferrably in the hills. I have friends to call."
Elquin turned to Vitoriel immediately after speaking, not realizing he had said those words aloud. "It will be done, Master." Elquin bowed respectfully, then addressed the group as a whole, "If you are to go in town to gather information, I will remain in the hills and scout the area today. Though there are no open hostilities at the moment, the colour of my skin will be enough to make conversations difficult, and I will not waste all of my dyes to blend in with so small a village. When night falls , I will find you. Master Vitoriel, when Ronal and I find a suitable place for your arcanery, I will send him back to lead you there, so I can continue getting a lay of the land. Remember the Silmar hatred of witchcraft and blend in well!"
With that said, Elquin and Ronal departed. The Thief couldn't help but worry for the Masters; they were powerful, yes, but Dieter was crucified and burned; Elquin knew well that being burned at the stake was a Silmar punishment for magic users - he had seen a few burnings in his missions to Silmar over the years.

Hunting for a nice, cleared and secluded spot for Vitoriel, after which he will send Ronal back. Elquin will then spend the rest of the day exploring the surrounding lands up to - but not inside - the edge of the forest, and the nearby surrounds, looking for landmarks, places of interest and so on. When night falls he will return to the group (sneaking in town if they are in there). I cant make any rolls, because i am on phone atm, but if AG or someone else can roll for me, it would be appreciated.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Aeomi Nebuchadessar

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Aeomi had been pacing Vitoriel's cart, preferring her feet to a numb bottom, at the mention of a ritual she pricked up her ears. "Let me know if you need my help." She offered, deciding at least to follow and bear witness.

The muddy "streets" and the hollow-eyed people were a sorry sight, disease, death, the eerie cries of too many deceased. "Man was never meant to live this way..." She mumbled to herself. Perhaps she could ease their sufferings with a sending or two. But she had other things on her mind as well. The fact that Greta's terms seemed reasonable made them all the more terrifying, she was sure there was more to come, if nothing else, Greta wanted a body of her own, that could be a heavy price to pay. She didn't allow herself to dwell too much on it, in case Greta was listening in on her thoughts. Seemed a terribly unfair prospect seeing as she couldn't hear her thoughts, but then again wouldn't that suggest the same was true for her. So many complications, dark times ahead.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:25 AM »
The caravan approached Treskenmauer slowly, the draft horses stomping and neighing. As they approached the children stopped their playing, staring wide eyed until their mothers called them back to the houses. And thus it came to be that the caravan of great sorcerers rolled into a tiny, superstitious border village of the Kingdom.

Aeomi was the first to meet up with the locals as the first carriage rolled into what passed for the village square; a well and some wooden stalls with vegetables and fish on them. But the locals seemed to have all retreated from sight, until an elderly woman with greying, long hair and a green peasant gown walked out of one of the buildings.

"Who be ye, trespassers, to be coming down from the mountains at this time of the year?", her voice was nervous, but her words were strong.



Elquin found an old place of offering, close to the road where they first spotted Treskenmauer. By the looks of it, it had been a place of ancestral worship in the ages past, but the years had not been kind to it and it had been tens, if not hundreds, of years since someone last made an offering here. His Ethenorden senses could feel a rift in the veil, however, and he instantly knew that this was a place where the Mistress would feel her magic flow freely.

After sending Ronal back, he continued his searching and exploring. Most of the lands surrounding Treskenmauer were uninteresting farmlands, but he did find a trail leading into the forest, and he saw a hut in there, but a hundred meters from forest edge. For an instance he even thought he saw a woman in there, but the moment faded and he found himself alone.

Exploring further, he found a patch of Wyldeling Roses, which he knew the Master of the Monestary favored for her famous potions. Looking further, he found a slab of stone next to the roses. He noticed faint traces of footprints that seemed to go back and forth between the village and the stone.

He had spent only three hours exploring, but without entering the woods or the village, or venturing farther away from the village, he felt he had exhausted his options in this area. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:17:00 AM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline Aeomi Nebuchadessar

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
Aeomi stepped up to the old woman, letting her staff lead her. "I be Aeomi Nefertiri Nebuchadessar, mistress of the summoning tower of the sacred circle of Ketange-Ishatal. And who be you to so boldly proclaim us as trespassers?" She took some of the edge off her words by smiling and raising an eyebrow.

"We are merely passing through and have no intentions to cause trouble in your town, if anything quite the opposite..." She assured the woman.

She glanced around at the gathered huddled masses, strange to see such bravado arise from such a downtrodden bunch.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
The old woman looked like she had been slapped across the face, her mouth was open, almost like a fish on land, gasping for air.

"Mistress of the Summoning Tower... The Ketange hereti... circle...", she stammered and stepped backwards, her eyes darted from Aeomi to the carriage beside her, to Vitoriel's carriage.

"WITCH! WIIIITCH! WIIIIITCH!", she cried.

A few secons went by as the old woman reeled backwards.

"WIIIITCH! WIIIITCH!", came the reply from the houses, and suddenly the doors opened and the peasants stormed out. Old men, young men, girls no older than early puberty, little boys, everyone just kept pouring out of their homes.

"KILL THE WITCH! KILL THE WITCH!", the elderly lady screamed, her face flushed and twisted in anger, an accusing, shaking finger pointing towards Aeomi.

They came at her with brooms and kettles, with knives and sickles. One had a scythe, another had a rusted longsword.

"BURN HER! BURN HER!", came the cries from some of the peasants.

Five grown men threw stones at Aeomi, but the stones stopped in the air before her, and dropped harmlessly on the ground.

OOC: Roll 1d10 for initative. The peasants rolled 7 and will circle Aeomi to stab her and grapple her to the ground.
 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:21:16 AM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 3952
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »
"Remember the Silmar hatred of witchcraft and blend in well!"

Kuth sighed.  Where was the vaunted wisdom Aeomi was supposed to display? Caldu had more sense, and that was saying something.

He wanted to stomp, tear, crush, and the Gods and Aeomi were not making it easy for him.

Instead, how to do this without bloodshed?  He sung a brief phrase of the Song of the Earth and stomped his foot.

(09:48:15) Minion: valadaar rolls 1d10 and gets 6. -2 so 4.

And, will use
Earthcall    Periodically, he can call upon the earth to manifest its power - usually a powerful local earthquake that can knock many people down and/or tip over unsecured objects.  This is draining and consumes X manna. If insufficient mana is available, the balance is paid in hp.

Given this is in line with his enchantments, I would like to swap it out for another perk since it does not make sense for his perks to reproduce his spells, especially when it draws manna..

Your call on manna cost for a 30' radius knock-em-on-their butt usage of this power...




In reply, the ground moved, as if it were some great puddle and the earth itself became the waves, emanating from the point of Kuth's footfall.




« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:02:55 AM by valadaar »
   
            Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®
       
   
                   
           
               
           
                   
           

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
With a mighty stomp of his foot, Kuth called upon his powers and made the earth move. His foot being the epicenter, the cracks in the earth spread out as if from the center of a spider's web, and there was an immense rumble, followed by a crack as the ground cracked apart. Screaming, several of the villagers fell to the ground.

Within a few seconds, five of the houses had minor damages. Somewhere an infant cried, his mother had dropped him during the rumble. Some villageers wailed, gruesome, horrible sounds, as they laid on the ground. The villagers' assault was over before it began; in it's stead a cacaphony of wailing voices, peasants crying and falling to their knees, begging for mercy.

"Demon-Lords! Dark-Lords! Oh Great Warlocks, spare us from your spiteful woe!", a young man begged, clenching to Kuth's other boot and kissing it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:32:32 AM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
"Spare you?" the elf though.
"What is that 'spare' you speak of?"
To the extent of her knowledge, their vocabulary did not know that word.

The inhabitants of that mudhole were all flooding into the streets, so intent on letting a little murder or lynching brighten their day.
Vitoriel shook her head in disappointment.
There she was, an eyeblink prior reveling in nostalgia, memories of caressing spring rain and fragrant symbelminё, honestly determined to let them be, to focus on the task ahead.
As ever, as always, as every single time, fate conspired to remind her that the Elven Weltschmerz had its reason - the discrepance between the world-that-was, and the world-that-should-be.

Once, she could not have done it, but this day, Vitoriel so easily reached into the beyond, and brought forth the hunger of unbeing, a singularity of death, in the midst of the lynch mob.
The broiling necrotic sphere pulled much like whirlpool at the frail souls nearby, drawing them in, and leaving limp husks in its wake.

"I will not repeat Dieter's mistake" she growled, then added to her fellows between her gritted teeth: "The dice are cast; do me a favor, let none escape." The roiling blackness spun further, feeding on more of the screaming villagers. Thanks to Kuth for knocking them over - at least they had a harder time running!

"Cover me, kill at will."
Craving Abyss. I try to catch some important-looking villagers in the vortex to capture their souls; if I get the crone, so much better.
If anyone seriously threatens me, I will go Into Thin Air.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:05:12 PM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
OOC: Rolling for spell noise
(20:13:49) Minion: Ancient_Gamer triller 1d100 og får 93.
Being a 4 memorization point spell, the chance of noise is 4x3 = 12. So a roll of 89-100 invokes a noise effect. The power of this spell has woken up some powers. (A benefit of the monestary was that it was shielded from such effects)


The villagers went limp, one by one, as their very souls were sucked into Vitoriel's black sphere. After half a minute, all, from village crone to their infants laid unconscious, their souls snared by the elven enchantments. When she was done the village looked like a ghosts haunt, with partially destroyed homes and nearly hundred bodies in the mud of the village square.

None of the villagers had escaped, but an elderly lady came running from the forest. She wore a brown gown, and carried a woven wooden basket in her left arm. Tears were running down her cheeks, and she stopped but 10 meters from the sorcerous caravan.

She stared defiantly at Vitoriel.

"When Viktor was born, he cried all night. I gave his mother wolf's milk to calm his aching teeth", she said in a quivering voice.

"When Gunhilde shed her first blood, she came running to my cottage in the middle of the night. She laid in my arms all night long as I stroke her hair and hushed her", the elderly lady continued. Vitoriel noticed she had one milked over white eye, and another of deep brown hue.

"I beg you, witch. Whatever your reasons, I beg you to release these innocents, for it has been my life's quest to help them, and I do not wish to see them slain for no apparent reason"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:28:39 PM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:56:54 PM »
"The reason is clear, and you would know, if you know them as well as you claim."
She sensed the captured, their minds alive - as long as she would let them.
"I could pry them apart, and tell of their sin, an unbiased account of the evil within."

"To cry murder upon the unknown, will sometimes succeed and sometimes fail. I have not sown the wind, crone, but I am the storm that blossomed from the seeds of wrath."

Vitoriel studied the strange woman, deciding what to do. She continued in a dispassionate mellow voice meanwhile.
"Once, man huddled in fear in the night, and showed what we mistook for reverence - t'was but wariness of consequence.  Of what the unknwon, disturbed, in wrath upon them bestow might."

She sighed. "Fair enough, your tale is sad, and it is wrong to let the many suffer for the sins of the few. Step closer, look upon their sins within, and if they still appeal to you, I will set them free."
I'll suck her in if she falls for it, or toss her into the sphere with Cloudchaser if not.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:38:06 PM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
The old lady managed to smile and nod.

"Good, good. I am glad you see reason. I was worried that the Master of the Monestary had sent lun...", and with that she let out a short scream as her soul was ripped from her body. Her woven wooden basket rolled to the ground as she collapsed, and its herbs and mushrooms were spilled on the ground.

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
"Search the houses, watch the hills. None may have learned of our passing."
She settled under a tree to study her catch. Once she was done, she'd wipe the traces of her magic; it had to be as if they never had been here.
As for the bodies, she'd think of a use or way of disposal later.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:25:14 PM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Aeomi Nebuchadessar

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
Aeomi stood gaping leaning on her staff as realization dawned on her. Silmar. <"Greta?! Did you... ">

"No! Stop wait! I..." The last villager fell unconscious to the ground.

"...." Aeomi stood staring, a whole village. It had happened so fast. What would she say to them? Well she knew one thing, she wouldn't admit fault.

"Right... I see they haven't changed much in a 100 years. You didn't have to do that, Vitoriel, I had them just where I wanted them. Well, it just so happens all is not lost, they may be stubborn fools but everyone deserves a second chance. We wait until dusk, then if you would be so kind as to return them their souls, I'll have a way of winning them over to our side without fault. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare."

With that she strode off, not wanting to hear any objections or complaints, leaving the persuasion to others. She went off alone behind some of the houses, she had to lean against a wall for support, her whole body shook, she sweated and panted. <"Gods...I should never have left the monastery...How could such a thing slip my mind..."> She held back bitter tears.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
At Vitoriel's command, Euridice and Ronal began searching for survivors. Euridice cried some tears, and Ronal bent over and emptied his bowels, but they did as the Mistress commanded. For the first time ever Vitoriel spotted fear in their eyes, but they were quick to avert their gaze, instead looking at her feet when they spoke to her.

The search yielded nothing, though Euridice returned with a silver chain necklace she found on the last crone that Vitoriel had murdered.

"She wore the Ketange-Ishatal Rune of Friendship, Mistress... She was an ally", Euridice stammered and held a silver chain with a thick plate with a rune engraved on it up, for all to see.

*****

Aeomi had left and Vitoriel was left alone with the Ketange symbol of friendship and her collection of souls. Looking into it, she found that the throng of innocents were blocked by the fury of the brown gowned crone.

"I CURSE YOU, WITCH!", she began, her voice quiverying with fury.

"BY THE WATERS OF THE RIVER KEUDREN, I CURSE YOU!", she was working her way up to a crescendo and Vitoriel could feel the old magic in her words, the buildup of a powerful spell. In midst of the words, she could sense images of the crone's past; she saw a young virgin, running across the field, and what seemed like a younger version of Dieter Sachshoff, a charming fellow with a gleam in his eye.

"BY THE MOUNTAIN KNOWN AS THE KIEBRAL, I CURSE YOU!"

Vitoriel saw the crone, now a virgin no longer, as she played with Dieter between the linen, as he taught her spells of healing and of protection. She saw the crone meet with the Master of the Monestary, and saw her get the rune and a promise of protection.

"I CURSE YOU IN THE NAME OF DIETER SACHSHOFF, IN THE NAME OF DIENNIA MYRABEL!"

Vitoriel knew she had two choices. She could let her cast her curse, and attempt to withstand it; a risky venture, but one that might have a small chance of success. It was either that, or she had to snuff out her life force before she could finish her curse; a curse invoking spirits of power of such magnitude, it would certainly have a dire effect.



Aeomi tried to breathe, but breathing did not come easily. For a while the world seemed to turn, and she gripped for something to hold on to. Then she saw Enthri, Kuth's apprentice, as she huddled in between two buildings. She was shaking heavily, and Aeomi understood she was crying. Then Aeomi spotted something beside Enthri; a little girl? It was as if Enthri tried to hide her, and slowly the two made their way between the buildings, perhaps finding their way out of the ruined village.

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1860
  • Awards Golden Creator Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
Elquin plucked a couple of Roses from the ground and stashed them in his pack. He considered entering the forest to investigate the hut, but at that moment with a rumble and a shudder, he felt the ground shake. Kuth's work, no doubt. It seemed the others had blown their cover already! They'd better not be killing everyone - more information could be gathered from a living individual than a corpse.

The door of the hut opened and an old woman ran out. Elquin hid behind a tree as she passed, and then considered following her for a moment. Finally, he decided that the Masters are fully capable of defending themselves. Elquin followed the path into the forest to the hut and quietly entered.

A quick post because I run out of time. Elquin's going to go ahead and investigate the hut for anything interesting. For breaking and entering and such, my Thievery roll: (08:15:01) Minion: Shadoweagle rolls 1d100 and gets 48. Against 95 Thief skill (-5 in daytime due to perk)
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »
Vitoriel raised one eyebrow at the outburst, then shrugged.
"I would say that if they had not changed much in a hundred years, they would have had second chances aplenty until today."

Deserving.
Well, not everybody gets what he deserves. Usually, they don't. Which seems to be an universal problem.

"Eurydice? I still do need you to retain the grand scope. We were attacked without provocation; there is a sole fate for such as you at the hands of Silmar. For me, there is a choice of two: death - or being raped for all times to come, regretting forever that the first option wasn't mine. This is reason enough for me to prefer that none of Silmar know of our passing. Would you agree?"
The elf nodded towards Ronal.
"Now, please collect the hardened mercenary off the floor, then count how much blood the Daughters of Theriastrazza will ask in exchange for their service. Ronal - you are on watch."

There were no such things as universal justice, no kind force of the cosmos seeing to it that everybody received his fair share.
Once, she had wept, her tears a memento to her belief in fairness, for despite her pleas, there was none, and never had been. Whatever fairness you wished to have in the world, whatever level field, you had to create and uphold.

Oh. The midwife still lived. Vitoriel might have remedied the woman's error and returned the soul - but the crone's fury and dire curse gave her little choice but to snuff out her life-spark, and to unravel the spirit, browsing the strands. If she was so involved in the matters of this wondrous hamlet, she would most likely know whether anything had befallen Dieter here, and what the forest could hold.

Stupid wench. Stupid lucky wench. Vitoriel shook her head, but spent unnecessarily long on the images of Dieter, before she condemned them to oblivion. She could have had him, had she wanted.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:49:42 PM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
The crone held up a defiant shield of pure will, but Vitoriel's will was like the sun, searing a hole in her defenses. As she perished, snuffed out by Vitoriel, the elven woman saw brief images of Dieter, passing through the village. He was in a hurry, and spent only one night in the crone's cottage. Then Vitoriel felt the crone await his return some months later, nd she felt her tossing restlessly at night, wondering what fate had befallen the all-powerful Fire Mage.



For Elquin, entering the cottage in the forest was all too easy. A primitive lock, defeated in less than two seconds, and he was in.

The interior was simple. A brick fireplace with ample firewood; birch by the look of it. A single and half bed, made from carved timber and painted black. Three tomes under the bed. A huge, out of the place oval silver mirror. A black cauldron in the fireplace; a staple of witchcraft and mirroring the one in the Master's chamber in the Ketange Monestary. And six shelves full of herbs, mushrooms, roots, salts of various colors and dried small animals like frogs and fish and squirrels and... three duck heads.

Walking over to the bed, Elquin found an embroidered pillow. "Dieter <3  Astrida". It had been pink once, but was more grey now, faded with age.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »
The surge of power was irresistible. Spells of magic. Spells of such magnitude, elder forces had to be at play.

The roots creaked and protested, entwined around its arms. For centuries it had wiggled and pried, wrestled and fought. For centuries the roots had held it down.

With a whipping sound, the roots snapped, all at once, and it rose from the soil.

It was hungry.

Offline Vitoriel Valthyrianё

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • There is still hope
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:01 AM »
Vitoriel went for the soul of the mad crone who had started the incident next - how could an elderly woman, in an armpit like Treskenmauer, five weeks distant from the monastery, identify Aeomi on sight? The master of the Summoning Tower hardly ever left the monastery's blessed walls, even less so in the recent decades.

There was more at work here than backwoods inbred troglodytes trying to murder a witch of their own.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:22:32 AM by Vitoriel Valthyrianё »
You were right to fear the Elves.
But you should have feared them more.

Offline Coventinae Fate-Weaver

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
There were no mysteries to be unwrapped in the village elder that had confronted them when they first arrived. The old lady, though but a child in comparison to Vitoriel, was a biased, envious and fearful individual, sheltered from experiences outside that of the small village and its outlying fields and farms. The farthest she had ventured was to the foothills of the Cyllereans, where she once saw a Half-Giant eat a goat alive, and that was that. She knew not of Aeomi on sight, but she had heard of the monestary by word of mouth in the local tavern. Also, a month ago, a Hexenjaeger patrol had passed by and warned them that the traveler Dieter Sachshoff in reality had turned out to be Dieter the Conjuror, a known accomplice of the Ardenwald Coven, the Ketange-Ishatal Cabal, and that he and his like found sexually perverse delight in demonic rituals.

Ever since the patrol had passed through, she had represented the villagers, ever catious of diabolical travelers and their succubus ilk.

In the end Vitoriel was left astounded by the fear she felt radiate from the old woman. Such fear that rivalled, or even surpassed, the fear her elven clan had felt on the run. She was afraid of strangers, of magic, of the gods, of elves and other "demons", of night, of thunder, of spiders, of snakes, of the forest, of the midwife Astrida, and there were no end to her fears. And where the fear ended, envy began. Envy of her neighbour, of the farmers, of Ylva, a young girl that had once had a fling with her husband, 20 years ago.

All in all, this was an old woman, with a sharp tongue, quick to point an accusing finger, but in reality a really small and forgettable person.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:03:23 AM by Coventinae Fate-Weaver »

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 3952
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
Kuth shook his head, how had he blacked out so?

Kuth was angry to the point of near breaking - but he had to hold it in.  So close, so close.

"You will return the souls at dusk as Aeomi asks.  We need not become like them.   I have not studied for years to rise above being a monster in soul to become one so quickly, and I will not abide others who do. There is no negotiation on this point. Do so or we are enemies.  "

"You - " he pointed to the departing Aeomi with a voice drenched with rage, "if that is an example of your learning in the monastery, then you require many, many more years there.  Let us hope their fates will at least teach you the value of thinking before you speak."

"Apprentices, gather the fallen, safeguard their bodies and make them comfortable for their return.  Caldu, keep watch and take wing to me if anything transpires."

Again, Kuth wanted to crush and destroy, but Gods, at least make them worthy...

   
            Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®
       
   
                   
           
               
           
                   
           

Offline Aeomi Nebuchadessar

  • Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
"Enthri!" Aeomi whispered as she hurried towards the apprentice. "Wait, please. I promise this child's parents has not perished nor has the rest of the village! Give her to me, I'll protect her. Even if I have to wrest the souls from Vitoriel herself, noone dies tonight! By dusk, I'll have them all back, you have my word."

Aeomi's eyes were filled with hurt and regret, but her jaw was set, she was determined to fix this wrong.

(15:33:25) Minion: Gossamer rullar 1d100 och får 54. If you need a persuasion check or something.

And if I failed my communcations roll (50), here's a magic roll to boost me up if need be (15:38:52) Minion: Gossamer rullar 1d100 och får 70. Which is 75

Offline Elquin Moss

  • Strolenati
  • Nomad
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged - 1423] Ardenwald
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Elquin browsed the interior of the hut carefully; he didn't know what to expect and honestly wasn't so sure why he had even bothered entering the place - except that it was secluded away from the village proper in the forests edge. An oddity that warranted investigation, he supposed.

Curiously, there appeared signs of witchery within the hut! Herbs and dried animal parts and such. He found three books of some significance under the bed - they were significant because the thickness and length of words on them were beyond Elquin's' grasp; so why did this elderly woman have them?
Finally, before leaving, he chose to study the mirror more closely - it was out of place in such a humble hut as this.

After his duties within the hut were completed, he left and trailed his way back to town, following the path the old woman had taken. He began his entrance into the village with caution, but soon found there was no more need for that - the scene of arcanic chaos that lay before him showed that clearly the situation had gotten out of hand.

The frustration was obvious on Elquin's face for some time before he retained his composure - these Masters... They could tear down the fabric of reality and turn flesh into stone with a wave of a hand... They were book smart and incredibly more learned than Elquin could ever hope to be... But when it came to something so simple as interrelations with other mankind? It seemed the stuffiness of the libraries has dulled their senses on the real world! It was becoming more and more obvious to Elquin as to why The Master had chosen The Thief to come along. Perhaps he should have gone in the village alone, and let the masters scout the land...

Swallowing his frustrations at the lost chance for questioning, Elquin remembered the mantra that had been passed to him by his dealings with the Dreamer; Faith is a luxury - faith in your god, or in yourself, or in others - one must not trust to faith, but Instead have the serenity to accept what course may come, and the will and ability to act wisely in reaction to that course. Still - he had no love for Silmarites, but they were peasants...
"And the whispers in the hall suggest I am the one going mad...? Since we seem to have nobody left to question, we may need to extend our search into the forest."
His voice was carefully neutral, however the disapproval was apparent; there were no words of respect, and this day for the first in many years, Elquin did not bow to his Masters.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:51:22 AM by Elquin Moss »