Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

Crayfish people

(1/1)

Maggot:
I'm planning to create a race of sentient crayfish. Although they inhabit an essentially medieval setting (Decathros), they actually have sci-fi antecedents.  Eons ago, a race of alien beings crash-landed in zone 20. These aliens actually lacked physical bodies. Their own bodies had been wiped out by a plague  unleashed upon them by their bitter foes. However, prior to their deaths, they had uploaded their fundamental brain-patterns  and memories into the ship's computers, thereby preserving their ''essence'' if you will. Searching for new bodies, they settle upon the only lifeforms that struck their fancy, large crayfish measuring about five feet from pincers to tail.     However, they were unable to eject the natural instincts of their vessels completely. The highly advanced minds of these extra-terrestrial beings have to constantly assert themselves against the predatory, brutish instincts of the crayfish. As a result, they have spawned a strange society where taboo deeds like cannibalism are regulated rather than outlawed.  Also, in order to feed their constant hunger for fresh protein, they launched obsessionally devastating  raids against their neighbors.  What prevents them conquering the whole of Dectharos is the fact that the  limited physiology of their crustacean bodies impedes their devise advanced  technology.  Is this something that would be suitable to base a sub upon? Or are there any potential problems that I need to fix? Thanks. 

axlerowes:
So they still retained their advanced knowledge and memories of the outer world.

I think it would interesting to have an advanced perspective in the world.  By using the crayfish people as narrators we could describe stuff in terms of chemistry, DNA and medicine.  There is lot modern vocabulary and imaginative avenues we just can't employ in a mytho-historical setting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version